What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2020 - 2021: Self Improvement (1 Viewer)

bostonfred

Footballguy
I see so much negativity about 2020 but I'm really excited about it. This is an unprecedented opportunity. In your whole life, when have you had so much time available to improve your life?  For people working from home, think of all the time you are getting back on your commute. For people bemoaning the fact they can't go out, think how much time you have to do pushups, or learn a language, or finally figure out how to moonwalk, or finally understand what your teenage daughter is talking about, or lose that weight or do some yoga and see if it helps with that weird thing you have been feeling that you don't talk about. 

This is the thread to discuss the things we are doing and to commit to some goals together. 

In the otis fad diet thread, a bunch of us have committed to things like tracking calories, doing 30 hours of exercise in 30 days of November, doing 30 days of Yoga with Adriene (free YouTube yoga practices that are highly recommended) and more. 

Right now my goals are to help my autistic son be able to fully participate in class with his typically developing peers, improve my marriage, get my house ready to sell, do 100 consecutive pushups in one set, do my first pull up since I was a kid, do 60 minutes of activity every day in November, run a 26 minute 5k, improve my career, draw better and finally start writing. And flossing. Please don't tell my dentist but I still suck at flossing. 

I didn't have all of these goals in 2018. I was bored, unhappy and unmotivated. I started with one goal, losing my gut, and then slowly added things to the list. I was never the guy you would follow to an exercise program. But I'm finally taking things seriously and this pandemic has put me in the position to make lemons into lemonade.  It's probably doing the same for you. 

Let's work together in this thread to make our lives better. Commit to something and be accountable to each other.  Listen to what I'm doing and others are doing and follow along. Try a 30 day challenge that matches your goals. Do something outside your comfort zone. 

Let's make the rest of 2020 and 2021 the best we can under the circumstances so we can be proud of the version of us that emerges when things finally maybe hopefully go back to normal.  

https://hundredpushups.com/

This is a six week program to take you from barely able to do pushups to doing 100 in a row. I started a few months ago and still haven't done 100. I am ok with that. I'm 45 and not in great shape but holy #### do I look better than i did when I started, and I can do a set of 50 or 60 without thinking twice. This program worked great for me and other people here seemed to like it too. Feel free to use this as your accountability thread - it helped me a lot to do the same in the Otis thread.

Again- I am not a doctor and this is not medical advice. Consult your doctor before beginning this or any exercise program .

https://www.myfitnesspal.com/

This is the app I've used to lose well over 50 lbs. The best way for me to take control of my calorie intake was to actually keep track of my calorie intake. Sadly I am not done losing weight but I'm fn killing it and would be happy to discuss my experiences with anyone in this thread or over im if you're uncomfortable sharing. 

I may have mentioned this before but I am not a doctor and this is not medical advice. Consult your doctor before beginning this or any diet or exercise program.

November challenge-

60 minutes of exercise each day the rest of the month.  Walk run swim row dance yoga i don't care just get your hour a day.  

This is a six week program to take you from barely able to do pushups to doing 100 in a row. I started a few months ago and still haven't done 100. I am ok with that. I'm 45 and not in great shape but holy #### do I look better than i did when I started, and I can do a set of 50 or 60 without thinking twice. This program worked great for me and other people here seemed to like it too. Feel free to use this as your accountability thread - it helped me a lot to do the same in the Otis thread.

Again- I am not a doctor and this is not medical advice. Consult your doctor before beginning this or any exercise program .
was in the midst of doing this program when i got sidelined by surgery. 6 weeks no exercise. i'm one week away from rebooting from scratch.

i'd made it up to 50 consecutive (235 across sets, but only 50 in a single run).  i really want to get to 100.

was in the midst of doing this program when i got sidelined by surgery. 6 weeks no exercise. i'm one week away from rebooting from scratch.

i'd made it up to 50 consecutive (235 across sets, but only 50 in a single run).  i really want to get to 100.
I did this with bostonfred.  Ended up hitting 82 consecutive.  Don't really care about the 100 as my goal was just to get stronger and I certainly did that.  I've taken a little break from pushups but plan to start making it part of the routine in December.

