What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

18 firefighters lost in AZ (1 Viewer)

http://www.cnn.com/2013/06/30/us/arizona-missing-firefighters/

(CNN) -- Eighteen firefighters battling a blaze in Arizona who were unaccounted for Sunday night have been confirmed dead, said Wade Ward with the Prescott Fire Department.

All were members of that city's fire department. It was not immediately clear how they died.

Earlier, an official with the Arizona State Forestry Division had said that as many as 19 were still missing.

The crew was fighting the Yarnell Hill fire, which broke out Friday northwest of Phoenix. The fire has grown to 1,000 acres, damaged three homes and forced the evacuations of residents in the communities of Peeples and Yarnell, forestry official Art Morrison said.

Damn. This really hits home. I worked on a type II/I crew for a summer in Colorado with the BLM. When #### goes bad, the only defense is your turkey baker. Awesome job, but there are some serious risks. Prayers for their families.

Spent a night talking with a Battalion Chief of a mid sized city and a forest fire fighter with the Forest Service who once was a smoke jumper. Pretty much the entire night was me asking questions and them informing me. It was amazing what I learned. I think most people have no idea what they guys do on a daily basis and what kind of situations they find themselves in all the time- so many close calls and some too close.

RIP to all those brave men.

Damn. This really hits home. I worked on a type II/I crew for a summer in Colorado with the BLM. When #### goes bad, the only defense is your turkey baker. Awesome job, but there are some serious risks. Prayers for their families.
Yeah, I live in the 'burbs of Phoenix, but every summer these guys all ship in from other parts of the country and end up staying in this cluster of hotels near my house. It's quite an operation just to mobilize all these guys and their gear. I've met quite a few of them in some of the local bars and they've always been some of the coolest guys. Still can't fathom what's happened.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah, I live in the 'burbs of Phoenix, but every summer these guys all ship in from other parts of the country and end up staying in this cluster of hotels near my house. It's quite an operation just to mobilize all these guys and their gear. I've met quite a few of them in some of the local bars and they've always been some of the coolest guys. Still can't fathom what's happened.
Yep. You can make a lot of money. Basically working for two weeks straight, with one or two days off, then back at it again. When I did it back in '97 I could bring home $2000 after taxes for two weeks of work. Of course, by the end of the summer I was ragged (lost 30+ pounds).

You are supposed to work the flanks of a fire and basically pinch it down. Trying to stop a fire with a 2' fire line seems crazy, but that's the primary method for these small fires. It's these small fires that are also the most deadly as they don't have a full command center with a dedicated weather/warning system. A quick switch of the wind, and you'll find yourself being outrun by a fire. Scary ####.

Google;s first suggestion was this thread, so I have to ask, what's a turkey baker?

Google;s first suggestion was this thread, so I have to ask, what's a turkey baker?
I would suspect it's one of those silver colored metallic tents that are meant to act as heat shields.

I would suspect it's one of those silver colored metallic tents that are meant to act as heat shields.
Ahh, thanks. Feel bad for their families and the town, less than 40,000 people in Prescott, so probably a lot of residents knew at least one of them.

Not to off track the thread, but does anyone know if Pseudomonas syringae is ever used to try to seed rain over wildfires like they do in snowmaking?

Really sad. Seems the past few years have seen a lot more fires (I live in Utah - last year saw a lot of fires), but I never thought something this bad would happen.

Yes. You are supposed to take a canteen of water/handkerchief inside with you to put over your mouth. Things are flimsy and they are easy to tear, especially when trying to do it quickly or in rough terrain, and you won't know it till its too late.

Really sad. Seems the past few years have seen a lot more fires (I live in Utah - last year saw a lot of fires), but I never thought something this bad would happen.
It happen in Colorado like15 years are so ago. 14 died on Storm King mountain when they got caught in rough terrain and the wind changed on them. Their blankets couldn't save them.

Very tragic. T&P

My brother does this for a living in rural Colo.

Hits home; thinking of their families tonight

17 total deaths. 1 guy was doing something else. If anything I'm shocked this doesn't happen more often given how common these fires seem to be now.

rip

I was stationed in nearby Tucson back in 94-98. Our base firefighters sometimes helped when wild fires broke out in the state. I knew several of the volunteers and can't help feel for the family and friends of all concerned. Terrible effing news :(

Users who are viewing this thread