What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Light Bulbs (1 Viewer)

ChiefD

Footballguy
I hate the new LED offerings in the stores. I never know which ones to buy to give me the proper glow in the house.

I either end up with the ones that look like hospital florescent lighting or a lower yellowish glow that makes the house look like a funeral parlor.  And since these LED lights last 27 years and cost about $900 apiece I'm stuck with them because I'm too stubborn and apparently stupid to keep trying to buy the right ones.

Blah.

:banned:

Look on the side of the box and get the 2700k, which is a warmer and more similar to incandescent color, warmer and a little yellow/orange. That's the bulb I spec for all my clients for residential use.

Most LEDs are 3000k, which is a crisper, white light. They always feel too white, too commercial for me. But I think people are getting used to them and I've started to have people request them lately.

Look on the side of the box and get the 2700k, which is a warmer and more similar to incandescent color, warmer and a little yellow/orange. That's the bulb I spec for all my clients for residential use.

Most LEDs are 3000k, which is a crisper, white light. They always feel too white, too commercial for me. But I think people are getting used to them and I've started to have people request them lately.
Thank you sir. If this works you will never buy a beer again if you ever come to Kansas City.

Those are like paint samples.  Looks good but probably a lot different once it's on the wall.
Not really.  That chart works quite well.  It helped that my in-house tech support researched this to death.

Last edited by a moderator:
Those are like paint samples.  Looks good but probably a lot different once it's on the wall.
Not really.  That chart works quite well.  It helped that my in-house tech support researched this to death.
Does 3000 look greenish to you guys in that? When I see it I person it always looks whiter.

But of course...a wall's color will react/combine with the color of the light differently based on the color of each. Subtly, sure- but enough to notice.

LED lights last about 6.2% as long as they say. 
Can we talk about this? I feel like I was sold a bad bill of goods on LED. I've replaced every single one I've ever bought multiple times when I was told, by the President of these God Bless United States of America no less, they would last hundreds if not thousands of years. I have found this statement to patently false and in fact...IN A MATTER OF FACT I SAY! I have incandescent bulbs that have far surpassed the paltry lives of these johnny-come-lately LED's. Methinks ole Tommy Edison was on to something 💡

Can we talk about this? I feel like I was sold a bad bill of goods on LED. I've replaced every single one I've ever bought multiple times when I was told, by the President of these God Bless United States of America no less, they would last hundreds if not thousands of years. I have found this statement to patently false and in fact...IN A MATTER OF FACT I SAY! I have incandescent bulbs that have far surpassed the paltry lives of these johnny-come-lately LED's. Methinks ole Tommy Edison was on to something 💡
I'm all over the board with this.  Some brands have been more problematic than others.  After initially buying a lot of "smart" bulbs I no longer do that and only buy smart switches.  I have learned to standardize the bulbs as much as possible and buy a few extras to keep as future replacements. I would lose my mind if I had one can light or different bulb color or look in a room that has multiple bulbs.

I'm all over the board with this.  Some brands have been more problematic than others.  After initially buying a lot of "smart" bulbs I no longer do that and only buy smart switches.  I have learned to standardize the bulbs as much as possible and buy a few extras to keep as future replacements. I would lose my mind if I had one can light or different bulb color or look in a room that has multiple bulbs.
Our bathroom has double sinks, over each is a light fixture with 4 cans. Each has a different bulb in them currently, you'd love it.

My wife just had to have the fixture that doesnt even have bulbs for our wntry way. Just a ring of LEDs perma attached. Cant wait to have to replace that whole thing. 

I am an expert and have single-handedly managed the successful upgrade and deployment of new environmental illumination systems with zero cost overruns and no safety incidents.

Last edited by a moderator:
How do you dispose of the old bulbs?  Used to be, we'd just throw burnt-out bulbs in the trash.  But they warn us about the mercury and such.  My wife recently learned that Home Depot accepts old bulbs.  But do they really need that special treatment?

How do you dispose of the old bulbs?  Used to be, we'd just throw burnt-out bulbs in the trash.  But they warn us about the mercury and such.  My wife recently learned that Home Depot accepts old bulbs.  But do they really need that special treatment?
depends on who you ask

Was just looking around at new bulbs and was thinking of trying the Philips Hue "White Ambiance".

You can adjust the light "temperature" from 2200 to 6500.

I think I might like to adjust a bit depending on the season.

There's full color options too but those seem a little overboard.

Two bulb set, BR 30, plain white non-adjustable: $35

Two bulb set, BR 30, adjustable white ambiance: $45

Two bulb set, BR 30, white and color ambiance: $90

Anybody have experience with these?

Was just looking around at new bulbs and was thinking of trying the Philips Hue "White Ambiance".

You can adjust the light "temperature" from 2200 to 6500.

I think I might like to adjust a bit depending on the season.

There's full color options too but those seem a little overboard.

Two bulb set, BR 30, plain white non-adjustable: $35

Two bulb set, BR 30, adjustable white ambiance: $45

Two bulb set, BR 30, white and color ambiance: $90

Anybody have experience with these?
Want to know which bulbs die quicker? The fancy dancy $45 a piece bulbs. I’d never spend the time or effort to play around with those bulbs. I don’t like the too white bulbs. I just get the warm white ones and put them in. I got two smart bulbs for free but I have no idea where I’ll put them because there’s no way I’m spending more money to replace all my current can lights to match.

Want to know which bulbs die quicker? The fancy dancy $45 a piece bulbs. I’d never spend the time or effort to play around with those bulbs. I don’t like the too white bulbs. I just get the warm white ones and put them in. I got two smart bulbs for free but I have no idea where I’ll put them because there’s no way I’m spending more money to replace all my current can lights to match.
65-Watt Incandescent BR30 Flood Light Bulb Soft White (2700K) (12-Pack) is what I usually get but I've been thinking they're a little too warm in our bathroom and would like to get something cooler.  I installed an LED adjustable fixture I got a deal on in our laundry room and I like that you can adjust the temperature to your preference and that's got what me thinking of having that ability in other rooms.

65-Watt Incandescent BR30 Flood Light Bulb Soft White (2700K) (12-Pack) is what I usually get but I've been thinking they're a little too warm in our bathroom and would like to get something cooler.  I installed an LED adjustable fixture I got a deal on in our laundry room and I like that you can adjust the temperature to your preference and that's got what me thinking of having that ability in other rooms.
I was just joking but I’ll be honest, I couldn’t see myself spending $45 on each lightbulb. I’d just find the bulb you like and go with that. I’m not that particular except that I’m not a fan of the cool white.

Agreed. 

Most living spaces I like 2700k. 
In bright bathrooms or kitchens I don't mind 3000k. 

We run these in non-dimmable applications around the house and have been happy. Under a dollar each for 10yr bulbs is a no brainer. 

We run these dusk till dawn bulbs on all exterior entryways. They have built in light sensors so they turn on at night and off in the morning automatically. Just leave the switch on. They're about 3.50 each. Again, totally worth it. 

They also have lamps with the same bulbs in 60W.   You don't like the lamp you can toss it and still have a bulb for a buck.

My wife just had to have the fixture that doesnt even have bulbs for our wntry way. Just a ring of LEDs perma attached. Cant wait to have to replace that whole thing. 
By the time it burns out, the light will be out of :style: and you should replace anyways.

Users who are viewing this thread