What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2006 Tampa Bay Bucs thread (1 Viewer)

From PR:Sources have told PewterReport.com that (New England Patriots) free agent offensive tackle Tom Ashworth is flying to Tampa tonight to meet with the Buccaneers. Bucs fans may remember Ashworth from this year's Bucs-Patriots game when he scored the opening touchdown for New England on a goal line pass play as a tackle-eligible receiver. He also dominated Simeon Rice while playing left tackle in that game and did not allow Rice to get a sack on QB Tom Brady.Ashworth is currently visiting the New York Jets and will fly to Tampa tonight to meet with the Buccaneers before flying to Miami tomorrow to meet with the Dolphins. Stay tuned to the PewterReport.com front page for more on this story shortly, and keeping checking the PewterReport.com message boards (where we break stories first) for more Buccaneers free agency news.

I am hearing Brtant just resigned. Who wouldn't of rather had Vinitari when those rumors were around? At least he isn't taking up as much cap space as one of the top guys. :thumbup:

I am hearing Brtant just resigned. Who wouldn't of rather had Vinitari when those rumors were around? At least he isn't taking up as much cap space as one of the top guys. :thumbup:
He did. AV is obviously a tremendous kicker, but I'd hate to see cap room tied up in that position.

I am hearing Brtant just resigned.  Who wouldn't of rather had Vinitari when those rumors were around?  At least he isn't taking up as much cap space as one of the top guys. :thumbup:
He did. AV is obviously a tremendous kicker, but I'd hate to see cap room tied up in that position.
Agree with above.The upgrade from Bryant to Vinatieri is not worth the extra $2-2.5M/yr. This move is great news for Cowboys fans.

Thanks for the lesson on offensive lines. :loco: Some of us played the game once, you know.

As for who they will or should sign, I just imagine that Kenyatta isn't going to be high on their bring-back list. He's been inconsistent at best, prone to huge mental mistakes and seems disinterested half the time. Whether they bring in another vet like Hopkins or target somebody younger, I dunno.

Davis is weak at pass-blocking. Maybe one of the worst pass-blocking tackles in the league. He's a run-blocking monster though. There's no way they are going to move him over to Simms' blind-side. It wouldn't make sense.
Yeah, that's basically the point. It's pretty much that they would rather burn a TE on passing plays in order to get Davis' hand in leading the Cadillac Convoy.I agree with your opinion on Walker. I don't think he is high on their list either as a long-term solution. But as a short-term, he would be about as solid as they can get this year, plus he's got 4 years in the system (including this offseason assuming he re-signs).

The way to do Walker's contract is $1M in base this year with a big escalators after the first year, sort of what the Bucs did with Griese's contract. They'd be able to get the most out of him for a year for a bargain price. Then they can just cut him loose after the year when they have the real replacement. Or, as an equal option, Walker could finally end up being that Tackle they envisioned, and he's already locked up for the long-term.

What I am more interested though is what happens at RG and C. Supposedly there wasn't much difference between Mahan and Terry in training camp, and Terry really should have had the job minus the injuries. I'm interested to see whether they promote him this time around.

If they do go with Terry, Mahan likely slides over and Wade becomes a backup.

At this point, this is what I'd most like to see:

LT - Anthony Davis

LG - Dan Buenning

C - Sean Mahan

RG - Jeb Terry

RT - Tom Ashworth

That would be a solid young line with an average NFL age of about 3 years.

Last edited:
Good post. That would pretty much be my ideal line as well.

I just don't think they can get Walker for what you described. He'll fetch more.

I think there is a very good chance that Ashworth signs with the Bucs soon.

By the way, I would add to your checklist:

- Re-sign Matt Bryant or sign FA K (check)

- Figure out SLB

- SS Upgrade/Depth (Archuleta?)

Just curious, how do you feel about Ryan Nece?

If Quarles returns, will Ruud play SLB and be under wing this year like Mahan to Wade in '05?

Last edited:
All these other signings are making me jealous. I am glad we resigned everyone, but I wouldn't mind hearing we are scheduled to meet with more guys. All I have heard so far was Hutchinson. The top 2 guys on my list now are T.O., and Charles Woodson.

