What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

The 100 Greatest Songs of 1969 #1 Something (1 Viewer)

timschochet

Footballguy
As promised this is the latest of my countdowns, and it was by far the most difficult. The sheer depth of songs that I considered forced me to cut out a ton of absolute classics and personal all time favorites. What’s left is the best of the best. As before, the song in question had to first appear in 1969 either as a single or on an album.

100. “Octopus’s Garden” The Beatles 

99. “Brother Love’s Traveling Salvation Show” Neil Diamond 

98. “Candy Says” The Velvet Underground 

97. “Lodi” Creedence Clearwater Revival

96. “Feelin’ Alright?” Joe Cocker 

95. “I’ll Be Here In The Morning” Townes Van Zandt 

94. “Everybody Knows This Is Nowhere” Neil Young with Crazy Horse 

93. “21st Century Schizoid Man” King Crimson 

92. “Na Na Hey Hey Kiss Him Goodbye” Steam 

91. “I’ll Never Fall In Love Again” Dionne Warwick 

90. “Eli’s Coming” Three Dog Night 

89. “Come and Get It” Badfinger 

88. “Living In the Past” Jethro Tull 

87. “A Boy Named Sue” Johnny Cash 

86. “You Got the Silver” The Rolling Stones 

85. “Something In the Air” Thunderclap Newman 

84. “Wedding Bell Blues” The 5th Dimension 

83. “The Unfaithful Servant” The Band 

82. “Everybody Is a Star” Sly & the Family Stone 

81. “Cinnamon Girl” Neil Young with Crazy Horse 

80. “Venus” Shocking Blue 

79. “Living Loving Maid (She’s Just a Woman)” Led Zeppelin 

78. “Presence of the Lord” Blind Faith 

77. “Be Careful With a Fool” Johnny Winter 

76. “Raindrops Keep Fallin’ On My Head” BJ Thomas 

75. “Green River” Creedence Clearwater Revival

74. “Good Times, Bad Times” Led Zeppelin 

73. “Give it Up Or Turn It a Loose” James Brown

72. “Kozmic Blues” Janis Joplin  

71. “Sweet Caroline” Neil Diamond 

70. “The Thrill Is Gone” B.B. King 

69. “Up On Cripple Creek” The Band 

68. “Down On the Corner” Creedence Clearwater Revival 

67. “Does Anybody Really Know What Time It Is?” Chicago 

66. “Fare Thee Well, Miss Carousel” Townes Van Zandt 

65. “Hey Bulldog” The Beatles 

64. “Some Kinda Love” The Velvet Underground 

63. “Tonight I’ll Be Staying With You” Bob Dylan 

62. “Victoria” The Kinks 

61. “Communication Breakdown” Led Zeppelin 

60. “Ballad of Easy Rider” The Byrds

59. “Bad Moon Rising” Creedence Clearwater River 

58. “No Time” The Guess Who 

57. “Hot Fun in the Summertime” Sly & The Family Stone 

56. “Badge” Cream 

55. “I’m Free” The Who 

54. “Suspicious Minds” Elvis Presley 

53. “Put a Little Love In Your Heart” Jackie DeShannon

52. “Let It Bleed” The Rolling Stones 

51. “Beginnings” Chicago 

50. “What Goes On” The Velvet Underground 

49. “The Ballad of John and Yoko” The Beatles 

48. "Chelsea Morning" Joni Mitchell

47. “Cowgirl In the Sand” Neil Young with Crazy Horse 

46. “Helplessly Hoping” Crosby, Stills & Nash 

45. “Can’t Find My Way Home” Blind Faith

44. “Lady Lady Lay” Bob Dylan 

43. “Evil Ways” Santana 

42. “Kick Out the Jams” MC5

41. “Thank You (Falettinme Be Mice Elf Agin)” Sly & the Family Stone 

40. “Heartbreaker” Led Zeppelin 

39. “Monkey Man” The Rolling Stones 

38. “Pale Blue Eyes” The Velvet Underground 

37. “My Way” Frank Sinatra 

36. “Fortunate Son” Creedence Clearwater Revival 

35. “Dazed and Confused” Led Zeppelin 

34. “Don’t Let Me Down” The Beatles with Billy Preston 

33. “Spirit in the Sky” Norman Greenbaum 

32. “Ramble On” Led Zeppelin 

31. “Handbags and Gladrags” Rod Stewart 

30. “Questions 67 and 68” Chicago 

29. “Down By the River” Neil Young with Crazy Horse 

28. “My Cherie Amour” Stevie Wonder

27. “Across the Universe” The Beatles 

26. “Whipping Post” The Allman Brothers Band 

25. “Someday We’ll Be Together” Diana Ross & The Supremes 

