What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2006 Hall of Fame class (1 Viewer)

I'm glad warren made it but i thought Harry Carson didn't want to even be considered.....

Good class :thumbup:

Of note... Art Monk and Derrick Thomas did not make it to the cut to 10. Michael Irvin and Thurman Thomas made it to the cut to 10, but not to the cut to 6.

I'm glad warren made it but i thought Harry Carson didn't want to even be considered.....
Carson said he was going to have his phone turned off. Wonder if he'll be part of the press conference.

Of note... Art Monk and Derrick Thomas did not make it to the cut to 10. Michael Irvin and Thurman Thomas made it to the cut to 10, but not to the cut to 6.
I wonder if Irvin dropped down because of his recent problems. :ph34r:

Carson said he was going to have his phone turned off. Wonder if he'll be part of the press conference.
What's his beef with the HOF? :confused:
I think he just got tired of being a bridesmaid [groomsman] every year. Has some family issues going on as well.

Aikman, White, Madden lead six-man Fame class

NFL.com wire reports

DETROIT (Feb. 4, 2006) -- Troy Aikman made it into the Pro Football Hall of Fame's biggest class in years. The guy he threw to -- Michael Irvin -- will have to wait once again.

Reggie White, Warren Moon, Harry Carson, John Madden and Rayfield Wright also were elected. Not since 2001 had the maximum number of candidates been chosen.

Emmitt Smith, who joined with Aikman and Irvin to win three Super Bowls for the Dallas Cowboys, campaigned vigorously Feb. 3 for his two former teammates. But Irvin, plagued by off-the-field troubles in recent years, was left out in his second try.

The late White, the NFL career sacks leader when he retired in 2000, and star quarterbacks Aikman and Moon made it in their first year of eligibility. Moon is the first black quarterback in the Hall.

Madden and Wright were seniors committee candidates and Carson was in his seventh year as a finalist.

The class of 2006 and will be inducted in Canton, Ohio, on the weekend of Aug. 5-6.

Good class  :thumbup:

I wonder if Irvin dropped down because of his recent problems. :ph34r:
According to Len Pastabelly, who is one of the voters, character issues such as drug problems, domestic abuse, etc., are NOT allowed to even be discussed when debating the merits of a candidate.However, he also said that there is no doubt in his mind that some of the older voters in the room hold those things against the players, though they aren't supposed to. I think Irvin gets in next year. They are just sending a message.

HTF did Thurman Thomas not make it? :confused:
IMO, if Norwood's kick is 2 feet to the left, Thomas is a first ballot HoF'er.It sucks, but the committee weighs Super Bowl rings quite heavily.

:shrug:

Once again, Art Monk gets totally screwed because of one man, Peter "I'm a total incomptent hack" King, who with his typical New York bias, refuses to vote for anyone from the Redskins of the 1980s. Not just Monk, but Russ Grimm and Joe Jacoby should be in the HOF if stiffs like Rayfield Wright or Warren Moon get in. :hot: :hot: :hot:

I think he just got tired of being a bridesmaid [groomsman] every year. Has some family issues going on as well.
He is.
The former New York Giants linebacker, who played at S.C. State in college, is again among 15 finalists for induction. Never has his indifference seemed so understandable.

As a panel of 39 selectors debates his Hall of Fame qualifications Saturday in Detroit, site of Super Bowl XL, Carson deals with serious health issues confronting two of his children.

His son, Donald, 23, was diagnosed last month with a rare blood disorder. His daughter, Aja, 26, is battling cervical cancer after giving birth to Carson’s first grandchild on Dec. 20.

Talk of football immortality is not a high priority these days.

“My thoughts are someplace else,” Carson said. “They are with my family. The thing with the hall has become very insignificant.”

Carson spoke by phone this week from a Savannah hospital while taking a break from his son’s bedside. Donald Carson suffers from aplastic anemia, a blood disorder caused by the bone marrow’s inability to produce enough red blood cells and platelets.

His son’s immune system is so weak that Carson wears a surgical mask in the room. He said it might take another two months before doctors know if treatments will have a lasting impact.

Carson spent Tuesday with Donald and awaited news from Florence, where Aja was undergoing minor surgery.

“My kids are helping me through this,” said Carson, who did not remove his mask during the 30-minute interview. “My son is an athlete. He is built to stand up to adversity.

“My daughter is like me — she is tough. We are getting through this together.”
http://www.thestate.com/mld/thestate/sports/13779981.htm

IMO, if Norwood's kick is 2 feet to the left, Thomas is a first ballot HoF'er.It sucks, but the committee weighs Super Bowl rings quite heavily.

Apparently not heavily enough. See previous post. Monk, Jacoby and Grimm each have 3, but that's NOT enough.

IMO Thurman Thomas was among the top 3 RBs in the 90's behind Sanders and Emmitt. If thats not HOF material I dont know what is.

