What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Let's lose some weight in 2021. Back to the grind... who else is in? (4 Viewers)

Cut my breakfast sandwich down to 250 calories. That sandwich maker is so nice.

mini bagel 125

cracker cut slice of extra sharp cheddar 35

one slice packaged canadian bacon 20

One egg 70

• Date         |  Weight   |   Chg From Start  |   Calories
  • Nov 27         226.1                                           1210
  • Nov 28         223.3                 -2.8                   1400
  • Nov 29         221.7                 -4.4                   1450
  • Nov 30         221.5                 -4.6                   1450
  • Dec 1           221.5                 -4.6                    1410
  • Dec 2           220.4                 -5.7                    1470
  • Dec 3           220.9                 -5.2
Welcome to daily fluctuations!  Keeping a long term view on it, would expect to be down tomorrow if I stay good today.

Welcome to daily fluctuations!  Keeping a long term view on it, would expect to be down tomorrow if I stay good today.
If you lose 5 lbs in 5 days a lot of it is water weight and poops. You aren't going to get consistency until you've got that all out of your system and even then, a salty meal that makes you feel bloated, a late dinner, a bunch of water, a sweaty workout, sitting next to a fan... lots of things can make short term fluctuations happen. I weigh myself daily usually several times to get an idea of where I'm at and how my body reacts to different things and I think measuring frequently is better than measuring weekly as long as you're not living and dying by the fluctuations. But it's not going to be perfect. I have weighed myself at 3am when I woke up to pee, and again in the morning, and lost weight in between. 

Focus on the trend not the number. And the trend looks great!

Looking great!

If you lose 5 lbs in 5 days a lot of it is water weight and poops. You aren't going to get consistency until you've got that all out of your system and even then, a salty meal that makes you feel bloated, a late dinner, a bunch of water, a sweaty workout, sitting next to a fan... lots of things can make short term fluctuations happen. I weigh myself daily usually several times to get an idea of where I'm at and how my body reacts to different things and I think measuring frequently is better than measuring weekly as long as you're not living and dying by the fluctuations. But it's not going to be perfect. I have weighed myself at 3am when I woke up to pee, and again in the morning, and lost weight in between. 

100% focus on the trend! In my journey so far I have weighed myself on average every 3-5 days. I have had about ~40 days of losing 0.2lbs or more, about ~20 days of gain 0.2lbs or more, and ~20 days of staying idle. The key thing is my trend line is going in the negative direction and have lost the weight more gradual with bumps and flat segments happen now and again. 

What Fred said.  I prefer checking how my clothes fit and how I actual feel instead of constant weight monitoring.   The day to day fluctuations could set you back mentally even when you're making progress.  You could actually be gaining muscle and losing fat.   I tend to only check once a week to see where I'm at.  Compare it to someone who obsesses over their 401k balance everyday instead of looking at the long term picture/direction.  

Looking great!

100% focus on the trend! In my journey so far I have weighed myself on average every 3-5 days. I have had about ~40 days of losing 0.2lbs or more, about ~20 days of gain 0.2lbs or more, and ~20 days of staying idle. The key thing is my trend line is going in the negative direction and have lost the weight more gradual with bumps and flat segments happen now and again. 
Absolutely.  I weigh every day because I'm not naturally good at being disciplined enough to remember "Oh it's Thursday so I need to weigh in".  I need things to become a habit, so every morning after I have my daily constitution, I just step on the scale.  I'm targeting 2 pounds a week, and the first week is usually inflated as I flush the junk out of my system (literally).  It's just interesting to see when you eat the same thing multiple days in a row and keep the same activity level, yet the weight fluctuates.

Keep it up all!

Super basic homemade turkey chili

300 calories per serving 

One pound ground turkey 

One can diced tomatoes with green Chiles 

One can black beans (can use other beans or no beans but I almost always have black beans on hand)

Onion powder, garlic powder, chili powder, pepper (black, red and/or cayenne) to taste 

Large non stick skillet cook the turkey thoroughly on medium or medium high and lower the burner. Season it once it's done on one side so you don't burn the spices.  Parrially drain the canned goods and dump on top of the fully cooked turkey, flatten into a single layer while the meat continues to soften underneath in the juices.  After a few minutes, stir it all together and let the whole thing simmer. 

Makes 4 servings of 300 calories, about 30g protein and 6g fiber per serving. 

Eat 3 servings because you're a disgusting frail gluttonous idiot. 

