What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

What would you be willing to sacrifice to get back to normal? The next Lockdown Phase (1 Viewer)

Ministry of Pain

Footballguy
I would like to put some food for thought out there for ALL LIVES on this board, I don't care what jersey color you sport right now. Honestly if you look back, I was vocal prior to 2016 about Trump but I did not continue to spike the football after he won, in fact I steer clear of the politics thread all together, to me it's a lot of MM and I can't believe grown men have to summon mods and get timeouts, etc...anyways I don't desire that in any thread I'm trying to put together in here. I would prefer we try to mend some fences and that is why I want to try and put forth something constructive vs destructive, instead of dividing, let's stop fighting. We have some pretty smart folks around here, many partially educated and so I thought about an event that could drive the country into two camps and how could that issue actually be ironed out in a way the country could rally behind and get out of this funk. 

Would I be willing to go along with a lockdown that had a definite start and stop point and would have very clear rules/guidelines/laws for that period of time with the understanding we are going to try and return to thing prior to the pandemic or at least get this virus in our rearview mirror even if we have to make some changes moving forward? I think that's general enough to include a lot of folks, most Americans no matter who they voted for. 

-At this point, wouldn't most businesses like to have an opportunity that have stayed in the game, to know going into 2021 "OK we are going to get past this"

First things First and I want to be crystal clear about this. Any lockdown that does not involve the SHUTDOWN of ALL Airports to almost everyone, I point at that as a huge way this virus exploded down here in Florida as people vacated NYC to come down here. I feel like I have to always say this but I DONT BLAME THEM! I would have done the same (expletive) thing. That doesn't mean that locking down the airports wasn't a good idea, in fact I find it essential in any lock down game plan. 

And that's why I am wanting to get to this part. We can fight about Biden/Trump but what would really benefit all of us RIGHT NOW?! The inability to plan for the future, to not know if you are going to have a job or not, if the stock market is just over inflated and waiting to drop, there's a lot of uncertainty and I am very concerned for small business. I have many friends who own small businesses and I hold a Prop/Casualty Ins Lic and have watched a lot of businesses disappear over this pandemic. I think we really need to look at how much further back we are going to be set by long legal court battles over this election. 

We need to think logistics here. We have a lot of people who already had the Coronavirus and might be able to help out the others in their immediate community during a lockdown to help facilitate essentials that people will surely need. 

-We would need to send another stimulus check to tie folks over for 1-2-3 more month/months, we can discuss that number but I'm just laying out basics that you could package into a roaring speech and energize this country and end a lot of these other illnesses simultaneously like the mental issues. I personally am suffering from C.A.D. do you know what that is? Coronavirus Anxiety Disorder and a lot of people are suffering from it. Some folks call it fatigue but this is not just being tired and needing an afternoon nap. 

I'll turn this over to you all. I wanted to thank this board for once again showing me that I do have a voice when i want to be heard. Yesterday I got like a wild number of responses, likes, quotes in a very quick period and I was overwhelmed, hadn't seen that since the "exploit/avoid" threads so I thought I might take the lead and return the favor and give you all something you can sink your teeth into outside of all this bickering over ballot dumps. 

We've got to find something we can unite behind that doesn't involve wars, attacks, foreign boogeymen in the desert, we need to unite for a while and give people something they can feel good about. Just my opinion.

I need to share also the vibe I got from my conservative friends around town...what I am sharing here with you all doesn't seem to sound good to any of them. Meaning what I hear so far is a deep belief that it's OK if this thing plays out in the Courts for 6-12 months and Trump is still sitting as President come Super Bowl 55...so let's try and be understanding of each other and also can we get some thicker skin in here? I want to have a discussion that is more about how we could work together and try and get everyone to rally around something that benefits the most folks. And if I am way off here I'm sure you all will let me know but what I am sharing about the initial reaction by most conservatives I speak with, they aren't too hot for what I'm suggesting. 

The theme here is that a long court battle over a few thousand votes is going to further divide this country and go down a dangerous path IMHO. I'll shut up for a bit and would like to get some thoughts on any of this and let's try and stay away from things like "Lawsuit filed in PA" because I'm operating under the assumption that Biden will eventually be announced as the winner and we have many other election result threads, this is more of a philosophical discussion, nobody should have to apologize for who they supported to get to this point right now, what matters is what we can do together moving forward. 

