What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

12 TEAM PPR - 10TH PICK...Am I crazy? (1 Viewer)

Sasgaard

Footballguy
Hey guys, pretty standard scoring, PPR, 12 team league....and before I ask, I know that every draft is different, we need to adapt to the flow and how the draft goes, etc....I know all this...

with that said, I have the 10th pick and we have to start 1 RB, 2 WR and then 2 flex. If guys Gordon, Fournette, Cook, are still here when it's my first pick, which I think they might still be here as historically our league has seen WRs going early...I'm thinking about going RB/RB as my first two picks.

SO obviously, that would leave me hurt at WRs....am I crazy?

Thanks for any feedback....much appreciated.

It's not crazy at all depending who's available.  Probably looking at Fitzgerald, JuJu, and Thielen in round 3 as your WR1.  You can hammer WR the rest of the draft, take some high upside guys and hope they hit.

I don't think it's crazy, but it's not the route I would take.  You are only forced to start one RB and I would be all over my starters before depth.  In a PPR league, I would want as many good receivers as you can get a hold of.  You're going to get a lot more points out of guys with heavy target loads than you are from guys you pick later in the draft.  As you said yourself, it will leave you hurting at WR.  Do you really want to be hurting at WR in a PPR league?  

You need at least one guy who is going to be dependable every week.  Will guys like Fitz, JuJu, and Thielen still be around at pick 34 in a WR heavy early draft?  It's a legit question.

Of course it all comes down to your gut and what you want your team to look like.  It's not a bad thing to have to solid RBs on your team with the extra flex positions.

thanks jmble but technically speaking, we have two flex so I can start 1 or 2 or even 3 RBs....so not sure WRs are actually more valuable than RBs. I understand the PPR but when you have a starting RB, you are also guaranteed a certain number of touches per game. You can't really say that with second and third tier WRs.

I'm really on the fence on this one. I'm not liking that 10th spot this year.

thanks for the feedback guys.

Easily go RB/RB. I would even grab McCaffrey in the second if the work horses are gone. WR is deep this year.

I think after you get by the workhorse RB in PPR, that WR rules

2nd round

i think Adams outscores McCaffery. Rest of draft will look like this after you get past top RBs

so I lean towards starting a 1-4 in this type of league. I know you can find WRs later but what is wrong with White or Bernarc later for bye week. 

Nothing wrong with RB/RB assuming the 2nd RB is McCaffrey/McKinnon level or better. If not Gronk is also an option in that 2nd spot but if Keenan is there than he would be my target.

Hey guys, pretty standard scoring, PPR, 12 team league....and before I ask, I know that every draft is different, we need to adapt to the flow and how the draft goes, etc....I know all this...

with that said, I have the 10th pick and we have to start 1 RB, 2 WR and then 2 flex. If guys Gordon, Fournette, Cook, are still here when it's my first pick, which I think they might still be here as historically our league has seen WRs going early...I'm thinking about going RB/RB as my first two picks.

SO obviously, that would leave me hurt at WRs....am I crazy?

Thanks for any feedback....much appreciated.
It's an old school strategy, but from mocks I've done (and a 12-teamer I drafted at 11 yesterday) your best bet is likely "best available" and be flexible. 

Never paint yourself into a corner. If it gets to 10, and there are 4-5 tier 1-2 WRs, take Gordon or Fournette. Get that stud RB anchor for your team. 

Then what makes it back on the turn will dictate your next pick. If teams 11-12 both go WR-WR, you can either take another stud RB and be content with 3-4 tier WRs (which can work) or grab whoever is left of the top tier WRs. IMO Davonte Adams and Michael Thomas are the most likely and I would 10000% grab one of them to pair with your RB. 

Then round 3 same thing - check the lists, see who's available and how many. Take advantage of the 10-spot and short turn - that's a gift. If you count 5 RBs you can live with in the 4.03 spot, take the best WR. 

