What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

FBG Staff vs Message Board's Best (1 Viewer)

David Dodds

Administrator
Those that were here last year, know we always have a few Survivor Commentary drafts. These drafts are great because each expert lists the strengths and weaknesses of the player they selected plus the strategy behind the pick.

Well as fun as Survivor Drafts in the past have been, it is going to be madness this year.

Why is that you ask?

Because this year it will be the...

FBG Staff vs the Message Board

We are still going to have some of our traditional Survivor Drafts throughout the preseason, but this will likely be the Grand Daddy of them All.

Without giving away all of the details, let me tell you this much:

1. This contest will consist of 12 FBG staff and 12 Message Board members. There will be 2 twelve team leagues each consisting of 6 staff and 6 MB members.

2. Each draft will commence at the same time using the exact same set of rules.

3. Each league will be a Survivor format (just offensive players) with all participants providing commentary on their picks.

4. Each league will narrow their field to 4 teams after week 12 (1 eliminated in first 4 weeks then 1 every other week)

5. The 4 remaining teams in each league will be merged to one final league. Weeks 13-16 total points will determine the final 8 spots.

6. Now before everyone starts posting here and sending emails to our staff begging to get on the Message Board team, we will let you in on a secret. We will be selecting one MB board member to be the Captain of the MB team. We aren't going to get involved in selecting anyone other than this Captain. It will be up to this Captain to field the best team to face us. We promise that we won't pick a patsy to run the Message Board team. He/She will be an active poster who has strong drafting / writing skills. It will be up to this Captain to put a quality team of drafters together, because the FBG Staff will definitely be bringing our A game.

7. What's in it for the MB team? For starters we will be giving a free subscription and a free Stats book to each MB participant. Additionally we will be offering up to $1,000 in prizes should the MB actually do well against us.

8. Start thinking about this. We will post the rules and announce your team Captain soon.

Oh and one more thing...The MB member that finishes the best will be Team Captain for next year.

Feel free to enter your nominations here. We are not guaranteeing we can be influenced, but it will be fun seeing everyone try to get the coveted Captain slot.

Let the brown-nosing begin...

I'll guarandangtee you one thing if I'm selected DD...this won't be a walk in the park like your FF Index Draft. :PThe check should be made out to Mr. Bass N' Brew, heavy on the mister.

Last edited by a moderator:
Seriously, the captain should be Unlucky. He's a solid FFer but more importantly he's drafted with many many people from this board and is possibly the best choice to come up with a solid team of MBers.

Seriously, the captain should be Unlucky. He's a solid FFer but more importantly he's drafted with many many people from this board and is possibly the best choice to come up with a solid team of MBers.
:thumbup: Good info here. I think there are a few others, but no one who has the dedication Unluck has.

Make sure you clearly identify the MB and the experts. I want to make sure I'm listening to the right people ;)

Oh and one more thing...The MB member that finishes the best will be Team Captain for next year.
When I win this season, if I dont want to be captain, can I choose the captain instead? You said something about 1k in prizes right?

When I win this season, if I dont want to be captain, can I choose the captain instead? You said something about 1k in prizes right?
You don't have to be concerned about winning JAA, I've hired your wife out as my consultant so you don't stand a chance. :P

You don't have to be concerned about winning JAA, I've hired your wife out as my consultant so you don't stand a chance. :P
JAA = :JAA:

Nice.I don't know if I've been around enough to get in on this, but I'll throw my hat in. Captain, take a look at adding me.

That's a pretty good point there. JAA's wife has to be a neutral advisor.I think the Staff and Message board rely on her injury advice fairly equally.J

Great Contest, certainly an honor to compete against the FBG staff. I know I for one would like to show my stuff and more importantly show FBG what bringing their A game really means. :boxing:

This is awesome. And you guys are awesome. And I am awesome (so pick me) for the message board team.Seriously, I'd like to participate if I can. Just direct me towards the right (_|_) and I'll start kissing. :ph34r:

For added fun we are going to choose 1 MB person and 1 staff member to analyze the drafts as they are unveiled round by round. This should be mildly amusing.

Here are a few more tidbits:1. Each side will have exactly the same roster spots (1-12) to make this contest 100% equal. ie - league 1:1 - FBG2 - MB3 - FBG4 - MB5 - FBG6 - MBetcand league 2:1 - MB2 - FBG3 - MB4 - FBG5 - MB6 - FBGetc2. Team Scoring (Staff vs MB) will be based on value earned by the final 8 contestants1st place = 20 points2nd place = 15 points3rd place = 10 points4th place = 8 points5th place = 6 points6th place = 4 points7th place = 2 points8th place = 1 point Prizes will be the following: 1st Place = $5002nd Place = $2003rd Place = $754th Place = $505th Place = $406th Place = $307th Place = $258th Place = $20 A Bonus of $500 given to all 12 message board members ($30 each and extra $140 to top MB team) if they beat or tie the FBG staff in the overall competition. Additionally if the overall winner is from the Message Board, he will earn MB Captain honors the following season.So if a MB person wins, and his team wins the team title, he will pick up a cool $670. Not bad for a free league.3. Leagues will be Survivor style so no roster management is needed - Your time commitment will just be to draft a great team and submit the writeups on time.- 20 rounds of drafting- No trading of picks- No trading of players- No free agent pick ups- Serpentine drafting.- No submission of rosters. Each week 1 QB, 2 RB, 3 WR, 1 TE, 1 PK and 1 Def/ST will be maximized for your weekly score.

