Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums
Sign in to follow this  
shuke

How 'bout them Reds!

15 hours ago, Rustoleum said:

So, I had the sound off and watched the end of the game tonight.

Reds had a runner on first and tried to sacrifice him over.

Guy puts down the bunt, Pirates opt to take the out at first, but the throw bounces off the runner’s head and the lead runner gets to third. 

Next thing I know, the batter is out for running out of the base path (meh, it wasn’t egregious but whatever) and interfering with the throw, and the runner is back on first. 

I can see not giving the runner third base because of the interference, but the Pirates has already conceded second base to the lead runner by taking the throw to first to begin with (and obscure baseball rule #429 is you can never assume a double play). 

Did they give a reason? Is that just how interference works, or was there some mumbo jumbo about the running not having to advance once the force at second is removed by the out being recorded at first base?

At least they are finding new and interesting ways to lose games still.

Technically, he was out for interfering with the throw to 1B, because he was running in fair territory when the throw hit him.  That's why the double line is there down the 1B line.  Apparently the interference call makes it a dead-ball out and the runner can't advance. 

edit:

6.05 A batter is out when—

(k) In running the last half of the distance from home base to first base, while the ball is being fielded to first base, he runs outside (to the right of) the three-foot line, or Rule 6.05 to 6.06 53 inside (to the left of) the foul line, and in the umpire’s judgment in so doing interferes with the fielder taking the throw at first base, in which case the ball is dead; except that he may run outside (to the right of) the three-foot line or inside (to the left of) the foul line to avoid a fielder attempting to field a batted ball;

Rule 6.05(k) Comment: The lines marking the three-foot lane are a part of that lane and a batter-runner is required to have both feet within the three-foot lane or on the lines marking the lane. The batter-runner is permitted to exit the three-foot lane by means of a step, stride, reach or slide in the immediate vicinity of first base for the sole purpose of touching first base.

Interestingly, there are other sub-items to this rule that explicitly address baserunners (e.g., (i) if the batter intentionally deflects the ball a la Alex Rodriguez, "The ball is dead and no runners may advance;").  There's no such language in (k), so I wonder if there's a separate rule that covers the baserunner having to return to 1B.

Edited by heckmanm

Because I'm bored - not the official MLB rules, mind you but:

So all of this rather begs the question: when do you have interference on a running lane violation? Well, the most common scenario is when you have the runner outside the running lane and the fielder's throw to first base is on line, but the throw hits the runner in the back (or head) causing the ball to drop uncaught. This is not the only scenario, of course, but it's probably the most common one. Kill the ball, call the batter-runner out for interference, and return other runners (if any) to their time-of-pitch base.

• Like 1

Reds put an absolute beat down on the Cubs this weekend. A clinic. 

Two pitchers with HR's, one a grand-slam. 

To complete the series,  one of Schottzie's descendants should have dropped a steaming deuce right in the middle of the Cubs clubhouse. 

• Like 4

20 hours ago, Encyclopedia Brown said:

Reds put an absolute beat down on the Cubs this weekend. A clinic. 

Two pitchers with HR's, one a grand-slam. 

To complete the series,  one of Schottzie's descendants should have dropped a steaming deuce right in the middle of the Cubs clubhouse. 

That was fun!

13 hours ago, shuke said:

Guys, I think we’re good. 

Going to see your team next Friday!  

Want me to try and get Scott Schebler's autograph for you?

• Like 1

On 5/8/2018 at 11:12 PM, Eephus said:

If Harvey can somehow turn things around, he could be a decent trade chip in July.

He’s looked pretty good. 

• Like 2

Big question for me at this point is will they make it back to .500 by the end of the season.  

I personally think they will fall short, but I do like the direction its heading.  I think they get close and end up at 79-83, which would be pretty good considering the start.  

Some questions to maybe get this thread talking a bit.  What do they do with Homer?  Who gets traded?  Who should be traded?  Does Riggleman get a deal to take over permanently, and do you think that's a good idea?  Do they contend in 2019?  2020?  

I know everyone was down on this team after the 3-18 start, but baseball's ebb and flow has always been and always will be.  

Oh, and I love watching them beat the Cubs (and hopefully the Cardinals)

• Like 1

On 7/7/2018 at 7:47 AM, Caesar said:

Big question for me at this point is will they make it back to .500 by the end of the season.  