Moon isn't a first ballot hall of famer, if you play qb and don't win playoff games it's held against you. Irvin was more money than Moon ever was(at least in the NFL).....

Thurman Thomas got screwed. Plain and simple.
I thought he was more worthy than Moon, personally.
He was more deserving than Moon AND Carson. He was the best all-around RB for a 3-5 year period and one of the 3 best RBs over a 10 year period (behind only Smith and Sanders, 2 of the best ever). Carson? Give me freaking break. I guess if you ##### and whine about getting in, you can guilt trip the guys into getting you in. What a joke.

Moon isn't a first ballot hall of famer, if you play qb and don't win playoff games it's held against you. Irvin was more money than Moon ever was(at least in the NFL).....
This may be 100% wrong, but it was said on the radio last week that this is the pro football HOF, not just NFL. :unsure: FWIW, I'd put Thomas in - both Derrick and Thurman, but not over Moon, Aikman or White.

Irvin was kept out because he's a borderline HOF canidate with character issues. Kind of the opposite of Bettis, both borderline, but Bus will get more votes because of what he means to the league as a model citizen. Irvin may get in next year, but I wouldn't push for him over the Thomas's.

Hey, where did you get that info? And when was Bob Kuchenberg cut?thanks

Rich Eisen announced that info live on the NFL Network at 2pm EST.Told who was eliminated in the first cut, then in the second cut.

Good class  :thumbup:

Rich Eisen announced that info live on the NFL Network at 2pm EST.Told who was eliminated in the first cut, then in the second cut.
Cool, thanks. Do you remember any more names and when they were cut?

The pro football hall of fame once again shows itself to be a complete joke. Michael Irvin and Thurman Thomas were 10 times the football players that Moon or Carson were. The hall of fame should be for great players, not good players that played a long time and compiled big stat lines IMO. Warren Moon was never a great player and has no business in the hall of fame.

Moon isn't a first ballot hall of famer, if you play qb and don't win playoff games it's held against you.  Irvin was more money than Moon ever was(at least in the NFL).....
This may be 100% wrong, but it was said on the radio last week that this is the pro football HOF, not just NFL. :unsure:
That is the name of the HOF, but that is because there are multiple leagues that make up the "family tree" of the NFL. There is no player in the HOF that did not earn his place in the NFL or its related leagues (e.g., AFL, AAFC, etc.). No one has made it because of accomplishments in the CFL, USFL, XFL, Arena league, etc.Moon is a worthy HOFer based solely on his NFL accomplishments. He is in the top 5 all time in the NFL in passing attempts, completions, passing yards, and passing TDs. He also made 9 Pro Bowls.

Moon and Aikman are good examples of the primary two ways players can earn their way into the HOF. One way is to have good statistical accomplishments and great postseason success. The other is to have little postseason success but great statistics for a long period of time. Moon is obviously the latter.

Cool, thanks. Do you remember any more names and when they were cut?
I really don't. I was concentrating on who was left. I'm sure that information will be available online in no time at all.

I agree with the Thurman Thomas comments here.

I would have voted for Thurman Thomas, Warren Moon, Reggie White, and John Madden. At least the other 3 made it.

Moon is a worthy HOFer based solely on his NFL accomplishments. He is in the top 5 all time in the NFL in passing attempts, completions, passing yards, and passing TDs. He also made 9 Pro Bowls.
But when it's all said and done, what do all those completions and yards really mean?Nothing.

He never won a big game, and the run 'n shoot Oilers threw a million times a game.

Hell, Bobby Hebert and Cody Carlson looked good in that offense.

Once again, Art Monk gets totally screwed because of one man, Peter "I'm a total incomptent hack" King, who with his typical New York bias, refuses to vote for anyone from the Redskins of the 1980s. Not just Monk, but Russ Grimm and Joe Jacoby should be in the HOF if stiffs like Rayfield Wright or Warren Moon get in. :hot: :hot: :hot:
Monk simply wasn't a great player. He was a very good WR who was never in the top tier of WRs. He played in a pass-friendly Gibbs system, and frankly, was just barely the #1 option on his team many years. [Gary Clark was a bigger weapon for a # of years] Monk was a possession WR, not even as good as Tim Brown, who IMO isn't worthy of the Hall either.King isn't biased against Monk, he's just making a solid decision about an above-average, non-superstar player.

O-lineman are just tough to get admitted in today's stat-focused world, although I agree that Grimm and Jacoby deserve serious consideration.

Being a Dolphins fan, I really hated Thurman Thomas!!! He did deserve to go to the HOF. He was a top RB and even though he was never on a winning Super Bowl team, he did go 4 straight times. If Jim Kelly gets in on his first attempt then Thomas should have been as well. He should make it next year.

