What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

People on unemployment using the Pandemic as a copout not to work? (1 Viewer)

DJackson10

Footballguy
Started to think about this with a friend recently. He quit his job at a Verizion store (one of those smaller 2nd hand stores) because they kept yanking him back and forth between stores as a store director and then not being one. Some of the stores that were shut down with him in charge was kind of just bad place wrong time for him. The store was not properly put in a location it would've done well or the company just needed someone to take over the store for the remaining time. He was able to save 2 stores in the district. He left in July I didn't blame him for leaving because of the BS he went through though. They offered to put him in another store not as a manager or let him got with a severance packageHowever he didn't have a 2nd job line up and sits at home. He gotten into this addicting state of spending loads of money on sports memorabilia (Have no idea where he has the room in his parents house for it) on an eBay like site. He told me he gets more money unemployed then he did working. He took a job recently at a LIDS but was lied to about the position and was told the position (DM) but became an AD instead at a store only to find out there one store director and everyone else is considered an assistant manager. SO he left recently after 2 Weeks. 

He's a nice guy shows up to work on time, went above and beyond at the phone job to help out IMHO consistent, never in trouble. However he's one of those who believes everything on the news, tunnel vision on thoughts,  and can't think for himself. When I told him I was voting Tulsi Gabbard in the Primary I got the usual I was wasting my vote type thing and repeating the corporate liberal lines fed to him by network news stations and Clinton lies (I view myself a progressive Lib). Anyway Wednesday before Thanksgiving an old coworker see's me and says she was glad to see me. Asked what I made there and said she could get me more money with holiday pay at Best Buy. I told her right now timing with me wasn't the best but I knew a friend who needs a job and might be interested and told her about my buddy. She sent me a text with info I pass it along to my buddy. His response I quote "I'm not really interested in working at Best Buy and especially holiday time with a pandemic." I haven't responded since as I was at a loss of words and was at work. 

Lets go over  a few things here. His Facebook he's checked in 3 difference places eating with a former coworker and his coworkers girlfriend in the last 3 months. Not only that but they were all up in NYC WHERE THE CASES FOR INFECTION ARE EVEN HIGHER THEN PA. You seemed interested enough to work during the holiday and took a job at LIDS, granted they did falsely advertise what they were looking for. To me it just sounds like he's using the pandemic to not work as well as the fact it's a good excuse to have off for the holidays for the first time since you left college about 11 years ago. I work retail too so I know it's tough but I've been on the front line of this thing since day 1. Yeah my mom got sick but she made it and I haven't had anything. Customers are annoying especially those not following rules but you learn to deal with it. The guy has been spoiled by his parents all his life. I'm trying to help him get a job best I can. Even offered for him to come work my job despite the fact I know he couldn't last a week with my Store Director or the job. Given everything in the past and this now I'm at a point of just cutting him off from close friends. Maybe go to the when everything is somewhat normal "hey you free tonight want to go to the game or see this movie? Maybe we can go have a few drinks and catch up." because honestly every time I try to help him 

Sure there are people on unemployment living the good life but I think the vast majority of them are people that are reeling and would love to have a decent job.   This pandemic has destroyed a lot of people's lives in more ways than one. 

Of course there are people who will use the pandemic as a cop out.  This country is lazy.  That's not to say there aren't legit reasons to be concerned and maybe try to wait it out for some, but with him being out and about in social settings, he is selectively applying his concern making it "cop out" territory.  

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm 100% OK with people using the pandemic as a "copout" not to work and remain on unemployment.  Of course, I'm in favor of a UBI/BIG to begin with, so I'd be OK with using anything as a copout for this.
Yeah - I was going to point out that we have plenty of people not willing to work during normal times - the pandemic is actually a good excuse to not work many jobs.  I'm grateful every day for my WFH job. 

It sounds like he’s committing unemployment fraud. You can’t just not try to work or get it after you quit...

