What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

⚽ Soccer Match-day Thread (2 Viewers)

Copa Libertadores 2nd leg was Suspended today - after attack on Boca team bus.

There was a lot of back and forth - with a lot of officials wanting to push forward with the match today.

I am not sure when it will be played now - early rumors were tomorrow behind closed doors.

Translated - but looks like it will be played tomorrow - but with the fans:

Alejandro Domínguez, head of the South American Confederation, acted as spokesman. The meeting, as reported, will be held tomorrow, with public

Translated - but looks like it will be played tomorrow - but with the fans:

Alejandro Domínguez, head of the South American Confederation, acted as spokesman. The meeting, as reported, will be held tomorrow, with public
This seems like a great solution.  I'm sure by tomorrow, everyone will be totally chill about this game and will be happy just hanging out at home watching with friends and family in a relaxed, friendly and respectful environment.

live coverage from the Monumental - #### still going down it seems: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-1xif50QMr4&feature=youtu.be

:lol:

Right now, the Boca Juniors players do not have a bus to leave the stadium and it is unknown how the players will get out of the stadium.

:oldunsure:

CONMEBOL.comVerifiedaccount @ CONMEBOL9m 9 minutes ago

The President and the Council of CONMEBOL decided on Sunday morning the postponement of the second leg of the final of CONMEBOL Libertadores 2018 with the aim of preserving sport equality.

The new date of the final will be analyzed and decided in a meeting in Asunción on Tuesday 27 at 10 in the morning with the presidents of the finalist clubs, Boca Juniors and River Plate.

Great stat:

Chesterfield FC have not won in the league in 18 matches, but have drawn their last 8. This means they are simultaneously on their worst winless record ever and their best unbeaten run for 12 years.

Barca gets the draw they played for
She seemed that way. Although, after getting exposed by Betis, they needed to tighten up (plus no Rakatic).  I thought Atlético did enough to earn the 3 points, but missing key defenders was just too much to hold Barça back all 90. 

This one felt a bit like an opening leg if a CL knockout round, where neither team felt like they needed to go for it. Those 2 points may be crucial for either team at the end.

I am rather pleased that Rodri has stepped into that central midfield role that Gabi vacated. That was the hope on his return. A player that had to leave the Atletico academy to earn his stripes and a chance to return. That part of his formative years will leave a permanent chip on his shoulder, just like it did for Gabi. The latter never got the international attention he deserved, but there was never a more perfect lieutenant on the pitch for Simeone than Gabi. Rodri is showing a lot of the same grit, and might have more technical upside.

Dude frustrates the crap out of me but he picked a great time to finally finish one.
Funny. I love his game. An alpha player who could score 15-20 goals a season if he played as a forward every game. Yet he doesnt complain coming off the bench. His pace is second to none in the league. Crossing is excellent. And work rate is superb.

@bentley I'm getting tacos at Trudy's and then a show at Contenital and drinks at Camino. Where you at? 
Haha! That sounds like a hell of an evening. Continental Club is still my favorite place to see a show and the most authentic “old Austin” place left.

Have fun and let me know a little earlier if you end up back in town. I’ll put some of these Precourt bucks that we are allegedly getting paid in to show you a good time.

RBs were a disaster in the first half. It was like they'd never played on turf before- the MF especially was clanging every touch and misreading the pace of every pass. And sat back so deep, like a 4-5-1, but with their usual press. That left side of lade and royer were getting torched over and over. No idea what was going on there for the RBs. Full credit to ATL- on the front foot all game and aside from the called back goal...which I'm still unsure what happened ... really comfortable defending. First time I've seen that RB MF manhandled like that. Davis was dreadful. Fantastic crowd too- really deserved it today. Hoping there's a sellout for the return leg, but I'm not counting on it.

bentley said:
Haha! That sounds like a hell of an evening. Continental Club is still my favorite place to see a show and the most authentic “old Austin” place left.