RJ

Monk simply wasn't a great player. He was a very good WR who was never in the top tier of WRs. He played in a pass-friendly Gibbs system, and frankly, was just barely the #1 option on his team many years. [Gary Clark was a bigger weapon for a # of years] Monk was a possession WR, not even as good as Tim Brown, who IMO isn't worthy of the Hall either.King isn't biased against Monk, he's just making a solid decision about an above-average, non-superstar player.

O-lineman are just tough to get admitted in today's stat-focused world, although I agree that Grimm and Jacoby deserve serious consideration.
Wow, the ignorance in that diatribe is astounding. Way to back up your position with statistics. :thumbup: Czabe's fought the fight longer and much better than I ever could, so I'll just summarize some of his points/observations:

When Art Monk retired, he held the 1) Single Season Catch Record 2) The All-Time Career Catch Record 3) The Consecutive Games With a Catch Record. A veritable trifecta of excellence defining marks. No other wideout on this list (or any other list) ever RETIRED while holding all three of those belts.
If that isn't top tier, then what is?
Art Monk won two Super Bowls and went to another. He did so with three different quarterbacks, none of whom is going to the Hall of Fame. Where I come from, that’s called being a “winner.”
Three Super Bowl wins. That's impressive. BTW, can you name the quarterbacks of those teams off the top of your head? Should be easy since Gibbs had such a pass-friendly system. :rolleyes: You don't have to be the number one option on your team to make the hall of fame. Michael Irvin was never the Cowboys number one option (Emmit was) and yet he's getting serious consideration.

Michael Irvin

Art Monk

Monk 68 TDs 12721 YDs

Irvin 65 TDs, 11904 YDs

HOF is a joke

then how did Jim Kelly and Warren Moon get in on their first ballot?Thurman Thomas was a much stronger candidate than either, IMO. He'll get in next year. John Clayton said he was probably the 7th candidate and got squeezed out by the senior candidates this year.

Being a Dolphins fan, I really hated Thurman Thomas!!! He did deserve to go to the HOF. He was a top RB and even though he was never on a winning Super Bowl team, he did go 4 straight times. If Jim Kelly gets in on his first attempt then Thomas should have been as well. He should make it next year.

RJ
I agree. Man he used to just shred the 'Phins.Desreves to be in.

Congrats to Harry Carson. It was looking like it might never happen.

So does Doug Flutie have a chance to make the pro football hall of fame now? or how about Walker? If Moon's CFL stats mean something then guys like Walker or to a lesser extent Flutie deserve that too. ESPN announced Moon's name including his CFL stats?? :excited:

When Art Monk retired, he held the 1) Single Season Catch Record 2) The All-Time Career Catch Record 3) The Consecutive Games With a Catch Record. A veritable trifecta of excellence defining marks. No other wideout on this list (or any other list) ever RETIRED while holding all three of those belts.
Great, so Monk caught a bunch of passes for 5-10 yards. Whoo, he sure was a threat. His two best seasons:1984: 106 catches, 1372 yds, 7 TDs1989: 86 catches, 1186 yds, 8 TDsHe broke 1100 yds 3 times, broke 6 TDs 3 times, never had double-digit TDs. Art Monk made the Pro Bowl 3 times. That's it. Not exactly stellar.Seasons among the league's top 10Receptions: 4 (1984-1, 1985-2, 1988-9t, 1989-3t) Receiving yards: 3 (1984-4, 1985-3, 1989-10) Receiving TDs: 1 (1991-9t)A HOF receiver is in the top 10 a bit more than 3 times for receiving yards, 1 times for TDs.You wanted stats buddy, you got it.
You don't have to be the number one option on your team to make the hall of fame. Michael Irvin was never the Cowboys number one option (Emmit was) and yet he's getting serious consideration.
I don't think Irvin is deserving of the HOF either. Yeah, I said it.

Not just Monk, but Russ Grimm and Joe Jacoby should be in the HOF if stiffs like Rayfield Wright or Warren Moon get in. :hot: :hot: :hot:
:lmao: at labeling Wright a "stiff". Clueless. Oh well - I guess that's what you should expect from Redskin homers.

Not just Monk, but Russ Grimm and Joe Jacoby should be in the HOF if stiffs like Rayfield Wright or Warren Moon get in. :hot:   :hot:   :hot:
:lmao: at labeling Wright a "stiff". Clueless. Oh well - I guess that's what you should expect from Redskin homers.
Exactly. Wright was in the Pro Bowl 6 times.....as compared to 3 times for the oh so amazing Art Monk, and 4 each for Grimm and Jacoby. :rolleyes:

Last edited by a moderator:
So does Doug Flutie have a chance to make the pro football hall of fame now? or how about Walker? If Moon's CFL stats mean something then guys like Walker or to a lesser extent Flutie deserve that too. ESPN announced Moon's name including his CFL stats?? :excited:
John Clayton on the radio today said that CFL stats have no influence on the voting at all. The CFL has their own HOF.Doug Flutie has no chance of ever even being named as a finalist.

