What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Footballguys Site News - Thanks David (1 Viewer)

Joe Bryant

Guide
Staff member
Wanted to let folks know some news. I wrote this in the Email Update tonight.

Footballguys Company News From Me (Joe)

Sometimes a person's life goals change.
Such is the case with co-founder David Dodds. He will be exiting Footballguys that he helped build at the end of this 2020 football season.
David has no concrete plans as of this announcement but he says he is "looking to live a healthier life with proper sleep, better diet, and more exercise. He has lost 30+ pounds since mid-July and is looking to shed even more as he ramps up his Peloton workouts."
This is something we've talked about for some time. David and the staff have been working together all season and will continue to work on making sure the transition is as seamless and smooth as possible.
I will continue as head of all operations and I'm super excited for the future of Footballguys.
I hope this goes without saying but I'll say it anyway. There's zero drama or juicy news to go with this. I love David like I always have and wish him nothing but the best and I'm excited for his future.
We're focused on giving Footballguys customers everything we can to help them win this year and doing all we can to ensure it stays that way for the future.
This sums it up.

Nothing but love for David and I'm happy for him. And excited about the future for Footballguys. 

Last edited by a moderator:
All the best to you and your future endeavors David. One of my favorite fantasy football/football memories is hanging out and chatting with you and other FBGs at the 2007 NFL draft. Just a fun weekend of draft excitement and talking football with other football geeks. And looking back, what an incredible draft that was, Calvin Johnson and AP in the same draft!, (and also the longest 1st round in history which was a bit brutal). I’ll certainly never forget the shock of sitting there and hearing them announce the Randy Moss to the Patriots trade.

Thanks for all the fun you added to fantasy football over the years and all my best wishes to you.

ETA:

Wanted to add a couple more memories of that draft.

I may be mis-remembering as it was so long ago and I’m terrible with names anyway, but I think Matt Waldman was there with one of the first versions of the Rookie Scouting Portfolio and I was like “who the heck does this guy think he is!?” :lmao:

Standing on the sidewalk outside of Radio City Music Hall all night to get wristbands to get into the draft the first day was both one of the dumbest and most fun things I’ve done. Dumb because it certainly wasn’t comfortable, but so much fun standing there talking football with other huge fans all night.

Also, I still have the BEJ hat Dodds gave me. It makes me smile when I see it thanks to both the memories of that weekend and all the cool people I’ve met and discussions I’ve had on these boards.

My name is Dave Gerczak, co-founder of FFPC. I first met with Joe and David back in 2010 at an FSTA (Fantasy Sports Trade Association) trade show. We (along with my business partner Alex Kaganovsky) discussed doing a joint venture mid-stakes contest to be called the Footballguys Players Championship. It was launched in 2010 with a modest $50K grand prize and 1200 team cap. Over the past 10 years, the contest has grown and so has our mutual friendship. I have gotten to know David and Joe much better, meeting with both dozens of times. I could not speak more highly of both David and Joe, both as businesspeople but moreso as human beings. They have been a pleasure to work with at 95% of the time, and the other 5% was probably mine or Alex' fault. :) . Both Alex and I wish David the best and will miss working with him, whether it is his passion about sending league winner medals to everyone (which is a pain but sort of worth it, lol) or debating the flattening of the $3 million+ current prize pool for the Footballguys Players Championship. We love and respect David and he will be greatly missed. He says he is coming to Vegas in future years which will be great as it will be much more fun and chill for him.  We can have more Colossal Stone Crab or Madagascar Shrimp at Joe's in Caesars, and you are buying. Best of luck, Dodds, you've earned it!

We (FFPC) look forward to our future partnership with Joe Bryant and the excellent Footballguys team, as well as their dedication to carrying the FBG flag for decades to come. David leaves this organization in excellent shape and we look forward to their continued ability to provide a superb product day after day and week after week. 

I had the privilege of talking to you at the 2003 WCOFF Auction Master's draft. We were both just watching and I remember some team drafted Jeremy Shockey & Todd Heap back to back at the turn and you turned to me and said, "That's an interesting strategy." We ended up talking for like 20 minutes. Will always remember the Mr. Football days and Old Yeller, best of luck David!

Interesting enough, the next day I drafted in the same 12 team WCOFF league and right next to Dave Gerczak @Leroy's Aces and his drafting partner. Dave was already highly regarded in the FF community, I believe he finished top 5 in the 2002 WCOFF. We both ended up fishing in the top 12 in 2003, good times.

