What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Disc Golf Addiction (1 Viewer)

Battersbox

Footballguy
So the Covid era has led me to the disc golf world, and I have to say it's been a great outlet in so many ways. Great exercise and a perfect way to get outside while social distancing. 

The people I've interacted with so far have been fantastic. There is a definite sub-culture of disc golfers who are 99% welcoming and chill about the sport. Demographically it definitely skews young, but feeling like the old man on the course hasn't dampened my enthusiasm at all.

I play probably 5 times a week beginning in mid-July. I've become more and more interested in the sport as the months progress, from the history of it to the current tour and prominent players. I find myself watching YouTube videos constantly, both instructional and recordings of tour events. I also have visited about a dozen courses in my immediate area and am excited to visit courses farther afield at the first opportunity.

I was stunned to not find a disc golf thread on these forums. 

Any other enthusiasts from the FBG realm? What do you throw? Where do you play?

Anyway - I’ve always thought disc golf would be fun.  I love to throw the frisbee with the kids.  I just don’t have the time and only know of one course like an hour away.

Anyway - I’ve always thought disc golf would be fun.  I love to throw the frisbee with the kids.  I just don’t have the time and only know of one course like an hour away.
It is great. One of those things you can learn pretty quickly and be decent, while still knowing there is still a huge amount of improvement to be made. I'm trying to get my son to be more interested, we'll see.

That is surprising about no local courses. There are tons of them across my area, and before I started playing I had no idea. There is a great app called Udisc which makes it easy to find them. 

Another great feature: it's free to play at virtually all courses as well.

It is great. One of those things you can learn pretty quickly and be decent, while still knowing there is still a huge amount of improvement to be made. I'm trying to get my son to be more interested, we'll see.

That is surprising about no local courses. There are tons of them across my area, and before I started playing I had no idea. There is a great app called Udisc which makes it easy to find them. 

Another great feature: it's free to play at virtually all courses as well.
I should get that app and check - I’m betting there’s some around and I’m just not aware of it.

So the Covid era has led me to the disc golf world, and I have to say it's been a great outlet in so many ways. Great exercise and a perfect way to get outside while social distancing. 

The people I've interacted with so far have been fantastic. There is a definite sub-culture of disc golfers who are 99% welcoming and chill about the sport. Demographically it definitely skews young, but feeling like the old man on the course hasn't dampened my enthusiasm at all.

I play probably 5 times a week beginning in mid-July. I've become more and more interested in the sport as the months progress, from the history of it to the current tour and prominent players. I find myself watching YouTube videos constantly, both instructional and recordings of tour events. I also have visited about a dozen courses in my immediate area and am excited to visit courses farther afield at the first opportunity.

I was stunned to not find a disc golf thread on these forums. 

Any other enthusiasts from the FBG realm? What do you throw? Where do you play?
https://forums.footballguys.com/forum/topic/637614-official-disc-golf-thread/?tab=comments#comment-14240779

Anyone in the central OH who wants to get a round in sometime shoot me a PM.  I’ve been playing a few years and I’m absolutely head over heels for it.  

This and disc golf are nothing alike.  You need a driver, a putter, a mid range, a straight disc, a curvy disc, etc...……..its not your Wham-O frisbee toss. 

It is serious business......hahahah

Not entirely the same sport but totally the same idea - Covid has been wonderful for my golf game and I'm grateful that I have the means and opportunity to play a sport that is very covid safe. 

I've played it a few times with buddies who are avid players. It's pretty fun and is pretty easy to become half-decent at (in contrast to regular golf). Great way to spend a couple of hours in the sun with some beers and friends. 

The OP is correct that it's almost a necessity to have at least a driving disc and a putting disc.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've played it a few times with buddies who are avid players. It's pretty fun and is pretty easy to become half-decent at (in contrast to regular golf). Great way to spend a couple of hours in the son with some beers and friends. 
This.  Golf was expensive, frustrating, felt snobbish at clubs, and as a result - generally not very enjoyable.  By contrast, disc golf has almost all of the same pros and almost none of the cons.

Disc golf >>> Golf

This.  Golf was expensive, frustrating, felt snobbish at clubs, and as a result - generally not very enjoyable.  By contrast, disc golf has almost all of the same pros and almost none of the cons.

Disc golf >>> Golf
Not this* but I appreciate the sentiment. :lmao:  

*I'm an avid golfer and prefer it greatly to disc golf, but I definitely think one of the best things about disc golf is that it is much easier to get to be good enough at it that you can play with anybody whereas it takes a lot of time, energy, and effort in real golf just to break 100 (and therefore be able to keep up with avid players). 

I've played it a few times with buddies who are avid players. It's pretty fun and is pretty easy to become half-decent at (in contrast to regular golf). Great way to spend a couple of hours in the son with some beers and friends. 

The OP is correct that it's almost a necessity to have at least a driving disc and a putting disc.
Most new players are going to be able throw putters as far as drivers.  Starting with putters only is a great way to develop good form and habits.  Drivers are very unforgiving.