Cheers!

All stores should require masks to shop. All events should require masks and social distancing. 

Wash your hands.

If a person knowingly endangers others by having a positive test and not following CDC guidelines, charge that person with reckless endangerment. A hefty fine or community service (to be served after the person is healthy)

We won't need another lockdown if the science deniers would just wear a mask, wash their hands, reduce the amount of time that they are unnecessarily around large groups of people, and use common sense when it comes to social distancing.

I just don't trust the postal service, can't remember the last time I sent anything thru the USPS, that's me. My wife feels similar, people should try to vote in person and we don't vote for the same Party but neither of us would feel comfortable just sliding our ballots in an envelope, sticking a stamp on it and letting it go. We thought mail in ballots were usually for those in the Armed Forces. I understand with the pandemic this year some folks felt no choice but that also is unfortunate that folks are using a lot of pseudo science to dictate their behaviors.

We won't need another lockdown if the science deniers would just wear a mask, wash their hands, reduce the amount of time that they are unnecessarily around large groups of people, and use common sense when it comes to social distancing.
:lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:   Love how you stereotype people that do that as "science deniers".  Pretty sure I know plenty of people from all political backgrounds that do the things you say.  But cheap shot politics, amirite?

I don't know that I'm in agreement with another "shut down" or "lock down."  But If the state decides to impose it, what am I gonna do?

I think if people would wear masks, wash their hands and social distance--our outlook would improve.  

Lockdowns aren't "free."  There's a lot of consequences to it.  

But if people would stop with the "supporting masks=not supporting Trump" mentality, and just did it--this would be a helluva lot better.  Honestly if Trump had told people to listen to fauci, social distance, wear masks, etc--the election might have gone differently.  I'm not here to go down that rabbit hole--if you feel the need to argue Trump would have lost anyways--I'll just concede the point.  But you don't win/succeed at anything by not doing the basics.  And we haven't been doing the basics.

All stores should require masks to shop. All events should require masks and social distancing. 

Wash your hands.

If a person knowingly endangers others by having a positive test and not following CDC guidelines, charge that person with reckless endangerment. A hefty fine or community service (to be served after the person is healthy)
OK, but I'm suggesting that we do something intense or largely uncomfortable for a few weeks in order to get back our lives or way of life. 

I want to get the public conditioned to eventually not need to wear those things or those that do will have very little reason other than just being a Hypo which we have tons of. I feel like I will be seeing folks wear them forever, long after the pandemic is declared as being over.  

But we need to at some point to be able to walk from my car to the tennis courts for example and not need to wear a mask outside in fresh air as the city of PBG was trying to enforce...at some point enough has gotta be enough. How do we put this problem in our rearview mirror as quickly as possible and do it in a way where most folks should feel like they will benefit. 

But good suggestions, I want to encourage people to participate by not being such a Gestapo even if we do have hefty fines, I want most people to do it because they want to, because they want to try and get back their lives the way they were. My wife and I have not taken a vacation or traveled because we don't feel comfortable being away from home right now, afraid of being in an urban city to visit right now and a news story breaks and we are in the middle of some riot we never signed up for, goofy stuff like that. not sure what States have restrictions and which don't, will folks look at us weird if we wear a mask in places where nobody is sporting them for the most part, should I even care? But regardless, these are the types of things that go thru folks minds and we need to try and work towards ending these problems, they are mentally exhausting. 

OK, but I'm suggesting that we do something intense or largely uncomfortable for a few weeks in order to get back our lives or way of life. 

I want to get the public conditioned to eventually not need to wear those things or those that do will have very little reason other than just being a Hypo which we have tons of. I feel like I will be seeing folks wear them forever, long after the pandemic is declared as being over.  

But we need to at some point to be able to walk from my car to the tennis courts for example and not need to wear a mask outside in fresh air as the city of PBG was trying to enforce...at some point enough has gotta be enough. How do we put this problem in our rearview mirror as quickly as possible and do it in a way where most folks should feel like they will benefit. 