Rich Conway said:
I'm 100% OK with people using the pandemic as a "copout" not to work and remain on unemployment.  Of course, I'm in favor of a UBI/BIG to begin with, so I'd be OK with using anything as a copout for this.
If there was ever a time to pay people not work, it’s now

Godsbrother said:
Sure there are people on unemployment living the good life but I think the vast majority of them are people that are reeling and would love to have a decent job.   This pandemic has destroyed a lot of people's lives in more ways than one. 
I agree I'm just talking to some people I know and I know a few of them are just using the Pandemic as an excuse not to work. I've offered to get them work at my company and have gotten shut down more then a few times with the not really comfortable working in a pandemic but then seeing them on social media pics and status of them out with groups of people or going to high risk areas anyway. 

The Commish said:
Of course there are people who will use the pandemic as a cop out.  This country is lazy.  That's not to say there aren't legit reasons to be concerned and maybe try to wait it out for some, but with him being out and about in social settings, he is selectively applying his concern making it "cop out" territory.  
I'm not surprised to be honest. This guy has been spoiled by his parents for yrs never told no. He's looking for something that is 18Per hour and I told him you might have to suck it up and take a little less just to get in with a chance of advancement somewhere. I figured Best Buy given his skillset and experience was perfect for him and my former co worker said he might even get more $$$$ with his experience. He went to school for sports management but doesn't have the personality to do it, wasn't a great student (lazy and C's across the board), and wasn't proactive with linking with people to go else where. He also should've tried to get into grad school but given his GPA not sure he'd have gotten in. I work retail in the food and beverage which he apparently thinks is beneath him. It also helps right now for him not having a job that he lives at home which is another reason I think he's not as motivated to find work 

It sounds like he’s committing unemployment fraud. You can’t just not try to work or get it after you quit...
Not sure if he reapplied after quitting this current job at LIDS. Also don't know if they told him he was gonna get cut off if he didn't find work either. I'm starting to think theres way more to the story then he's letting on. He's incredible selfish too and won't tell me a lot of stuff. Says I have a big mouth and will tell everyone, yet thats rich coming from the same guy the minute he hears something big is on the phone with his dad telling him something about another buddy of mine and our business. We stopped telling him big stuff as we knew he'd run his mouth about it 

Rich Conway said:
Don't get me wrong I'm fine with people not wanting to work because of the pandemic but when you are going out and about and going to higher risk areas as jobs you could be applying for even higher risk areas like another state to me that just tells me you are lazy and will use anything to not work. I'm fine if you don't want to work because of the Pandemic. Just had a coworker quit because of cases rising and she lives with her parents (not even 21 yet) and has family members in the house who are high risk people. That is totally understandable and this was a second job for her as her other one is less high risk and can work from home when needed. 

Not sure if he reapplied after quitting this current job at LIDS. Also don't know if they told him he was gonna get cut off if he didn't find work either. I'm starting to think theres way more to the story then he's letting on. He's incredible selfish too and won't tell me a lot of stuff. Says I have a big mouth and will tell everyone, yet thats rich coming from the same guy the minute he hears something big is on the phone with his dad telling him something about another buddy of mine and our business. We stopped telling him big stuff as we knew he'd run his mouth about it 
Yeah sounds like a strange dude lol. 

I do agree that we’re at the point where we need UBI though. 

Yeah sounds like a strange dude lol. 

I do agree that we’re at the point where we need UBI though. 
This I agree with. Yeah he's not as much strange as he is self centered and privileged as his parents have never told him no. 

I'm at a loss as to why we want this guy to be in the work force to begin with?  He seems like the kind of coworker that creates more work for everyone around them rather than one that lightens the load.  He doesn't seem like he would be very productive for the employer other than creating the higher demands on everyone else.   I get that we get jealous at times of unproductive members of society living off the hard work and/or ingenuity of others, but I don't see the benefit of imposing these people into the work force.  Seems pretty counterproductive.  Just pay them enough to get out of the way. 

