What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Expected Biden Policy Accomplishments (1 Viewer)

My point was it's kind of a silly question at this time.
Of course it is, but I suppose you could extrapolate what may happen in the most likely scenario.

Given the mess he’ll inherit and a non cooperative Senate, Biden will be fortunate to get much of anything accomplished. That being said, I like more of what I’ve seen from him as president-elect than anything Trump ever accomplished.

Last edited by a moderator:
TripItUp said:
Don't most reasonable people vote based on policy expectations?
Not in this case. 

When you have an incompetent person in a position of authority, the reasonable response  is to remove and replace that person. Political positions become secondary in such an instance. 

Not in this case. 

When you have an incompetent person in a position of authority, the reasonable response  is to remove and replace that person. Political positions become secondary in such an instance. 
And even then...yes, people posted about policy prior to the election and since then.  Biden spoke of policy prior to the election and since then.

The effort to act otherwise seems odd.

And even then...yes, people posted about policy prior to the election and since then.  Biden spoke of policy prior to the election and since then.

The effort to act otherwise seems odd.
so what are your expectations on policy?   Let's hear them.

Not in this case. 

So you are satisfied with no reasonable policy over the next 4 years.  That doesn't surprise me given people were satisified with Obama's tenure who accomplished very little over 8 years.

That is scary to me, with a country in dire need of better policy.

TripItUp said:
Don't most reasonable people vote based on policy expectations?
Most people probably vote party line, or single issue on hot button topics like abortion or gun rights. Or they vote for the “lesser of two evils”.

But sometimes they vote purely on personality. Not sure why, but some people are really drawn to the non-PC, alpha male persona, even when substantive policy is lacking, or worse, detrimental to public and economic health.

So you are satisfied with no reasonable policy over the next 4 years.  That doesn't surprise me given people were satisified with Obama's tenure who accomplished very little over 8 years.

Nobody is satisfied with policy lacking over a president’s term(s). Instead of taking a jab at Obama, why don’t you address the policies/changes people have listed as expectations under Biden?

Also to just claim in a bubble that Obama accomplished little ignores so many things (like an obstructionist Senate)

This is a deliberate misunderstanding of what I wrote, which was that policy is NOT the first priority. If you’re on a plane and you have a pilot who doesn’t know how to fly it, you replace that guy  with the first capable pilot you can find- it doesn’t matter whether he is a Democrat or Republican, a fascist or a communist. If he can fly the damn plane and land it safely that comes first. In this case landing the plane is analogous to getting us through this COVID mess. 

Once the plane is landed and we are safely on the ground then we can concern ourselves with normal policy issues. As it happens Joe Biden has some very specific policies that I agree with. How many he will be able to get accomplished depends largely on the Georgia election onJanuary 5 

I have basically ZERO expectations in terms of domestic policy.  I suspect Biden will spend most of his time during his 4 years undoing all the EOs (which aren't policy IMO) that set us on the bad path in terms of climate change.  I also expect him to be patching relationships with our allies and the various long standing treaties, accords etc that we were inexplicably pulled out of.  Basically, his legacy will become "eraser that had to fix what happened during the anomaly".  Now, if the Senate flips, I'd think the two biggest things he SHOULD focus on are healthcare and climate change.  He can do a lot on climate change though just by undoing the EOs.  

I have basically ZERO expectations in terms of domestic policy.  I suspect Biden will spend most of his time during his 4 years undoing all the EOs (which aren't policy IMO) that set us on the bad path in terms of climate change.  I also expect him to be patching relationships with our allies and the various long standing treaties, accords etc that we were inexplicably pulled out of.  Basically, his legacy will become "eraser that had to fix what happened during the anomaly".  Now, if the Senate flips, I'd think the two biggest things he SHOULD focus on are healthcare and climate change.  He can do a lot on climate change though just by undoing the EOs.  
I think his first few months will be those EOs and trying with allies...while also a large focus of the administration on COVID and vaccine delivery.

I think Iran will have to be addressed in the first year as well as trade with China.

I have basically ZERO expectations in terms of domestic policy.  I suspect Biden will spend most of his time during his 4 years undoing all the EOs (which aren't policy IMO) that set us on the bad path in terms of climate change.  
And yet CO2 emissions during the Trump administration have plummeted.  Let's not pretend like the outcome here wasn't good over the last four years.

I'll be interested to see what EOs can be overturned or if there are ones that are super sticky - the courts decided that some of O's EOs were completely inviolate.

Negative equals enemy?  Perhaps the press is negative...because he keeps doing negative things?
The media is biased - we all know that.  From the tenor of the questions that have actually gone to Biden lately I expect a lot of news the next four years over how the new cat and dog get along and what ice cream he keeps in the fridge.

And yet CO2 emissions during the Trump administration have plummeted.  Let's not pretend like the outcome here wasn't good over the last four years.

I'll be interested to see what EOs can be overturned or if there are ones that are super sticky - the courts decided that some of O's EOs were completely inviolate.
Are we in agreement, especially with these sorts of policies, that the effects aren't seen like we'd see with "on/off" switches but more like novocaine?  And if so, what point are you attempting to make with the bold?

The media is biased - we all know that.  From the tenor of the questions that have actually gone to Biden lately I expect a lot of news the next four years over how the new cat and dog get along and what ice cream he keeps in the fridge.
Has the tenor of the questions matched the tenor of who is being asked though?  Would you agree that Joe Biden is not antagonistic towards the media the way Trump was from day 1?