But good suggestions, I want to encourage people to participate by not being such a Gestapo even if we do have hefty fines, I want most people to do it because they want to, because they want to try and get back their lives the way they were. My wife and I have not taken a vacation or traveled because we don't feel comfortable being away from home right now, afraid of being in an urban city to visit right now and a news story breaks and we are in the middle of some riot we never signed up for, goofy stuff like that. not sure what States have restrictions and which don't, will folks look at us weird if we wear a mask in places where nobody is sporting them for the most part, should I even care? But regardless, these are the types of things that go thru folks minds and we need to try and work towards ending these problems, they are mentally exhausting. 
We don't wear masks outside generally here, unless you're in a crowded space. Granted, my home town is probably less densely populated than others. 

I don't think you'll find much support for shutting things down again unless things get more out of control.

The goal should be to reduce the spread through reasonable precautions and those with higher risk take more precautions. 

I don't know that I'm in agreement with another "shut down" or "lock down."  But If the state decides to impose it, what am I gonna do?

I think if people would wear masks, wash their hands and social distance--our outlook would improve.  

But if people would stop with the "supporting masks=not supporting Trump" mentality, and just did it--this would be a helluva lot better.  Honestly if Trump had told people to listen to fauci, social distance, wear masks, etc--the election might have gone differently.  I'm not here to go down that rabbit hole--if you feel the need to argue Trump would have lost anyways--I'll just concede the point.  But you don't win/succeed at anything by not doing the basics.  And we haven't been doing the basics.
In Florida, they've been doing that for 6 months and it really has not wiped it out, in fact with softer phases issued by the Gov I believe our numbers have risen down here in the last month but you all have the statistics, I don't keep up as much on the news, at least not minute by minute.  

We don't wear masks outside generally here, unless you're in a crowded space. Granted, my home town is probably less densely populated than others. 

I don't think you'll find much support for shutting things down again unless things get more out of control.

The goal should be to reduce the spread through reasonable precautions and those with higher risk take more precautions. 
Let me frame it another way and I appreciate your posts/exchange. 

We want to get the country moving and we want everyone to get their heads out of the sand and start planning. We want to relaunch America and encourage folks to travel and spend money and drive the economy...but as things stand right now and with so many local governments going rogue right now, we need something that people can agree on. 

-Most folks like ice cream or cookies in some variety. If the option were Vanilla ice cream or NO ice  cream, while Vanilla might not be my favorite I will eat it and I know a lot of people love Vanilla even if I don't and since I like ice cream in general I will go along with it. I'm trying to make an in with you folks where you understand I want a platform that folks from both sides will want to jump on and be a part of so we can get back to normal. 

Are things running normal everywhere else but Florida? We were sitting around outside last night socially distancing having a beer after Tennis and talking and thinking how good we have it even with all the junk going on right now. For me personally, it's just not that bad. I haven't talked about it much but I took the virus seriously enough to stop eating out, mostly eat/exercise while things get ironed out meaning I avoid being out in public mostly right now except to exercise. I'm in the best shape of my life, honestly. Mentally? Verdict is still out we'll say  :whistle:

But I want to be comfortable anywhere in America and right now it feels like we are all children in Divorce Court waiting to see who gains custody of us. I would like to see a plan that is good for both sides and get every one energized and moving. There are other diseases besides Coronavirus like did you know Cancer research could be down by about 50% right now, that's horrible. We have other bigger issues if we don't get past this pandemic. 

In Florida, they've been doing that for 6 months and it really has not wiped it out, in fact with softer phases issued by the Gov I believe our numbers have risen down here in the last month but you all have the statistics, I don't keep up as much on the news, at least not minute by minute.  
No they haven't. Look no further than DeSantis.

There's been rampant lack of social distancing and opening of bars and other places where virus spread is guaranteed to happen..

There's been rampant lack of social distancing and opening of bars and other places where virus spread is guaranteed to happen..
We can argue about it until we're Blue in the face but I think I'm actually suggesting something a little more extreme in the hopes of re-opening and getting in the clear. Do we not all want the same thing Gian? Where is the disconnect or what am I missing? Why would we want to continue on with masks everywhere for months and months and months? Years perhaps?

