What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

What kind of beer is everyone drinking tonight? (3 Viewers)

I am on my third DOGFISH HEAD PUNKIN ALE.First time I ever had this. Not bad. Different.Not a big ale drinker but wanted something new tonight.

Mendocino Winter Ale.Picked up 2 cases a week or so ago, I have a case and 2 beers left. I may keep some to try next year, but for now its my nightly after work beer.Tasty tasty stuff. 3, maybe 4 at the most is all I need.

Mendocino Winter Ale.

Picked up 2 cases a week or so ago, I have a case and 2 beers left. I may keep some to try next year, but for now its my nightly after work beer.

Tasty tasty stuff. 3, maybe 4 at the most is all I need.
With a buddy, we drank the following (in order)Duvel

La Fin Du Monde

Maudite

SN Celebration Ale

Not bad.

That thing will just be going into the secondary at the end of January.  I'll let it sit for about 2-3 months from there and then keg it.  It won't be drinkable until early April.

GB having my own kegging equipment!  :banned:
why on earth would you let it sit in the secondary for 3 months?!?
That's my thought. It's an ale yeast - I can see lagers for 3-4 months. Plus, unless you're planning to dry-hop in the secondary, you may lose some of the co#### aggressive hoppiness that should be there in an AB clone. JMO.
First, it will be dry hopped.Second, the alcohol content, malt profile and hop profile need time to blend together. Time is the only thing that can do that. With 8% abv there are absolutely no issues with it degrading too soon.

Third, I will be be using a highly flocculant ale yeast that will pretty much be droppped out in the primary. I primary based on SG, not visual movement. This will be kegged, so aside from retaining any yeast flavor in the final product, there is no reason to use a less flocculant yeast. You wouldn't taste it in there anyway. At least 99.999% of the beer drinking public would claim that they couldn't.

I have made many big brews in my days. Three months is nothing for a secondary. Now if both of you guys thought I meant primary, I can see the objection. I may even take this to tertiary for clarity. I doubt it though.
Cool. :thumbup: Which yeast will you be using? Wyeast or...? I can definitely see the need for extended time in the secondary when dry hopping. I did a pils once, dry hopped with two ounces of Saaz (made Jever seem sweet), let it go in the secondary for two months... transcendant.
I use White labs almost exclusively. I prefer them to wyeast. I know they aren't as popular industry wide, but I had one problem with syeast once and never looked back. I will be using WLP-001 California Ale yeast for the ******* clone. Attenuation is 73-80% with a highly rated flocculation.I just got my lagering fridge set up, so I will be doing a samiclaus clone this winter too. That one will be secondaried for nearly a year.

Mendocino Winter Ale.

Picked up 2 cases a week or so ago, I have a case and 2 beers left. I may keep some to try next year, but for now its my nightly after work beer.

With a buddy, we drank the following (in order)Duvel

La Fin Du Monde

Maudite

SN Celebration Ale

Not bad.
That's a great list. Pretty tough to top.

I just bought some Sierra Nevada Celebration Ale and Bridgeport IPA. Probably won't open them until tomorrow when the guests arrive (it's Jack & 7 tonight). Thoughts on either? I have had Sierra Nevada before but not their Celebration Ale. First time for Bridgeport.

I just bought some Sierra Nevada Celebration Ale and Bridgeport IPA. Probably won't open them until tomorrow when the guests arrive (it's Jack & 7 tonight). Thoughts on either? I have had Sierra Nevada before but not their Celebration Ale. First time for Bridgeport.
I have just tried the SN Celebration. First, I am a big fan of SN Pale Ale. It was really the first non-crap beer that got me hooked on drinking better beer. I'll drink a SN Pale Ale anytime.The Celebration has a sharper, drier, hoppier thing to it. So, it is more flavorful, but at this point I am a little undecided.

Certainly worth trying, and I know it gets great reviews, I am just not sure I love it.

Enjoy!

This Duvel beer has my totally attention. Awesome!! Nectar of the Gods.

Mendocino Winter Ale.

I would imagine that 3 or 4 would set you up right. Check out the precent alcohol on that one - in small print on the neckband (I believe) are the characters "9% ABV." Paul McErlaine did a great job on this brew IMO. Seems like it would have enough hops to age nicely.Two Albany Pump Station Winter Warmers for me at lunch is the limit of my drinking today. I love that place - received a kickass buyback today. I love it when that happens. :thumbup:

So far tonight, Dragonslayer on cask (there oughta be a law but I'm glad there isn't), Blue Point Winter on tap (that brewery knows its stuff!), and Young's Winter Warmer 2005. That'll probably do it for me as I'm working on three hours sleep.
Had some Blue Point Octoberfest this afternoon at our company Christmas party. I've always been a big fan of theirs (love the growlers)I didn't realize they made seasonals.

Generally I'm a Killians, Sams or Sierra Nevada fan.

Oh, can't forget Brooklyn Lager.

I have just tried the SN Celebration. First, I am a big fan of SN Pale Ale. It was really the first non-crap beer that got me hooked on drinking better beer. I'll drink a SN Pale Ale anytime.The Celebration has a sharper, drier, hoppier thing to it. So, it is more flavorful, but at this point I am a little undecided.

Certainly worth trying, and I know it gets great reviews, I am just not sure I love it.

Enjoy!
SNPA was my gateway beer to better beers as well. One of my favorites. If you like SNPA, you will probably love SNCA. Its like the Pale Ale on steroids. Ive bought and drank 2 cases since I first saw it last month. Excellent stuff, although Ive heard that it isnt as good as last years Celebration. I wish I would have tried some.

