What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Will you get a Covid vaccine when available? (3 Viewers)

Will you get a Covid vaccine when available?

• Yes, as soon as it comes out

Votes: 236 55.4%
  • Yes, but not for a while until some time passes

Votes: 93 21.8%
  • No, I don't think it will be safe

Votes: 19 4.5%
  • No, I don't think it will be effective

Votes: 5 1.2%
  • No, I already had Covid

Votes: 13 3.1%
  • Unsure, but leaning yes

Votes: 32 7.5%
  • Unsure, but leaning no

Votes: 28 6.6%

• Total voters
Probably, but like others, I won't run out and get it the instant it is available, unless I get COVID between now and then and it kicks my ### and makes me desperate for it right away.  Otherwise, I will take the wait and see approach at first to see how the early testers react to it. 
I'm not sure you understand how vaccines work.

Just whether any form of autoimmune disorders occur.   Considering that a multitude of other people either due to their profession or due to their poor health will qualify for a vaccine prior to me, I'll gladly wait.   They can have it and benefit from the protection it offers that they more urgently need and I can get a little more peace of mind if nothing unanticipated comes about.  
Fair enough. But realize the autoimmune risks of any vaccine, with the possible exception of that for the 1976 “Swine” flu, are negligible. Guillain-Barré syndrome is probably the most frequently mentioned, but viral respiratory illnesses themselves are more strongly correlated with GBS than their vaccines.

A) I'm not sure how readily available the vaccine will be Day 1 and in my mind those most at risk should be given priority. 

B) I'm a contractor for the DoD currently WFH. There is a small but nonzero chance that my decision of when/if I'm getting the vaccine is made for me.

C) I'm not a fan of flu shots. My body reacts to them negatively to the point I no longer get them. To this point, I'm more than willing to wait for the covid vaccine. I'm not afraid of the vaccine but I'm also not terrified of the virus either.

Fair enough. But realize the autoimmune risks of any vaccine, with the possible exception of that for the 1976 “Swine” flu, are negligible. Guillain-Barré syndrome is probably the most frequently mentioned, but viral respiratory illnesses themselves are more strongly correlated with GBS than their vaccines.
I realize that but in my mind, the risks of having any issues with covid are probably even less so why take that chance?   I guess there is some non-zero chance that I could be an asymptomatic carrier that infects someone else that for whatever health reason isn't able to get vaccinated.  The idea of that does weigh on me and maybe pushes me into getting vaccinated when my opportunity arrives.   

I have never gotten a flu shot.  I am leery of this until there is more data.  So I put unsure, probably no.
I'm in a similar camp.  I think I've only gotten one in my lifetime, and only because we had two small kids at home and were living in the frozen tundra of Minnesota.

And knock on wood, I don't think I've ever actually had "the flu" either.  

But trust me, I'm no stranger to sickness.  I used to get bad sinus infections which led to bronchitis at least once a year when I was younger.  Now I just get a yearly sinus infection.

Jayrod said:
Isn't this the plot for World War Z and I Am Legend?

:unsure:
Not having a zombie smilie is a stain on this board.  :rant:

IC FBGCav said:
One question I have.  How do you test the effectiveness of a vaccine.  Years is what I thought.  

Do you inject people with the vaccine then weeks later with the virus?

How does this work?
With an R0 of ~3 it will show up in the population pretty quick.  If the US can innoculate 100M people early next year we'll see big changes in numbers by May.

JaxBill said:
A) I'm not sure how readily available the vaccine will be Day 1 and in my mind those most at risk should be given priority. 
Here is Colorado's list of priorities.  Seems mostly right.  2B seems more of a grab bag and I think folks like active cancer patients should be a good bit higher.  But, overall, it's reasonable.  My wife would be 1A and I would be 3, which is about right.  I don't see any provisions for vaccinating kids (I have a 15 year old and he isn't defined). 

Here is Colorado's list of priorities.  Seems mostly right.  2B seems more of a grab bag and I think folks like active cancer patients should be a good bit higher.  But, overall, it's reasonable.  My wife would be 1A and I would be 3, which is about right.  I don't see any provisions for vaccinating kids (I have a 15 year old and he isn't defined). 
yeah makes a lot of sense. only comment is that BMI > 30 is going to rope in a bunch of otherwise healthy folks.  That's more of a comment on American society than the plan.

yeah makes a lot of sense. only comment is that BMI > 30 is going to rope in a bunch of otherwise healthy folks.  That's more of a comment on American society than the plan.
Agreed - those should be in the 4 category.  Also don't think vaccinating incarcerated people is also a good use - by and large they have already been exposed.  Homeless folks, on the other hand, are a huge vector and should probably be up in the 1B range (assuming vaccination stops virus shedding, which we have no idea about right now).

Another day, another positive development in the mRNA vaccine category.