I'm at a loss as to why we want this guy to be in the work force to begin with?  He seems like the kind of coworker that creates more work for everyone around them rather than one that lightens the load.  He doesn't seem like he would be very productive for the employer other than creating the higher demands on everyone else.   I get that we get jealous at times of unproductive members of society living off the hard work and/or ingenuity of others, but I don't see the benefit of imposing these people into the work force.  Seems pretty counterproductive.  Just pay them enough to get out of the way. 
I should state when he works he's productive. He helped saved one of the stores they put him in charge of. He worked for Verizion Go Wireless an outlet store you see randomly that isn't associated with Verizon main company. He left because they kept on screwing him over giving him stores they knew would fail, then having him get out of management back into just being a retail guy and then he'd become a manager again at a failed store they knew wouldn't work and back again rinse and repeat. They closed his store in the middle of the pandemic in June as it was a store they were gonna close anyway to save money he was manager at. They offered him a buyout or he could stay and work at another store as an employee but not as a manager so he'd lose that pay. I understand why he left and he was already frustrated and looking for another job prior to leaving this. He had told me around Holidays last year hopefully this time next year he would have a different job. 

He didn't leave DO TO THE PANDEMIC. He just used that as an excuse when I offered him help from a former co worker for another job. I know it's an excuse because he's posted on his social media like Facebook he was out with a former co worker and his girlfriend in the city eating in Philly and as recently as early November up in NYC at the Art Museum, so it's kind of obvious to me at this point he doesn't want to work in holiday season despite having taken that job at LIDS for 2 weeks. He has had multiple jobs over the years and never stays in one job for longer then 3-4 yrs but 3 of those were not his fault. One was HHGregg who cut back on labor and he was lowest man on the totem pole, another was a mattress place who let at least half the district go and he had 2 that were paid internships at college. I will say I think some of the expectations he's had going into some of these places have been unrealistic on his part as well. I think his issue now is his biography for jobs has so many it just doesn't look good at first site 

Seems to me at least half the people I know make career/work decisions that are befuddling to me decades before the pandemic. Some work 60+ hours to the exclusion(after commuting and required work lunches/dinners are factored in) of nearly everything else in their life. Some choose to live on the far side of mars because they think the job that they can get there is slightly better. Some "live" in a great place but actually spend more of their life in airports and hotels than anywhere near their home, friends, or family. 

It's anecdotal, but I haven't noticed many stranger career decisions than normal as a direct result of the pandemic. More anxiety in the medium/long term depending on the industry they were in I suppose. For some people it makes sense to take a break between jobs. When he really NEEDS to work I'm guessing he will. If anything there could be a lot of hiring 9 months from now and he may be able to get a salary closer to what he's looking for than he can right now on the cusp of a possible shutdown(hopefully the last). 

DJackson10 said:
I should state when he works he's productive. He helped saved one of the stores they put him in charge of. He worked for Verizion Go Wireless an outlet store you see randomly that isn't associated with Verizon main company. He left because they kept on screwing him over giving him stores they knew would fail, then having him get out of management back into just being a retail guy and then he'd become a manager again at a failed store they knew wouldn't work and back again rinse and repeat. They closed his store in the middle of the pandemic in June as it was a store they were gonna close anyway to save money he was manager at. They offered him a buyout or he could stay and work at another store as an employee but not as a manager so he'd lose that pay. I understand why he left and he was already frustrated and looking for another job prior to leaving this. He had told me around Holidays last year hopefully this time next year he would have a different job. 

He didn't leave DO TO THE PANDEMIC. He just used that as an excuse when I offered him help from a former co worker for another job. I know it's an excuse because he's posted on his social media like Facebook he was out with a former co worker and his girlfriend in the city eating in Philly and as recently as early November up in NYC at the Art Museum, so it's kind of obvious to me at this point he doesn't want to work in holiday season despite having taken that job at LIDS for 2 weeks. He has had multiple jobs over the years and never stays in one job for longer then 3-4 yrs but 3 of those were not his fault. One was HHGregg who cut back on labor and he was lowest man on the totem pole, another was a mattress place who let at least half the district go and he had 2 that were paid internships at college. I will say I think some of the expectations he's had going into some of these places have been unrealistic on his part as well. I think his issue now is his biography for jobs has so many it just doesn't look good at first site 
So, 11 years after college, he's living with his parents.  His employer gave him a store to manage, it failed. They moved him back to sales and then gave him a chance to manage another store. It failed. Rinse and repeat. And it was all the employer's fault (according to him). He likes to go to NY and party and post it on Facebook, but now he has a chance at a job and doesn't want to work. You're surprised?