Bring a bowl to your wife with the remaining serving and kind of fluff it up a little so she doesn't know what you just did. 

Confess on message board. 

Hold memory of the flavor and/or your stomach for the rest of the day. 

Continuing the streak of exercise.  Lunch fell of the rails - damn cereal is the the devil.  

I’ve been working too much and not updating my activities in here, which is bad because then I’m at risk of not being accountable.  Here’s what the last few days have looked like for me.

Monday:

- 1,740 calorie target

- 1,650 calories eaten

- 250 calories burned (lazy day, 3-mile walk)

Calories remaining (better than target):  340

Tuesday:

- 1,740 calorie target

- 1,930 calories eaten

- 660 calories burned (6-mile run)

Calories remaining:  470

Wednesday:

- 1,740 calorie target

- 1,710 calories eaten

- 860 calories burned (5-mile run + 3-mile walk)

Calories remaining:  890

I’d like to be more consistent and hover in the neighborhood of 100-200 calories below my (net) target for the day.   That allows me to screw up 1-2 days a week (not massively but a little) and still hit my weekly goals.  My past week has been a little too aggressive a few days, and that seems suboptimal.

That said, I’ve been super disciplined with my eating habits, and need to give myself a little credit for that.  

Kudos to BF for starting this.  It’s exactly the kick in the ### I needed.

I enjoyed that turkey chili so much that i didn't even mind when I was doing yoga and my kid popped his head up and said dad did you do farts? Yes, bfjr. Dad did farts. This room is going to get a little bit rough if you want to go see mom instead.

Nov 30: 234.4

Dec 3: 232.0

Exercising 40-60 minutes per day. Have my first physical in 10 years tomorrow morning. Wondering if I am getting the finger in the ### and the appointment to get the camera up the ###. Approaching the big 50.
My doc stop doing the finger up the ###.  Bloodwork tells the story.  He said both of our lives are better for it.
:lmao:

People our age don't need to wait 10 years in between physicals though.  Glad you are going, good luck.

268 yesterday  :scared:   Couldn't start until I ate most of the junk in the house.  Hit the gym in the am and pm.  Nothing too strenuous as I don't want to be crippled for a week.  20 minutes of cardio, 20 min of light light lifting, and 15 min of stretching each trip.  Latte for breakfast, soup for lunch, 3 deer burgers for dinner, and one last candy bar for a snack.  Should be well under 1500 cals.  Will start adding in the veggies and protein shakes later in the week.

I enjoyed that turkey chili so much that i didn't even mind when I was doing yoga and my kid popped his head up and said dad did you do farts? Yes, bfjr. Dad did farts. This room is going to get a little bit rough if you want to go see mom instead.
:lmao:   i was ripping them in todays yoga too.  musta been the poses.

268 yesterday  :scared:   Couldn't start until I ate most of the junk in the house.  Hit the gym in the am and pm.  Nothing too strenuous as I don't want to be crippled for a week.  20 minutes of cardio, 20 min of light light lifting, and 15 min of stretching each trip.  Latte for breakfast, soup for lunch, 3 deer burgers for dinner, and one last candy bar for a snack.  Should be well under 1500 cals.  Will start adding in the veggies and protein shakes later in the week.
Is this a semi normal diet day for you where you're loading everything up on dinner?  What does a non diet day of eating look like for you?  Bigger breakfast/lunch? Bigger dinner? Or just more booze/snacks?  I  know you've been successful losing weight before,  and then fluctuate back up like a lot of us, maybe the issue is that you need to stop eating 3 deer burgers in a sitting. Please note that this is not judging and literally on this page I said I had three bowls of turkey chili yesterday.  And I still save up my calories for big meals sometimes. But one of the things I needed to do was to stop normalizing the big meals, because when I'm done with my dieting I go back to "normal" eating and if that includes my bad habit of wanting three burgers or three bowls of chili, it's a foregone conclusion that I will put the weight back on when I start to have a big meal for lunch and another big meal for dinner, or a big dinner and then add back booze and snacks.  I've gotten used to the idea that a normal meal is smaller than what I thought and now even when I'm overeating, i usually catch myself earlier. That's what I'm finding is sustainable for me but everyone is different. 

• Dec 3           220.9                 -5.2                    1470
  • Dec 4           221.5                 -4.6
Well, 4.6 pounds after a week is good.  Really expected to see a loss after yesterday's gain, not a bigger gain than from the day before.  Looking to hit the 10 pounds by Christmas, then working through another 20 pounds after that the next 3 months.

