What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Pinner to get all of the carries w/ the 1st string (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Generally, the guy that gets all the carries in the 4th preseason game is usually the main backup to the real #1. In this case, Kevin Jones.If Pinner was the #1, he would play no more than a series in the 4th game.

Does anyone else think the Lions are almost mirroring the Cardinals' treatment of Boldin last year with the way they're handling Jones? Last year Boldin was getting good reviews for his play in training camp, but the Cards never showcased him in the preseason. I've heard nothing but good things about Jones, but the Lions have given him a very light workload thus far. I also think it's interesting how careful Mariucci was with KJ's hamstring tweak. I get the feeling that the Lions have big plans for Jones, although I have him in about every league I'm in and am thus more than a little inclined to be optimistic about his prospects.

I get the feeling that the Lions have big plans for Jones, although I have him in about every league I'm in and am thus more than a little inclined to be optimistic about his prospects.
don't you just love that feeling? that's what brings me back to FF every year. embrace it! :thumbup: :football:

After watching K. Jones this past weekend I'm convinced he's the real deal. GB the NFL Network.

Last edited by a moderator:
After watching K. Jones this past weekend I'm convinced he's the real deal. GB the NFL Network.
:goodposting: He looked really good against the Ravens, which ain't easy to do. I don't know how to explain it better than to say that he looks like he knows what he's doing - he seems a natural runner to me.

Isn't Pinner getting all the 1st team carries because Kevin Jones is being held out of the last pre-season game to rest the foot he sprained last Thursday?From Fanball Updates

August 30, 2004 4:38 PM ET Lions: Jones could miss preseason finale The NewsLions' rookie running back Kevin Jones played against the Ravens on Saturday in spite of a sprained foot suffered last Thursday. Booth newspapers reports Jones will likely be held out of the preseason finale on Thursday as a precaution.

Pinner WILL NOT do anything, he sucks! Has anybody that is pimping Pinner watched him??? Jones IS the real deal. This is just my opinion, but as a huge Lions fan (don't laugh), the Lions don't want to risk Jones getting hurt. He will be the starter this year, Pinner will be the backup. They are talking about McMahon starting and playing almost the whole game. Does this mean he is the starter over Harrington? The fact that Pinner is starting the last pre-season game & Jones is sitting should tell you something.

RBBC.. I am sure this will be a mess for a while..
Wrong, all reports in the Detroit media and on BOTH sports talk stations is that Jones is the man here. He is likely to be held out or see minimal time as well as Harrington in the final preseason game to avoid further injury (can you say James Stewart).In an interview on one station this morning with Chris Speilman he commented that even though Jones' 40 times were slow (true?) he has a great ability to get to the corner like other great RB's.Toose is barely being talked about. I would have taken KJ in a heartbeat if he had fallen to me in all my drafts (only did in one) and am very comfortable with him at RB3 in the league I do.Time to get on the Lions bandwagon, it's leaving the station!!

Actually, Wish, I just heard yesterday on the way home from work that Pinner will be used in goalline situations, which is a super bummer from a fantasy perspective. That is what Tom Kowalski said. He also said that KJ's 'sprained foot' is much like Barry Sander's 'flu symptoms' he had every year during the preseason.

You mean Pinner isn't on IR yet? That has to be some kind of personal record for him. Well, if he's getting the start in the JV game, that streak will most likely come to an end.

Generally, the guy that gets all the carries in the 4th preseason game is usually the main backup to the real #1. In this case, Kevin Jones.If Pinner was the #1, he would play no more than a series in the 4th game.
Thank you. Traditionally, the starters play their last amount of significant pre season action in the second to last game, which in Jones' case was last weekend. The last pre season game is used to sort out last minute back-up position battles and few, if any, first string players will get onto the field. After watching Jones against Baltimore's defense, I would say the kid is the starter from day one. Paging the Pinner Party. You're bench seat for one is ready.

I've said all along, ever since they drafted Jones, is that barring injury, Jones will be the starter, and Pinner the backup. I still expect a split of around 65/35.

get the feeling that the Lions have big plans for Jones, although I have him in about every league I'm in and am thus more than a little inclined to be optimistic about his prospects.
Funk,You have been pimping KJ for months. I think you may have selected him a little too early in a few drafts that you have posted, but I think you are dead on accurate. He is going to be a stud.

:lol: Of course Pinner will get the most carries. Not many teams give their starters much time, if any at all, the last preseason game.

