What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

100K for 30 days of complete darkness? (1 Viewer)

Sorry, yes, I would do it.  Give me some dumbbells to workout with and an acoustic guitar and I would survive it.
Acoustic guitar is a great idea.

This is the type of thing I usually say "absolutely!"  Not so sure about this one.  The fear of losing the $100K might be enough for me to stick it out.

To win $100,000, pro poker player Rich Alati doesn’t have to go all-in, he just can’t come out of a dark bathroom for 30 days.

Alati made the $100k bet with Australian pro Rory Young after the two were talking at a table about how long it was possible to remain in a dark room with no human interaction.

Surprisingly, Alati stated that he could stay in the dark room – with facilities and food – for 30 days. Young then bet him $100k that he couldn’t.

On November 21, Alati entered the room in an “undisclosed location somewhere in Las Vegas” on November 21 and he is still inside, according to PocketFives.

In the room, Alati has a toilet, shower, refrigerator, and a bed as well as supplies like sliced fruit, almond milk, cereal, and Pop Tarts. He is also getting meals delivered to him, but not on a regular basis so his sense of time is altered.

“The conditions are complete darkness, so no electronics, no light-emitting devices, no drugs of any kind,” said Young. “He is allowed any type of food that he wants. He has a bed in there, he has a shower and a bathtub. He has pretty lavish toiletries like Epsom salts, sugar scrubs, that kind of stuff.”

On a private feed which is accessible to Alati’s family, friends, and a few others, a broadcast of the room which is being captured by five night-vision cameras is streaming the entire bet.

Young and Alati are hopeful to turn it into a reality show if there is enough interest.

“I’m a firm believer in that there are two consenting adults and if it doesn’t do any harm to a third party, then it’s morally justifiable,” said Young. “I don’t have any hangups about the ethical side of this. I think it’s different if it was a freeroll. I think I can have some ethical concerns there. I have a bit of concern for his eyesight, but we’re taking all of the necessary conditions.”

According to Young, another pro player has already contacted him about doing a similar version of the challenge, but stricter, for $1 million.

http://www.realclearlife.com/sports/a-pro-poker-player-is-staying-in-a-dark-bathroom-for-30-days-on-a-100k-bet/
So, if this is happening, it can't be complete darkness, unless by "night-vision" you really mean thermal imaging and not just an amplification of minimal light conditions.

I guess you could get a decent idea of the passage of time by counting your meals and bowel movements.  Certainly huge margins for error but maybe within a week or so by the end.
I recall a study, probably from about 15 years ago, that locked a guy up in isolation for a weekend (Friday night through Monday morning).  This wasn't in darkness, just completely cut off from anything from the outside that might give him a sense of time.  They would randomly ask him to report the day and time.  By the end of the weekend, he was more than a full day off.  The human internal clock sucks.

So I mean we’re nearly halfway through if he went in on the 21st.  If he’s still in there, I’d expect him to make it. 

So I mean we’re nearly halfway through if he went in on the 21st.  If he’s still in there, I’d expect him to make it. 
1/3 of the way.  Today is day 11 of 30

Not so sure the first week wouldn’t be the easiest.

Last edited by a moderator:
Can't jack off unless you want your friends and family watching you. Plus it would ruin any kind of basic cable reality show possibilities.
Looks like he can wank to his heart’s content.

There are five night-vision cameras broadcasting around the clock and the only privacy Alati gets is when he’s in the shower or the toilet cubicle.

Interesting extrapolation: for $3,333.33 per day, with no defined end date, how long could you stay in these conditions?

Interesting extrapolation: for $3,333.33 per day, with no defined end date, how long could you stay in these conditions?
That would be interesting. You give up when you can't take it anymore thinking you've been in there for a good long time and then find out it was only like 8 or 9 days. Seems a bit pointless then.

That would be interesting. You give up when you can't take it anymore thinking you've been in there for a good long time and then find out it was only like 8 or 9 days. Seems a bit pointless then.
Or only whoever stays in the longest gets to keep the money he/she earned. 

God, I miss Solitary.  Great show. 

What will you do with the other 23:59:30 of your day?
You haven't seen a recent pic but I may need a few hours each day (at least) to get ripped.  I figure 10-12 hours sleeping each day, maybe more, 4-6 hours working out.  An hour to eat.  Regale myself of my previous sexual conquests each day - 2 minutes should do it.  That leaves me only 5 hours and 58 minutes to entertain myself in the dark each day.  Piece of cake!

You haven't seen a recent pic but I may need a few hours each day (at least) to get ripped.  I figure 10-12 hours sleeping each day, maybe more, 4-6 hours working out.  An hour to eat.  Regale myself of my previous sexual conquests each day - 2 minutes should do it.  That leaves me only 5 hours and 58 minutes to entertain myself in the dark each day.  Piece of cake!
4 - 6 hours of working out per day, in the darkness with no equipment, music or any stimuli?  Good luck with that.  Most people have a horrible internal clock your 4-6 hour workout would likely be 1 maybe 2 hours tops.  One can only do so many burpees, pushups, situps etc...

4 - 6 hours of working out per day, in the darkness with no equipment, music or any stimuli?  Good luck with that.  Most people have a horrible internal clock your 4-6 hour workout would likely be 1 maybe 2 hours tops.  One can only do so many burpees, pushups, situps etc...
While that was somewhat tongue in cheek you could somewhat easily roughly estimate your workout time based on the amount of time it takes to do the activity.  Do 10,000 jumping jacks, as many crunches as you can, whatever.  My somewhat serious point is IF I attempted it I would try and make sure I spent as much time as I could working out because I think it will make the task easier - it will help pass time, its good for you mentally, you would get the overall benefit of working out and it would fatigue you which would hopefully lead to more sleep which would pass even more time.  Additionally, I would ask if I could take melatonin with me and would consult a doctor on how much I could safely take over a month.  20 mg of melatonin and I sleep a lot. 

AAABatteries said:
Sweet Jesus - you'd have to pay me 1M or more to listen to that #### for 30 days. 
No Buck and Kinkaide for you?

I like talk radio and sports talk even, I just hate ATL sports talk. I originally was thinking podcasts and books on tape when I posted. Something just to not be living with your own thoughts. 

No Buck and Kinkaide for you?

I like talk radio and sports talk even, I just hate ATL sports talk. I originally was thinking podcasts and books on tape when I posted. Something just to not be living with your own thoughts. 
:doh:   for some reason my mind went to political talk radio.  I almost never listen to sports talk any more - podcasts and streaming are just superior but I agree that 30 days of sports talk would help pass the time.  Would love to hear them moaning about UGA.

:doh:   for some reason my mind went to political talk radio.  I almost never listen to sports talk any more - podcasts and streaming are just superior but I agree that 30 days of sports talk would help pass the time.  Would love to hear them moaning about UGA.
I don’t do political radio - I don’t have time for the pandering.  I definitely tuned in this week to Buck and Kinkaide for the first time in awhile just to hear the whining. The only actual show I would ever listen to on it’s own is Chuck and Chernoff, but I primarily just stick to my podcast list. 

Im pretty sure hardcore history is long enough to get you to week 3 all by itself. 

I don’t know if this is a spoiler so stop reading if you like. I would have thought a reasonable negotiated amount would have been $100000*(20/30) or maybe using the multiplier (19/30) since he had completed 19 days and was currently in day 20. Plus they settled on a lower number even though he seemed to be on cruise control and looked to nab the full amount next week. That’s odd. Good for Aleti, though. Strong showing assuming he’s not blind or screwed up now.

I don’t know if this is a spoiler so stop reading if you like. I would have thought a reasonable negotiated amount would have been $100000*(20/30) or maybe using the multiplier (19/30) since he had completed 19 days and was currently in day 20. Plus they settled on a lower number even though he seemed to be on cruise control and looked to nab the full amount next week. That’s odd. Good for Aleti, though. Strong showing assuming he’s not blind or screwed up now.
:confused:   19/30 is 63,333 and the layout was 62,400 - sounds like they probably did take the actual hours he was in there in to account or at least pretty close to it.  Or am I not understanding your point?

:confused:   19/30 is 63,333 and the layout was 62,400 - sounds like they probably did take the actual hours he was in there in to account or at least pretty close to it.  Or am I not understanding your point?
My point is that he should have received 63333 at minimum and more likely closer to 66666. Dude won the bet but lost the negotiated settlement.

My point is that he should have received 63333 at minimum and more likely closer to 66666. Dude won the bet but lost the negotiated settlement.
I was just assuming he took a little less because of the difficulty of 10 more days.  Gamblers make crazy bets so a slightly off payout doesn’t completely surprise me but that’s not a group or circle I’m familiar with so maybe it is unusual.   :shrug:  

Who was first to suggest the early settlement?  If it was darkman I would think you'd start negotiations at less than the actual time value.

So I doubt he was on "cruise control" if he was so willing to take a settlement.  The last 10 days would've been the most difficult.

Who was first to suggest the early settlement?  If it was darkman I would think you'd start negotiations at less than the actual time value.
Young approached Alati, who was the one in solitary confinement, with a settlement proposal.

Probably didn't want to be responsible for screwing Alati up mentally.
Nope:

As time passed by, the odds appeared to shift into Alati's favor, at least in Young's eyes. After Young noticed Alati was in good spirits after delivering food twenty days into the bet, he decided to negotiate a buyout to further hedge his potential losses.

Nope:

As time passed by, the odds appeared to shift into Alati's favor, at least in Young's eyes. After Young noticed Alati was in good spirits after delivering food twenty days into the bet, he decided to negotiate a buyout to further hedge his potential losses.
I disagree.  The last week is when Alati would start to lose his mine.  What's another $35K to Young?  I'm guessing he was either pressured from Alati's family to end it or his conscious was bothering him and this was a way to save face for everyone. 

I disagree.  The last week is when Alati would start to lose his mine.  What's another $35K to Young?  I'm guessing he was either pressured from Alati's family to end it or his conscious was bothering him and this was a way to save face for everyone. 
But do we really think there's much of a difference between 20 and 30 days?  I'm not questioning whether there's side affects but is it exponential - I'm guessing they don't have enough scientific studies to really say due to not wanting to hurt the participants.

Users who are viewing this thread