24. “What Is and What Should Never Be” Led Zeppelin 

23. “Honky Tonk Women” The Rolling Stones 

22. “I Can’t Get Next to You” The Temptations 

21. “It’s Your Thing” The Isley Brothers 

20. “I Want to Take You Higher” Sly & the Family Stone 

19. “Pinball Wizard” The Who

18. “Proud Mary” Creedence Clearwater Revival 

17. “Here Comes the Sun” The Beatles 

16. “Babe I’m Gonna Leave You” Led Zeppelin 

15. “Midnight Rambler” The Rolling Stones 

14. “We’re Not Gonna Take It” The Who 

13. “Suite: Judy Blue Eyes” Crosby, Stills & Nash 

12. “Get Back” The Beatles with Billy Preston 

11. “Space Oddity” David Bowie 

10. “You Can’t Always Get What You Want” The Rolling Stones 

9. “The Night They Drove Old Dixie Down” The Band 

8. “Abbey Road Medley” The Beatles

7. “Come Together” The Beatles  

6. “The Boxer” Simon & Garfunkel 

5. “Both Sides Now” Joni Mitchell

4. “Whole Lotta Love” Led Zeppelin 

3. “I Want You Back” The Jackson 5

2. “Gimme Shelter” The Rolling Stones

1. “Something” The Beatles 

Last edited by a moderator:
100. The Beatles “Octopus’s Garden” (from Abbey Road

https://youtu.be/De1LCQvbqV4

The list kick’s off with Ringo’s signature song, a playful music hall inspired tune from one of rock’s all time greatest albums. 
A couple of years ago there was a 50 year celebration of “The Weight” on which Ringo played drums- the guy is ageless. He looks exactly the same. 

99. Neil Diamond “Brother Love’s Traveling Salvation Show” (released as a single) 

https://youtu.be/U5va1iaLj2M

The first line of this song is “Hot august night” which later became the title of one of the greatest live albums ever released, Diamond’s concert at the Greek Theater in Los Angeles in 1972. 
This song is a celebration of gospel music. The lyrics are pretty cheesy but Neil Diamond had a marvelous sense of pop melody and he demonstrates it here. 

99. Neil Diamond “Brother Love’s Traveling Salvation Show” (released as a single) 

https://youtu.be/U5va1iaLj2M

The first line of this song is “Hot august night” which later became the title of one of the greatest live albums ever released, Diamond’s concert at the Greek Theater in Los Angeles in 1972. 
This song is a celebration of gospel music. The lyrics are pretty cheesy but Neil Diamond had a marvelous sense of pop melody and he demonstrates it here. 
Outstanding start with these first two songs - this one in particular I love.  If there’s 98 better songs then this should be an awesome year.

98. The Velvet Underground “Candy Says” (from The Velvet Underground

https://youtu.be/XPgGjUSEWss

Candy Darling was a famous trans who was part of Andy Warhol’s crowd and a very tragic figure; Lou Reed wrote this ballad about her. Yet the lyrics are universal in their description of sadness: 

What do you think I’d see, if I could walk away from me? 

Reed didn’t want to sing the tune as he didn’t think he could give it the right emotion, so he got new band mate  Doug Yule to do it. However in later years Reed did perform it live, and per wiki it was the last song he ever performed live. 

98. The Velvet Underground “Candy Says” (from The Velvet Underground

https://youtu.be/XPgGjUSEWss

Candy Darling was a famous trans who was part of Andy Warhol’s crowd and a very tragic figure; Lou Reed wrote this ballad about her. Yet the lyrics are universal in their description of sadness: 

What do you think I’d see, if I could walk away from me? 

Reed didn’t want to sing the tune as he didn’t think he could give it the right emotion, so he got new band mate  Doug Yule to do it. However in later years Reed did perform it live, and per wiki it was the last song he ever performed live. 
Oh damn, the third VU album was this year. Huge treasure trove of stuff there. 