I personally think they will fall short, but I do like the direction its heading.  I think they get close and end up at 79-83, which would be pretty good considering the start.  

Some questions to maybe get this thread talking a bit.  What do they do with Homer?  Who gets traded?  Who should be traded?  Does Riggleman get a deal to take over permanently, and do you think that's a good idea?  Do they contend in 2019?  2020?  

I know everyone was down on this team after the 3-18 start, but baseball's ebb and flow has always been and always will be.  

Oh, and I love watching them beat the Cubs (and hopefully the Cardinals)

I hope we don’t see too much of a fire sale.   The every day line up looks solid with everyone healthy.  Scooter has proved that he is not a fluke.  SP has been and will be the issue. Mahle and Castillo are legit MLB starters.  Harvey has looked decent but I don’t see him staying or having big trade value.  Disco just needs to stay healthy.  Any trade HAS to give them some SP that can make the rotation in the next 2 years.  

I think they need to take the interim tag off Riggleman.  He has done an excellent job.  This team was DOA 3 weeks into the season. He has them playing hard, having fun and relishing the spoiler role. 

• Like 1

On 7/14/2018 at 10:05 PM, On The Rocks said:

That 7-20 start after the all star break 

:wall:

Looking like April all over again the last 3 days.

On 7/23/2018 at 10:19 AM, heckmanm said:

Looking like April all over again the last 3 days.

I was thinking after that Pirate series, I hope to heck they don't start selling all the good pieces off. 

Homer looking entirely cromulent.

But not crazy about making 2 opposing starters in a row look like Cy Young.

8 hours ago, On The Rocks said:

I was thinking after that Pirate series, I hope to heck they don't start selling all the good pieces off. 

No, but if they don't move Harvey, they're idiots.

1 hour ago, heckmanm said:

No, but if they don't move Harvey, they're idiots.

No doubt. Unfortunately his last outing doesn’t help the Reds get anything in return. 

10 hours ago, On The Rocks said:

No doubt. Unfortunately his last outing doesn’t help the Reds get anything in return. 

At least he's not hurt like Cozart was last year at the deadline.

• Like 1

The Reds have acquired RHP Lucas Sims, RHP Matt Wisler and OF Preston Tucker from the Braves in exchange for OF Adam Duvall.

• Like 1

Trade deadline today.  Clock is ticking on Matt Harvey.  I wonder if they don't get a deal, if they'd try to extend him.

Without him they'll still need two starters in order to compete next year and make a serious run.

With him, I suspect they would still need to acquire two starters but the rotation would look that much better.

I have no idea what kind of salary he would command.

Given the Sp market, I’m positive they’re getting real offers for Harvey. I’d assume he goes today. If I’m wrong and they saw enough value in having him around that they turned down prospects, I agree with you we could be looking at an extension. 

Besides, they have plenty of room to pay someone and finding a pitcher who wants to sign here as a FA is rough. If we have one who wants to be here that we think is good, I’m sure it’s on the table. Now that I typed that, still 90% he goes today. 

10 hours ago, ThaPenguin said:

The Reds have acquired RHP Lucas Sims, RHP Matt Wisler and OF Preston Tucker from the Braves in exchange for OF Adam Duvall.

I was okay with this trade.  Wisler and Sims could be decent.   

If they feel they aren't getting great offers for Harvey today, makes sense to wait until the waiver trade deadline. Seems more big names have been moved around then since the second wild card spot was added.

On 7/31/2018 at 1:09 PM, ThaPenguin said:

If they feel they aren't getting great offers for Harvey today, makes sense to wait until the waiver trade deadline. Seems more big names have been moved around then since the second wild card spot was added.

Article on RedReporter today points out that if they aren't getting good offers, that could also be a signal that he won't command such a high salary as a FA, and the Reds could potentially afford to sign him then.

On ‎8‎/‎21‎/‎2018 at 0:47 PM, heckmanm said:

The Reds are now 1-16 when :homer: pitches. Neat-o.

54-54 when he doesn't.

D'oh

Votto giving up his jersey midgame for a fans t-shirt was pretty cool.

• Like 2

Lots of smoke and no fire yet from the winter meetings.  The best rumor I've heard yet was the Reds interest in Corey Kluber and Trevor Bauer. 

Least favored rumors include Yasiel Puig and Jackie Bradley Jr.  Not a fan of either.  Although Puig would increase his HR totals in GABP.