Have fun and let me know a little earlier if you end up back in town. I’ll put some of these Precourt bucks that we are allegedly getting paid in to show you a good time.
I liked your city a lot. Last time I was there. It was August. I love your city now. It's November. 

Native said:
Funny. I love his game. An alpha player who could score 15-20 goals a season if he played as a forward every game. Yet he doesnt complain coming off the bench. His pace is second to none in the league. Crossing is excellent. And work rate is superb.
I’ll give you the work rate and speed but he constantly frustrates me because his first touch is typically bad and his decision making always seems off to me.  Always in a different page than his teammates - most of his goals are cannons or he just uses his pace - which isn’t a bad problem for sure. He just doesn’t link up well IMO.  But he’s a fantastic super-sub to have because he can do what he did last night and can change a game with his pace, especially against tired legs.  

I’ll give you the work rate and speed but he constantly frustrates me because his first touch is typically bad and his decision making always seems off to me.  Always in a different page than his teammates - most of his goals are cannons or he just uses his pace - which isn’t a bad problem for sure. He just doesn’t link up well IMO.  But he’s a fantastic super-sub to have because he can do what he did last night and can change a game with his pace, especially against tired legs.  
You could even argue he is the best sub in the entire league.  That is an incredible tool to have that almost no MLS teams have access to.

As a side note, I don't think enough credit is given to Gressel.  The guy comes from college, makes peanuts and is one of the most important players on that team.  His low salary as a starter allows for so much flexibility in the salary cap to keep the rest of the team strong.   

You could even argue he is the best sub in the entire league.  That is an incredible tool to have that almost no MLS teams have access to.

As a side note, I don't think enough credit is given to Gressel.  The guy comes from college, makes peanuts and is one of the most important players on that team.  His low salary as a starter allows for so much flexibility in the salary cap to keep the rest of the team strong.   
totally agree- the guy's always involved on both sides of the ball. 

reminds me of RB and neighborhood legend, Muyl... although I have no idea what he's making or if he even went to college (I don't think he did).

totally agree- the guy's always involved on both sides of the ball. 

reminds me of RB and neighborhood legend, Muyl... although I have no idea what he's making or if he even went to college (I don't think he did).
that is a good analogy.  Muyl did play at Georgetown for a few years and makes just a tiny bit more than Gressel does and both are very low paid players in comparison to the vast majority of regular MLS starters.

Last edited by a moderator:
that is a good analogy.  Muyl did play at Georgetown for a few years and makes just a tiny bit more than Gressel does and both are very low paid players in comparison to the vast majority of regular MLS starters.
I haven't looked at this years wages chart- but RBs have been operating on the lower end of the league last I saw.

LOVE Gressel :wub:

Honestly, the side is loaded.  When you have Barco and Villaba coming off the bench and can replace Josef and Almiron and still be dangerous in attach it says something to the attacking depth.  We are old, slow and not very deep in defense but Jeff and Parkhurst are wily vets who know how to do a job. 

And you know who I felt has been one of the most important players this season that almost nobody mentions?  Nagbe - he's terrific at times and solid almost always.  he gets possession, does a good job keeping it and keeps the attacking flowing.  I felt like when he was out injured we weren't as potent (I don't have the stats to back that up - just a feeling). 

I think a lot of the fans are worried about Almiron being sold - personally I'm happy to sell him (both for the money and so he gets a well-deserved shot at a bigger stage) - I think we have enough to not slip too much.  I'm more concerned about replacing Tata - but I trust that ATL management will make a good decision in who to bring in to replace him.  Hopefully they can play well and close out the RB and then send Tata out with a cup final win.

Thanks Floppo! Good to be back. 

Fellani's tackle on Milivojevic on Saturday was just the latest in a long line of ridiculously reckless challenges. I don't understand how he is still allowed to make a living doing this. 

https://youtu.be/SCPyKbpwKLQ?t=103
I am not one to defend the ex-Fro, but the tackle in the link looked accidental.  Fellaini goes to pass the ball, Mil blocks it and then gets stepped on in the follow thru. Ball bounced off both players twice.  Didn't look like his normal maliciousness.

