What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Herb Adderley passes away at age 81 (1 Viewer)

Yogibear

Footballguy
I'm watching ESPN, and on the bottom line, they just flashed the news that Hall of Fame DB Herb Adderley has died at the age of 81.  He played 12 seasons for the Packers and the Cowboys.  He had 48 career interceptions.  He was selected All-NFL 5 times.  He played in 5 Pro Bowls.  And he was voted into the Hall of Fame in 1980.  Does anyone have any memories of Herb Adderley that they'd like to share?

I have his football card. I collected baseball and football cards between like 1967 - 71. Bart Starr, Boyd Dollar, Herb Adderly... I've seen every Super Bowl and remember watching the Green Bay Packers during that era playing my Lions on the frozen tundra of Lambeau Field. Now, ofc, it's regulated temp underground.

Herb Adderly was a great, and I mean great CB.    He and Willie Wood made up perhaps the best CB  tandem that I've ever seen, perhaps with the exception of Michael Haynes (HOFer) and Lester Hayes (SHOULD BE a HOFer; so should Cliff Branch for that matter but I digress).   

Those were the days when corners were very physical, and could hit WRs all the way down the field.   That Packer defense with Nitschke, Willie Davis, Adderly,  and Wood was just devastating.   I still remember his Pick Six in Super Bowl II (they didn't really call it that at the time) against my beloved Raiders.   Jesus, I'm OLD.... 

Last edited by a moderator:
actually Bob Jeter was the CB opposite Adderly while Wood (along with the Tom Brown/Doug Hart combo) were at safety....STILL, I agree with your basic premise: one of the greatest D backfields ever.....and YES, I'm OLD also... 

#64 of the Greatest NFL Players in 2010

-He returned a 60 yd interception return for a TD in Super Bowl II

"I love my father very dearly but I don't think about my father everyday, I do think about Coach Lombardi everyday"

-Herb Adderley

He played in 4 of the first 6 Super Bowls and won 3 Rings playing for both Green Bay and Dallas, he was instrumental in bringing the GB way of thinking or the Lombardi way to the Dallas Cowboys. 

Users who are viewing this thread