Here's the post I was referring to

Understatement of the year. :)That's the funny thing about people who don't play. They think DG is basically heading out to the park with your FRISBEE and your dog. They've never thought about trying to hit a 35-40 foot put into a 15+ MPH headwind. Nor do they think about needing to throw a disc longer than a football field into said wind...sometimes with mere feet left/right or up/down to spare 200 feet off the tee.I love it. Next to my wife and girls, I'm not sure I love anything more (than disc golf) on the planet! It's darned near a spiritual experience...out in nature, launching the perfect anhyzer or S-curve 300+ feet away. JUST hitting the alley/window you needed to hit to leave yourself less than 15 feet for deuce. If you made me choose between never playing disc golf again or completely giving up sex, sign me up for the monestary I guess. //content.invisioncic.com/Mfootguy/emoticons/default_smile.png Guys who don't play...don't REALLY play, won't understand.

if there is anyone in central ohio who wants to go disc golfing there is a course around here so have a nice drive i dont disc golf because i have a lot of other hobbies take that to the bank brohans 

I envision a world when disc golf will just be 'golf', and those snobs will be forced to refer to their past time as 'ball golf'.
And I envision a world totally at peace with no economic strife. 

I don't think either of our visions are coming true. :coffee:  

i read a study where 8 out of 10 people vowed to get revenge against disc golf so read this thread with caution take that to the bank bromigos 

if there is anyone in central ohio who wants to go disc golfing there is a course around here so have a nice drive i dont disc golf because i have a lot of other hobbies take that to the bank brohans 
I guess I deserve that

• Thanks
Reactions: SWC
hoh i like the jibb of your cut because 1 your name is the same backwards and forwards and 2 your name inside out is oho and that my friend is pretty cool take that to the bank bromigo

• Laughing
Reactions: Hoh
Worm said:
I'm slacking. Family life and back/knee issues have taken their toll on my playing time.

But remember when we went out to celebrate my birthday and I got my 2nd ace ever? Good times.
Even the name of the perfect shot is better.  Ace >>>>> Hole-In-One

Worm said:
I'm slacking. Family life and back/knee issues have taken their toll on my playing time.

But remember when we went out to celebrate my birthday and I got my 2nd ace ever? Good times.
And then there was the time we nearly died beneath the desert sun  :eek:

I played disc golf today! Temps peaked in the mid 40s... and it was raining when we started. I don't have an addiction, you do.

Grew up in Clearwater playing a lot on a course that Ken Climo regularly played...of course we were in a slightly different state of mind than The Champ.

i haven’t played in 20 years probably because my shoulder started hurting after playing.

Last edited by a moderator:
Grew up in Clearwater playing a lot on a course that Ken Climo regularly played...of course we were in a slightly different state of mind than The Champ.

i haven’t played in 20 years probably because my shoulder started hurting after playing.
My set of friends are all my age-ish, late 40's. We've been playing only a few months and already 2 of us have had to switch to lefty only. I'm amazed at how quickly they both were able to improve with the left arm.

My set of friends are all my age-ish, late 40's. We've been playing only a few months and already 2 of us have had to switch to lefty only. I'm amazed at how quickly they both were able to improve with the left arm.
I kept playing but had to go to a rolling technique....which was boom or bust.  If it stayed straight...great...if it took a turn...could end up back at my feet.

I had to do it for a few years too, but it is an easy transition to lefty for former baseball players... think of the throwing motion like that of swinging a bat.  

Picked the game back up this summer after about 3 years off due to various injuries.  I was surprised how quickly I was able to get back to my (admittedly moderate) skill level.

Just renewed my PDGA membership for the first time in about 5 years and I see that my rating has gone up from 905 to 920.  Older and wiser, I guess.

Here's the post I was referring to

Understatement of the year. :)That's the funny thing about people who don't play. They think DG is basically heading out to the park with your FRISBEE and your dog. They've never thought about trying to hit a 35-40 foot put into a 15+ MPH headwind. Nor do they think about needing to throw a disc longer than a football field into said wind...sometimes with mere feet left/right or up/down to spare 200 feet off the tee.I love it. Next to my wife and girls, I'm not sure I love anything more (than disc golf) on the planet! It's darned near a spiritual experience...out in nature, launching the perfect anhyzer or S-curve 300+ feet away. JUST hitting the alley/window you needed to hit to leave yourself less than 15 feet for deuce. If you made me choose between never playing disc golf again or completely giving up sex, sign me up for the monestary I guess. //content.invisioncic.com/Mfootguy/emoticons/default_smile.png Guys who don't play...don't REALLY play, won't understand.
All those athletic achievements sound impressive, but still pale in comparison to leaping 20+ feet from boulder to boulder as a kid.

Question for the expert guys in here.

I've been reading about Scratch Score Estimates (SSE) and have been checking all the courses I usually play and naturally comparing my scores. My understanding is the SSE is basically what a 'pro' would score on that particular course. So, for example my home course is a par 58, and the SSE is a 49.5. I have progressed to the point where I can flirt with par each time I play. Is it fair to assume that if I played a round there with one of these guys from the Jomez videos they'd beat me by 8-10 throws on average? Do you find these SSE's to be that accurate?

Question for the expert guys in here.

I've been reading about Scratch Score Estimates (SSE) and have been checking all the courses I usually play and naturally comparing my scores. My understanding is the SSE is basically what a 'pro' would score on that particular course. So, for example my home course is a par 58, and the SSE is a 49.5. I have progressed to the point where I can flirt with par each time I play. Is it fair to assume that if I played a round there with one of these guys from the Jomez videos they'd beat me by 8-10 throws on average? Do you find these SSE's to be that accurate?
Your home course is an 18 hole par 3?

Users who are viewing this thread