What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

♲ Heath Miller. Full go 9/27, with 70+ yards. (1 Viewer)

BigSteelThrill

Footballguy
(KFFL)Pittsburgh Steelers TE Heath Miller (was) limited during practice Wednesday, Sept. 4.

He was the #4 TE in points-per-game in his first year with Haley. 71/816/8. He remains the "tall" option in the offense.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have high hopes for this guy, got um in half my leagues.

(paired him with like an adp10-12 TE with upside as well)

cstu said:
I expect him back week 6 after the bye.
He is practicing on a limited basis and has not been ruled out for week 1. I don't think he plays this week but it sounds like he is closer than 6 weeks.

Not picking him up yet, but keeping an eye on him. He may be a good grab-after-waivers pick following week 1 or 2.

Grabbed him of the WW as a third TE behind Witten and Bennett in a PPR-dynasty. It's gonna be a wait-and-see approach and after six or so weeks I will cut or trade one of the three. I somehow expect it to be Bennett and not Miller though... :cool:

cstu said:
He is practicing on a limited basis and has not been ruled out for week 1. I don't think he plays this week but it sounds like he is closer than 6 weeks.
It's very possible he could be back before then but he's not practicing with the team right now so I don't expect him week 1. Week 6 sounds like a long way away but week 4 is only 25 days.

cstu said:
It's very possible he could be back before then but he's not practicing with the team right now so I don't expect him week 1. Week 6 sounds like a long way away but week 4 is only 25 days.
Take this FWIW - he hasnt been ruled out of this week's game by Tomlin (only Le'Veon Bell is listed as OUT right now per Tomlin)

I think he'll be back Week 3 or 4

(Rotoworld)Heath Miller (knee) is expected to practice in full this week.

Analysis: During the Monday Night Football broadcast, ESPN's Mike Tirico said Mike Tomlin thinks Miller could be back as soon as Week 3.

(TheHuddle)Pittsburgh Steelers head coach Mike Tomlin said he expects TE Heath Miller (knee) to be a full participant in practice this week.

Analysis: During the Monday Night Football broadcast, ESPN's Mike Tirico said Mike Tomlin thinks Miller could be back as soon as Week 3.

(TheHuddle)Pittsburgh Steelers head coach Mike Tomlin said he expects TE Heath Miller (knee) to be a full participant in practice this week.
I really thought they wait until after the week 5 bye, but at this point they need to get him on the field if he can play.

I really thought they wait until after the week 5 bye, but at this point they need to get him on the field if he can play.
This clearly was not the plan or he would have been on the PUP.

This clearly was not the plan or he would have been on the PUP.
The PUP would have meant he couldn't come back until week 7 and he wouldn't be able to practice with the team.

Grabbed him of the WW as a third TE behind Witten and Bennett in a PPR-dynasty. It's gonna be a wait-and-see approach and after six or so weeks I will cut or trade one of the three. I somehow expect it to be Bennett and not Miller though... :cool:
The guy finished TE4 last year. Wtf was he doing on the WW in a dynasty league?

He turns 31 next month, is coming off a serious injury, and has a history of TE2 type production. TE is incredibly deep right now with both solid starter tyoes and athletic young prospects. It's not outrageous at all that he'd be on waivers.

Spent $10 on him (out of $100). Probably overpaid, but my TE situation is a mess. Plus it's a 15-man league so the options are pretty thin.

Think he'll play this week or next?

Even given Miller's age and his health, I like the situation that he's returning to for potential fantasy relevance.

The Steelers run game is in shambles (both the O Line and the RBs) so I see the Steelers passing more this year.

Neither Antonio Brown nor Emanuel Sanders currently have a TD nor are they large redzone threats. When the Steelers get near the goalline (could be rare) the larger Miller could be the option Roethlisberger looks too first.

He turns 31 next month, is coming off a serious injury, and has a history of TE2 type production. TE is incredibly deep right now with both solid starter tyoes and athletic young prospects. It's not outrageous at all that he'd be on waivers.
Has a history of TE2 production... in a completely different offense. It was pretty clear that Arians didn't utilize Heath and Haley did. I took him as my backup in every league I could this year and absolutely would not have considered dropping him in dynasty so long as rosters were 20+.

I think it's a great sign he might be back week 3 and should easily be a top 10 TE for the back half of the season.

Maybe this will boost the productivity of all the Steelers (Brown, Ben, Sanders). The running game is toast though.

with PIT's pathetic running game, I hope they don't ask Miller to stay in and block.
With Haley's dink and dunk style, blocking from the TE isn't as important. With Arians' vertical style he needed Heath to block very often. He should be good for 7 targets a game once again. The loss of Pouncey will hurt the run game more than this short passing game, I would assume.

Heath Muller need to come back on this team. He be the guy who opening up the outside for the WR's and helping this offense to fire on all its cylinder. He be alot like Jay Novacek was to the Cowboys. Him is excelling in drawing up the coverages of the safteys so that the playmakers on the outside can has single coverage.

Heath Muller need to come back on this team. He be the guy who opening up the outside for the WR's and helping this offense to fire on all its cylinder. He be alot like Jay Novacek was to the Cowboys. Him is excelling in drawing up the coverages of the safteys so that the playmakers on the outside can has single coverage.
I couldnot half sed it betta meself.