Pinner WILL NOT do anything, he sucks! Has anybody that is pimping Pinner watched him??? Jones IS the real deal. This is just my opinion, but as a huge Lions fan (don't laugh), the Lions don't want to risk Jones getting hurt. He will be the starter this year, Pinner will be the backup. They are talking about McMahon starting and playing almost the whole game. Does this mean he is the starter over Harrington? The fact that Pinner is starting the last pre-season game & Jones is sitting should tell you something.
Stud RBs don't do well in the preseason always(even though I said to watch and you'll see a stud, I don't think he'll do all that well for this game). They simply don't care about the preseason and don't want to risk the injury. Trust me, Pinner is the real deal.

dear murder accomplice avatar man, please provide a link to a thread where you supported your Pinner assertions with details (im sure you did somewhere). If not, I will happily keep ignoring your baseless assertions that this nearly undraftable player will find his way into the top 20.

Stud RBs don't do well in the preseason always(even though I said to watch and you'll see a stud, I don't think he'll do all that well for this game). They simply don't care about the preseason and don't want to risk the injury. Trust me, Pinner is the real deal.
So first it's - Watch and you'll see a stud because Pinner will be running with the first team.Now you hedge and say that you don't think he'll do that well this game, but that we should trust your arbitrary judgement.What game will it be when Pinner becomes this uber-stud RB that you're touting? Or will you just continue to come up with more excuses? When Pinner actually does something I might actually "trust you" but until he actually shows something on the NFL field that proves he's better than Shawn Bryson or Olandis Gary (who've actually done something in the NFL), there's no way I'll believe that he's a better option than Jones.For now he's a guy that played in 3 regular season games, started 2 and averaged a paltry 2.5 ypc, including a season high 2.9 ypc against the swiss cheese Chiefs D. Wait, do the Lions "not care" about end of season games too, and that's why he didn't do well? So far in 3 games this pre-season he's got 51 rushing yards a fumble and is averaging 2.83 ypc against mostly 2nd and 3rd team defences. I'm salivating at what he may do against first teamers :rolleyes: Jones has 65 yards in 2 games and is averaging 4.95 ypc against first team defences, one of them being Baltimore.I realize that it's a rather small sample but in 3 regular season games Pinner couldn't crack the mighty 3 ypc barrier and it continues through to this pre-season against lesser defences after he's had an even longer recouperation time from his injury which I'm sure you'll also use as an excuse.

With James Stewart knocked out for the season last year during a pre-season game, I doubt that the Lions will make that mistake again. Expect the week one starter to be on the bench this week.

I like Kevin Jones as much as any of you, but I'm also not going to be naive and think that Pinner stinks "because he's not shown anyone anything"..This may be just my humble opinion, but here's some key points I'd make regarding Pinner:- Led the SEC in rushing, no small feat for someone with supposedly no talent.- He's finally healthy for the first time in a Lions uniform- <sarcasm mode> Running backs get hurt. Surprised? </sarcasm mode>- As a player who played both FB and HB, he can block, catch and do the little things that coaches crave... hmmmm.. like picking up a blitz.In situations like this where you haven't gotten a good look at a player for their NFL team, I always go back to my gut instincts and the scouting I've done on that player - which includes any previous chances I've had to watch them play whether it was in the Senior Bowl game, college, etc.Pinner gets no love here on the board.. but I do believe if Jones gets hurt and Pinner is presented an opportunity to start - then he would deliver at least decent stats similar to a Marcel Shipp, Michael Pittman or Duce Staley.. We're not talking instant-stud status, but he could put together a stretch of games where he's easily a solid #2 fantasy back and a key contributor in the starting lineup.Then again.. that's just my take on the subject.

Is it just me or does anyone else remember this time last year when Pinner was the one being "pimped" as the stud in the making once Stewart went down. My oh my, how opinions can quickly change....

Watch and you'll see a stud in the making.
First Thomas Jones will be a top 5 back. Now Pinner being a stud! What planet are you from. Seriously.
You're right because the top 10 RBs always stay the same from year to year :rolleyes:
I love how you do that. "Top 5" magically becomes "Top 10" "Watch a stud in the making" transforms into "I don't think he'll do all that well for this game" Have you considered a career in politics?