Think I will give this a go.  Started hitting our treadmill with iFit back in mid-June, and have lost over 20 lbs.  Been running about 15 miles a week, and doing another 3-5 miles of hikes at the max incline.  The iFit runs have been great. Trainers are very motivating, and it's been nice to set up 3 mile runs in some of my favorite places using Google Maps/Streetview and feeling like I am there (St. John, Lake Placid, etc.) 

Turned 50 in September, still have about 5 more lbs I want to lose, and am looking to start working the upper body a bit more. Seemed to have stalled out around 175 lbs, been tough to get under. 

Sleeping better, feeling great, and want to keep the momentum going. 

I plan to work on much better self-control when it comes to eating and drinking.  I'm doing a good job with exercise but I still drink more than I should be.  My eating habits are ok but I want to start replacing the mixed nuts with an apple for my afternoon snack.  I want to replace the bowl of cinnamon toast crunch with a bowl of oats and raspberries.  I've started to take some baby steps over the past couple weeks but would like to just make this a way of life.  

Think I will give this a go.  Started hitting our treadmill with iFit back in mid-June, and have lost over 20 lbs.  Been running about 15 miles a week, and doing another 3-5 miles of hikes at the max incline.  The iFit runs have been great. Trainers are very motivating, and it's been nice to set up 3 mile runs in some of my favorite places using Google Maps/Streetview and feeling like I am there (St. John, Lake Placid, etc.) 

Turned 50 in September, still have about 5 more lbs I want to lose, and am looking to start working the upper body a bit more. Seemed to have stalled out around 175 lbs, been tough to get under. 

Sleeping better, feeling great, and want to keep the momentum going. 
Nice. It's not a huge time commitment and it made a huge difference for me and a few other people here. 

What is ifit?

30 days of yoga with Adriene - great for beginners, only about 20 minutes a day. Maybe you can do it between meetings?

Note - I am not a doctor and this is not medical advice. Consult your doctor before beginning this or any diet or exercise program. 
I haven't done Adriene's 30 day session, but I finished Yoga With Tim's 30 day challenge earlier this year.  I've been doing yoga for 10+ years and this is the first one I've ever committed to finishing.  Another option if anyone is considering getting into yoga.

I did this with bostonfred.  Ended up hitting 82 consecutive.  Don't really care about the 100 as my goal was just to get stronger and I certainly did that.  I've taken a little break from pushups but plan to start making it part of the routine in December.
since pausing i've noticed a definite decline in strength. right now (since i can't lift things) it's showing up when i try to throw a ball for my dog. 

my shoulders feel weak and there's a twinge when i let loose. looking forward to getting back at it and rebuilding what i lost.

Haven't felt very inspired lately, but maybe someone else's goals might inspire me. I work out pretty religiously so I'm good in that department, but always looking for new ideas and inspiration. Good thread, bf. :thumbup:  

Haven't felt very inspired lately, but maybe someone else's goals might inspire me. I work out pretty religiously so I'm good in that department, but always looking for new ideas and inspiration. Good thread, bf. :thumbup:  
A little inspiration 

https://youtu.be/TkX-TPaodoM

This pandemic sucks, people are dying, the economy's cooled way off, people are generally more depressed and taking self destructive behaviors but there's still an opportunity here to better yourself. What is your version of the minor in French culinary arts?  

This year has been about minimizing distractions and enhanced efficiency, so I can devote more attention to our kids. That attention is not necessarily in a direct way, but I've wanted to maximize the amount of time I have available to them. They're generally self sufficient, but all of this is hard on them and they're not going to bat 1.000. When I notice the foundations starting to crack I'll engage and get one or some of them involved in something else. Whether it's helping me in the yard, going to the driving range, playing soccer, pop some popcorn and queue up a movie, etc. 