The original "Sell" to the public here in Florida anyways at the time was that a 4 week assault on the CV thru mask wearing would wipe it out...that didn't happen. We had a Phase 1 that was fairly strict when they shut down beaches which I do not support BUT if we all agreed to a 4 week stay in the home and we can end this thing once and for all...well i might be supportive of a lot of things for a few weeks to get this pandemic in our rearview mirror. 

I don't want to live in a society where I have to wear a mask in the grocery store for the rest of my life. To be clear, you technically do not have to wear the mask in the grocery store BUT I wear it first and foremost because I would prefer to NOT catch it at this point AND I simply don't want deadly stares or people getting fidgety, I'm not the guy who runs in a movie theater and yells fire despite what some might think. But eventually I would like to shop and feel normal again. I haven't stepped inside a mall or store in so long I've forgotten they even exist. 

Last edited by a moderator:
I live in Florida, and all I can say about this post is, makes sense.
Me too, we shut things down largely for a good long while. Bars and restaurants, lot longer than a few weeks. 

But we didn't shut down the airports or stop all travel in and out of the State. These phantom check points along the FL/GA border and quarantine restrictions were a joke IMHO. 

Why would we want to continue on with masks everywhere for months and months and months.  
Because

1) It's a simple thing to do. It's just not a big ask.

2) It's an effective measure to limit spread of the virus while still being able to go out and do most things.

So no, we don't agree on what we want. A strict lockdown followed by relaxation of everything is not going to be effective in this country at this time. 

Until we finally accept this is how it's going to be for the near and intermediate future, we aren't going to improve. Hopefully with a change of leadership, we can get there.

Please my friend, I'm trying to not point fingers at individuals or politicians, it's been a fairly smooth ride even when things were super crazy with positive test results here. And Florida really shined during the elections and how we managed despite being the hot spot a couple times for this virus, somehow we managed to run things smoothly. 

I don't want to try and shame any of the leaders right now, I want folks to put aside those jerseys for a minute and talk about what's good for the most. Maybe we don't agree. Is it not good for people to feel free to work and not be exposed to this virus? I can understand why some are not jumping to get back to work under the current climate and so I think we need to work together to make this easier for folks to get back to living their lives. 

Because

1) It's a simple thing to do. It's just not a big ask.

2) It's an effective measure to limit spread of the virus while still being able to go out and do most things.

So no, we don't agree on what we want. A strict lockdown followed by relaxation of everything is not going to be effective in this country at this time. 

Until we finally accept this is how it's going to be for the near and intermediate future, we aren't going to improve. Hopefully with a change of leadership, we can get there.
That's the first place I would disagree or at least say there are two sides to that opinion. You say it's easy but mentally it's very hard on many people and you are somehow obtuse to that POV or simply will not acknowledge it. I guess coming together for the good of everyone is gonna be a lot more challenging than I thought. 

I live in Florida, and all I can say about this post is, makes sense.
Yeah. Having bars and restaurants fully open no matter where they are located is a bad idea if you're trying to prevent spread. I feel for the owners and we as a nation need to help them, but there has to be something done to curb the spread. DeSantis is also tweaking case numbers so what they actually are is open to interpretation imo. Same as always. 

ETA: I have done as much as I can as often since March. I wear a mask any time I am outside of the house, socially distance, and wash my hands a ton. I avoid busy places all together (I have dined at a restaurant maybe 3 times since March and all were outside). The reality of it is I am not worried about what I am doing, rather what a lot of other people are not doing. The selfishness/entitlement is astounding. 

Last edited by a moderator:
That's the first place I would disagree or at least say there are two sides to that opinion. You say it's easy but mentally it's very hard on many people and you are somehow obtuse to that POV or simply will not acknowledge it. I guess coming together for the good of everyone is gonna be a lot more challenging than I thought. 
When you say it's mentally hard, what exactly do you mean?

At the start oi the pandemic it felt weird for me to wear a mask in public.  Was it mentally hard for me then?  Because pretty soon I got used to it.  Now it seems weird to me when I see a group of people together that's unmasked.  

