What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Does the amazing speed in which the Covid vaccine was developed (9 months) make a case that Big Pharma is a good thing? (1 Viewer)

timschochet said:
Do you have a link that the current ratio is 80% in the other direction? 
While it's not a link I think you might enjoy watching Season 1, Episode 3 in the Netflix series "Dirty Money". The name of that episode was entitled, "Drug Short".

timschochet said:
Is it possible that the vast amount of money earned from those tv commercials contributes to the development of a Covid vaccine in 9 months? 
FINALLY, the "trickle down healthcare" that we've all been waiting for!

@timschochet Glad you started this thread.  This was something I was thinking about the last couple of days.  

As a anti-Big Pharma person, this development does give me pause.  Also as someone who has been closely following the stock market and researching these companies lately, they aren't making that much money.  Maybe these stupid high drug prices are needed.

@timschochet Glad you started this thread.  This was something I was thinking about the last couple of days.  

As a anti-Big Pharma person, this development does give me pause.  Also as someone who has been closely following the stock market and researching these companies lately, they aren't making that much money.  Maybe these stupid high drug prices are needed.
Pretty sure pharmaceutical companies are among the most profitable in the US, and they certainly make the most money within the healthcare sector.

Returning to the original question, don't China and Russia both claim to be ahead of the US in the process of development and distribution of a vaccine?  Yes, I'm aware that those claims cannot necessarily be trusted, but if we assume they are true for sake of argument, is that not an indicator that the current structure of "Big Pharma" is not necessarily optimal or required as the fastest way to get to a vaccine?

Hmmm...Not into business stuff, but there are quite a few Pharma companies on the Fortune 500, and pharmaceuticals are consistently listed among the most profitable industries.

Top 20 industry, with net profit 18.3%

Fortune 500 graph
Exclusive Premium statistic

You need a Single Account for unlimited access.

Full access to 1m statistics

Incl. source references

Available to download in PNG, PDF, XLS format

Single Account

$39 $59 per month * 

in the first 12 months
We could not locate the page you requested.

Our apologies. It may have expired or there could be a typo. We have been notified of the problem, and are working to resolve it. You can try refreshing the page or find what you need on our home page.
Bet they aren't as profitable as Statista 😉

Hmmm...Not into business stuff, but there are quite a few Pharma companies on the Fortune 500, and pharmaceuticals are consistently listed among the most profitable industries.

Top 20 industry, with net profit 18.3%

Fortune 500 graph
Honestly trying to understand it myself.  Maybe it's just a lack of growth in revenue.  MRK, PFE, BMY and been stuck in the mud for decades.  Natural population growth alone should be increasing revenue though.

Honestly trying to understand it myself.  Maybe it's just a lack of growth in revenue.  MRK, PFE, BMY and been stuck in the mud for decades.  Natural population growth alone should be increasing revenue though.
I don’t know, but between highly paid CEOs, pharmaceutical reps, extensive advertising and exorbitant drug prices, there’s plenty of evidence it’s a lucrative industry.

Returning to the original question, don't China and Russia both claim to be ahead of the US in the process of development and distribution of a vaccine?  Yes, I'm aware that those claims cannot necessarily be trusted, but if we assume they are true for sake of argument, is that not an indicator that the current structure of "Big Pharma" is not necessarily optimal or required as the fastest way to get to a vaccine?
I assume their statements are NOT true. But we’ll find out eventually just how true they are. You’re correct that if they were true I’d likely have to reassess my thinking on this. 

China was pushing out vaccines while the "trials" were going on and they stopped when things went wrong in Brazil...at least this is what my buddy living in southern China has told us.  On a side note, life in China, for them, is pretty much back to normal.  Some people wear masks all the time when in public, so they don't go away completely, but they seem to be back at that phase of life.  Weird huh?

I assume their statements are NOT true. But we’ll find out eventually just how true they are. You’re correct that if they were true I’d likely have to reassess my thinking on this. 

China is poised to deliver large quantities of COVID vaccine to much of the world. I don't completely trust their data, but remember that over a billion Chinese are in line to receive a made in China vaccine. 