I could see a lot of 6/60 games with TDs sprinkled throughout.

I've had him as my bench stash but with the injury to Allen am tempted to go with Fleener instead. I don't know... Miller was great last year but will he be valuable after injury on a horrible offense?

FF Ninja said:
Rick James said:
with PIT's pathetic running game, I hope they don't ask Miller to stay in and block.
With Haley's dink and dunk style, blocking from the TE isn't as important. With Arians' vertical style he needed Heath to block very often. He should be good for 7 targets a game once again. The loss of Pouncey will hurt the run game more than this short passing game, I would assume.
This is my concern. I remember last time when the O-line was devastated and Miller was primarily a blocker. I really wanted him, but with Haley and the bad O-line, I had to go elsewhere (Clay). BUT - if I had room I would love to wait and see ...Brown and Sanders need a compliment and if they start to stretch the field with Wheaton ...and, and, oh ####.

FF Ninja said:
Rick James said:
This is my concern. I remember last time when the O-line was devastated and Miller was primarily a blocker. I really wanted him, but with Haley and the bad O-line, I had to go elsewhere (Clay). BUT - if I had room I would love to wait and see ...Brown and Sanders need a compliment and if they start to stretch the field with Wheaton ...and, and, oh ####.
I'm not clear on what you are talking about. Haley has only been in Pit one year and Miller got 100 targets in 15 games and was really consistent. Haley is an asset for Miller. The loss of the center isn't good, but shouldn't change Haley's use of Miller.

FF Ninja said:
Coeur de Lion said:
Has a history of TE2 production... in a completely different offense. It was pretty clear that Arians didn't utilize Heath and Haley did. I took him as my backup in every league I could this year and absolutely would not have considered dropping him in dynasty so long as rosters were 20+.

I think it's a great sign he might be back week 3 and should easily be a top 10 TE for the back half of the season.
We agree on Miller - I won't be at all surprised if he's a top 10 TE over the 2nd half of the season. You're primarily a redraft guy though, correct? Unsexy old middling TE1 production is completely worthless in dynasty right now due to the glut of talent at the position. Guys like Owen Daniels, Greg Olsen, Antonio Gates, etc aren't bringing anything right now because everyone's got a solid starter and using multiple bench spots on the young upside guys.

FF Ninja said:
Rick James said:
The Steelers absolutely depend on blocking from the TE. So much so that they signed Spaeth in the offseason (now injured) and have resorted to playing OT/OG/C Kevin Beachum at TE on occasion in Miller's absence.

Miller is one of Ben's favorite targets but he will be utilized in the running game though it is possible they might ease him into it for a few weeks.

FF Ninja said:
Coeur de Lion said:

We agree on Miller - I won't be at all surprised if he's a top 10 TE over the 2nd half of the season. You're primarily a redraft guy though, correct? Unsexy old middling TE1 production is completely worthless in dynasty right now due to the glut of talent at the position. Guys like Owen Daniels, Greg Olsen, Antonio Gates, etc aren't bringing anything right now because everyone's got a solid starter and using multiple bench spots on the young upside guys.
Most of my leagues are redraft, but for a top 10 TE to be on the WW in a dynasty league with 25+/- roster spots x 12 teams is just crazy. I know people like to stash youth, but unless it is a 10 team league with unusually short benches, he should be stashed by a team with a weak TE situation at the very least. I know this year has appeared to introduce a lot of talent at the TE position, but it looked really weak before week 1, so someone should've had last year's #4 on their roster.

FF Ninja said:
Rick James said:
The Steelers absolutely depend on blocking from the TE. So much so that they signed Spaeth in the offseason (now injured) and have resorted to playing OT/OG/C Kevin Beachum at TE on occasion in Miller's absence.

Miller is one of Ben's favorite targets but he will be utilized in the running game though it is possible they might ease him into it for a few weeks.
I didn't say he'd never block, just that he won't be blocking more than last year.

Heath Miller (knee) practiced in full Friday.That's a clean sweep of the week for Miller, who was a full participant in each practice this week. His chances of suiting up for Sunday night's game against the Bears look good, though he'd likely be on a snap count.

Heath has a decent chance to be involved this week, watching how the Jets defended ATL. With L Bell, A Brown, E Sanders and H Miller all at Ben's disposal, PIT may not be so horrible on offense this week. Probably looking at 5 catches for 55 yards and half a chance at a score for Miller. I see him starting on rosters this week in 2 TE leagues, 1.5 PPR TE leagues, and for Gonzo owners in mandatory TE leagues.

Heath has a decent chance to be involved this week, watching how the Jets defended ATL. With L Bell, A Brown, E Sanders and H Miller all at Ben's disposal, PIT may not be so horrible on offense this week. Probably looking at 5 catches for 55 yards and half a chance at a score for Miller. I see him starting on rosters this week in 2 TE leagues, 1.5 PPR TE leagues, and for Gonzo owners in mandatory TE leagues.
Sounds about right to me (5/55 was actually his average last year). He should be top 10 from here on out. The guy was remarkably consistent last year. Out of his 14 healthy games, he only had one game with 3 receptions and one game with 2 receptions. He also had zero games with 100 yards.

Users who are viewing this thread