Yeah. Having bars and restaurants fully open no matter where they are located is a bad idea if you're trying to prevent spread. I feel for the owners and we as a nation need to help them, but there has to be something done to curb the spread. DeSantis is also tweaking case numbers so what they actually are is open to interpretation imo. Same as always. 
Good post Osaurus and I believe you might live here in Florida too. We have been wearing masks whether forced to or not inside most establishments I have been to...there are exceptions. 

I made a personal exception during the World Series to drive to Tampa to be with my son at Ferg's adjacent to the stadium. It was painful to not be able to take him to a WS game in person and I had a lot of rules, outside table, open space, his friends had to spread out but I gotta admit it didn't feel right. It felt like we were skirting the law and technically we weren't but it just didn't make me feel great despite the Rays winning Game 2 that night. I saw a lot of people not doing what we were doing and we also had masks and nay time I got up to maybe hit the rest room on it went and I did get some peculiar looks from some odd balls. 

We have been trying to have a wedding since March in this family, we keep delaying it or pushing it back, finally got so fed up we're holding it on St Pete Beach in the middle of the day, outside. i still think it's a bad idea because I can't control family from touching each other and being McGoofs. 

Mentally?  It’s hard mentally?  No - it’s hard emotionally for folks from the snowflake generation mindset to toughen up and, OMG, wear a freaking mask.  This is simple.  Easy.  We had hundreds of thousands of people go off to fight wars back in the day.  They didn’t have the ability to call home.  Or stay connected via email.  They were just off and away, in war zones.  THAT was tough emotionally.  THIS is nothing.

Good post Osaurus and I believe you might live here in Florida too. We have been wearing masks whether forced to or not inside most establishments I have been to...there are exceptions. 

I made a personal exception during the World Series to drive to Tampa to be with my son at Ferg's adjacent to the stadium. It was painful to not be able to take him to a WS game in person and I had a lot of rules, outside table, open space, his friends had to spread out but I gotta admit it didn't feel right. It felt like we were skirting the law and technically we weren't but it just didn't make me feel great despite the Rays winning Game 2 that night. I saw a lot of people not doing what we were doing and we also had masks and nay time I got up to maybe hit the rest room on it went and I did get some peculiar looks from some odd balls. 

We have been trying to have a wedding since March in this family, we keep delaying it or pushing it back, finally got so fed up we're holding it on St Pete Beach in the middle of the day, outside. i still think it's a bad idea because I can't control family from touching each other and being McGoofs. 
Tampa area (Riverview)

Why is wearing a mask mentally very hard on people?  I'm still trying to understand that.  People wear shirts and shoes to go in a store.  People wear seatbelts.  In most states, people wear helmets to ride a motorcycle.  Why is wearing a mask indoors or in crowds a big ask compared to those things?

Mentally?  It’s hard mentally?  No - it’s hard emotionally for folks from the snowflake generation mindset to toughen up and, OMG, wear a freaking mask.  This is simple.  Easy.  We had hundreds of thousands of people go off to fight wars back in the day.  They didn’t have the ability to call home.  Or stay connected via email.  They were just off and away, in war zones.  THAT was tough emotionally.  THIS is nothing.
Thank you.

The mental strain endured by surgical staff (doctors, nurses, etc) across the world for decades is mind-boggling. How have they worked all these years without cracking?

When you say it's mentally hard, what exactly do you mean?

At the start oi the pandemic it felt weird for me to wear a mask in public.  Was it mentally hard for me then?  Because pretty soon I got used to it.  Now it seems weird to me when I see a group of people together that's unmasked.  
Watching people act like sheep, that's the really hard part. It's not one thing Fatguy, it's a lot of things. I know you have a ton of personal experience with mental health and I hope you won't discount my sincere anguish mentally thru this pandemic as i watch friends with successful lives stripped of their businesses and falling into a system where they are reliant on public assistance with no real end in sight...that's a very difficult thing to experience for many. I am exposed to it daily thru the commercial insurance world if I wasn't clear what a P&C Lic does, I don't quote home insurance, I cover things like strip centers etc...lot of small business owners are direct friends and clients of mine and I know a lot of their employees and this is really tough to watch from the perspective. 