I agree with your statements about Fellaini and his career,  just not sure this is the one to use as backup.  

As for the disappointing game, I left when Jose put in Fellaini.  Game was bad enough with Lingard, Young and Matic, couldn't stand to watch Fellaini come in.  
United's problem, aside from Jose, is they have no right sided player.  No Mahrez or Willian.  Mata is all over the field (as a good #10 would be), Lingard doesn't know where to go, so essentially you have an overload on the left leaving the right defender to play the attacking role up the right.  Usually its Young who gets forward and screws up the cross.  This weekend it was Darmien who gets forward and has no idea how to attack, pass or cross.  So either way its a black hole.  Add the immobility of Matic and throw in Fellaini and you have no movement or creativity.  Its a disaster.

I think a lot of the fans are worried about Almiron being sold - personally I'm happy to sell him (both for the money and so he gets a well-deserved shot at a bigger stage) - I think we have enough to not slip too much.  I'm more concerned about replacing Tata - but I trust that ATL management will make a good decision in who to bring in to replace him.  Hopefully they can play well and close out the RB and then send Tata out with a cup final win.
I agree Tata is a big loss.  Not so much for his coaching but for his recruiting.   Every interview done with the South American players on Atlanta all mention how they were first drawn to Atlanta because of Tata.

The next coach will be really important to keep building on the fantastic foundation Tata helped put in place.

I agree Tata is a big loss.  Not so much for his coaching but for his recruiting.   Every interview done with the South American players on Atlanta all mention how they were first drawn to Atlanta because of Tata.

The next coach will be really important to keep building on the fantastic foundation Tata helped put in place.
Yep - those guys revere him.  I wonder if he had an agreement with ATL management that he would just be around 2 years to get this thing off the ground.  No matter what happens in the next 1 or 2 games it was a resounding success so no complaints from me if he wants a new challenge or a bigger club/national team to take over.

Yep - those guys revere him.  I wonder if he had an agreement with ATL management that he would just be around 2 years to get this thing off the ground.  No matter what happens in the next 1 or 2 games it was a resounding success so no complaints from me if he wants a new challenge or a bigger club/national team to take over.
I think Boca himself said when they signed him they knew it was only going to be for 2 years but that they hoped they could convince him to stay longer when the time came.  He only signed for 2 years back in 2016.

If you look at his coaching career, he has severe wanderlust as he never stays any where for very long.

I kind of wish he was not going to Mexico though to be honest.  They are loaded with young attacking talent that I think Tata is going to get a lot out of.

LOVE Gressel :wub:

Honestly, the side is loaded.  When you have Barco and Villaba coming off the bench and can replace Josef and Almiron and still be dangerous in attach it says something to the attacking depth.  We are old, slow and not very deep in defense but Jeff and Parkhurst are wily vets who know how to do a job. 

And you know who I felt has been one of the most important players this season that almost nobody mentions?  Nagbe - he's terrific at times and solid almost always.  he gets possession, does a good job keeping it and keeps the attacking flowing.  I felt like when he was out injured we weren't as potent (I don't have the stats to back that up - just a feeling). 

good call on Nagbe- he was great last night. good to hear he's been integral to the team's success- I'm still a big fan and hope the US can figure out how to use him. they need a player like him.

good call on Nagbe- he was great last night. good to hear he's been integral to the team's success- I'm still a big fan and hope the US can figure out how to use him. they need a player like him.
Almiron and Josef get all the press (and deservedly so) but Gressel and Nagbe have both been great.  I'm just glad he's back and healthy - and I agree, he had a really good game last night.  I'm interested to see how much Tata changes for Thursday - MO is he should start the same 11 and just have Jeff sit deeper to have 3 CBs and see how the first half plays out.  I wouldn't make the same mistake Armas made and play too defensive.  Absorbing tons of pressure isn't how we play even if the lineup was setup for it.  RBs will come out full blast so they'll have to be ready to hit on the counter.

Users who are viewing this thread