I'm much more enthusiastic about an mRNA vaccine than a standard vaccine. But I'm no expert. Am I missing something?

Standard vaccine: based on a weakened version of the virus. A certain % of the people will get sick from it, that % goes up or down depending on how effectively they balanced weakening the virus itself. If they left it "too strong", they're basically infecting a lot of people with the real deal. "Too weak" and not enough people's bodies learn how to fight it off well enough. Long term issues could be a massive rise in infections and a wave larger than anything we've seen so far. 

mRNA: based on the genetic code of the virus's RNA, but made without ever coming in contact with the virus itself. Basically, some scientists decoded the letters of the RNA in the virus, and emailed that to Pfizer and Moderna, and they've been working off of that text. Identified the protein in the points/spikes/"crown" of the virus molecule that latches on to normal cells, and uses the RNA signature of that specific protein to help the body identify and combat it before infection can occur. What are the potential downsides? I can see two... first, that by some weird biology, the protein on the spiked end of the virus is also by coincidence somehow a heretofore-unknown but vital protein that is also present in nature and is essential for human survival, but, hadn't been discovered yet. And we accidentally inoculate ourselves against it. Likelihood? Near zero? Second... maybe it gives a false sense of security? And results in some small waves/spikes/upticks in infection later in 2021? Likelihood... 5%? 10% But manageable?

Anything else I'm missing? Other than the one in a trillion shot that "oh, it turns out that the coronavirus spike protein is actually essential for life on Earth, but has been invisible for the last hundred years, and now we accidentally made ourselves immune to it", I don't see much risk in the mRNA-based vaccines, especially compared to the risks of a standard vaccine. You're not getting the weakened virus. It's never even seen the virus or been in the same room with it. It's just giving your immune system a photograph on a Wanted Poster for the virus and telling it how to kill it. 

Being fully transparent:

I initially said no chance I do ANY of them outside the one coming from Oxford.  They've been BY FAR the most transparent and open to their process/status/issues etc.  However, as I've been thinking about it, I probably need to walk that back a bit.  By the time there are doses available to me and my family it will have been through our military, first responders, front line workers etc and it's going to be in them for MANY months.  We're looking at Sept/Oct/Nov of next year before this is being pushed out to nonessential workers, so I will be watching closely and if it all seems to go well, then I'd be on board.  No chance I'd be rushing to the front of the line to do this if eligible though.

I don’t want one but I have a feeling we will be ordered to have one. DOD/DHS are at times used as legal guinea pigs, hopefully the side effects are minimal.

Unless you are a health care worker or someone that is at risk, most of us won't be eligible for this before next summer (my guess, no scientific backup for it). By then I think we'll all know the side effects and be able to make better decision than November 18th.

In order for me to travel again (and I don't travel a bunch) I think it's going to be a requirement at some point. Again, all this just my opinion.

fdas2 said:
I know someone familiar with the pfizer study, and was told they basically skipped phase 2, where dosage is determined.  If you read the protocol, https://pfe-pfizercom-d8-prod.s3.amazonaws.com/2020-11/C4591001_Clinical_Protocol_Nov2020.pdf, you'll see a phase 1 & a phase 2/3 with what appears to be a predetermined dosage amount which I think is 30 ug.   Little unnerving to me they are winging the dosage, but I could be misinformed/reading this incorrectly.

Someone more intelligent than me (no, not you tim) can chime in and tell me I'm an idiot.  I don't mind.
I'm not entirely sure how "dosage" works in an mRNA-based vaccine. They inject the right RNA into you and your body does the rest. It seems rather binary... either it works or it doesn't. It's not like there's a medication involved or there's an amount of the weakened virus your body needs to learn from. 

I consider myself fairly high risk after a  pretty severe pulmonary embolism in June. So I'll be in line the second they allow me to be.

i believe in vaccinations and have gotten many so i can travel but was never interested in being a guinea pig in the vaccine process
I knew i would get this vaccine when it came out but wouldnt be in the 1st wave to get so was hoping to be in the 2nd wave in mid summer (canada)

Last night i was bored and did some research on the vaccine trials up here and decided to sign up to be a guinea pig .
Im registered so will see what happens . i really want to get out and not worry about infecting anyone 

Misssing my answer, "no, I won't be a guinea pig".  I don't know it's not safe, so I didn't want to use that answer and skew a topic that has probably already been inflamed (haven't read yet).  I also don't know that it is safe either, so I'll continue distancing/sequestering and masking up until we have more definitive info.  I'd guess I'll need 6-12 months of clean data before I budge on this stance.

Not a chance.  

1) I'm not around old people that I know and they should get vaccinated anyhow

2) I'm very healthy and not even close to at risk

Last edited by a moderator:
Seems to be a massive anti vax push in progress now on social media.  I never cease to be amazed how stupid humanity can be.  