Ashworth expecting offer tonight:

http://pewterreport.com/article.asp?action...=2087&category=

“I haven’t gotten an offer from Bruce yet, but I’m expecting one by tonight,” said Mills. “Tom really enjoyed the visit. We’re going to resume talks tonight or early tomorrow.”

In addition to Ashworth, Tampa Bay is also interested in Tennessee Titans T Brad Hopkins, who visited with the team last week, and New York Jets T Jason Fabini, both of whom are unrestricted free agents.

PewterReport.com also learned Sunday that Jacksonville Jaguars free agent OT Mike Pearson is scheduled to fly to Tampa to visit with the Buccaneers on Monday.

Walker is gone-zo:

"The Bucs have no plans to bid for former Gators tackle Kenyatta Walker, a five-year starter since Tampa Bay traded up to select him in the first round.

Walker is a free agent, and the Bucs believe he has basically maxed out his potential at the pro level, often failing to provide the aggressive edge Coach Jon Gruden is seeking up front."

http://www.tbo.com/sports/bucs/MGB6MNAUOKE.html

Walker is gone-zo:

"The Bucs have no plans to bid for former Gators tackle Kenyatta Walker, a five-year starter since Tampa Bay traded up to select him in the first round.

Walker is a free agent, and the Bucs believe he has basically maxed out his potential at the pro level, often failing to provide the aggressive edge Coach Jon Gruden is seeking up front."

I wouldn't mind if we could get him back at a minimum, but I can't say I would be upset if he was gone.

Walker is gone-zo:

1) Tom Ashworth2) Mike Pearson

3) Eric Winston

would love to see Winston, but I don't want to give up Moss in the first for him :)

Last edited:
Buccaneers | Team negotiating with Ashworth

Tue, 14 Mar 2006 17:56:04 -0800

Jim Flynn, of PewterReport.com, reports the Tampa Bay Buccaneers entered into preliminary contract discussions with the agent for free agent OT Tom Ashworth (Patriots) Tuesday, March 14. "We've engaged in preliminary talks about numbers," said Ashworth's agent, Tom Mills. "They've submitted some numbers, and we've submitted some. I don't think we're really close. We're really just talking broad concepts more than anything else." Ashworth has also talked with the Miami Dolphins and New York Jets and Mills said three teams are interested in signing his client.

Not sure what this means, but Mike Pearson is having a house built in Tampa....

take from it what you will.... he is from Tampa though. Wonder if he is planning to move back :)

Buccaneers | Boerigter will visit team on Friday

Thu, 16 Mar 2006 09:02:59 -0800

Elizabeth Merrill, of the Kansas City Star, reports free agent WR Marc Boerigter (Chiefs) will visit the Tampa Bay Buccaneers on Friday, March 17.

----------------------------------------------------------------

Buccaneers | Team front-runners to sign Ashworth

Thu, 16 Mar 2006 06:44:21 -0800

John Tomase, of the Boston Herald, reports the Tampa Bay Buccaneers are the front-runners to sign free agent OT Tom Ashworth (Patriots).

I feel special that the Buc's have are own smiley

:pirate: :pirate: :pirate: :pirate: :pirate: :pirate:

Even though I don't think it was intended to be ours, it should be. The colors are correct.

That makes 5 NFL teams that have their own FBG's smiley

Steelers= :towelwave:

Buccaneers= :pirate:

Jets= :X

Redskins= :porked:

Dolphins (maybe)= :fishy:

Last edited by a moderator:
I feel special that the Buc's have are own smiley

Even though I don't think it was intended to be ours, it should be. The colors are correct.

That makes 5 NFL teams that have their own FBG's smiley

Steelers= :towelwave:

Buccaneers= :pirate:

Jets= :X

Redskins= :porked:

Dolphins (maybe)= :fishy:
Don't forget these:Detroit= :wall:

And the Eagles = :toilet:

I hear Gruden is looking at Ramsey and A. Brooks. I really would hate to have to give compensation to Washington, but I like the idea of Washington having no proven back up if Brunel goes out. Maybe he is just trying to spur interest in the guy so another team jumps on him, like he did with Alex Smith in the 05' draft.

A. Brooks has shown flashes, but he is an idiot. Remember when he threw the ball backwards to nobody :wall:

I like the idea of creating value in QB's, but we need to find a way to retain some of that value. We got nothing for Griese and he is worth at least a 4th.

Gruden is to QB's, as Shanahan is to RB's :thumbup:

:pirate: :pirate: :pirate: :pirate: :pirate: :pirate: :pirate: :pirate: :pirate:

Really really want Ashworth. Would pretty much make the whole off-season for me.
:goodposting: I really want Ashworth and Pearson :excited:

Pearson is a young guy who has been injured, but I think if healthy he can be solid. He also is from Tampa.

Again, I wouldn't mind Kenyatta resigning for min. as a back-up. Look at how depleated our o-line was last year in training camp. I think at one tme we had 5-7 healthy guys taking all the reps. If Gruden likes to have 4 QB's he should feel the same way about linemen, as they can get hurt just as easily.

:pirate: :pirate: :pirate: :pirate:

Great news on the Fonoti signing. The Bucs offseason is going very well. I wish them all good fortune in the weeks before the draft. Rock on.

Apparently he's a real slob, close to 400 pounds. Failed a physical with the Raiders last week.

Still, decent enough. If he can get in shape, he certainly has the talent.

Apparently he's a real slob, close to 400 pounds. Failed a physical with the Raiders last week.

He's going to compete for LG to backup Dan Buenning.I don't think he'll make it. He'll need to drop about 15lbs and find himself a real work ethic.

What's more important is what it signifies: Anthony Davis will almost certainly stay at LT next year.

Capella you may know the answer to this.

Don't they put weight clauses in contracts? I remember watching NFL network when they were following the Jags in training camp, and a guy got fined for being over weight.

Even if he is a fat ###, thats all we need him to be. Just clog up the middle so caddy can avg. 3 yards per carry.

Buenning was doing that pretty well before :) .

People over at the buccaneers.com forums are going gah-gah over him, but he's pretty much signed a one year vet-min contract.... the deal is pretty much what Hovan and other cast-offs get: Show us what ya got and if we like it we'll give you a real contract.

If I was a betting man though, I'd wager a lot of money that he's just going to be backing up Buenning at LG if he makes it out of training camp.

People over at the buccaneers.com forums are going gah-gah over him, but he's pretty much signed a one year vet-min contract.... the deal is pretty much what Hovan and other cast-offs get: Show us what ya got and if we like it we'll give you a real contract.

If I was a betting man though, I'd wager a lot of money that he's just going to be backing up Buenning at LG if he makes it out of training camp.
I think he's headed for RG to push Mahan.
With the Bucs pleased by the performance of rookie left guard Dan Buenning last season, it's likely Fonoti will battle with right guard Sean Mahan, who also could move to center.
Quez > Yes, a lot of contracts have a weight clause. You can be assured that this guy's deal certainly does.

btw, the Bucs have met with Aaron Brooks. Doubt he really wants to come in as a backup though.

I wish they had signed Simms up long-term. Now with Griese gone, I'd feel a bit better there. :unsure:

With the Bucs pleased by the performance of rookie left guard Dan Buenning last season, it's likely Fonoti will battle with right guard Sean Mahan, who also could move to center.
Quez > Yes, a lot of contracts have a weight clause. You can be assured that this guy's deal certainly does.
pewterreport.com can say what they want, but he's not starting at RG. He couldn't pull to save his life.

pewterreport.com can say what they want, but he's not starting at RG. He couldn't pull to save his life.
I doubt he starts at all to be honest.

I am just glad to see we are adding O-line. We were so low on depth in TC last year, they didn't even have a full second string.

:pirate:

The problem is that he can't seem to get into shape...he reported to the Vikings last year at 404 pounds...and that was DURING the season. I can't imagine what he weighs now...but, if they can carve 75 pounds off of him, he might not have a heart attack on the field.

:thumbup: People are going nuts just because the Bucs signed someone. He's still got some upside, but I'd still be surprised if he made it out of training camp.