97. Creedence Clearwater Revival “Lodi” (from Green River

https://youtu.be/yA7iGxV6rt4

Lodi is a small town in Northern California; I’ve never been there. Neither had John Fogerty when he wrote this classic; he was simply using the name (which he thought sounded cool) as a symbol of all the small towns he had visited as an up and coming performing. 1969 was an amazing year for CCR and their presence will be formidable on this list. 

Lodi is a small town in Northern California; I’ve never been there. Neither had John Fogerty when he wrote this classic; he was simply using the name (which he thought sounded cool) as a symbol of all the small towns he had visited as an up and coming performing. 1969 was an amazing year for CCR and their presence will be formidable on this list. 
They put out three (!) albums in 69, all of which are fantastic. And found time to play Woodstock.

great song, but i cant think of anything more purgatorial than "stuck in Lodi again"... unless it's "waylaid in Yuba City", "Shanghaied In Chico", "lost in Stockton" or "guest o' Modesto"

95. Townes Van Zandt “I’ll Be Here In the Morning” (from Townes Van Zandt

https://youtu.be/AjGOxo0KDMs

I’m not sure there’s that many people in this forum who love Townes Van Zandt- I know @krista4 does. I regard him as one of our greatest songwriters, and my favorite country music artist of all time (in truth I don’t have too many.) This is one of his best love songs. The lyrics are so deceptively simple yet incredibly poignant: 

Close your eyes I’ll be here in the morning, close your eyes I’ll be here for a while. 

In the late 60s, right about this point in time, Kris Kristofferson was generally regarded as country music’s most talented lyricist, and don’t get me wrong he was very good. But I don’t think he was nearly as good as Townes. 

wikkidpissah said:
great song, but i cant think of anything more purgatorial than "stuck in Lodi again"... unless it's "waylaid in Yuba City", "Shanghaied In Chico", "lost in Stockton" or "guest o' Modesto"
Or if you have car issues in the middle of nowhere and your buddies drive over 100 miles to find you and the nearest garage is...

👉  HERE 👈

You leave a note and re-set your trip meter to 0.  You call the next day and he gives you a quote fall less than you expected but a day later when you pick up the vehicle the cost is over twice as much his quote, the trip meter reads over 50 miles has been put on your car, an interior panel is busted, and their is a tear in the roof in the back so you complain and his dumb looking flunky shrugs his shoulders so you 'consider' complaining to the BBB and then a week later you read the owner had been stabbed to death by a SCREWDRIVER and you know that dumb flunky is the one responsible...

Not say'n that EXACT same thing happened to me or anything like that because I can say with complete honesty that their is no better sight in the world than Baggs Wyoming....

In your review mirror as you head out of town.

timschochet said:
96. Joe Cocker  “Feelin’ Alright?” (From With a Little Help from My Friends

https://youtu.be/T461aWavPYo

Cocker took a little known Traffic song (that version is also brilliant) and gave it an emotional blues sound. The opening notes are quite seductive and reel you in: 

Seems I got to have a change of scene...
LOVE this tune.

Valdez Alaska summer of 91 in a fish camp with no fish for a few days so everyone is partying.  I'm in my tent resting when I hear an acoustic version being played with a fantastic vocalization by a BIG GUY who looks suspiciously like the early heavy version of John Popper and he's doing a beautifully deft dancing hippo jig and YOU are the only one to hear it and its sooooo goooooooooooood that you know you will remember it for the rest of your life.  

LOVE this tune.

timschochet said:
95. Townes Van Zandt “I’ll Be Here In the Morning” (from Townes Van Zandt

https://youtu.be/AjGOxo0KDMs

I’m not sure there’s that many people in this forum who love Townes Van Zandt- I know @krista4 does. I regard him as one of our greatest songwriters, and my favorite country music artist of all time (in truth I don’t have too many.) This is one of his best love songs. The lyrics are so deceptively simple yet incredibly poignant: 

Close your eyes I’ll be here in the morning, close your eyes I’ll be here for a while. 