That's a pretty good point there. JAA's wife has to be a neutral advisor.I think the Staff and Message board rely on her injury advice fairly equally.J
No way Joe ... Unless you hire him, the wife stays with us! lol

Very good idea, this should be a lot of fun whether I'm on the team or not. I can't wait to check out the draft.

I'd love to be on the MB team, though I don't expect to be picked because I haven't been in many leagues with other FBG (though I was in one with all FBG last season).

EDIT: I'll forfeit any prize money I win - I don't want to do this sort of thing for money. I'd take a subscription, though!

Also, I think Salmonstud and I deserve some consideration for being very active advice-givers on the Asst. Coach forum. Unfortunately, that probably won't count for much since in general, guys like Unlucky don't post questions there :-(

This is a great idea! :excited: I for one will not be able to participate from a time constraint :( but I wish the MB team captain and his picks all the best against the FBG staff. It is a way of showing that there is a pinch of luck with the draft along with a lot of skill. Injuries and sleepers can make or bust a team.Unlucky would be a good choice, but there are a lot of saavy FFL'ers here on the FBG message boards. The staff should pick someone as captain that knows a number of the guys here on the MB who spew out good thoughts and knowledge. Unlucky, CouchPotato, GridironAssassin, BassnBrew are a few that I can think of.I for one will be very interested in following this throughout the process and as the season begins. Good luck to all, but especially the MB'ers! :thumbup: Great challenge David Dodds and kudo's to the Staff for coming up with this idea.And a BTW PS: This was not a ploy to get involved with this game or process. I am way too busy and wouldn't have the time to devote to this that I should and therefore, I would let down my fellow MB'ers. There are too many better than me on this MB even though I'm a threepeat champion right now. :excited:

I hereby nominate for Captain:

GRIDIRON ASSASSIN

Good organizational skills, well-informed, fierce competitor.

Who will second the nomination?! :thumbup:

I for one will not be able to participate from a time constraint :( but I wish the MB team captain and his picks all the best against the FBG staff. It is a way of showing that there is a pinch of luck with the draft along with a lot of skill.
I, too, would love to participate but cannot due to not being able to commit to any kind of constistant time schedule.However, I will be rooting for the FBG Staff as I don't want them to be embarrassed in front of their FF Website competitors by having to explain "how they got beat by their Message Board members". :D :boxing:

Well, with the cash out there, at least the Captain of the MB will choose who he feels has the best chance of helping him win, not just take his buddies. It'll be interesting to see who will represent us.....

Unlucky would be a solid choice because he's drafted against most of us staffers. In fact, Unlucky was actually Dodds last minute fill in in our Footballguys Staff League last season, so we know he brings it strong to the hole. :boxing:

Throwing my hat in the ring to be considered by whoever the captain ends up being...Participated in 3 leagues last year:12 Team $100 entry = Won Overall Points, Superbowl runner up (He got lucky)8 Team $100 entry = Won Overall Points & Superbowl12 Team $25 entry = Won Overall Points, Superbowl, & Survivor Contest.Have been an active poster and a member of FBG for 4-5 years going back to Cheetsheets.net and Old Yella.:cantfindbrownnosesmilie: :GenM:

Well, with the cash out there, at least the Captain of the MB will choose who he feels has the best chance of helping him win, not just take his buddies. It'll be interesting to see who will represent us.....
When will the Captain be nominated by FBG and how long does that person have to decide who they will bring into battle?Will you nominate him on a seperate thread or just put it on this one?

When will the Captain be nominated by FBG and how long does that person have to decide who they will bring into battle?Will you nominate him on a seperate thread or just put it on this one?
and miss out on the hype?We will let this go on today and announce the Captain of the MB team plus the full set of rules Wednesday morning. The draft itself will take place within 10 days of the rules being posted (at night). The first 10 rounds of writeups are then due 5 days later.

I'd be honored to be the captain. If not, I'd be happy to be on the team. This is a tough challenge - the staff has little weakness. It's going to take a team of original thinkers to win this league.

and miss out on the hype?We will let this go on today and announce the Captain of the MB team plus the full set of rules Wednesday morning. The draft itself will take place within 10 days of the rules being posted (at night). The first 10 rounds of writeups are then due 5 days later.
LOL, yeah, this thread is going to be huge, quickly. Lots of interest in here, that's for sure. You're going to have one guy (Captain) make some friends real quick.I hope those emails with updates don't stop coming in now that FBG is competing vs. us :D :thumbup:

Unlucky would be a solid choice because he's drafted against most of us staffers. In fact, Unlucky was actually Dodds last minute fill in in our Footballguys Staff League last season, so we know he brings it strong to the hole. :boxing:
Ahah! The conspiracy begins ---- the Staff wants to pick the leader of the opponents. :lol: j/kThe FBG team should have at least one member who, though lacking in football knowledge, can distract the staff with off-color jokes, erotic images, and fart noises. I volunteer. ;)

Unluckycj purplehaze67 all would do well.As for me, I'll just continue to beat the FBG staff guys in No Mercy. I've yet to lose to one there.

Users who are viewing this thread