Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
shuke

How 'bout them Reds!

2,259 posts in this topic

Anything is possible if Reed and Stephenson are ready and Homer is healthy and Mesoraco can somehow catch and remember how to hit and Duvall keeps it up and a million other things.  This thing is held together with strings and tape though.  The minute anything goes wrong, the backup plan is pretty much oh well, draft high again.

1 person likes this

It wasn't a great year for the Reds' prospects.  Stephenson, Reed and Garrett are high potential arms but all have struggled with command.  They need one of those guys to develop like DeSclafani which isn't always a straight patch.

But at least they have a bunch of arms who could develop.  None of their young bats took a big step forward, except maybe for Scott Schebler who has limited upside.  Jesse Winker's power disappeared this year.  Not sure if he was hurt but he has a lot to prove next year.  His command of the strike zone is still impressive.

1 person likes this

Anyone going to any of the caravan stops this weekend?  Taking my kids to Hamilton.

I get trading Phillips, but I don't see how trading for a guy coming off his 2nd Tommy John surgery, a 29 year old A ball pitcher, and paying all but $1 million of BP's salary helps the franchise in any way. 

They'll spend that much in medical bills alone, so there is no cost savings.

Castellini must have had some sort of election bet with Braves ownership.....

They wanted him out of the way and straight releasing him wouldn't have sat well with a big chunk of the fan base.  

5 people like this

Opening day ticket procured.  

1 person likes this

15 minutes ago, shuke said:

Opening day ticket procured.  

Have fun watching Scott Feldman

2 minutes ago, Eephus said:

appointment viewing

Posted (edited)

3 hours ago, Eephus said:

This assumes I'll be sober enough to see for first pitch.

Edited by shuke
1 person likes this

35 minutes ago, shuke said:

This assumes I'll be sober enough to see for first pitch.

Expectations have been set. We better see some Jumbotron time.

2 people like this

Reds haven't had a 200 hit player in 40 years. Pete Rose in 1977 was the last.

33 minutes ago, The Man With No Name said:

Reds haven't had a 200 hit player in 40 years. Pete Rose in 1977 was the last.

Pete should have bet the under

Amir Garrett and Rookie Davis are opening the season in the starting rotation.  Garrett had a very good 2016 and is pretty highly regarded.  Rookie Davis has a cool name and has had a better spring than the other rotation contenders.

I'd stay away from the Reds starters in redrafts unless you can get DeSclafani as a last rounder.

Reed is probably going to be the best of the bunch and he's likely starting in the ML bullpen. Seems to be a plan to limit season long innings totals and develop him slowly. That's a throwback way to develop starters. 

The other surprise is not at least holding Amir down 10 days or whatever for Kris Bryant reasons. Odds are they will have a chance to option him down in a lost season and it will end the same but with pitchers you always have to fear an injury which would put him on the shelf racking up service time. Odd move but more fun than watching Tim Adleman. 

Garrett pitched 144 innings last year in AA/AAA so he'll probably be limited to 170 this year.  He started pitching relatively late so he doesn't have the mileage on his arm as others his age.  Maybe the Reds figure they can use his starts now and then demote him to save service time when DeSclafani and Bailey come back.  They had 14 and 15 different pitchers start games for them in 2015 and 2016 respectively; I'd expect more of the same this season.

What's the over/under for number of wins this year?  73?

Ya  something like that. I was worried it would be even less if they sandbagged the young pitchers in favor of retreads. I think we might beat that with this crew, but I think it's a fair number for a team starting Scott Feldman on opening day. 

Well, so much for wire-to-wire. At least we went 8 pitches before allowing a homer.

Hope Peraza and Hamilton can get clicking with Votto behind them. Still going to lose 90 games because of pitching probably, but at least that could be fun to watch.

Alone atop the standings!!!

2 people like this

At the risk of overreacting, wow Finnegan looked different last night 

1 person likes this

Suck it, Cards!

7 people like this

Adam Duvall was supposed to be a transitional player. A decent option to hold down the fort in a non-embarrassing way until Winker or someone else inevitably took his job. Even with his power last year, we could poke holes in his OBP game. 

As he has started off again with very good defense and our hottest hitter to start the season (on the heels of a very good '16) what do we think guys?  Is he proving that he's actually a big part of the plan now or do you still view him the same way?

2 minutes ago, cheese said:

Adam Duvall was supposed to be a transitional player. A decent option to hold down the fort in a non-embarrassing way until Winker or someone else inevitably took his job. Even with his power last year, we could poke holes in his OBP game. 

As he has started off again with very good defense and our hottest hitter to start the season (on the heels of a very good '16) what do we think guys?  Is he proving that he's actually a big part of the plan now or do you still view him the same way?

I would like to see him improve the plate discipline. If he does that I think he can be a ++ player

I stopped watching for 10 minutes and they pulled Finnegan in the third with a 5-1 lead??

2 minutes ago, shuke said:

I stopped watching for 10 minutes and they pulled Finnegan in the third with a 5-1 lead??

with the bases loaded and Finn can't find the plate most of the game.  Got away with some.

5 minutes ago, shuke said:

no way they would have pulled him while you were watching

1 person likes this

Way to ruin it, shuke

51 minutes ago, Caesar said:

with the bases loaded and Finn can't find the plate most of the game.  Got away with some.

Price early leader for manager of the year :thumbup: 

3 people like this

48 minutes ago, Peyton Marino said:

no way they would have pulled him while you were watching

Huh?

1 minute ago, shuke said:

Price early leader for manager of the year :thumbup: 

It was pretty shrewd.  Been a big critic of his, but that is a good start to winning me over. 

As an aside, LeBlanc kinda looks like Nuke Laloosh with that stupid look on his face before he pitches. 

And on a completely unrelated note, Thom B doesn't know how to pronounce "Marvel".

23 minutes ago, shuke said:

Huh?

You gotta like how Price has managed this bullpen though. Getting his horses in there in high leverage situations, and they've come through so far. I think this team could surprise some folks.

This is fun 

2 people like this

Winker coming up today. Doesn't bother me at all, but very surprised at how they're rushing guys up here. Clearly a new FO regime with a different plan. 

Schebler didn't get much of a chance, but given how the 3 OFs are playing I have to believe he's mostly a bench guy now.  Winker isn't some super prospect that can't ever sit, but a time share in right would be odd with 2 LH hitters. 

1 hour ago, cheese said:

Winker coming up today. Doesn't bother me at all, but very surprised at how they're rushing guys up here. Clearly a new FO regime with a different plan. 

Schebler didn't get much of a chance, but given how the 3 OFs are playing I have to believe he's mostly a bench guy now.  Winker isn't some super prospect that can't ever sit, but a time share in right would be odd with 2 LH hitters. 

Winker's arm won't play in RF, probably.  Neither him nor Schebler starting in right tonight, it's Kievlehanahanah or whatever.

I suspect that was throwing him a bone vs a lefty before being sent down Sunday.  

I don't think they'll move Duvall off left but I haven't heard anyone that matters say that.