In the late 60s, right about this point in time, Kris Kristofferson was generally regarded as country music’s most talented lyricist, and don’t get me wrong he was very good. But I don’t think he was nearly as good as Townes. 
"Townes Van Zandt is the best songwriter in the world and I'll stand on Bob Dylan's coffee table in my cowboy boots and say it." - Steve Earl

93. King Crimson “21st Century Schizoid Man” (from In the Court of the Crimson King

https://youtu.be/JLstJH23p7k

The Moody Blues had created progressive rock a year earlier but Robert Fripp, Greg Lake and co took it to new levels with King Crimson’s debut album. Sadly this was the only song I had room for on this list even though there is at least one other that is quite deserving. But “Schizoid Man” has Fripp’s magnificent guitar solo, widely regarded as one of the best in rock history. 

93. King Crimson “21st Century Schizoid Man” (from In the Court of the Crimson King

The Moody Blues had created progressive rock a year earlier but Robert Fripp, Greg Lake and co took it to new levels with King Crimson’s debut album. Sadly this was the only song I had room for on this list even though there is at least one other that is quite deserving. But “Schizoid Man” has Fripp’s magnificent guitar solo, widely regarded as one of the best in rock history. 
Amazing. I would have this way higher (Binky and Simey: lower).

waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay

too low. Birth of prog (Moody Blues.....................yeah, right) & metal in one song

94. Neil Young with Crazy Horse “Everybody Knows This Is Nowhere” (from Everybody Knows This Is Nowhere

https://youtu.be/bsZjKQEN1tY

Terrific country rock song- 1969 has so many of these. Neil sings about his disillusionment with Los Angeles and the music scene; Danny Whitten joins him on vocals. 
There are five Neil songs from 1969 that were in the top 26 of my Neil countdown. This was one. Will the other four show up? 

Awaiting reaction to #92...
i got no problem w the one-hit wonders that mr timmy lets seep thru - it's the numbers from Brill Building mimeographers of song who grew fuzzy dos & sideboards for a year to try for rock album sales or acts that if you put their albums on the turntable at any party of the appointed year would get you strangled w your own neckerchief and throwed down the alley by your plaid bellbottoms...

i got no problem w the one-hit wonders that mr timmy lets seep thru - it's the numbers from Brill Building mimeographers of song who grew fuzzy dos & sideboards for a year to try for rock album sales or acts that if you put their albums on the turntable at any party of the appointed year would get you strangled w your own neckerchief and throwed down the alley by your plaid bellbottoms...
Well the Brill had some real talent working there. 

91. Dionne Warwick “I’ll Never Fall In Love Again” (released as a single) 

https://youtu.be/FzQBOBoPg04

Written by Burt Bacharach and Hal David for the musical Promises, Promises, and then given to Dionne Warwick as part of a string of monster hits produced by this team during the late 1960s. 
So here is an infamous tale from my family lore: around this same time period Dionne Warwick was my mom’s favorite artist. When my dad learned she would be performing in Vegas (I believe it was at the Sands Hotel) he surprised my mom with a plane flight and great seats for the show. My dad shelled out a lot of money for those tickets. Dionne Warwick had a cold; she sang 3 songs and then, 15 minutes into the show, she said “I’m not feeling it tonight” and left the stage, never came back. My mother remained a fan but my dad was always extremely pissed about this. He felt she was unprofessional and complained about it the rest of his life. 
Additional fun personal fact: Burt Bacharach was the first performer I ever saw live- that was in 1974 at the Greek Theater. This time it was my mom who was sick so my dad took me instead. Opening act was Anthony Newley. 

90. Three Dog Night “Eli’s Coming” (from Suitable for Framing)

https://youtu.be/1A2eet1bttY

Sorry @wikkidpissah
In all seriousness I’ve never quite understood the disdain for Three Dog Night- they were basically a cover band but a very good one and some extremely talented songwriters eagerly offered them material to use, including the author of this song, Laura Nyro. This will be the first of two Nyro classics on this list. 

https://youtu.be/1A2eet1bttY

Sorry @wikkidpissah
In all seriousness I’ve never quite understood the disdain for Three Dog Night- they were basically a cover band but a very good one and some extremely talented songwriters eagerly offered them material to use, including the author of this song, Laura Nyro. This will be the first of two Nyro classics on this list. 
There was a discussion in the Genrepalooza draft thread about the randomness of who is and isn't in the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame, and some folks thought Three Dog Night belongs there. I suspect the fact that they didn't write their own songs is held against them. 