The USA and the West are using more advanced technology to make the Moderna and Pfizer vaccines, which come with advantages (production), but disadvantages  (storage, possibly unknown risks).

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.usatoday.com/amp/6311228002

https://www.bloomberg.com/amp/opinion/articles/2020-11-16/u-s-china-and-the-covid-19-vaccine-race

BnB, big pharma has never returned much to the shareholder.  See PFE over the last 2 decades.

Though, more importantly, your last statement is worth comment.  The US currently has a system where it refuses to negotiate drug prices with pharma.  As a result, US drug prices are insanely higher than abroad, where they do.  In effect, the US subsidizes the world in pharma.  The US pays to develop and validate drugs and then foots almost all that cost while the rest of the world reaps the benefits.

In a perfect world (i.e. lock up the lobbyists for a few years) the US would enact law that Medicare, Medicaid, the Indian health systems, and the VA will use a drug price that's the average of what is charged to Canada, the EU, Australia, Japan, China, Russia, and whomever else makes a splash in this market.  Then delay the law a few years to give big Pharma the opportunity to renegotiate with all those countries.  That way we have a system that still rewards the research, but doesn't place all the burden on US consumers and govt.  Watch US drug prices drop substantially.

It drives me nuts to the extent that we are being taken advantage of (our own doing due the the ACA, for the most part).  We don't have to kill the golden goose to keep innovation here, we just need to level the playing field.

China is poised to deliver large quantities of COVID vaccine to much of the world. I don't completely trust their data, but remember that over a billion Chinese are in line to receive a made in China vaccine. 

The USA and the West are using more advanced technology to make the Moderna and Pfizer vaccines, which come with advantages (production), but disadvantages  (storage, possibly unknown risks).
The Russian and Chinese vaccines should give everyone due to take it pause.   Their truncated testing regimens are very sketchy (certainly Russia).

As we've found out with Norway's vaccine fiasco from not too long ago, these things need proper vetting.  I don't think Russia and China did nearly enough there.

BnB, big pharma has never returned much to the shareholder.  See PFE over the last 2 decades.

Though, more importantly, your last statement is worth comment.  The US currently has a system where it refuses to negotiate drug prices with pharma.  As a result, US drug prices are insanely higher than abroad, where they do.  In effect, the US subsidizes the world in pharma.  The US pays to develop and validate drugs and then foots almost all that cost while the rest of the world reaps the benefits.

In a perfect world (i.e. lock up the lobbyists for a few years) the US would enact law that Medicare, Medicaid, the Indian health systems, and the VA will use a drug price that's the average of what is charged to Canada, the EU, Australia, Japan, China, Russia, and whomever else makes a splash in this market.  Then delay the law a few years to give big Pharma the opportunity to renegotiate with all those countries.  That way we have a system that still rewards the research, but doesn't place all the burden on US consumers and govt.  Watch US drug prices drop substantially.

It drives me nuts to the extent that we are being taken advantage of (our own doing due the the ACA, for the most part).  We don't have to kill the golden goose to keep innovation here, we just need to level the playing field.
Most of what you wrote is correct, but has nothing to do with the ACA.  The same drug-pricing system was in place long before the ACA.

Most of what you wrote is correct, but has nothing to do with the ACA.  The same drug-pricing system was in place long before the ACA.
Very true, but it was one of the last things that was changed to make the ACA palatable, if memory serves.

The AZ vaccine is based out of University so...Russia and China were both first to the table with vaccines.  

depends on. how you look at it. rna vaccine development was publicly funded. pfizer/biontech developing specifically to treat covid was not.

I think the last part was a bit of hyperbole on FG's part?  Maybe not?  Either way, there is no question that China basically stopped this thing in it's tracks.  They were essentially back to "normal" in December/Early Jan.  My friends have been allowed back to their normal lives and maskless for months now.  Of course, the Chinese government continues to have very rigid rules about who can come into the country and who can leave, but within it's borders they are back to every day living.  I don't know that this event makes a good argument "for communism" but it does show what that form of government can do and allow in situations like this.  It also clearly illustrates what can happen to COVID when a group of people is actually locked down.....like really locked down.

Last edited by a moderator:

Users who are viewing this thread