ETA: Gotta add a shout out to Appleton, Wisconsin

For many years now the expertise of David has really helped me in my leagues and then also in DFS.  I'm very appreciative of what Joe and David have built.  Best of luck to David in whatever adventure comes next.  And also best of luck to Joe in attempting to fill the huge hole left behind. 

Thanks for all you have done with Footballguys.com. I will treasure the memories of meeting you in Las Vegas at the Staff Hangouts and the various contests that you provided. I thank you for the knowledge shared over the years. It was so much fun to draft those speed drafts on line with fellow staff members. Best wishes for whatever you have ahead and congratulations for what you have already accomplished!

End of an era.  Dodds was always my tie breaker when I just couldn't pick between two players.  It's hard to imagine this place without him, but I have faith in Joe and the rest of the staff.

DD will always be known as the OG of value-based drafting and spawned many imitators who never quite measured up. Thanks for all you've given to the fantasy football community for many years. Football Guys will not be the same without him but I trust that, like so much in the world around us, FBG will take this loss as an opportunity to make it even better in the future. 

I was wondering when this place was going to shut the lights off, perhaps this is the first part of this or are the boards and FBG site going to continue on?

Good Luck DD, I loved your 1st Website that you had prior to joining forces with JB and the FBGs.

On a personal note, I've been hanging out in Otis Diet Thread and I myself am also living a healthier lifestyle, much continued success in whatever Avenue of Life you pursue. 

Much love everyone. It has been a great journey from the most humbling of beginnings at mrfootball to the temp hangout of Cheatsheets.net and finally to the place I have called home for my adult life here at Footballguys. I love everyone of you and thank you for making my dream of working in this industry possible all these years.

It's been an unbelievable ride and I have enjoyed every minute of it.

I was wondering when this place was going to shut the lights off, perhaps this is the first part of this or are the boards and FBG site going to continue on?
Hi @Ministry of Pain  I hope you weren't serious, but Footballguys is how I and quite a few others support our families. "shutting the lights off" isn't remotely on the radar. This thread is to let folks know the news and to honor our friend David. 

All of the best to @David Dodds on whatever lies ahead for you in the next chapter in your life and in the pursuit of your happiness.

I would like to extend to you my deepest thanks and appreciation for your contributions to the fantasy football community - first with Mr. Football and subsequently with everything that you have built here at Footballguys.com.

Your work will be missed of course, and I take comfort in knowing that this place is in good hands with @Joe Bryant and the rest of the team here at Footballguys.com.

Warmest regards,

Faust

Much love everyone. It has been a great journey from the most humbling of beginnings at mrfootball to the temp hangout of Cheatsheets.net and finally to the place I have called home for my adult life here at Footballguys. I love everyone of you and thank you for making my dream of working in this industry possible all these years.

I showed up at cheatsheet.net, and I’ve appreciated all your guidance since. Thank you, David. All the best going forward, and take it easy, man. Cheers🍻

David Dodds has been and will be a name synonymous with fantasy football and class. You and Joe have done what most in the world couldn't, keep a bunch of middle aged know it alls from getting at each other on a message board and instead create a community full of discussions instead of arguments. okay, there are always exceptions, but it's a collection of passionate people who speak their mind and have been doing so for decades thanks to you. Thank you and good luck to you sir.

Hi @Ministry of Pain  I hope you weren't serious, but Footballguys is how I and quite a few others support our families. "shutting the lights off" isn't remotely on the radar. This thread is to let folks know the news and to honor our friend David. 
-I sent you back a PM, thanks for yours. 

-I didn't mean any harm, I just assumed that it was the beginning of the break up of the band, I am happy to hear that this is not the case and it's also why I put a question mark on the end, I wanted to hear from you and find out what was up. You answered that question, much appreciated. 👍

I am guessing copper has reached a price point that DD doesn't need to grind anymore. Glad to hear it!

For fantasy football I feel like I just got a leg up on my competition without doing anything because DD will not be helping them anymore.

Thank you for everything David Dodds. One of the best to ever do it.

David Dodds has been a fantasy North Star for so many years, and is a true difference-maker -- both to this site and the hobby that is fantasy football.

I hope that we get to continue to bask in your fantasy brilliance in another capacity, but whatever your next endeavor is, I am sure you will be equally successful and impactful. You leave an extraordinary legacy and should be proud of what you've helped build, and the many (like me) who have benefited from your wisdom and insight are so thankful for all that you've done.