Ate my first donut since starting this thing.   Went for a decent run this morning (5 miles) and promised my kids we would get donuts today.  Felt like it was a nice reward for working hard and being disciplined.  Important to give myself that small reward (1 single donut) otherwise this process would feel like punishment.

Whenever I get a week's worth of protein drink in me (High Protein Boost in this case, thinking about changing), my poop goes from easy and free flowing to a hard as a rock strain fest.  Probably need to increase produce, but I'm not usually big on that in my "normal" state and the poops are easy.  I'm not necessarily lactose intolerant (as I understand it most people do have some level of intolerance) but I'm not sure what is causing it to bind up.

Nov 30: 234.4

Dec 3: 232.0

Exercising 40-60 minutes per day. Have my first physical in 10 years tomorrow morning. Wondering if I am getting the finger in the ### and the appointment to get the camera up the ###. Approaching the big 50.
Update:  no finger up the ### and no ball fondling. Great blood pressure, lose some weight and eat better. Didn’t get a lollipop, but did get a flu shot. First one ever. 

Whenever I get a week's worth of protein drink in me (High Protein Boost in this case, thinking about changing), my poop goes from easy and free flowing to a hard as a rock strain fest.  Probably need to increase produce, but I'm not usually big on that in my "normal" state and the poops are easy.  I'm not necessarily lactose intolerant (as I understand it most people do have some level of intolerance) but I'm not sure what is causing it to bind up.
how much water do you drink?

There are a lot of crap protein powders out there especially the Ready To Drinks - filled with all sorts of rubbish including sugar.  Honestly, you'd be better off drinking chocolate milk in most cases.  I've never heard of High Protein Boost but assume its along the lines of Muscle Milk, etc.   

I'd recommend Quest or Isopure because they're relatively clean and easy to digest.  Isolates will generally cost you more as the quality is much better and eases digestion.  I stay away from concentrates and stick with isolates and casein protein powders.   I only use the RTDs if I'm on the road.   There's levels to this  ;)

This is a nice blend and tastes great:  https://www.questnutrition.com/collections/protein-powders-old/products/us-1-6lb-protein-powder-salted-caramel

Last edited by a moderator:
There are a lot of crap protein powders out there especially the Ready To Drinks - filled with all sorts of rubbish including sugar.  Honestly, you'd be better off drinking chocolate milk in most cases.  I've never heard of High Protein Boost but assume its along the lines of Muscle Milk, etc.   

I'd recommend Quest or Isopure because they're relatively clean and easy to digest.  Isolates will generally cost you more as the quality is much better and eases digestion.  I stay away from concentrates and stick with isolates and casein protein powders.   I only use the RTDs if I'm on the road.   There's levels to this  ;)

This is a nice blend and tastes great:  https://www.questnutrition.com/collections/protein-powders-old/products/us-1-6lb-protein-powder-salted-caramel
For a snack or side to dinner, I've added the Quest chips.  140 cals and 18g of protein. 

Dumb question here:  Do you mix that protein powder with milk or water?

Is this a semi normal diet day for you where you're loading everything up on dinner?  What does a non diet day of eating look like for you?  Bigger breakfast/lunch? Bigger dinner? Or just more booze/snacks?  I  know you've been successful losing weight before,  and then fluctuate back up like a lot of us, maybe the issue is that you need to stop eating 3 deer burgers in a sitting. Please note that this is not judging and literally on this page I said I had three bowls of turkey chili yesterday.  And I still save up my calories for big meals sometimes. But one of the things I needed to do was to stop normalizing the big meals, because when I'm done with my dieting I go back to "normal" eating and if that includes my bad habit of wanting three burgers or three bowls of chili, it's a foregone conclusion that I will put the weight back on when I start to have a big meal for lunch and another big meal for dinner, or a big dinner and then add back booze and snacks.  I've gotten used to the idea that a normal meal is smaller than what I thought and now even when I'm overeating, i usually catch myself earlier. That's what I'm finding is sustainable for me but everyone is different. 
Busy work day.  Couple that with spending so much time in the gym I didn't eat much earlier in the day.  Non-diet day I would have grazed most of the day.  3 burgers at one sitting was a terrible choice.  That was 25 grams of protein per or 75 grams in one sitting.  Would have been much bette to eat one burger every 3 hours as anything over 30 grams of protein at once is not being processed.