QUOTE (GridironMenace @ Aug 31 2004, 11:03 AM)QUOTEWatch and you'll see a stud in the making.First Thomas Jones will be a top 5 back. Now Pinner being a stud! What planet are you from. Seriously.You're right because the top 10 RBs always stay the same from year to year rolleyes
For the most part they do stay the same with an exception or 2. But to say Thomas Jones is going to be a top 5 back is insane! I will bet you anything that won't happen. Anything. ##### I'll bet you anything that Jones won't be a top 10 back! It just won't happen. Will he be improved over years past? Perhaps and most likely so. But top 10 back just won't happen. Same with Pinner. He is decent. But he is a backup. Even if Jones went down with an injury if Pinner is your #1 backup, your team is hurtin'. Pinner is a guy to take a flyer on at the end of the draft as a #4 or #5 RB for a team. But to say STUD after his name, is again...insane. :yawn:

Is it just me or does anyone else remember this time last year when Pinner was the one being "pimped" as the stud in the making once Stewart went down. My oh my, how opinions can quickly change....
I don't think Pinner was active at the point Stewart went down. If I recall, he came off the PUP list around weeks 8-10 in 2003.I'll stand corrected if that's wrong, but the rush after JS went down was for Bryson, Cason, and some others. Pinner wasn't b/c he wasn't eligible.

SO you are still touting Pinner after the great performance in the first half on Saturday? 2 carries, 0 yards? Oh, and a fumble later in the game!He is playing in most of the fourth preseason game, this should tell you something. Look, he will be used on some third down, some goaline and to spell Jones during the season. In fact, this is the most you will ever see of Pinner because by midseason to next season, when Jones learns the offense, he will be the everydown back and Pinner will have very little to no fantasy value. So watch the game on Thursday and enjoy. After that... :bag:

Pinner sucks . Plus he needed three doctors to put his foot and ankle back together after the 2003 Senior bowl. Get over him, Bryson is the No .2 RB after KJ.

I like Kevin Jones as much as any of you, but I'm also not going to be naive and think that Pinner stinks "because he's not shown anyone anything"..This may be just my humble opinion, but here's some key points I'd make regarding Pinner:- Led the SEC in rushing, no small feat for someone with supposedly no talent.- He's finally healthy for the first time in a Lions uniform- <sarcasm mode> Running backs get hurt. Surprised? </sarcasm mode>- As a player who played both FB and HB, he can block, catch and do the little things that coaches crave... hmmmm.. like picking up a blitz.In situations like this where you haven't gotten a good look at a player for their NFL team, I always go back to my gut instincts and the scouting I've done on that player - which includes any previous chances I've had to watch them play whether it was in the Senior Bowl game, college, etc.
:goodposting: :goodposting: :goodposting:

exactly! But then because he got hurt, hes no longer good? People have short memories. Pinner is an absolute stud.

Watch and you'll see a stud in the making.
First Thomas Jones will be a top 5 back. Now Pinner being a stud! What planet are you from. Seriously.
You're right because the top 10 RBs always stay the same from year to year :rolleyes:
I love how you do that. "Top 5" magically becomes "Top 10" "Watch a stud in the making" transforms into "I don't think he'll do all that well for this game" Have you considered a career in politics?
Fine...........You're right because the top 5 RBs always stay the same :rolleyes:

For the most part they do stay the same with an exception or 2. But to say Thomas Jones is going to be a top 5 back is insane! I will bet you anything that won't happen. Anything. ##### I'll bet you anything that Jones won't be a top 10 back! It just won't happen. Will he be improved over years past? Perhaps and most likely so. But top 10 back just won't happen.
An exception or 2? The top RBs change dramatically every year! What about Priest Holmes when he first became a stud. Were you as sure about him never being in the top 5 as you are now about Jones?

Pinner sucks . Plus he needed three doctors to put his foot and ankle back together after the 2003 Senior bowl. Get over him, Bryson is the No .2 RB after KJ.
By that accord, Garrison Hearst would've been dead and buried as far as his NFL career YEARS ago.I also think Duce Staley would have been out of the league for years after his nasty foot injury - which at the time - nobody had come back from and played at the same level.I think stating Pinner "sucks" is a bit drastic.A more appropriate statement might be... "I haven't seen Pinner do anything and when I have seen him play he looked like a plodder without much explosion and didn't seem to hit the holes or do anything when he had the ball"...Then again, I'd challenge any RB to have a productive season on last year's Lions team. I'm not saying Pinner is going to Honolulu anytime soon, but damn shazaam.. give the guy a chance.