And look at the other rosters!  If teams 11-12 both went WR-WR, you KNOW they're going to need a RB here. So take the best RB with confidence that maybe 1 of them is crazy enough to take 3 straight WRs. I doubt either will start with 4 straight WRs, and I'm reasonably sure neither will start with 3. So in that case you HAVE to take the best RB, because 1) you'd just be handing the turn value if you don't, and 2) it costs you literally NOTHING at WR to do so. 

We do KTS drafting in my league which means when your name is drawn you get to pick your draft slot, based on what's available still. My name was the 7th pulled and the 12-spot was taken by the 6th pick. I chose 11 over 6 specifically for the reasons outlined and it worked out beautifully. Team 12 went WR/WR, so 3.11 I took Collins (team 12 was pissed) and S.Diggs made it through the RB/RB turn at 12. 

Best advice is to stay in the moment. Count the players there at each position, check the rosters at the turn and make your plans on the fly every round accordingly. That also gets you in the habit of checking all the player lists every round so you don't miss any value that slips. If you go into round 5 thinking "I'm taking a RB this round for sure!" you might miss a WR who fell to you, or you might end up taking a position that no one in the next 4 picks would have touched, which costs you value. 

Good luck! 

very nice hot sauce....thanks buddy
My pleasure - at the end of the draft the best strategy is to approach it with more of a focus on situation & philosophy than specific players to target. Have the targets in mind, sure - but focus on value. Every pick, every round.

and never be afraid to reach! There are 18 picks between your even & odd picks, which is more than a full round. I’m not saying ignore ADP, but don’t get too clever - if you say to yourself, “I like this player more but his ADP says it’s one round early and I might get him later”, stop. Check yourself. You won’t. He’ll get taken, and you’ll have the inferior player. Take who you like, take who you want, ADP is a guideline not a ruler. 

As i’d mentioned, Collins was my last highly ranked RB2s on the board at 3.11 and turn went WR/WR. I knew I was going RB. Someone took R.Freeman a couple picks before - probably a reach. He went 4.11 on Friday night in my other league. I knew I wouldn’t get him after the turn. So what’s too early?  Now I have a potentially great RB2 & the teams at 1-8 all got robbed of solid RB depth because of the 3 straight 3-11, 3.12, 4.01.  4.03 saw the run and reached for a guy, as did 4.05. 

I love how that all went down, and in a way helped to inspire it. 

Good luck! 

Last edited by a moderator:
here are my first 8 picks...drafting now....I like it so far....my starting lineup looks like this. 6pts for ALL TDs by the way. PPR league.

QB: LUCK

RB: Gordon

RB: McCoy

WR: OBJ

WR: Funchess

WR: Woods (Rams)

TE: Z. Ertz

Edit: Grabbed Edelman...and Kelvin Benjamin in my next two picks.

Last edited by a moderator:
here are my first 8 picks...drafting now....I like it so far....my starting lineup looks like this. 6pts for ALL TDs by the way. PPR league.

QB: LUCK

RB: Gordon

RB: McCoy

WR: OBJ

WR: Funchess

WR: Woods (Rams)

TE: Z. Ertz

Edit: Grabbed Edelman...and Kelvin Benjamin in my next two picks.
Love Gordon. Hate McCoy - get more RB help (by don’t be panicky about it) 

Ertz a little overrated, OBJ is solid, not big on Funchess or Woods but I could be wrong. 

I think when Edelman comes back, I have a good line up.

I'm fairly high on Funchess...he was serviceable last year for me and I'm happy I got him in the 8th round. I didn't want McCoy but he was still here in the 5th....couldn't pass.

I got Keenan Cole as well and I think he could be big.

Thanks Hot Sauce for the replies...very much appreciated.

I think when Edelman comes back, I have a good line up.

I'm fairly high on Funchess...he was serviceable last year for me and I'm happy I got him in the 8th round. I didn't want McCoy but he was still here in the 5th....couldn't pass.

I got Keenan Cole as well and I think he could be big.

Thanks Hot Sauce for the replies...very much appreciated.
Anytime - best of luck to you this year! 

Users who are viewing this thread