Update:  no finger up the ### and no ball fondling. Great blood pressure, lose some weight and eat better. Didn’t get a lollipop, but did get a flu shot. First one ever. 
Sorry for your loss.

I know you're correct, it's one of the tenets of weight loss (scratch that, just healthy living).
Yeah Corp, definitely up your water intake first and foremost.  I'd recommend filling a 64 oz jug with water and making sure you finish that each day.  Eventually work your way up to a gallon a day.   It's amazing how much better you'll feel all around, skin will look better, you won't be as hungry, your teeth will thank you, etc.   It's really the foundation of everything.  Best of luck on the grind.  I know change isn't easy.  

I don’t get a chance to check-in during the week as much nowadays, but off to a great start so far. Monday through Friday has always been the easy part for me though, now I need to not undo all that today and tomorrow. I’ve been thinking of this thread all week so it’s definitely keeping me accountable even if I don’t update. 

I decided against IF for now. My hard rule is no food after dinner. My biggest focus has been going to bed “early” which for me means around midnight. It’s a lot easier to avoid eating after dinner if I go to bed at a reasonable time. Everything else seems to flow from there. 

I’ve stayed under 1800 calories every day. Tracked every single thing I’ve eaten. Been walking on the treadmill whenever I get a spare moment at work and then for 30 minutes each night. I just need to turn all that into a habit. 

I don’t get a chance to check-in during the week as much nowadays, but off to a great start so far. Monday through Friday has always been the easy part for me though, now I need to not undo all that today and tomorrow. I’ve been thinking of this thread all week so it’s definitely keeping me accountable even if I don’t update. 

I decided against IF for now. My hard rule is no food after dinner. My biggest focus has been going to bed “early” which for me means around midnight. It’s a lot easier to avoid eating after dinner if I go to bed at a reasonable time. Everything else seems to flow from there. 

I’ve stayed under 1800 calories every day. Tracked every single thing I’ve eaten. Been walking on the treadmill whenever I get a spare moment at work and then for 30 minutes each night. I just need to turn all that into a habit. 
This thread is thinking about you too. Glad to hear you're off to a good start.  Its a little tougher to be good on the weekends but there's only three weekends left until Christmas. 

If you're looking for ways to establish habits - short or long term - here's some ideas

Love the no eating after dinner rule. If you get tempted, try brushing your teeth after dinner

Ask Santa for a fitbit or use your smartphone, watch, etc to track steps. How many days can you hit 10,000 or whatever your target is?

It sounds like you work near your treadmill, not sure if that's at home. Keep a space near you with a couple dumbells or a yoga mat, pull up bar, or just a couple clean square feet where you can do pushups. Or try a walk outside if the weather permits. It doesn't always have to be treadmill. Mix it up. 

I love my treadmill by the way and use it a ton. This isn't anti treadmill. One of the best things I did was limit myself to watching TV when I'm on the treadmill or rower in my basement. I make rare exceptions but it's a simple rule and it really encourages me to get down there. If I have time to sit I have time to walk. 

If you think it will be difficult to eat less on weekends, earn more calories. There's more time to get on the treadmill or do some yoga with Adriene or some other exercise that you don't always have time for during the week. 

Keep up the good work we will be waiting for your next update. 

237.5  Never been so fat; never felt so bad. I'm in.

Plus, unfortunately, I'm looking at two upcoming funerals: Paul's (my brother's father-in-law with pancreatic cancer) and Burt's (old family friend with lung cancer) and I can't fit in my GD suits. Here's for you Paul and Burt.  :banned: (That's water my emoji is drinking.)

• Dec 4           221.5                 -4.6                    1450
  • Dec 5           220.0                 -6.1 
Starting to drink more water yesterday and today.  On the protein mix that @Major suggested, do you mix it with water or milk?  I think you can do either.  I need it to taste good, I'm looking at the chocolate version.  Guessing I'll use some type of low fat milk.  Any experience out there?

@Corporation I don't know much about protein supplements in general but I use raspberries, blueberries, a little kale or other leafy green, ice and water with chocolate Pure Protein and find the taste pretty good.  I'vetried it with another chocolate protein powder and thought it tasted so bad that after trying a few other recipes I gave it away.  The berries are definitely good for you but i don't know if I'm wasting my time with the protein since I'm adding sugars to it. 

• Dec 5           220.0                 -6.1 
Starting to drink more water yesterday and today.  On the protein mix that @Major suggested, do you mix it with water or milk?  I think you can do either.  I need it to taste good, I'm looking at the chocolate version.  Guessing I'll use some type of low fat milk.  Any experience out there?
I use water because its calorie free and tastes decent.  It will taste richer/better with milk but add more calories/sugar.  I'm not a fan of the Chocolate Quest flavor.  If going Quest, go either Salted Caramel or Peanut Butter.  The PB tastes great in my oatmeal and great with milk.  The best tasting Chocolate protein is probably Syntha 6 Edge.  Tastes like a milkshake, it really does.  Not as healthy as Quest but a better alternative to that protein you were drinking:  https://www.gobsn.com/en-us/product/syntha6edge 

I checked your protein out online and the first ingredient after water is corn syrup.  That's a hard pass if you're concerned about weight and health in general.  

I use water because its calorie free and tastes decent.  It will taste richer/better with milk but add more calories/sugar.  I'm not a fan of the Chocolate Quest flavor.  If going Quest, go either Salted Caramel or Peanut Butter.  The PB tastes great in my oatmeal and great with milk.  The best tasting Chocolate protein is probably Syntha 6 Edge.  Tastes like a milkshake, it really does.  Not as healthy as Quest but a better alternative to that protein you were drinking:  https://www.gobsn.com/en-us/product/syntha6edge 

I checked your protein out online and the first ingredient after water is corn syrup.  That's a hard pass if you're concerned about weight and health in general.  
Do places like GNC or The Vitamin Shoppe have samples they give out?  I'd like to try a few before plunking down $30.  Thanks for the info.

High for the year Aug 19, 249.2, low for the year Feb 1, 219.3.  Expecting a small hiccup as we delayed our Thanksgiving to today for family reasons.  Need to punch some recipes into MFA to track more accurately.  As noted above, cutting breakfast in half and having a couple protein bars (348 total calories and 50g protein) to get my macros in line.

• Date            |    Weight      |      Fat%       |       +/-     
  • Nov 24             237 lbs           34.6%               -----        
  • Nov 29            231.1 lbs         31.1%           (5.9 lbs)   
  • Nov 30             234 lbs           31.7%            (3 lbs) 
  • Dec 1              232.7 lbs         32.4%           (4.3 lbs)
  • Dec 4               230.8 lbs         31.1%           (6.2 lbs)   
  • Dec 5               230.4 lbs         31.9%            (6.6 lbs)

In, btw.   Started a not-totally-100% Dry-cember about two weeks ago, and have been increasing my cardio exercise since early Nov.   Resting pulse now around 52 bpm.  Cleaned up my weights setup and started using those as well.    

While all of that is fine and good, not much action on the bathroom scale.  Started at 205, will check back in from time to time.

(Note: was down to 193 during peak hiking season.)

I should rename my FBG handle as Tub-o-lard. Law school was not kind to my waistline and it got even worse after kids. Starting weight: 229 lbs. Baby steps. 
227 this morning. Not much working out, but using myfitnesspal to track calories is huge. It helps me be conscious of how much I'm shoveling in. Otherwise it's too easy to walk by the kitchen and grab a granola bar or other munchy, multiplied by several times a day and it's easy to get fat. I also try to remind myself that the feeling I have is being thirsty, not hungry. 

• Dec 5           220.0                 -6.1                    1430
  • Dec 5           219.1                 -7.0

Starting: 175.6

Today: 171.2

Ill take it. I expect less of a loss this week but will do my best to hit the 2lbs
That's the way I am.  Always a quick start (which is probably excess water and poop), and then it slows down.  2lbs a week is a good guide.

• Dec 5           220.0                 -6.1                    1430
  • Dec 5           219.1                 -7.0                    1500
  • Dec 6           219.1                 -7.0  

Corporation said:
Do places like GNC or The Vitamin Shoppe have samples they give out?  I'd like to try a few before plunking down $30.  Thanks for the info.
Occasionally they'll have samples of newer products but generally not established protein brands like these.  You can always call and ask.  I would bet the farm that Syntha 6 Edge will taste better than that RTD you're currently using.  Amazon or Bodybuilding.com generally have better prices than GNC, etc.  

Corporation said:
That's the way I am.  Always a quick start (which is probably excess water and poop), and then it slows down.  2lbs a week is a good guide.
I have not pooped in 3 days 

Users who are viewing this thread