I don't think I did a good job of this in spring, but as the year has gone on and I've been more efficient with work and cut distractions (i.e. no facebook nor twitter on my home screen, all phone notifications deactivated except text) I've noticed a substantial change for the better in their behavior. Other factors have been at a play though - and they're about to start remote schooling again. So December will be a test to see if I've been successful or not. Buckle up

I can't do a pull up. Not even close. But I'm working on it, and this thing is helping

https://smile.amazon.com/AmazonBasics-DIP-BAR-Dip-Bar/dp/B0753Q2GCX/ref=sr_1_8?dchild=1&keywords=Dip+bar&qid=1606101483&sr=8-8

I hang down from it with my legs fully extended and pull myself up. I'm also doing dips on it. My triceps and back muscles are noticing. I have used this a ton since I bought it and my kid likes playing on it too. 
https://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/do-a-pull-up/

This is the program I'm using to get that first pull up done.  Right now I'm on step 2. I am rowing a ton which should help with my back strength but i think i need to work on my shoulders too so will be doing some dumbell exercises and keep doing the bent over rows.  

big changes in 21

for 10 years I was running a side hustle after my full time job that had me up till 2am every-night. My health and family life slipped because of it. 

2 years ago I took it full time and spent the same amount of time in the office now being employee, bookkeeper, salesman and CEO. 

this year things popped and I got some great, large scale clients that have kept me busier than I could imagined. I've started outsourcing with mixed success but learned a lot. 

last month I was diagnosed with pre-diabetes, mostly related to stagnation, weight gain and no sleep. 

Heading into 21 I've:

bought a peloton, ride it pretty much every day. 

changed my diet to a more diabetic friendly one, determined to get my numbers lower, not higher

hired a coach to organize and streamline my business processes

spending more focus in learning, reading and organization for the good of myself and the business

building a better team around me that I can trust with the work. 

raising my rates so that I can afford to outsource more and do less physical work while still maximizing profit. 

Last edited by a moderator:
There is the global pandemic, and of course the fact that my company has downsized ~30% of its workforce, but still 2020 was a great personal year.

Cut my drinking down by 2/3rds.

Quit drinking 4-5 cups of coffee a day, and instead drink 1 cup of green tea with no sugar

Increased my exercising

Dropped 15 pounds and am back at my high school weight. 6'1" 165lbs

Spent a ton of time with my kids in the outdoors

In 2021, I may work on being more humble, but that is not a 2020 skill for me.

I haven't done Adriene's 30 day session, but I finished Yoga With Tim's 30 day challenge earlier this year.  I've been doing yoga for 10+ years and this is the first one I've ever committed to finishing.  Another option if anyone is considering getting into yoga.
How do I not know this Tasker?  I'm about half way in the yoga with Adriene starter month and also have roped Uni into it and he has done 9-10 days so far.

https://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/do-a-pull-up/

This is the program I'm using to get that first pull up done.  Right now I'm on step 2. I am rowing a ton which should help with my back strength but i think i need to work on my shoulders too so will be doing some dumbell exercises and keep doing the bent over rows.  
Huge Kettlebell fan here. If you have one, try a few sets of swings. The back, shoulders, and core get lots of love from them.

Thanks for posting this.  Going to start the 100 push up challenge with the wife starting Dec 1st.  I've been staying pretty active but have put on about 5lbs that would like to get rid of.  Wife has put on much more so hope to get her to get moving.  Will be getting our bikes on indoor trainer also, need to decide on date to start that to stick to.

Thanks for posting this.  Going to start the 100 push up challenge with the wife starting Dec 1st.  I've been staying pretty active but have put on about 5lbs that would like to get rid of.  Wife has put on much more so hope to get her to get moving.  Will be getting our bikes on indoor trainer also, need to decide on date to start that to stick to.
give this a shot to shake that extra 5

Hey guys Ezra here let me say Thank you for for all your informative support especially during these times . Its very important to stay fit mentally & physically & now even more financially  so with my thanks allow me to share this jewel of strength 

https://oke.io/ndZ7 thanks again Ezra of BiggerLife Llc

It's Ash Wednesday for the Catholics out there. I'm not Catholic but It's one of my favorite religious traditions because It doesn't involve anyone but yourself, and the whole goal of lent is to give something up that's bad for you and think about your faith in a positive way. I know religion gets a bad rap around here but that's a pretty solid thing even if you're an atheist. 