Mendocino Winter Ale.

I would imagine that 3 or 4 would set you up right. Check out the precent alcohol on that one - in small print on the neckband (I believe) are the characters "9% ABV." Paul McErlaine did a great job on this brew IMO. Seems like it would have enough hops to age nicely.Two Albany Pump Station Winter Warmers for me at lunch is the limit of my drinking today. I love that place - received a kickass buyback today. I love it when that happens. :thumbup:
Yeah, its a 9% hop bomb, the alcohol is masked awesomely, and the Cascade/Amarillo/Simcoe hop combo is perfect. Which is why Ive been snatching it up at $20 a case. You just dont see great double IPAs around these parts for that cheap. It IS a expertly crafted beer. I like it better than SN Celebration. It ranks right up there with (gasp) DFH 90 minute, IMO. :yes:

Last edited by a moderator:
That thing will just be going into the secondary at the end of January. I'll let it sit for about 2-3 months from there and then keg it. It won't be drinkable until early April.

GB having my own kegging equipment! :banned:
why on earth would you let it sit in the secondary for 3 months?!?
That's my thought. It's an ale yeast - I can see lagers for 3-4 months. Plus, unless you're planning to dry-hop in the secondary, you may lose some of the co#### aggressive hoppiness that should be there in an AB clone. JMO.
First, it will be dry hopped.Second, the alcohol content, malt profile and hop profile need time to blend together. Time is the only thing that can do that. With 8% abv there are absolutely no issues with it degrading too soon.

Third, I will be be using a highly flocculant ale yeast that will pretty much be droppped out in the primary. I primary based on SG, not visual movement. This will be kegged, so aside from retaining any yeast flavor in the final product, there is no reason to use a less flocculant yeast. You wouldn't taste it in there anyway. At least 99.999% of the beer drinking public would claim that they couldn't.

I have made many big brews in my days. Three months is nothing for a secondary. Now if both of you guys thought I meant primary, I can see the objection. I may even take this to tertiary for clarity. I doubt it though.
Cool. :thumbup: Which yeast will you be using? Wyeast or...? I can definitely see the need for extended time in the secondary when dry hopping. I did a pils once, dry hopped with two ounces of Saaz (made Jever seem sweet), let it go in the secondary for two months... transcendant.
I use White labs almost exclusively. I prefer them to wyeast. I know they aren't as popular industry wide, but I had one problem with syeast once and never looked back. I will be using WLP-001 California Ale yeast for the ******* clone. Attenuation is 73-80% with a highly rated flocculation.I just got my lagering fridge set up, so I will be doing a samiclaus clone this winter too. That one will be secondaried for nearly a year.
I still think that is just too long to be sitting on whatever yeast remains in the secondary. Old fashioned logic? Perhaps... however, I fully support a tertiary fermentation.Best of luck regardless... oh, and have fun with the lagering setup - that is something I hope to be able to do in the near future (now that I own a house and have lots of extra room)!

Happy Holidays!

Oh, and to answer the thread (again) Legacy Hedonism, and Victory Prima Pils. Tomorrow for dinner? A 5 liter mini-keg of a homebrewed spiced stong-ale.

Hop Wallop. Potent stuff. Gotta go easy...don't want a Christmas morning hangover.

Merry Christmas! :banned: :banned:

Just got to Maryland for Christmas so we are off to a few Clipper City Gold Ales. Very drinkeable - could down a lotta these.

I realize this is heresy, but Beer tends to upset my stomach in anything beyond one bottle numbers, so I tend to pass.But Rumplemintz, however.... :D :D :D

Just got to Maryland for Christmas so we are off to a few Clipper City Gold Ales.

Very drinkeable - could down a lotta these.
Search out their "Heavy Seas" line if you've never tried them. Loose Cannon and Small Craft Warning are excellent.

Last night did Stone IPA. Excellent IPA.
Picked up a bottle of this Thurdsay. I'm trying to decide what to take to my NYE party tonight. It's at a brewpub, and usually 6 of theirs on tap included in the price, but I sometimes carry in a couple of my own.Candidates (currently on hand):

- Duchesse de Burgogne (Flanders Red)

- Boon or Lindemans Geuze

- New Glarus Raspberry Tart

- Stone Ruination IPA

- Corsendonk Christmas Ale

- Saison d'Epautre

- Allagash Grand Cru

I'll probably take 2 or 3 along, save the rest for another time.

I'll be sampling some Capital Brewery specials tonight. The fellas in the FBG Beer of the Month Club will get a taste come May.Currently having a Capital Brewery Pilsner. Probably my favorite micro-pilsner brew.

Last night did Stone IPA. Excellent IPA.
Picked up a bottle of this Thurdsay. I'm trying to decide what to take to my NYE party tonight. It's at a brewpub, and usually 6 of theirs on tap included in the price, but I sometimes carry in a couple of my own.Candidates (currently on hand):

- Duchesse de Burgogne (Flanders Red)

- Boon or Lindemans Geuze

- New Glarus Raspberry Tart

- Stone Ruination IPA

- Corsendonk Christmas Ale

- Saison d'Epautre

- Allagash Grand Cru

I'll probably take 2 or 3 along, save the rest for another time.
That's a hell of a good beer list. I just finished a Duck Rabbit Rabid Imperial Stout which is a North Carolina brewery and its their first high alcohol offering. Tonight I will be drinking whiskey.

Users who are viewing this thread