You mean in 2020?  Was this some nth  dimensional chess where Trump capitalized on a pandemic in order to cut emissions that no one else could ever achieve?

His term isn't over, so this pronouncement is a bit premature.  You ignored my last response on this topic (pasted below).  By the end of 2020 the DJT presidency will have had emissions well under the Paris Accord line.  Note China will be higher even with the pandemic.

Here is the historic graph.  US has bounced around the line.  We're on track to fall 9% this year - well under the line.  

China will be higher.  The Accord is going swimmingly.  

You mean in 2020?  Was this some nth  dimensional chess where Trump capitalized on a pandemic in order to cut emissions that no one else could ever achieve?
There are silver linings in what has happened in the last year.  This is one of the good items (along with a dramatically lower death count due to car accidents, among others).  As with all presidencies you get credit and blame for what happens under your watch.

We'll see how Biden does in 2021 to hold down emissions.

The above doesn't seem suggest that emissions are lower because of ...

There are silver linings in what has happened in the last year.  This is one of the good items (along with a dramatically lower death count due to car accidents, among others).  As with all presidencies you get credit and blame for what happens under your watch.

We'll see how Biden does in 2021 to hold down emissions.

The above doesn't seem suggest that emissions are lower because of ...
Lots of nuances in this whole space - the 2018 increase was weather related (at least according to that Polififact article).  So no credit for the pandemic, but blame for the weather?

Yeah - easier just to say that POTUS gets credit/blame according to what happens during their terms.

As with all presidencies you get credit and blame for what happens under your watch.
So I guess you don't agree with my premise above that these aren't "on/off button" kinds of policies/results...they are more like novocaine?  This is incredibly simplistic and shortsighted IMO....been saying that for two decades now.  Drives me nuts.

- Infrastructure project we desperately need

- Move towards renewable energy (tax breaks, etc.)

- Some immigration policies

- I consider civility from the office of the POTUS to be like a policy.  Stop calling the press the enemy, don’t attack 50% of Americans

- COVID - I would hope or expect more than what we have now 

So I guess you don't agree with my premise above that these aren't "on/off button" kinds of policies/results...they are more like novocaine?  This is incredibly simplistic and shortsighted IMO....been saying that for two decades now.  Drives me nuts.
Oh, I do.  I just give up on the selective application of what is due credit and due blame.  W was blamed for all that was ill with the US for about 6 years into the Obama administration.  Obama (stringently, on here) was given credit for all unemployment decreases under Trump (despite the fact that bouncing from the low is way, way easier than driving unemployment to the asymptote that Trump managed).  People either don't grasp the concepts or see them with rose colored glasses.

Now I just say 'eff it.  If it happened under your watch it's yours.  

- Move towards renewable energy (tax breaks, etc.)
Interesting dichotomy.  This, along with student loan forgiveness, will increase wealth inequality by moving money from the tax paying poor to the rich. Both are horribly regressive.  I look forward to seeing the political maneuvering on these two items.

Oh, I do.  I just give up on the selective application of what is due credit and due blame.  W was blamed for all that was ill with the US for about 6 years into the Obama administration.  Obama (stringently, on here) was given credit for all unemployment decreases under Trump (despite the fact that bouncing from the low is way, way easier than driving unemployment to the asymptote that Trump managed).  People either don't grasp the concepts or see them with rose colored glasses.

I don't believe the bolded is true...nor was W blamed for all ill for 6 years...but he was to blame for some things and should have received the blame (similar with where Clinton deserved blame for things...both dealing with economic effects of their presidency.  Obama was given credit for taking things in the right direction...the giving credit was about Trump and some of his supporters acting as if he did it all on his own for unemployment.  it was factually pointed out that things were started during the previous presidency.  Trump deserves credit for keeping it going and Im not sure anyone denied that.

it was factually pointed out that things were started during the previous presidency.  Trump deserves credit for keeping it going and Im not sure anyone denied that.
It was posited that the Trump part of the curve simply mirrored what Obama had done.  It was way above journalist's heads (who are largely liberal arts folks) that as you get toward the lower asymptote that keeping driving the rate down gets exponentially harder and proper credit was never given for that.  The natural bias of the press to avoid giving any credit to the administration for anything, so the chances of this being properly explored was zero.

This was reflected in here on many occasions in many discussions.  While DJT had massive, horrific failures in government, his ability to drive that rate to where it did was a massive achievement.  (And much like the Middle East peace agreements, was pointedly, universally ignored).

I hope Biden can recapture what DJT accomplished here.

Interesting dichotomy.  This, along with student loan forgiveness, will increase wealth inequality by moving money from the tax paying poor to the rich. Both are horribly regressive.  I look forward to seeing the political maneuvering on these two items.
I never said forgive student loans.

I proactively added that.   :P

It's an example of another govt. program that uses the money from the working class and largely benefits the wealthy.
I think there's a way to frame/rollout renewable energy where we all benefit.  I'm ok with the wealthy potentially benefiting "more" although I would also be ok if they tax the crap out of the wealthy so I may not be the right person to ask.

Individual and pass through tax cuts enacted in 2017 begin to reduce in 2021 and go away in 2025. Given what you wrote above that leads me to believe you're putting that on Biden. 

Individual and pass through tax cuts enacted in 2017 begin to reduce in 2021 and go away in 2025. Given what you wrote above that leads me to believe you're putting that on Biden. 
Items enacted in 2017 belong to DJT, for sure.

Users who are viewing this thread