Moon only passed for 50,000+ yards in the NFL and CFL. Cut the man some slack.

Irvin should get in next year as well as Thurman Thomas.

Rayfield Wright finally got his deserved spot in the hall. He was the only all-decade lineman from the 70s that wasn't in the HOF yet.

Kudos to Goose Gosselin of the Dallas Morning News for making the presentations for Aikman, Irvin, and Wright.

John Clayton on the radio today said that CFL stats have no influence on the voting at all. The CFL has their own HOF.Doug Flutie has no chance of ever even being named as a finalist.
How about as a kicker?

then how did Jim Kelly and Warren Moon get in on their first ballot?
Fair enough. I probably should have worded it this way:For a borderline candidate, having a Super Bowl ring would have helped greatly.

Fair enough. I probably should have worded it this way:For a borderline candidate, having a Super Bowl ring would have helped greatly.
if you think Thurman Thomas is "borderline", you are delusional

:confused: Here we go again. No disrespect intended to Thurman.

I mean, "a guy who is RIGHT on the verge of getting in or not getting in."

What would a better word have been as opposed to "borderline?"

:confused: Here we go again. No disrespect intended to Thurman.

I mean, "a guy who is RIGHT on the verge of getting in or not getting in."

What would a better word have been as opposed to "borderline?"
Super Bowl rings were clearly not the main concern here as Warren Moon got in on his first try. Thurman was a much stronger candidate than Moon, IMO, so I'm still not completely sure how that happened.The main problem for Thurman is that he became eligible in one of the strongest years we've seen in awhile. Aikman and White were locks, and the Senior Committee nominees also got a lot of support. That's 4 spots gone right here, which only left 2. I don't know why they decided to go with Carson and Moon over Thurman, but I am 100% certain that Thurman gets in next year.

Among the early 90 Bills, I'd rank the HOF candidacy like this (ignoring Lofton):

1. Bruce Smith

2. Thurman Thomas

3. Marv Levy

4. Jim Kelly

5. Andre Reed

6. Steve Tasker

When the Super Bowl run ended, most people knew that Smith and Thurman were HOF locks. Kelly was given about a 75% chance, and Reed is probably 50/50 while Tasker is a long shot. Its pretty silly for Kelly and Levy to get in on their first try while Thurman has to wait, but whatever. There's no doubt that he'll be in at some point.

Last edited by a moderator:
Once again, Art Monk gets totally screwed because of one man, Peter "I'm a total incomptent hack" King, who with his typical New York bias, refuses to vote for anyone from the Redskins of the 1980s.  Not just Monk, but Russ Grimm and Joe Jacoby should be in the HOF if stiffs like Rayfield Wright or Warren Moon get in. :hot:   :hot:   :hot:

Wow, the ignorance in that diatribe is astounding. Way to back up your position with statistics. :thumbup: Czabe's fought the fight longer and much better than I ever could, so I'll just summarize some of his points/observations:

Art Monk won two Super Bowls and went to another. He did so with three different quarterbacks, none of whom is going to the Hall of Fame. Where I come from, that’s called being a “winner.”
Three Super Bowl wins. That's impressive. BTW, can you name the quarterbacks of those teams off the top of your head? Should be easy since Gibbs had such a pass-friendly system. :rolleyes: You don't have to be the number one option on your team to make the hall of fame. Michael Irvin was never the Cowboys number one option (Emmit was) and yet he's getting serious consideration.

Michael Irvin

Art Monk

Monk 68 TDs 12721 YDs

Irvin 65 TDs, 11904 YDs

HOF is a joke
Irvin's career was cut short because of injury. Monk was around forever. (Didn't he play for the Jets at some point?) Monk was a fine player, but Irvin was head and shoulders better on the field. He used to punk Darrel Green. There aren't too many players to have ever beaten Green, much less get the better of him. You will find much better arguments to get him in then compairing him to Irvin.I do think he should already be in. He was a proffesional. He did win *3 Superbowls. He did own 3 of the most acomplished records for rec's.

It's a no brainer if he wasn't passed up by so many WR's recently. But all the recent wideouts just blowing by him have sure hurt his chances. I can honestly say I would probably take 10 current rec's over him right now.

Owens

Moss

S.Smith

Harrison

C.Johnson

L.Fitz

A.Bolden

E. Moulds

T.Holt

Plaxico

Rod Smith

Yep. I can EASILY say I would take every one of these guys over Monk. Obviously some of them are potential, expecially the young guys.

Never understood why people think Thurman Thomas was so much better a HoF candidate than Moon. Moon was such a dominant QB for years for a longer than T.T. was at RB.

Of course, this will be all moot next year when he and Irvin both get in.

Users who are viewing this thread