:thumbup: People are going nuts just because the Bucs signed someone. He's still got some upside, but I'd still be surprised if he made it out of training camp.
Even if he doesn't start it may be useful having a guy like him in camp for our D lineman to work against. Just as long as he doesn't fall on Booger. :D :pirate:

To be honest I thougth he had a Prob-bowl type season two years ago.

if the guys keep his weight in check he's a beast.
Not only that, but he needs to keep his attitude in check as well. I really don't think he's salvagable, but you never know.Hovan you could tell was going to be a winner. He did nothing wrong, he just got dogged by his old coaching staff.

Fonoti turned from a solid blocker into a fat sack of crap, which is why he was cast off to Minnesota last year, and then released.

Ike returns...

Buccaneers | Team re-signs Hilliard

Mon, 20 Mar 2006 13:57:31 -0800

ESPN.com's John Clayton reports the Tampa Bay Buccaneers have re-signed WR Ike Hilliard to a four-year contract. Financial terms were not disclosed.

--------------------------------------------------------------

Texans | Team made an offer to Hilliard

Mon, 20 Mar 2006 13:57:57 -0800

ESPN.com's John Clayton reports the Houston Texans made a contract offer to WR Ike Hilliard, before he re-signed with the Tampa Bay Buccaneers. The offer was reportedly higher than the deal he accepted from the Buccaneers.

I really like what they are doing in keeping the team chemistry.

Never have I been so pleased with the organization than this offseason.

http://www.tbo.com/sports/bucs/MGBJFGSP1LE.html

"Allen spent a good portion of the weekend trying to fill the hole in his lineup with Patriots free-agent tackle Tom Ashworth. Those contract talks proved fruitless, however, and there is now a likelihood Ashworth will sign elsewhere.

"Bruce and I spent a lot of time talking over the weekend but their offer, quite frankly, was not very compelling," said Ashworth's agent, Tom Mills. "

This is starting to piss me off. The Falcons just signed John Abraham, and we have no LT to block the guy. All we hear is, the Buc's are interested in Seneca Wallace. Whom, I think has tons of potential, but I don't know if I want to give up a 4th for him. Although, Abraham is likely to flatten Simms a few times so we may need the depth.

I still agree with how the Bucs are handling the situation. They're letting Ashworth and Kenyatta realize that no-one is going to offer them big bucks, then hopefully will sign them both. I'm fine with Anthony Davis at LT, his footwork will get better this year. I'd like Ashworth at RT but could live with Yatta at a reduced price.

This is starting to piss me off. The Falcons just signed John Abraham, and we have no LT to block the guy. All we hear is, the Buc's are interested in Seneca Wallace. Whom, I think has tons of potential, but I don't know if I want to give up a 4th for him. Although, Abraham is likely to flatten Simms a few times so we may need the depth.
All they have to do is pair a Becht up with Davis on longer pass plays.Teams habitually do this on the strong side to protect the larger, less mobile tackles from being dominated by solid SSDEs (Umenyiora, Robert Smith e.g.)

Simms has very solid pocket presence and I don't see it being a problem.

If the Bucs saw it as a problem, they'd make it a higher priority. The real problem is that you can't find a 340 lb SS LT. It would be incredibly difficult for a guy like Jon Runyan to be brought in to replace Davis, since Runyan has played the right side for the past decade. Steussie struggled very noticably when put into a similar situation.

I'll hold my displeasures until I am convinced this organization doesn't know what it's doing. For now, I am very pleased that they are confident enough in the team to try to restore it as best they can, rather than patching it up with new FA veterans.

No problems so far for me. I'd rather them not break the bank on Ashworth, as it seems like he wants them to do.

He's the guy I want them to sign the most, but not at some ridiculous contract.

I am just getting nervous, I trust Bruce and JG :popcorn:

Besides, it is going to be a field day against the Falcons in a couple of years. Rich is running that team into cap hell, just as he did the Buc's. :lmao:

I am hearing rumbleings of a Woodson to Tampa deal.

No link, someone saying it on the PR boards.

Users who are viewing this thread