Best of luck and you'll be missed.

Hats off to you @David Dodds.  I so much appreciate the blood, sweat and tears that have gone into this place for so long.  Your efforts with this community have greatly enhanced my fantasy football experience for years.  You have provided me with an online home away from home.  For that, I will be forever grateful to you and the staff you have assembled.  Best of luck to you in whatever lies ahead.  Although you may not be leading the charge anymore, I hope you will not be a ghost.  Keep us posted as you move on to the next chapter.

Well damn @David Dodds, how in the hell am I going to set my sliders up on the my draft and league dominators now!?!  (Currently set at 80% Dodds). You’re killin me bro!  

Seriously though thank you for all you’ve done for this industry and for this class of the field FF site.  Enjoy your ride into the sunset, may many lazy days with cocktails in hand be yours to enjoy.  

Congrats David,  I found this site back in 2004 along with another site (rhymes with the cuddle). Money was limited at that time so I had to chose carefully which site I gave my money to.  This place felt a  lot more like a family and there was so much content I couldn't wrap my head around the cost (thought it should have been way more but very glad it wasn't).  You have helped me win my leagues many times over the years and even though I don't post on the message boards a lot, I come here every day to catch up on the latest "gossip".  Thank you for you contribution to this community and fantasy football.  

Best of luck in all your future endeavors David, you and Joe built an amazing product that has been a joy for years to enjoy. God Speed! 

Thanks @David Dodds for over a decade of relying on your rankings and website.  Always felt I had an edge over other websites and their rankers.

Wish you the best though am a little sad you're leaving.

I hope whoever @Joe Bryant gets to fill your shoes as the primary ranker can live up to yours.  I like Bloom and Tremblay a bit but always relied on yours much more than theirs.  Joe any announcement on who will become the main ranker for FBG now?

Regardless, all the best and thank you for everything!

I hope whoever @Joe Bryant gets to fill your shoes as the primary ranker can live up to yours.  I like Bloom and Tremblay a bit but always relied on yours much more than theirs.  Joe any announcement on who will become the main ranker for FBG now?

David's spent this year and will spend the rest of this season helping us with this transition so we can keep our standards exactly where they've always been. We're focused on 2020 but excited about 2021 and beyond. 

Dodds mentioned on social that he was parting ways with FBG after this season to pursue other endeavors. After many years leading the industry with Joe & company, it's hard to fault him for wanting to try something new. 

Curious for others thoughts on how that might impact FBG's rankings and other services.

From what I understand, Dodds was responsible for FBG's "official" rankings, with Maurile and Bloom providing "alternate" rankings. 

Dodds mentioned on social that he was parting ways with FBG after this season to pursue other endeavors. After many years leading the industry with Joe & company, it's hard to fault him for wanting to try something new. 

Curious for others thoughts on how that might impact FBG's rankings and other services.

From what I understand, Dodds was responsible for FBG's "official" rankings, with Maurile and Bloom providing "alternate" rankings. 

Thanks. Trying to keep this together in one spot.

David's spent this year and will spend the rest of this season helping us with this transition so we can keep our standards exactly where they've always been. We're still dialing in 2021 but for now, focused on 2020. And we're super excited about the future. We've always had multiple experts doing rankings and we think that gives us the best product. We don't have "official" or "alternate" projectors. I'm obviously biased, but I think all our people are excellent there. Our plan is to continue having multiple projectors for the future. 

You will be missed @David Dodds. Now head over to the poker thread and get registered so we can stay in touch - really miss the old poker playing days with you, but we have a great group of guys still playing.

Good luck, mi amigo!

Quite simply, this place has been an online home for me since the days of Ol' Yeller. Upon discovering FBG, I realized there were other uber cool nerds- just like me that lived to pick apart the 4th quarter of a Seahawks-Chargers preseason game back at the turn of the century to find some obscure advantage in a subsequent draft. These boards gave me an advantage in all of my leagues for many years, back when you had to seek out information to have an edge. 

The concept of VBD was a true difference maker for me. I was ahead of my league mates for years based upon this essential Dodds piece.

A most sincere thank you for pioneering the hobby we all love. Without sounding like a cliche- you are a trailblazer. You helped pioneer a league winning difference maker- thank you and best of luck going forward.

Dodds thanks for everything you do, definitely won’t be the same. From the great content to the great stock tips on Nvidia I didn’t have the stones to take. 😂

Keep us updated on future ventures, best of luck!

Users who are viewing this thread