Then my wife works in a hospital and that is a whole other topic I would prefer to not unload in here if that's OK with you. Can I get a hug please because i thought this was going to be music to peoples ears. I'm shocked by the reactions to what I post on the 1st page. I'm nowhere close to where you all are at in looking at the map right now. I almost feel worse. 

Why is wearing a mask mentally very hard on people?  I'm still trying to understand that.  People wear shirts and shoes to go in a store.  People wear seatbelts.  In most states, people wear helmets to ride a motorcycle.  Why is wearing a mask indoors or in crowds a big ask compared to those things?
Why does wearing a condom make some men unable to perform?

-Most folks like ice cream or cookies in some variety. If the option were Vanilla ice cream or NO ice  cream, while Vanilla might not be my favorite I will eat it and I know a lot of people love Vanilla even if I don't and since I like ice cream in general I will go along with it. I'm trying to make an in with you folks where you understand I want a platform that folks from both sides will want to jump on and be a part of so we can get back to normal. 

Nice analogy. For most of us, going places while wearing masks is vanilla ice cream. Not preferred but acceptable for now.

? Why would we want to continue on with masks everywhere for months and months and months? Years perhaps?
That's going to happen until there's a vaccine or the virus is 100% wiped out (which won't happen)

Wearing masks is a hell of a lot easier than enforcing a complete lock down. 

Watching people act like sheep, that's the really hard part.
Right, I personally think that viewing mask wearing as "watching people act like sheep" is an unreasonable position that we should not be trying to accommodate.  I would prefer to get us to a place where nobody felt that mask requirements were making people "act like sheep."  It makes no sense to me to build health policy around trying not to offend people with ridiculous positions. 

Yeah...this isn't rocket science.  We don't need to "shut down" again.  Stay away from people, wear a mask, wash your hands and get government on board with more testing.  We can go back to a pretty normal life.  The only thing I'd still keep from happening is large sports events, concerts etc.  

The selfishness in people not willing to do their part is something we can't really fix outside of fines of some sort.  

Nice analogy. For most of us, going places while wearing masks is vanilla ice cream. Not preferred but acceptable for now.

That's going to happen until there's a vaccine or the virus is 100% wiped out (which won't happen)

Wearing masks is a hell of a lot easier than enforcing a complete lock down. 
I get that and we understand each other. 

Maybe the next choice has to be made that on't be so easy at first but the end result would be what we all want, the way things were from a public health perspective than where we are now. We need to get back to 2019 where we assault these fast food chains and sell Pelatons in the name of stopping cancer. 

Yeah...this isn't rocket science.  We don't need to "shut down" again.  Stay away from people, wear a mask, wash your hands and get government on board with more testing.  We can go back to a pretty normal life.  The only thing I'd still keep from happening is large sports events, concerts etc.  

The selfishness in people not willing to do their part is something we can't really fix outside of fines of some sort.  
All this.

The BIGGEST dilemma, IMO, is how we manage kids and schools. I still don't think we have a clear answer. 

The rest is pretty straight forward and shouldn't be debatable.

Me too, we shut things down largely for a good long while. Bars and restaurants, lot longer than a few weeks. 

But we didn't shut down the airports or stop all travel in and out of the State. These phantom check points along the FL/GA border and quarantine restrictions were a joke IMHO. 
We didn't here in Central Florida...gyms/nail/hair places and bars are the exception.  Everything else was open here.  I have been able to get takeout from all my favorite places this whole time.  I agree on the checkpoint thing.  Local news spent 6 months trying to find a single person that the state government followed up with after coming to the state to see if they were still quarinteening.  Not a single person could be found.  Of thousands, none of them were ever contacted again by the state.  It was a total waste of money.  We were on the good path to having this under control until the science diverged from the agenda.  Unfortunately the agenda won out making all that early COVID testing completely pointless and a waste of money.  

Watching people act like sheep, that's the really hard part. It's not one thing Fatguy, it's a lot of things. I know you have a ton of personal experience with mental health and I hope you won't discount my sincere anguish mentally thru this pandemic as i watch friends with successful lives stripped of their businesses and falling into a system where they are reliant on public assistance with no real end in sight...that's a very difficult thing to experience for many. I am exposed to it daily thru the commercial insurance world if I wasn't clear what a P&C Lic does, I don't quote home insurance, I cover things like strip centers etc...lot of small business owners are direct friends and clients of mine and I know a lot of their employees and this is really tough to watch from the perspective. 