So, 11 years after college, he's living with his parents.  His employer gave him a store to manage, it failed. They moved him back to sales and then gave him a chance to manage another store. It failed. Rinse and repeat. And it was all the employer's fault (according to him). He likes to go to NY and party and post it on Facebook, but now he has a chance at a job and doesn't want to work. You're surprised?
Dude doesn't party. Closes to a drink he gets is a Mike's hard and barely finishes it. He went out to eat twice with a former Coworker and said coworkers Girlfriend in Philly. I saw on Facebook that he went to NY to some art museum thing back in late Oct. I know some of his coworkers who said they gave him stores they knew were in failure. This is something I've heard repeatedly from a friend of mine who worked at the main Verizion. He said the company wasn't worried about these go wireless stores in those locations since they wouldn't be successful. He also was not given enough help and was given some of the absolute co workers.

I won't go and say there isn't fault in his own. I didn't work with him or know much other then what he and his co workers he's had at other stores who were good I had met told me. I think part of the issue Is he's way too nice and allowed management to step over him and give him these horrible stores and wasn't assertive enough to say "hey you give me these stores but with very little help. If things don't change soon as this is the 2nd or 3rd time this has occurred I might have my own decisions to make. I'm one of your most loyal employees and experienced and this is how you treat me?" He worked there for over 6 yrs the next hight I think 10. His other issue I brought up earlier is he was kind of spoiled by his parents and didn't hear the word no much when growing up including into college and adulthood from his parents. A part of how he acts and does I really blame on his parents but how much I'm not sure because his sister who is a year younger then me had been married with a son and divorced (Dude was a complete jerk to her brother sometimes and he didn't really have a consistent work doing a lot of shady under the table handyman work) and she's doing well for herself. Doing a great job taking care of her son, has a full-time babysitting job with a family in the area who pays her well, allows her and her son to stay at their house if she has to babysit long and has taken her on their family vacations as she does so well with their kids. I think he was babied too by them 

BoltBacker said:
Seems to me at least half the people I know make career/work decisions that are befuddling to me decades before the pandemic. Some work 60+ hours to the exclusion(after commuting and required work lunches/dinners are factored in) of nearly everything else in their life. Some choose to live on the far side of mars because they think the job that they can get there is slightly better. Some "live" in a great place but actually spend more of their life in airports and hotels than anywhere near their home, friends, or family. 

It's anecdotal, but I haven't noticed many stranger career decisions than normal as a direct result of the pandemic. More anxiety in the medium/long term depending on the industry they were in I suppose. For some people it makes sense to take a break between jobs. When he really NEEDS to work I'm guessing he will. If anything there could be a lot of hiring 9 months from now and he may be able to get a salary closer to what he's looking for than he can right now on the cusp of a possible shutdown(hopefully the last). 
I can agree with this however he has not been really stressed with his work. Yes he's worked a lot of hrs but he's gotten a ton of time off and good hrs I was jealous of not getting.When he's home he's barely active other then the rare times I might hang with him go get something to eat or do a movie or game (when it was possible), other then that he sits at home playing video games and addicted to this sports collectable auction website or whatever it is. So it's not like he doesn't get rest. Hardly travels for work other then a training he did in NYC which is very rare and that was like once or twice a year for 3 days and then they moved it to King of Prussia area to the Casino area there which is 20 mins from us. Manager District meetings about an hour away once every month. SO it's not like he traveled a lot. From what I gathered from talking to him and co workers theres a lot of sitting around just waiting around. The stores don't get a lot of customers besides the few in our general area all about 10-20 mins apart from one another. So unlike me where I'm moving around all day in a much bigger area they really aren't moving around a lot. 

Users who are viewing this thread