I have not listened to much of Nyro's own work, but I know all the famous covers like this one, and I have some friends who think she's a genius. Also in that camp is Todd Rundgren, who became obsessed with her work in the late '60s, making her sound a cornerstone of his final material with Nazz and his first three solo albums. She even offered him a gig to be her bandleader, but he was still under contract with Nazz at the time. 

Last edited by a moderator:
92, Steam “Na Na Hey Hey Kiss Him Goodbye” (from Steam
Was expecting the story about how this was the B-side to a terrible song that Steam liked but the record company forced them to rush out a single for the B-side.   Steam was in such a rush to put out the A-side song long forgotten that they didn't even bother to put in real lyrics, hence the Na Na Hey Hey verse which they consider throw away lines to a throw away B-side song that they didn't think would do anything.  DJs didn't like the A-side tune and started playing the B-side making Kiss Him Goodbye a huge hit.

91. Dionne Warwick “I’ll Never Fall In Love Again” (released as a single)
I always had a soft spot for this tune.  Remember my dad liking a version done by a different singer as a kid.  Decades later I go to the movies with some friends from work and was very happy to see THIS  version.

My older sisters left their old warped scratched albums when they moved out so I had limited library to play so a few groups will always rank high with me. 

Eli's Coming is a classic IMHO.

There was a discussion in the Genrepalooza draft thread about the randomness of who is and isn't in the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame, and some folks thought Three Dog Night belongs there. I suspect the fact that they didn't write their own songs is held against them. 

I have not listened to much of Nyro's own work, but I know all the famous covers like this one, and I have some friends who think she's a genius. Also in that camp is Todd Rundgren, who because obsessed with her work in the late '60s, making her sound a cornerstone of his final material with Nazz and his first three solo albums. She even offered him a gig to be her bandleader, but he was still under contract with Nazz at the time. 
perhaps not a genius, but a musical savant to be sure. and the gateway to the female soul for anyone who was curious at the time. for my money, the most important woman musical artist of her age and my life. have a rainy day cognac sesh w her New York Tendaberry sometime and you'll have a much better idea how women can both hold the fort thru intolerable ####storms without relief and cry on the bathroom floor for three days.

i had the great pleasure to watch her work. my Boston hangout in the 70s was Intermedia Studios and a friend was sent to bring some tapes out to some home studio (rare in those days) in the burbs asked me if i wanted to come along. it was my idol, Nyro, working on her Smile album. ten piece band of totalpros (inc the Brecker Bros). Miss Laura didn't read, simply didn't know, was apparently synesthetic and i watched her spend the afternoon convincing session musicians how to play less orange notes and to know when pink turns to rose. remarkable -

was apparently synesthetic and i watched her spend the afternoon convincing session musicians how to play less orange notes and to know when pink turns to rose. remarkable -
First heard of it about ten years ago.  I think its not a condition but an evolutionary trait that some are blessed with.  I think its an awesome ability.

Wiki definition:   Synesthesia

Synesthesia or synaesthesia is a perceptual phenomenon in which stimulation of one sensory or cognitive pathway leads to involuntary experiences in a second sensory or cognitive pathway. People who report a lifelong history of such experiences are known as synesthetes. Awareness of synesthetic perceptions varies from person to person. In one common form of synesthesia, known as grapheme–color synesthesia or color–graphemic synesthesia, letters or numbers are perceived as inherently colored.[8][9] In spatial-sequence, or number form synesthesia, numbers, months of the year, or days of the week elicit precise locations in space (for example, 1980 may be "farther away" than 1990), or may appear as a three-dimensional map (clockwise or counterclockwise). Synesthetic associations can occur in any combination and any number of senses or cognitive pathways.

Little is known about how synesthesia develops. It has been suggested that synesthesia develops during childhood when children are intensively engaged with abstract concepts for the first time.[13] This hypothesis – referred to as semantic vacuum hypothesis – explains why the most common forms of synesthesia are grapheme-color, spatial sequence and number form. These are usually the first abstract concepts that educational systems require children to learn...

and Three Dog Night were gummy bears in an age where exciting new amalgams of epicurian fusion were busting out on a weekly basis
I like gummy bears. 🧸 

Users who are viewing this thread