Multiple overpasses in dallas got targeted with anti vax nonsense today also.  I saw a few of them.  Who the hell is funding this

Seems to be a massive anti vax push in progress now on social media.  I never cease to be amazed how stupid humanity can be.  

Multiple overpasses in dallas got targeted with anti vax nonsense today also.  I saw a few of them.  Who the hell is funding this
Just saw a sign on an overpass in NC today that said something about the vaccine makers have no liability. Did make me pause and think for a minute but will still get at soon as it's available. 

It’s very sad. 

I saw a large banner on the pedestrian bridge over 635 by Dallas Medical Center. “COVID-19 vaccine makers have no liability”. 

I saw a large banner on the pedestrian bridge over 635 by Dallas Medical Center. “COVID-19 vaccine makers have no liability”. 
That statement is somewhat misleading, Vaccine makers pay into a fund to compensate for damages/injury.  Liability in this context is not limited to gross misconduct either.  This isn't some special clause for CV19, all them follow this process from vax for measles to whatever else is out there.

Not a chance.  

It's obviously a personal decision and I can respect anyone that chooses not to take it for safety reasons (or others), but as to the bolded, that is NOT the reason to pass.  It's the same reason we wear masks.  It's not just for you.  It's also to help protect you spreading it to others if you were to get Covid, even without symptoms. 

I had the virus in April and as of last week still test positive for antibodies. I live like I never had it on the advice of my GP.

I will get the vaccine as soon as it becomes widely available - I imagine frontline workers and high risk groups will be ahead of me in the queue.

Definately getting it. 

Know several people who have died from Covid and have a daughter with respitory issues. Also deliver food to the elderly and would like to protect them as much as possible. Bummed that so many don't buy into this. Totally understand if someone is hesitant because it feels so rushed and they want to see about side effects etc., but this anti-vaccine movement is going to cost a lot of lives. 

Yes, I definitely will. My occupation and industry rely on having a working, available vaccine in order to get back to some semblance of normalcy and for me to remain gainfully employed. It's not really an option. 

As a front-line primary health care provider I should be in the first tier of recipients and will happily take the vaccine as soon as possible.

I would do the same even if I wasn't in a high risk category.

My BMI is well within the normal range. I do cardio five days a week. I thought the exact same thing, right up until I ended up in ICU with my lungs almost fully blocked with unexplained blood clots. Without a doubt, COVID would have ended my life before this was discovered. And likely for quite awhile after I began the blood thinner treatment. So don't be to sure of yourself. Believe me when I say, you never know.

Not a chance.  

I worry a lot of people think this and decline it--which delays getting back to normal.  

i believe in vaccinations and have gotten many so i can travel but was never interested in being a guinea pig in the vaccine process
I knew i would get this vaccine when it came out but wouldnt be in the 1st wave to get so was hoping to be in the 2nd wave in mid summer (canada)

Last night i was bored and did some research on the vaccine trials up here and decided to sign up to be a guinea pig .
Im registered so will see what happens . i really want to get out and not worry about infecting anyone 
Link to joining ?

My BMI is well within the normal range. I do cardio five days a week. I thought the exact same thing, right up until I ended up in ICU with my lungs almost fully blocked with unexplained blood clots. Without a doubt, COVID would have ended my life before this was discovered. And likely for quite awhile after I began the blood thinner treatment. So don't be to sure of yourself. Believe me when I say, you never know.
Right. Dallas Cowboys Strength and Conditioning Coach just died at 54 years old. No health issues, then heart attack and dead. You never know.

Not a chance.  

So am I, at 44 years old.  And my family were the cautious ones.  Yet I still got COVID.  And it kicked my ###, not nearly to the point of hospitalization thankfully, for ten days.  And for 5+ weeks beyond that as I felt “better” my heart rate was bonkers, at 20+ bpm higher than normal at all times, even while sleeping. Now?  I think I’m better. But who really knows what the hell this thing actually does to you and what the long term impacts are.  I suppose you could say the same for a vaccine, but I’d trust that a hell of a lot more than whatever COVID itself might do to you.  So yeah, not sure why anyone wouldn’t want to get a vaccine for themselves.  And getting one protects others as well.  No brainer decision of the century IMO.

Health care workers with comorbidity  over 55.  Most health care workers around here already have had it.

Then the elderly.    

Then people over 55 with comorbidity.  That's it bye then they will have run out.  All of these are interchangeable.

They should incentivize it,  give $2000 to get the vaccine.

Hell yes - I don’t even care if it’s effective as long as I can get back to watching my kid play baseball.  Thought four years of college ball would be a blast to watch...list his entire soph year to shutdown and hoping his junior year is not the same.

My J&J trial appointment has been rescheduled for a third time citing a lack of product from Janssen (J&J).

Users who are viewing this thread