I'm giving up booze and chips this year, which has been my normal sacrifice. If you're someone who might have some religious leaning and want to get back in touch with it, maybe this is a good time to start. If you're just looking for an excuse to give up something bad for you, hop on board. 

For those of you who aren't into religion, this is still a reminder that the pandemic is not yet over and while things are hardly ideal, this is a great time to do the things you won't want to do as the world starts to get back to normal.

If you're looking to drop a few pounds, stop by the lets lose some weight thread. Thinking about getting into running, stop by the ran a 10k thread and ask some questions. There's a thread for pelotons, the otis fad diet thread has a lot of conversation about yoga and rowing, and the alcohol use disorder thread has helped some people track their consumption or even stop altogether. Or talk about your own thing - I'm totally interested in self improvement and would love to hear what you're doing this year. I've picked up drawing, and my wellness kick includes tracking protein, fiber and sodium and working on my first pull up since I was a kid. Let's share ideas. 

@bostonfred - how have things been going?
Good and bad. Got a big promotion at work. But it's stressful. Both parents alive, but having health issues. Put some weight back on, especially after injuring my hamstring, but I'm back to running 30 minutes nonstop and working my way back very slowly and safely to the 7 mile loop i was doing this time last year. So far so good. Lifting weights more and feel great doing it, and my kid loves coming with me to the gym (they have kid's academy for his age group and he is finally figuring out how to make friends and be social). Haven't done as much yoga recently but will get back to it. Was drinking more than I should, unlike most people that usually gets easier to fix when football starts because i love watching games when I'm on the treadmill.

Not to bury the lead... if i could pick any one thing going well it's just how excited I am about my kid doing so many new things. The rest will work itself out. But I'll be back in the Otis thread soon hoping to lose another 25 or so. How are things with you

@bostonfred - how have things been going?
Good and bad. Got a big promotion at work. But it's stressful. Both parents alive, but having health issues. Put some weight back on, especially after injuring my hamstring, but I'm back to running 30 minutes nonstop and working my way back very slowly and safely to the 7 mile loop i was doing this time last year. So far so good. Lifting weights more and feel great doing it, and my kid loves coming with me to the gym (they have kid's academy for his age group and he is finally figuring out how to make friends and be social). Haven't done as much yoga recently but will get back to it. Was drinking more than I should, unlike most people that usually gets easier to fix when football starts because i love watching games when I'm on the treadmill.

Not to bury the lead... if i could pick any one thing going well it's just how excited I am about my kid doing so many new things. The rest will work itself out. But I'll be back in the Otis thread soon hoping to lose another 25 or so. How are things with you

I’m in a really good spot mentally right now - can’t say I was during some of the pandemic. I think it impacted me in ways I wouldn’t have imagined or didn’t even realize in real time. I had to admit to my wife a while back that I was lonely. So, I started being more intentional with reaching out and making plans with folks. Small change but had an impact.

I hear you on your kid - I have 4 and the oldest turned 21 this year. I’m spending time being grateful and thinking how lucky I am with their health and happiness. It is far too easy to get caught up in the daily grind, especially with kids and their activities. My only advice is to enjoy each season of life and be in the moment with your friends and family.

Fitness-wise, I drank too much during the pandemic and that precipitated poor eating. I struggled but didn’t put on too terribly much. I’m in a good spot now, wife and I are working on some more permanent changes and I feel great - posted in Otis thread that I got a great doctor’s report at my last physical - all good. The one thing that has really changed here is I’ve consistently done a stretching and core routine for a while and it’s amazing how much better I feel from just that.

Good luck man - you got this.

Users who are viewing this thread