Then my wife works in a hospital and that is a whole other topic I would prefer to not unload in here if that's OK with you. Can I get a hug please because i thought this was going to be music to peoples ears. I'm shocked by the reactions to what I post on the 1st page. I'm nowhere close to where you all are at in looking at the map right now. I almost feel worse. 
Tough to watch people lose their businesses?  Or see healthcare workers drained of their energy after months of this?  THAT I completely get.  100%.

Here’s the thing:  we can make it so much better for all those folks by doing simple stuff like wearing a mask, socially distancing, minimizing protracted indoor/close contact exposure.  IF we had done that from the beginning - or starting at, hey, any point in time - then our economy wouldn’t be getting crushed.  Our healthcare workers wouldn’t be beyond the point of physical, mental and emotional exhaustion.

But we didn’t do enough of those basic things.  Basic things that other countries, other people, had the discipline and fortitude to do.  So when are we going to buck up and gather together, dig deep and start this thing in earnest?  (Btw - I’ve been doing it for almost 8 months.)

All this.

The BIGGEST dilemma, IMO, is how we manage kids and schools. I still don't think we have a clear answer. 

The rest is pretty straight forward and shouldn't be debatable.
Our youngest has been back at preschool since August and no issue.  They mask them up when moving around, check their temps before entering school and throughout the day.  They also keep them in specific classrooms with the same kids in the classroom so they know where the kids that might get sick were in the school and who they were with.  They do allow them breaks without their masks while playing outside.  I don't think it would be a huge issue here to get the youngest back in school for sure.  I am not sure about high school.

Right, I personally think that viewing mask wearing as "watching people act like sheep" is an unreasonable position that we should not be trying to accommodate.  I would prefer to get us to a place where nobody felt that mask requirements were making people "act like sheep."  It makes no sense to me to build health policy around trying not to offend people with ridiculous positions. 
I hope you'll appreciate this but I'm not going to debate or argue with you. This message board houses a couple hundred if that these days, if you feel that way that's your right. But I know no matter how much you say the opposing view of yours is preposterous and you won't acknowledge it, that doesn't change how I feel either and it isn't the deciding factor other than how hard we tug on the rope. I respect your view even though I also find it outlandish and void of understanding or even wanting to understand a different view. the mask is a divider whether you acknowledge it or not. 

Here in Florida it is a huge divider and I'll see if anyone else in Florida want to chime in on that but you'e never going to convince all the folks keep doing it endlessly. 

Why would a plan that has a real end point or "GOAL" shall we say to get everyone back to their way of life and feel free to move about, why would that be a bad idea? Maybe I don't have the actual details right but getting a real time frame to get back to the way things were. 

I'm afraid the alternative is going to spark a lot of "civil unrest" let's call it and I really don't want to start naming off the hit squads from BOTH sides but it creates an environment that is ripe to recruit and I want the country to steer clear of any of that. 

We didn't here in Central Florida...gyms/nail/hair places and bars are the exception.  Everything else was open here.  I have been able to get takeout from all my favorite places this whole time.  I agree on the checkpoint thing.  Local news spent 6 months trying to find a single person that the state government followed up with after coming to the state to see if they were still quarinteening.  Not a single person could be found.  Of thousands, none of them were ever contacted again by the state.  It was a total waste of money.  We were on the good path to having this under control until the science diverged from the agenda.  Unfortunately the agenda won out making all that early COVID testing completely pointless and a waste of money.  
With you on the quarantine, never heard a word about it or the story of the family who traveled from New York and were forced into a make shift motel for 2 weeks, that never happened for sure. 

I know in Central Florida, they got a lot of people out of work from the tourism/Disney fallout that have filled up those pink and purple motels miles out leading into Kissimmee and such. 

