What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***2009 Bills Offseason thread*** (1 Viewer)

Aaron Rudnicki

Keep Walking™
Staff member
Bills to keep Jauron as coach

by Mark Gaughan

**** Jauron is back as the Buffalo Bills head coach.

Bills owner Ralph C. Wilson Jr. told The News this afternoon that Jauron has a contract extension with the team.

"****'s going to be retained," Wilson said from his home in Detroit.

Wilson had no further comment on Jauron but the team will be releasing a statement later today.

Jauron's extension is for three years, sources told The News back in October.

Jauron flew to Detroit today to meet with Wilson.
http://www.buffalonews.com/sports/story/536303.html

Last edited by a moderator:
In a year with Shanny, Cowher and Parcells in play, the Bills rush to keep Jauron?

I guess to be fair it would be a long shot to think any of those guys would go to Buffalo, so maybe this wasn't as shocking a move.

I'm SICK,SICK, SICK. This is going to really hurt the Bills in Buffalo. I, for one, am not going to renew my season tickets. I know others who feel the same way. They seem to be doing things to create an atmosphere where the fans won't care whether the Bills move out of Buffalo. Putting an inferior team, with inferior coaches on the field when every one else in the division is making moves is not acceptable. Add the fact that they are moving home games to Toronto shows they could care less what the loyal fans think.

I am absolutely sickened by this. This is probably the lowest moment I've ever experienced as a Bills fan, because it sends a unmistakable signal that this franchise just isn't that interested in winning. I think it would be fair at this point to characterize Buffalo as the Detroit of the AFC, except that Detroit had the good sense to finally get rid of Matt Millen.

ahhh, screw it!! I quit! Send the Bills to Toronto or LA or wherever, I don't care, it's over! I just got done reading the Shanahan thread and started dreaming about what a skeletor christmas in Buffalo might be like and then I see this thread. Great coaches falling off trees like rotten fruit and Wilson up and re-signs the White Marvin Lewis to a three year extension. Heck, after the brilliant coaching job he did in 2008 of course that's what Wilson should do!!!!! Now if you'll excuse, I gotta go get me some beer and get real drunk.

Happy G :hey: D :moneybag: M :censored: F :censored: New Year Buffalo!!!!

I am absolutely sickened by this. This is probably the lowest moment I've ever experienced as a Bills fan, because it sends a unmistakable signal that this franchise just isn't that interested in winning. I think it would be fair at this point to characterize Buffalo as the Detroit of the AFC, except that Detroit had the good sense to finally get rid of Matt Millen.
Not to make you feel even lower but I've heard the Jeremy Jacobs wishes to sell the Bruins so he can buy the Bills

It hurt, but today I encouraged my 8 yr old to become a Patriots fan.

Really, Mangini has 2 winning seasons and a playoff trip in 3 yrs but he's out. Shanny has 2 rings & he's out. And yet the Bills are fine with 7-9 every year. Knew it wasn't a good sign when the team treasurer was invited to Ralph's house for this meeting. I just can't understand why a 90 yr old guy who doesn't plan on handing over the team to family doesn't break the bank at this point?

Not to make you feel even lower but I've heard the Jeremy Jacobs wishes to sell the Bruins so he can buy the Bills
this has been rumored for awhile. if it keeps the franchise in buffalo after Wilson, it's a good thing. Bruins are certainly looking pretty good these days.

I know absolutely nothing about hockey, but I take it this is would be a bad thing as far as ownership goes? Seriously, the only thing that's keeping me going right now is the knowledge that there will be a change in Bills ownership before too long. I'm not wishing anything ill on Ralph Wilson, but I will be honest and say that if he was 45, I would be looking for a new team right now because this is just insulting. I just hope our ownership change is for the better, but I'm not too optimistic.

1) Cut Jason Peters. The Bills O line is better without this bum. The fact that he made the Pro Bowl completely discredits the Pro Bowl selection process. He can't block a speed rusher, or run block, and I don't like his attitude.

2) Make sure Duke Preston is not the starter at center next year. He is an OK backup.

3) Sign a free agent FB. Team went down hill after Barnes left the team.

4) Teach Evans how to beat double coverage and/or run routes other than the deep route.

5) Don't resign Losman. Hamdan can come back. Either sign a free agent backup QB or draft one on day 2.

6) Draft a run blocking Tackle

7) Make the O Line lose a lot of weight. They may be the biggest O Line, but they are also the slowest and least athletic, and maybe the weakest.

8) Draft some athleticism for the defense.

9) Fire the training staff. The number of injuries the last 3 years has been incredible. The trainers need to lose their job for it.

10) Practise outdoors. The teams stinks in bad weather. Maybe if they practise in it, they will play better in it.

11) Teach Jauron when to gamble, when to use challenges, when to call timeout, when to go for it on 4th and when to kick FGs

12) Resign Fred Jackson. Lynch needs a 2nd RB to spell him.