I like Kevin Jones as much as any of you, but I'm also not going to be naive and think that Pinner stinks "because he's not shown anyone anything"..This may be just my humble opinion, but here's some key points I'd make regarding Pinner:- Led the SEC in rushing, no small feat for someone with supposedly no talent.- He's finally healthy for the first time in a Lions uniform- <sarcasm mode> Running backs get hurt. Surprised? </sarcasm mode>- As a player who played both FB and HB, he can block, catch and do the little things that coaches crave... hmmmm.. like picking up a blitz.In situations like this where you haven't gotten a good look at a player for their NFL team, I always go back to my gut instincts and the scouting I've done on that player - which includes any previous chances I've had to watch them play whether it was in the Senior Bowl game, college, etc.Pinner gets no love here on the board.. but I do believe if Jones gets hurt and Pinner is presented an opportunity to start - then he would deliver at least decent stats similar to a Marcel Shipp, Michael Pittman or Duce Staley.. We're not talking instant-stud status, but he could put together a stretch of games where he's easily a solid #2 fantasy back and a key contributor in the starting lineup.Then again.. that's just my take on the subject.
Ki Jana Carter?

QUOTE (GridironMenace @ Aug 31 2004, 12:36 PM)For the most part they do stay the same with an exception or 2. But to say Thomas Jones is going to be a top 5 back is insane! I will bet you anything that won't happen. Anything. ##### I'll bet you anything that Jones won't be a top 10 back! It just won't happen. Will he be improved over years past? Perhaps and most likely so. But top 10 back just won't happen.An exception or 2? The top RBs change dramatically every year! What about Priest Holmes when he first became a stud. Were you as sure about him never being in the top 5 as you are now about Jones?
Holmes had decent/good seasons in the past. Pinner has done nothing. He is on a weak team with a weak offensive line. The fact is that you are just throwing out names with nothing to back them up. Absolute stud...come on! Gimmie a break. It is easy to sit behind your CPU and toss names out there. If you had to bet your house...errr your parents' house on your statements- would you? I didn't think so either. :wall:

By that accord, Garrison Hearst would've been dead and buried as far as his NFL career YEARS ago.I also think Duce Staley would have been out of the league for years after his nasty foot injury - which at the time - nobody had come back from and played at the same level.I think stating Pinner "sucks" is a bit drastic.A more appropriate statement might be... "I haven't seen Pinner do anything and when I have seen him play he looked like a plodder without much explosion and didn't seem to hit the holes or do anything when he had the ball"...Then again, I'd challenge any RB to have a productive season on last year's Lions team. I'm not saying Pinner is going to Honolulu anytime soon, but damn shazaam.. give the guy a chance.
:own3d: :own3d: :own3d:

If you had to bet your house...errr your parents' house on your statements- would you? I didn't think so either. :wall:
Why do people feel the need to insult you if they disagree with you. What does age or financial situation have to do with projecting players. I'm 23 and live on my own. If you really want to know about my financial situation, go talk to some of the poker crown in the FFA and you'll see that I'm well off.

I like Kevin Jones as much as any of you, but I'm also not going to be naive and think that Pinner stinks "because he's not shown anyone anything"..This may be just my humble opinion, but here's some key points I'd make regarding Pinner:- Led the SEC in rushing, no small feat for someone with supposedly no talent.- He's finally healthy for the first time in a Lions uniform- <sarcasm mode> Running backs get hurt. Surprised? </sarcasm mode>- As a player who played both FB and HB, he can block, catch and do the little things that coaches crave... hmmmm.. like picking up a blitz.In situations like this where you haven't gotten a good look at a player for their NFL team, I always go back to my gut instincts and the scouting I've done on that player - which includes any previous chances I've had to watch them play whether it was in the Senior Bowl game, college, etc.
:goodposting: :goodposting: :goodposting:
Great. When DET moves into the SEC, I'm all over him. Until then, I think I'll wait to see him prove that he can play at this level.

I have not seen anything that would make me think Pinner is even a marginal NFL back. Heck Avon Colbourne had a great pre-season last year for the Lions. Where's he at again?? Oh yeah, NFL Europe...(although he is leading the league in rushing :P ) Hope I don't jinx myself but i'll give it the ole sandbagger quote:

Pinner has no chance!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Pinner - 7 carries, 29 yards, against the Bills. This is your stud? :loco:
4+ YPC against a very good run defense...Not that Pinner is a stud, but I don't think I'd knock him for that stat line...

It's not bad, but considering how much jvw's been hyping him, we expected more. The guy's even said that Pinner would be the man in detroit. Call me crazy, but I think the guy who got 36 yds on 7 carries, against the ravens (a much better run defense) is the better of the two.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread