What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

12 Sophomore RB's (1 Viewer)

Ducegonads

Footballguy
Guys like Larry Johnson, Lamont Jordan, Rudi Johnson, FWP, DeShaun Foster and Shaun Alexander as a few examples. All who became starting RB's after waiting for their shot. Does the RB class of 2005 hold the next big thing? What sophomore RB's go on to become the man?

1. Ronnie Brown - Miami will run the ball, pass the ball, much better in 2006.

2. Caddy - Easy pick. Showed alot year one and still has Gruden gushing.

3. Cedric Houston - Showed late season flashes on an awful team. CM, tick tock.

4. Brandon Jacobs - TD vulture. SIZE and speed. Split's 75/25 with Tiki for now.

5. Marion Barber III - 5 TD's in 138 att. Added 18 receptions. JJ 50% MB 50%?

6. Frank Gore - Finally get rid of the repeated Barlow hype. 613yds in limited duty.

7. Ryan Moats - Westbrook has the job when healthy. Moats will get his chance.

8. Alvin Pearman - Taylor is down to his final year. Can catch the ball and run.

9. Cedric Benson - Still can't get past the crying. Called out TJ and truly fell short.

10. Ciatrick Fason - Too many RB's in Viking land. Never really had a shot.

11. JJ Arrington - EDGE, EDGE, EDGE. Has a chance to learn from a winner.

12. Vernand Morency - DD has had some injuries. New coach new system.

Guys like Larry Johnson, Lamont Jordan, Rudi Johnson, FWP, DeShaun Foster and Shaun Alexander as a few examples. All who became starting RB's after waiting for their shot. Does the RB class of 2005 hold the next big thing? What sophomore RB's go on to become the man?

4. Brandon Jacobs - TD vulture. SIZE and speed. Split's 75/25 with Tiki for now.

6. Frank Gore - Finally get rid of the repeated Barlow hype. 613yds in limited duty.

8. Alvin Pearman - Taylor is down to his final year. Can catch the ball and run.

9. Cedric Benson - Still can't get past the crying. Called out TJ and truly fell short.

:unsure: I like Houston, but can't shake the idea that the Texans and jets swap 1sts.

Benson @ 1.09 :eek:

:unsure: I like Houston, but can't shake the idea that the Texans and jets swap 1sts.

If you had to pick a bust I think he could be on the radar. Arrington is an easy pick but what has this guy done? I know, he was injuried. Lovie stuck by TJ all season long and he said on more than one occasion, TJ's is our starter. Who know's but the post draft interview with CB was a flood of tears and emotion. Scary thing is that he came off as an emotional mess with limited intelligence. Anyone know the wonderlic score for CB?

If you had to pick a bust I think he could be on the radar. Arrington is an easy pick but what has this guy done? I know, he was injuried. Lovie stuck by TJ all season long and he said on more than one occasion, TJ's is our starter. Who know's but the post draft interview with CB was a flood of tears and emotion. Scary thing is that he came off as an emotional mess with limited intelligence. Anyone know the wonderlic score for CB?
Even if all of that is true, there is no basis for ranking Benson behind Jacobs, Moats and Pearman. None.

Houston has a chance IF the JETs don't grab somebody else like Reggie Bush.

Benson will have that job sooner rather than later

R Brown should carry the mail this season once PUFF Williams gets suspended

Caddy already is the man

Pearman showed some flashes but most likely fumbled his way to the 3rd down back role

Moats ???? hard to say

Morency is looking like a bust if HOU grabs Bush with the 1st pick

Barber could be the man outright but at a minimum once JJ goes down with injury

Even if all of that is true, there is no basis for ranking Benson behind Jacobs, Moats and Pearman. None.
If he is a bust then there is. :yes: Moats had more yds on less attempts + more TD's, Pearman had far and away more receiving yds & receptions at 32 to 1! Though early, Benson looks like he will see very few throws coming his way. Jacobs is a stud prospect at RB. IMHO. He looked very raw last year and should be a better "runner" this year, not just a bulldozer. 7 td's last year with little yardage could forcast him as him a career GL back but he has speed for a guy that big. All 4 guys had to play behind some RB talent. Westbrook, Taylor, Barber & Jones. So we could be waiting a while to find out who makes it and who doesn't.

If he is a bust then there is. :yes: Moats had more yds on less attempts + more TD's, Pearman had far and away more receiving yds & receptions at 32 to 1! Though early, Benson looks like he will see very few throws coming his way. Jacobs is a stud prospect at RB. IMHO. He looked very raw last year and should be a better "runner" this year, not just a bulldozer. 7 td's last year with little yardage could forcast him as him a career GL back but he has speed for a guy that big. All 4 guys had to play behind some RB talent. Westbrook, Taylor, Barber & Jones. So we could be waiting a while to find out who makes it and who doesn't.
On Benson, just keep in mind a whole lot of people were calling Larry Johnson a bust before he got his shot. Just my opinion, but I see Benson as the better overall talent. Granted, pure talent does not = NFL success, but it's way too early to consider CB a bust.
Morency is looking like a bust if HOU grabs Bush with the 1st pick
I see what you're saying, but they have this cool thing in the NFL called Free Agency... ;) (Kidding, but either Morency or Dom will move at some not so distant time if Bush is a Texan)

On Benson, just keep in mind a whole lot of people were calling Larry Johnson a bust before he got his shot. Just my opinion, but I see Benson as the better overall talent. Granted, pure talent does not = NFL success, but it's way too early to consider CB a bust.
Agreed. Benson has talent and has yet to use it. ;) Sooooo....... T.Jones = P.Holmes? :confused:

C.Benson = L. Johnson :popcorn:

It would be worth the wait.

Morency a bust..........PLEASE..

Where are the real texans fans at...Will someone tell this cat that Morency is the best rb on the texans right now...(skill-wise) Its not even close....Yeah DD put up good #'s, so did Morency when given a chance and Wells but just looking at them Morency has that burst when given the ball as well as a low center of gravity when running....But he was a rookie and seemed like it...Sometimes he was in a rush to hit the outside...always trying to bounce outside wont work in the nfl like that....He needs more experience but from a pure rb standpoint people will know he has the talents.....

DD is a hardworker and has heart out of this world......skill wise he is not too fast if any fast, he has a helleva leg drive...(doesnt go down easy) and can catch the ball very nice for a rb....really he is a 3rd down back that seized the opportunity with the others failing....were the texans happy with him....ummm they drafted T.Hollins and forfeited a 2nd round pick for him....A 2nd ROUNDER for crying out sake...they they drafted Mr. Morency last year who had a bad combine running a 4.6 but he was recovering, and trust me he is faster than that....more like a 4.48 to 4.55 type speed....awesome burst though..... Hard work somethimes pays off in Davis case but skill wise he is nothig special....Most people will say im crazy when i say Morency is the best rb on the texans right now but i guess you have to watch all of training camp/preseason and all the games to get where i am coming from....I think Davis is expendable....for what who knows....Wells will be gone as well....I see Morency/Bush having a nice future with the texans.....

No way is he a bust...really.....

DD is a hardworker and has heart out of this world......skill wise he is not too fast if any fast, he has a helleva leg drive...(doesnt go down easy) and can catch the ball very nice for a rb....really he is a 3rd down back that seized the opportunity with the others failing....were the texans happy with him....ummm they drafted T.Hollins and forfeited a 2nd round pick for him....A 2nd ROUNDER for crying out sake...they they drafted Mr. Morency last year who had a bad combine running a 4.6 but he was recovering, and trust me he is faster than that....more like a 4.48 to 4.55 type speed....awesome burst though..... Hard work somethimes pays off in Davis case but skill wise he is nothig special....Most people will say im crazy when i say Morency is the best rb on the texans right now but i guess you have to watch all of training camp/preseason and all the games to get where i am coming from....I think Davis is expendable....for what who knows....Wells will be gone as well....I see Morency/Bush having a nice future with the texans.....

I appreciate the local insights we sometimes get on these boards - things you won't read or see on tv otherwise, but I am curious as to what you think his fantasy value is? Does he pick up pass protection well? (Considering the pass protection woes last year, I imagine that was a big factor in who saw the field). I noticed you have guys like willie green and fason on your dynasty roster but no maroney?? Is it a houston based fantasy leauge & maroney is already on another squad? on another note, i recall reading a lot about eric shelton (carolina) last year & how he was the heir apparent to davis & got a lot of goal line carries in practice etc & noticed he isn't on the master list that started this thread. If he has a decent shot at the starting job (assuming they dont draft rb) when the fragile one (foster) goes down again this year, i'd bump him above a few of the sophomores on that list.

Pearman? too many rb's on that roster. I tend to think Jones has that starting role locked down if/when Taylor gets hurt again..

Benson should give TJ a run for his money in training camp this year..

Jacobs I don't ever see as being THE man in NY...a role player/goalline TD guy , yes..he's going to fill that Stacey Mack role for Coughlin..

Where are the real texans fans at...Will someone tell this cat that Morency is the best rb on the texans right now...(skill-wise) Its not even close....Yeah DD put up good #'s, so did Morency when given a chance and Wells but just looking at them Morency has that burst when given the ball as well as a low center of gravity when running....But he was a rookie and seemed like it...Sometimes he was in a rush to hit the outside...always trying to bounce outside wont work in the nfl like that....He needs more experience but from a pure rb standpoint people will know he has the talents.....

:fishing: And considering you list Bush in your sig with a bunch of asterisks around him I can see why you are throwing this crap out. You know that if the Texans grab Bush and they still have DD that DD is going to keep your hero Bush relegated to RBBC duties if not second fiddle duties for a while. Bush is going to get into the Texans lineup and find out that the great "vision" everyone has been talking about is hard to equate to the pro level when there is a hole the size of a dixie cup to run through rather than those hallways the USC line opened up for him.

If you think that Bush is the second coming of Barry Sanders, then you are going to be very disappointed if he gets drafted by the Texans. With no line he is going to look more like Rashaan Salaam than Marshall Faulk.

Last edited by a moderator:

If Gado was considered a true rookie last year, he deserves to be in the top 5.

:fishing: And considering you list Bush in your sig with a bunch of asterisks around him I can see why you are throwing this crap out. You know that if the Texans grab Bush and they still have DD that DD is going to keep your hero Bush relegated to RBBC duties if not second fiddle duties for a while. Bush is going to get into the Texans lineup and find out that the great "vision" everyone has been talking about is hard to equate to the pro level when there is a hole the size of a dixie cup to run through rather than those hallways the USC line opened up for him.

If you think that Bush is the second coming of Barry Sanders, then you are going to be very disappointed if he gets drafted by the Texans. With no line he is going to look more like Rashaan Salaam than Marshall Faulk.
:violin: No running line eh? Yeah we know you dont really follow the Texans...If a average rb like DD can post over 4500yds in the last 3 years why is it so worst as you make it? How about last year when even our big boy J.Wells ran well behind the line as well....Not to mention the rook Morency also looked awesome behind the line....

Add in Flanagin Kubiak / M.SHerman (used to be an O-line coach) plus whatever they get in this draft and if you dont think it will better then obviously you just talking from out the side of your head... :unsure: If you follow the texans you know they have a above average run line...Pass protection is awhole nother issue which i think they will work on this year....through coaching and add a few more players.

And as far BUsh goes...i doubt he be worried about any rb thats on any team he lands on...yeah im sure DD would make him worry :lmao: Yup domaick is talented enough to get rafted 1st overall over top OL and DL and franchise qb's....yeah im sure Bush is worried...please.........if anything DD when get in when Bush wants to take a break... This is not to bash DD but thats comparing a ford focus to lamborgini......

take it FWIW.

3. Houston certainly has some value but his situation is far from ideal. CM and Blaylock are still on the team and the Jets could come away from the draft with a high pick at RB.

5. MBIII. I think his upside is tremendous. A very complete back whom when healthy adds a dynamic to the Cowboys that JJ lacks.

7. Moats will get a chance to build on his success from last year but I think he is still a year or two away from an opportunity to start. Still high value though.

10 Fason has a tough row to hoe. His value has dropped since last year this time and I dont see his stock rising anytime soon.

Excluding Brown, Benson and Williams, whom on this list (including Gado) would you give up a middle 1st round rookie pick for? i.e. 1.6 or there abouts in a 12 team dynasty.

For me, Id give it up for MBIII and Gore.

3. Houston certainly has some value but his situation is far from ideal. CM and Blaylock are still on the team and the Jets could come away from the draft with a high pick at RB.

5. MBIII. I think his upside is tremendous. A very complete back whom when healthy adds a dynamic to the Cowboys that JJ lacks.

7. Moats will get a chance to build on his success from last year but I think he is still a year or two away from an opportunity to start. Still high value though.

10 Fason has a tough row to hoe. His value has dropped since last year this time and I dont see his stock rising anytime soon.

Excluding Brown, Benson and Williams, whom on this list (including Gado) would you give up a middle 1st round rookie pick for? i.e. 1.6 or there abouts in a 12 team dynasty.

For me, Id give it up for MBIII and Gore.
Finally an answer to who could be the next big thing. MB III and Gore are nice picks. Do that many people feel that strongly about Gado?

:violin: No running line eh? Yeah we know you dont really follow the Texans...If a average rb like DD can post over 4500yds in the last 3 years why is it so worst as you make it? How about last year when even our big boy J.Wells ran well behind the line as well....Not to mention the rook Morency also looked awesome behind the line....

Add in Flanagin Kubiak / M.SHerman (used to be an O-line coach) plus whatever they get in this draft and if you dont think it will better then obviously you just talking from out the side of your head... :unsure: If you follow the texans you know they have a above average run line...Pass protection is awhole nother issue which i think they will work on this year....through coaching and add a few more players.

And as far BUsh goes...i doubt he be worried about any rb thats on any team he lands on...yeah im sure DD would make him worry :lmao: Yup domaick is talented enough to get rafted 1st overall over top OL and DL and franchise qb's....yeah im sure Bush is worried...please.........if anything DD when get in when Bush wants to take a break... This is not to bash DD but thats comparing a ford focus to lamborgini......

take it FWIW.
:own3d: Nice ownage.

No running line eh? Yeah we know you dont really follow the Texans...If a average rb like DD can post over 4500yds in the last 3 years why is it so worst as you make it? How about last year when even our big boy J.Wells ran well behind the line as well....Not to mention the rook Morency also looked awesome behind the line....
DD's YPC was something like 4.0 or less for his entire career. Getting 4500 yards is not a big deal when you have over 1100 attempts. Completely flawed logic there. And you say I don't follow the Texans? Wells had a 3.6 TPC last season behind the same line. :eek: Maybe if you watched the games rather than dog DD you would see that Wells' 3.6 yards per carry were a full half yard lower than DD's 4.2 :excited: Morency's YPC was 4.0. Again lower than DD's.

Did you say something about me talking out of the side of my head? What does that mean anyway?

Flanigan is a nice pick up but a little long in the tooth (33 and hasn't played a full season since 2003), still I like the pick up. As far as Kubiak and Sherman go, last I checked they don't block anyone. They have a huge mess to clean up on that O-Line and Flanigan, a decent rookie (I say Decent because Brick is going to be gone in this scenario so they will be in the 2nd round when they pick) and that hodgepodge of linemen on the roster now is not going to open holes like Reggie saw in College. Maybe towards the end of the year as the line gels and the young guys mature but even that's a long shot...

take it FWIW.
Getting drafted high doesn't mean anything. Ask Ryan Leaf. Getting drafted first overall doesn't mean squat either. Ask Tim Couch. Ask Ki'Jana Karter. Getting drafted late doesn't mean anything either. Ask Tom Brady. Terrell Davis and Curtis Martin. Or maybe Kurt Warner and Antonio Gates. This is your problem. You are annointing him to the pro-bowl (and probably beyond) based on hype and where he is presumed to be drafted. Uh, cart before the horse? He's still gotta put on the pads and carry the rock in the NFL. And if he does it behind that line he's going to get crushed. And if he can't block (something he didn't have to do much of at USC with that line and Lendale White) there is no way he's going to see the field a lot initially. And if he doesn't learn from Cedric Benson's mistake and hold out waiting on the $30 mill he wants and misses training camp he may not see the field till mid-season. That would a crushing blow to you and your dog and/or newborn son named Reggie, right?!?!

Now, where is that guy that says I got owned? He should probably edit that post.....

No running line eh? Yeah we know you dont really follow the Texans...If a average rb like DD can post over 4500yds in the last 3 years why is it so worst as you make it? How about last year when even our big boy J.Wells ran well behind the line as well....Not to mention the rook Morency also looked awesome behind the line....
DD's YPC was something like 4.0 or less for his entire career. Getting 4500 yards is not a big deal when you have over 1100 attempts. Completely flawed logic there. And you say I don't follow the Texans? Wells had a 3.6 TPC last season behind the same line. :eek: Maybe if you watched the games rather than dog DD you would see that Wells' 3.6 yards per carry were a full half yard lower than DD's 4.2 :excited: Morency's YPC was 4.0. Again lower than DD's.

Did you say something about me talking out of the side of my head? What does that mean anyway?

Flanigan is a nice pick up but a little long in the tooth (33 and hasn't played a full season since 2003), still I like the pick up. As far as Kubiak and Sherman go, last I checked they don't block anyone. They have a huge mess to clean up on that O-Line and Flanigan, a decent rookie (I say Decent because Brick is going to be gone in this scenario so they will be in the 2nd round when they pick) and that hodgepodge of linemen on the roster now is not going to open holes like Reggie saw in College. Maybe towards the end of the year as the line gels and the young guys mature but even that's a long shot...

take it FWIW.
Getting drafted high doesn't mean anything. Ask Ryan Leaf. Getting drafted first overall doesn't mean squat either. Ask Tim Couch. Ask Ki'Jana Karter. Getting drafted late doesn't mean anything either. Ask Tom Brady. Terrell Davis and Curtis Martin. Or maybe Kurt Warner and Antonio Gates. This is your problem. You are annointing him to the pro-bowl (and probably beyond) based on hype and where he is presumed to be drafted. Uh, cart before the horse? He's still gotta put on the pads and carry the rock in the NFL. And if he does it behind that line he's going to get crushed. And if he can't block (something he didn't have to do much of at USC with that line and Lendale White) there is no way he's going to see the field a lot initially. And if he doesn't learn from Cedric Benson's mistake and hold out waiting on the $30 mill he wants and misses training camp he may not see the field till mid-season. That would a crushing blow to you and your dog and/or newborn son named Reggie, right?!?!

Now, where is that guy that says I got owned? He should probably edit that post.....
:whistle:

Add in Flanagin Kubiak / M.SHerman (used to be an O-line coach) plus whatever they get in this draft and if you dont think it will better then obviously you just talking from out the side of your head... :unsure:   If you follow the texans you know they have a above average run line...Pass protection is awhole nother issue which i think they will work on this year....through coaching and add a few more players.
And as far BUsh goes...i doubt he be worried about any rb thats on any team he lands on...yeah im sure DD would make him worry  :lmao:   Yup domaick is talented enough to get rafted 1st overall over top OL and DL and franchise qb's....yeah im sure Bush is worried...please.........if anything DD when get in when Bush wants to take a break... This is not to bash DD but thats comparing a ford focus to lamborgini......

take it FWIW.

:own3d: :popcorn:

Gore :thumbup:

- Norv Turner is OC

- Close to 4.8 ypc in 05

- Some forget how much of a stud he was at UM before getting hurt

- Barlow sux (but so does SF :( )

- Norv Turner is OC

- Close to 4.8 ypc in 05

Norv has the rep of giving one guy the ball. Both guys have the injury bug tag. Could Maurice Hicks be a sleeper????

- Norv Turner is OC

- Close to 4.8 ypc in 05

If he can stay healthy.... right on!

It's not that some forget. It's that they never cared or bothered enough to look at that facts and circumstances of what got him to this point. Ignorance is bliss I suppose.

take it FWIW.

Good points but Bush is more talented than DD :2cents:

Just out of curiousity, I don't get why guys still do this?!Jacobs was not the primary backup to Tiki. In fact, had Tiki gotten hurt - Jacobs probably would have continued on with his 3rd down & short yardage role. Ward probably would have received most of the carries if Tiki got hurt.

Tiki - 357 carries

Jacobs - 38

That is not a 75/25 split. In fact, Jacobs did not even manage 10% of the teams rushes.

But I will agree with the TD vulture part. Jacobs had 7. Not too shabby given only 38 carries!!

Gore  :thumbup:

- Norv Turner is OC

- Close to 4.8 ypc in 05

Norv has the rep of giving one guy the ball. Both guys have the injury bug tag. Could Maurice Hicks be a sleeper????
:X We've been hearing about Maurice Hicks as the next big sleeper for a couple of years now. Hicks will never, never, never be a 25-carry back. Sure, he shows flashes in limited opportunities. Bt so does Heath Evans.

Move on.

- Norv Turner is OC

- Close to 4.8 ypc in 05

:X We've been hearing about Maurice Hicks as the next big sleeper for a couple of years now. Hicks will never, never, never be a 25-carry back. Sure, he shows flashes in limited opportunities. Bt so does Heath Evans.

Move on.
:goodposting:

Just out of curiousity, I don't get why guys still do this?!Jacobs was not the primary backup to Tiki. In fact, had Tiki gotten hurt - Jacobs probably would have continued on with his 3rd down & short yardage role. Ward probably would have received most of the carries if Tiki got hurt.

Tiki - 357 carries

Jacobs - 38

That is not a 75/25 split. In fact, Jacobs did not even manage 10% of the teams rushes.

But I will agree with the TD vulture part. Jacobs had 7. Not too shabby given only 38 carries!!
I'm going with the idea that Tiki gets a few less touches after his 357 in 05' and Jacobs picks up a few more with a full year under the his belt. An entire offseason to learn more of the O can only help his chances. 75/25 split with Tiki getting up there in years & carries isn't to hard to imagine. Almost 400 touches combined would make it 300/100. :rolleyes:

- Norv Turner is OC

- Close to 4.8 ypc in 05

Move on.
Are you a Barlow or Gore owner? Given a chance Hicks did produce late last season but, he probably will always be know as Maurice "sleeper" Hicks.

Tiki - 357 carries

Jacobs - 38

I'm going with the idea that Tiki gets a few less touches after his 357 in 05' and Jacobs picks up a few more with a full year under the his belt. An entire offseason to learn more of the O can only help his chances. 75/25 split with Tiki getting up there in years & carries isn't to hard to imagine. Almost 400 touches combined would make it 300/100. :rolleyes:
I agree with Ducegonads. And whomever said Jacobs won't be THE man - why not? He's got speed and size? (i.e. a faster version of the Bus?) He may not be the man this year, but, barring injury, will be in the next few, IMHO.

Tiki - 357 carries

Jacobs - 38

I agree with Ducegonads. And whomever said Jacobs won't be THE man - why not? He's got speed and size? (i.e. a faster version of the Bus?) He may not be the man this year, but, barring injury, will be in the next few, IMHO.
:no: I think you're going to be real disappointed if you believe Jacobs will be given the load when Tiki's gone. Runs too high and doesn't have the durability. I know Coach Kill at Southern Illinois would to have loved to have used him full-time, but he's a better asset as a between the tackles pounder with another RB. He does have nice speed, nice straight ahead speed.

Good points but Bush is more talented than DD :2cents:
No one says he isn't - butHe'd better get his butt in TC and learn to pass block in the NFL or he will be doing his best Cedric Benson impression for most of the season. Only when he is atleast adequate at that will he have the opportunity to be part of an RBBC or take the job from DD outright.

IMHO DD will be the primary back overall for the Texans in 2006, Bush or no Bush. Could very well be his role diminishes over the year but that is up to Reggie. Morency - stays a Texan and hopes that DD will be gone in 2007.

I can't remember the SB of the extension DD signed but his base salary becomes 3.3M next season so if they draft Bush could be Morency will be right...

- Norv Turner is OC

- Close to 4.8 ypc in 05

Move on.
Are you a Barlow or Gore owner? Given a chance Hicks did produce late last season but, he probably will always be know as Maurice "sleeper" Hicks.
1. Neither.2. Given a chance, Heath Evans produced last year. Still wouldn't touch him.

3. He won't be known as "Sleeper Hicks" for long. He'll be known as "CFL Hicks", or "Arena League Hicks". Maybe if he's lucky he might stay "3rd string on a sucky team Hicks". :X

I'm curious to see where you would break these down in terms of draft pick values.Obviously Brown/Caddy are worth high 1sts at least.

the next 4, probably low 1st?

Moats on - a 2nd?

Notwithstanding the rating of Benson at 9, does this seem right?

On Benson, just keep in mind a whole lot of people were calling Larry Johnson a bust before he got his shot. Just my opinion, but I see Benson as the better overall talent.
Funny, I was going to post tonight asking if anyone else saw similarities between these two backs. I think they have very comparable skills. Neither the Bears or Chiefs have great receivers, but Chicago is badly in need of a TE who can stretch the field to open up the running game. Priest and LJ would not have been nearly as effective without Gonzo.

1. Brown - Not sold on him until he learns how to properly use his body when he runs. When he can learn to elude defenders more often than plowing straight into them, he should become a reliable back. Until then, and if that ever happens, I would not touch him.2. Cadillac - Gruden is adament about getting him 50 receptions this year. Have to love him. I'd be concerned about Alstott vulchering carries except for that he and Cadillac were used almost interchangably last year, and it wasn't so much the ineptness of Cadillac on the goalline as it was the caution for whether he was ready or not.

3. Houston - I didn't get to see as much of him as I would have liked, but I think what I did see was probably a Nick Goings'esque performance. I believe at best, he is a Mike Alstott, and I think with a solid rookie complement from this year's draft we'll see a very solid performance again this year. Probably worth a later middle-round consideration in redrafts.

4. Jacobs - I'm not high on him at all. I know that Barber did have an amazing year last year (and before) and it has been reason to keep Jacobs off of the field more than some would like, but I don't believe it's all Tiki that's causing it. I don't think he's really anything more than a goal-line back, and I don't think he'll flourish if Barber goes down. I like the Giants, but I don't trust Jacobs in that role at all.

5. Barber III - Lots of okay backs look good when they are splitting time. For a guy who had one big game (against Arizona) to be some sort of hail mary back all of a sudden is a little much for me. I was a Julius Jones hater until last year, and I'm confident he has matured mentally and physically to the point where he will be a stud back, and Barber will just fill in the gaps.

6. Gore - He remains a mystery to me. Is he a stud back? Is he a one hit wonder? Is he just getting lucky? Is he even doing anything that impressive? There are so many X-factors on that almost unfairly terrible SF team that it's very hard to guage. I'll leave this one as a question mark, because I just really don't know. If I had to pick, I'd give him a shaky thumbs up.

7. Moats - I think this guy is overhyped and I don't believe he'll get any shot this year. It'll be the Brian Westbrook Show.

8. Pearman - I'd throw him in the Frank Gore category. Just really not sure what we've got in Pearman. I'd lean more toward the thumbs down though. I think hoping for starter-caliber back is a bit too much wishful thinking.

9. Benson - This guy is going to explode for about 1,800 yards if Jones is traded (which I'm becoming to think he will be to Indy). I feel bad for Jones, because he's a solid back, and he just never seems to really get any respect. But Benson is going to set Chicago on fire. He had an unlucky spell last year and nothing went right for him. If Jones is there, I don't like him for more than 8 or 900 yards at best, and certainly not on a consistant basis.

10. Fason - Someone said he's supposed to be the new Moe Williams. I don't know how much I believe that. I think what will end up happening is a bunch of okay backs split time three or four ways. The Vikings won't be any good this year because of other problems, but this is one situation I would steer clear of.

11. Arrington - Absolutely not. Green missed this pick by a mile. Whatever is wrong with Arrington, he simply doesn't have the drive. Will it come to him? I doubt it. All it takes is a change of mind, but that's a lot to ask someone who has shown that he really doesn't care by the way he runs. You can blame the bad offensive blocking and how backup tackles were filling in at both guard positions last year, but I'll just point to the plays where he just plain fell over behind the line with barely a guy on him. He doesn't even fall forward. He reminds me of a washed up Charlie Garner the way he submits to tackling, and in his 2nd year, that's a bad, bad thing.

12. Morency - He will be a monster when he's given his shot. The problem is, with Bush and Davis on the same team, that shot won't be in Houston. My money is on him being shipped to Denver somehow, via trade or free agency. He's a guy to keep on the backburners for a while and just keep in mind for when he does get his shot. He runs like a wildass and he's a top 8 back in the right system.

On Benson, just keep in mind a whole lot of people were calling Larry Johnson a bust before he got his shot. Just my opinion, but I see Benson as the better overall talent.
Funny, I was going to post tonight asking if anyone else saw similarities between these two backs. I think they have very comparable skills. Neither the Bears or Chiefs have great receivers, but Chicago is badly in need of a TE who can stretch the field to open up the running game. Priest and LJ would not have been nearly as effective without Gonzo.
Yes, and shh.. I don't want anyone sweeping him up before I pick in the 4th round of my redraft leagues :D

Last edited:
Lots of okay backs look good when they are splitting time.

:goodposting:

This should be permanently placed into my pasteboard, ready for the 5,000 threads concerning guys like Arrington, Bell, Dayne, Gado, Parker, MAURICE HICKS! etc...

:lmao:

take it FWIW.

:own3d: :popcorn:
Hey, Undercover Brutha, did you cry when the Texans drafted Williams? At least you have another year of bashing DD!!!!

they suppose to wanna trade up in the 1st to take a rb???? I dunno but i said all along he is serviceable....nothing special, and I do think Morency the better rb skill wise....nothing has changed...

But i do wish someone go and _____________________ Casserley. That ____ just messed up on the best player to come along in a long time..... SOmebody should go and burn down _______________, that will show em. Them _______ are probaly to be stupid enough to go and draft another rb aside from BUsh, Bush was a weapon, not just a rb, all these other rb's are just........rb's. They have Morency to back up DD. They better draft all defense with there top 4 picks kinda like dallas did last year. No need for no settleing now....But i will say this on there behalf.....He wanted more money than LT is what i hear and i would think thats a bit much for a rookie that hasnt did nothing.

give me some thoughts, should I try to trade number 1.6 overall and Terry Glenn (my #4 WR) for Cedric Benson in a 12 team dynasty league? I say I try it.

Guys like Larry Johnson, Lamont Jordan, Rudi Johnson, FWP, DeShaun Foster and Shaun Alexander as a few examples. All who became starting RB's after waiting for their shot. Does the RB class of 2005 hold the next big thing? What sophomore RB's go on to become the man?1. Ronnie Brown - Miami will run the ball, pass the ball, much better in 2006. 2. Caddy - Easy pick. Showed alot year one and still has Gruden gushing.3. Cedric Houston - Showed late season flashes on an awful team. CM, tick tock.4. Brandon Jacobs - TD vulture. SIZE and speed. Split's 75/25 with Tiki for now.5. Marion Barber III - 5 TD's in 138 att. Added 18 receptions. JJ 50% MB 50%?6. Frank Gore - Finally get rid of the repeated Barlow hype. 613yds in limited duty.7. Ryan Moats - Westbrook has the job when healthy. Moats will get his chance.8. Alvin Pearman - Taylor is down to his final year. Can catch the ball and run.9. Cedric Benson - Still can't get past the crying. Called out TJ and truly fell short.10. Ciatrick Fason - Too many RB's in Viking land. Never really had a shot.11. JJ Arrington - EDGE, EDGE, EDGE. Has a chance to learn from a winner.12. Vernand Morency - DD has had some injuries. New coach new system.
Easy to see that Jacobs gets a small bump with the recent Tiki news. Arrington, Fason, Morency, Pearman and Moats are all looking like career backups, 3rd down guys, special teamers. Caddy, Brown and Gore are you future STUD RB's from this class. Benson? Who knows.My revised rankings of the sophomore RB class after week 6 in 2006. Critique, additional players welcomed.1. Frank Gore - Flies to the top with what seems to be a bright future. Nice start of the season.2. Ronnie Brown - Gotta stick with this guy here. His numbers may be better with JH at QB. 3. Caddy - Alot depends on his toughness. Came back quickly from the injury, no pun intended.4. Marion Barber III - Even with JJ having the touches MB3 has 4 TD's in 6 games. 1-2 punch.5. Brandon Jacobs - Anyone who grabbed him thinking he's just a TD vulture is a little giddy now.6. Cedric Benson - Something is wrong here. Either my ranking of him or just him. Teammates love TJ. ________________ FILL IN THE BLANK. The drop starts here.7. Cedric Houston - Blocking issues to work out, runs hard, rookie RB that's looking pretty decent.8. JJ Arrington - I'm going to say that the O-line never did him any favors. Will EDGE last in ARZ?9. Vernand Morency - Traded, played, benched. Needs to learn the system. Green on his last leg.10. Ryan Moats - Crickets, wind, tumbleweed.... Buckhaulter has the BU role now. 11. Alvin Pearman - Maurice took care of any chances of this guy becoming more than a special teamer.12. Ciatrick Fason - "Fason" sounds French for "here today, gone tomorrow."

You might want to add Gado to this discussion, although he would appear certain to be in the bottom half right now.

I don't think you can call Brown, Gore or Caddy "studs" quite yet. Inconsistent is what they are. Would I love to have any of them, sure, but like Bill says "Let's not put them in Canton just yet."

Users who are viewing this thread