The worst crutch arguments courtesy of Harris Football Podcast:
- This coach has always had good TEs / This guy had XX catches with this team last year, imagine what this new player will do. Blount had a ton of TDs last year; draft Gillislee accordingly. Situations are a factor but not more important than actual talent and capability.
- I like this player because he's coming off a bye & the coaching staff has been planning for it. We have no idea what's going on during the bye week. It's not a valid data point.
- Calling it the National Football League instead of the NFL. The FF Expert echo chamber loves this one. Extra syllables doesn't make you sound smarter.
- He's going cross country / across the pond. West coast teams going east have a winning record for the last several seasons. Have you ever been on a business trip?
- He'll show up for the national tv game. This is like trying to condense #6 or #7 into a single game. Is that why Amari Cooper broke out against the Chiefs?
- He's in a contract year. Did he stop trying hard in OTAs because he got paid? Keenan Allen will stop getting hurt because he got paid? There's no data supporting this.
- It's a Revenge game for him. You mean like ADP versus the Vikings Week 1? Trying to divine personal motivation is a dart throw.
- Wait on Drafting a Quarterback - drafts are fluid, you draft on value. Positional drafting is weak. Wait for Rivers or Stafford because...wat?
- The Quarterback Position/The Running Back Position - many, many words. The best words. Do you eat Pizza Food?
- Always Start Your Studs (5b - know who your studs are; Gurley is a stud, Lamar Miller is not) - we're in Week 9, if you're gonna be sad, be sad with the guy you actually want to start.