Because there is no such plan, nor can there be such a plan, other than an effective vaccine that is widely distributed.   
That's why I guess I take to an internet message board because in here fantasies are reality. I'm trying to explore ideas, your take is Vaccine and until we get one, however long that process is, we will need to have on PP thru all of this. I'm not going to argue for or against it, just making sure our audience at home has clarity. 👍

That's why I guess I take to an internet message board because in here fantasies are reality. I'm trying to explore ideas, your take is Vaccine and until we get one, however long that process is, we will need to have on PP thru all of this. I'm not going to argue for or against it, just making sure our audience at home has clarity. 👍
Yes, that is my position.  I believe it is also the position of the overwhelming majority of scientists who study this stuff, including Dr. Fauci.  If your goal is to get people to stop wearing masks before we have a widely-distributed vaccine, then I don't share that goal and I actually think it's a dangerous one.  So there's no way for us to reach any sort of consensus here.

I'm sorry, but the idea that the physical act of wearing a mask is "mentally tough"...I just can't comprehend the logic. 

Is it annoying? Sure. Am I anxiously awaiting the day when I don't have to do it? Of course.  But other than that....come on.

It doesn't "represent" anything other a small nuisance that we all need to deal with in order to try and beat this thing. 

As for the original question....I'd be more than happy to have a full lock down for a month or even longer (especially now during the winter) if it meant we would beat this thing. And you know....thats exactly what a lot of us did from like mid March until early May. But others didn't,  which is why we are where we are.

Sonoma County has been in the most restrictive (now "purple") tier since GovGav ended Shelter-In-Place back in June, and there's really no way we'll ever get out of that status in the next six months. most in the hospitality industry are barely hanging on as it is, and going backwards to SiP or the equivalent is simply too much to bear. 

i understand this is a perfectly selfish viewpoint, and i've been 100% small-bubble, wear a mask, wash your hands, don't engage in risky behavior since the beginning of March. 

Sonoma County has been in the most restrictive (now "purple") tier since GovGav ended Shelter-In-Place back in June, and there's really no way we'll ever get out of that status in the next six months. most in the hospitality industry are barely hanging on as it is, and going backwards to SiP or the equivalent is simply too much to bear. 

i understand this is a perfectly selfish viewpoint, and i've been 100% small-bubble, wear a mask, wash your hands, don't engage in risky behavior since the beginning of March. 
👍

One question, why are you knocking out my poor Phins in your avatar?

I'm sorry, but the idea that the physical act of wearing a mask is "mentally tough"...I just can't comprehend the logic. 

Is it annoying? Sure. Am I anxiously awaiting the day when I don't have to do it? Of course.  But other than that....come on.

It doesn't "represent" anything other a small nuisance that we all need to deal with in order to try and beat this thing. 

As for the original question....I'd be more than happy to have a full lock down for a month or even longer (especially now during the winter) if it meant we would beat this thing. And you know....thats exactly what a lot of us did from like mid March until early May. But others didn't,  which is why we are where we are.
I'm not going to stop you all from these posts, they're fantastic and if you can take a step back which luckily I can because I am Independent more than anything else, these show the true colors and I applaud so many of you not afraid to reveal your intentions. 

The reason I would say that is it pushes towards government assistance and handouts which will be necessary to continue on like this. It's easy to turn our noses up at AMC Movie Theaters as an example but you cannot be naive that real folks are employed in these places. What do you do?

"Send Checks" and that sets us up for a GIP and that would seem to be very politically motivated on the surface. 

Appreciate Telef and if there's any way your Jets could win a couple games and get out of the Trevor sweepstakes 😉 

I have to get to my night time weekend job to make ends meet right now, actually it's so my wife and I don't fight and my drinking doesn't get out of control. 

I am going to leave @HellToupee at the controls for a bit. 

I do ask this of everyone, please keep it civil as a gift to MOP if you could. We don't need Mods, let's talk. It's more interesting to try and find common ground, we seem to gravitate towards the differences though so far. 

Saying things like "I cannot accept" or "I can't tolerate this POV" is not going to get us where we want to go.  Unless you are wanting a larger part of the country to be reliant on government assistance, we're not suggesting that are we?

Cheers everyone, I'll check back throughout the weekend to see if we make any headway in here. 

Oh and I benched Arron Rodgers last night so I'll be kickin myself in the corner for a good while too. 

Users who are viewing this thread