1) Cut Jason Peters. The Bills O line is better without this bum. The fact that he made the Pro Bowl completely discredits the Pro Bowl selection process. He can't block a speed rusher, or run block, and I don't like his attitude.2) Make sure Duke Preston is not the starter at center next year. He is an OK backup.3) Sign a free agent FB. Team went down hill after Barnes left the team.4) Teach Evans how to beat double coverage and/or run routes other than the deep route.5) Don't resign Losman. Hamdan can come back. Either sign a free agent backup QB or draft one on day 2.6) Draft a run blocking Tackle7) Make the O Line lose a lot of weight. They may be the biggest O Line, but they are also the slowest and least athletic, and maybe the weakest.8) Draft some athleticism for the defense. 9) Fire the training staff. The number of injuries the last 3 years has been incredible. The trainers need to lose their job for it.10) Practise outdoors. The teams stinks in bad weather. Maybe if they practise in it, they will play better in it.11) Teach Jauron when to gamble, when to use challenges, when to call timeout, when to go for it on 4th and when to kick FGs12) Resign Fred Jackson. Lynch needs a 2nd RB to spell him.
The number one thing this team needs to do is pull out the "April Fools" party signs and report tomorrow that Jauron will actually be fired.The number two thing this team needs to do is draft the best available pass rushing DE or go out and sign the best available pass rushing DE in free agency.Or both. Kelsy and Denney are really good NFL back up DE's but definately not starting material. I am not even completely convinced Schobel is a top 20 NFL DE any longer.The next biggest need is a play making - game changing OLB. Good night....this team hasn't put preasure on an opposing QB in over a decade.The O-line is no where near as bad as you make it sound....however there is a need for a quality Center.

Honestly I don't know what to say. I of course want the Bills to do well, and from what I've seen I like Jauron the person, but I don't think I want to invest the 3 hours a week every week next year watching another season of Jauron ball. This season was the ultimate letdown. It was like a season-long version of your typical Bills stomach-punch game. That 5-1 start had me fooled. I didn't believe they were as good as their record, but I thought this would be the playoff year for sure.

I agree with RW that continuity is important, but more in the sense that you ride out a rough patch with a proven coach. Pittsburgh and Tennessee are good examples of franchises that retained their playoff-proven coaches through rebuilding years. Jauron has coached one playoff team, 7 years ago. In Buffalo he has now had 3 years to rebuild, and in this, his third year, produced a team that went 0-for-6 in the division. A division that included two other 'rebuilding' teams and another missing its HOF QB. And RW thinks that that effort merits a contract extension?

As for where to go with personnel, the stats and my eyes tell me that the defense is generally OK (14th in both points and yards allowed).

However, I think a lot of the offense's problems are based on playcalling. Predictability and just plain stupid decisions at the worst times (Juaron's Jet game playcall comes to mind) killed way too many drives. Interior line play was consistently bad, the Bills definitely need to invest in some more young talent there, primarily at center. And QB play was wildly inconsistent, and this position directly cost us multiple games.

As for the D, a pass rush would be nice, and would make what I think is close to being an elite defensive backfield shine.

So the primary positions of need are, in approximate order:

1. A starter-caliber QB to compete with Edwards for the starting job. No downside to adding another, and it will be necessary since there is no way Losman stays.

2. A pass rushing lineman or two to replace the overpaid tandem of Kelsay/Denney.

3. An interior lineman to help with the inside running game.

1) Cut Jason Peters. The Bills O line is better without this bum. The fact that he made the Pro Bowl completely discredits the Pro Bowl selection process. He can't block a speed rusher, or run block, and I don't like his attitude.2) Make sure Duke Preston is not the starter at center next year. He is an OK backup.3) Sign a free agent FB. Team went down hill after Barnes left the team.4) Teach Evans how to beat double coverage and/or run routes other than the deep route.5) Don't resign Losman. Hamdan can come back. Either sign a free agent backup QB or draft one on day 2.6) Draft a run blocking Tackle7) Make the O Line lose a lot of weight. They may be the biggest O Line, but they are also the slowest and least athletic, and maybe the weakest.8) Draft some athleticism for the defense. 9) Fire the training staff. The number of injuries the last 3 years has been incredible. The trainers need to lose their job for it.10) Practise outdoors. The teams stinks in bad weather. Maybe if they practise in it, they will play better in it.11) Teach Jauron when to gamble, when to use challenges, when to call timeout, when to go for it on 4th and when to kick FGs12) Resign Fred Jackson. Lynch needs a 2nd RB to spell him.
The number one thing this team needs to do is pull out the "April Fools" party signs and report tomorrow that Jauron will actually be fired.The number two thing this team needs to do is draft the best available pass rushing DE or go out and sign the best available pass rushing DE in free agency.Or both. Kelsy and Denney are really good NFL back up DE's but definately not starting material. I am not even completely convinced Schobel is a top 20 NFL DE any longer.The next biggest need is a play making - game changing OLB. Good night....this team hasn't put preasure on an opposing QB in over a decade.The O-line is no where near as bad as you make it sound....however there is a need for a quality Center.
Yah I agree more with you. The Peters hate is starting to border on insanity.

Honestly I don't know what to say. I of course want the Bills to do well, and from what I've seen I like Jauron the person, but I don't think I want to invest the 3 hours a week every week next year watching another season of Jauron ball. This season was the ultimate letdown. It was like a season-long version of your typical Bills stomach-punch game. That 5-1 start had me fooled. I didn't believe they were as good as their record, but I thought this would be the playoff year for sure. I agree with RW that continuity is important, but more in the sense that you ride out a rough patch with a proven coach. Pittsburgh and Tennessee are good examples of franchises that retained their playoff-proven coaches through rebuilding years. Jauron has coached one playoff team, 7 years ago. In Buffalo he has now had 3 years to rebuild, and in this, his third year, produced a team that went 0-for-6 in the division. A division that included two other 'rebuilding' teams and another missing its HOF QB. And RW thinks that that effort merits a contract extension?
Eloquently stated. I'm not sure I've been this down about football since the Tenn. game 9 years ago, not even the '04 Steelers debacle. Deep down I know I'll be watching every game next year, but it's something I'm anticipating less enthusiastically than my root canal next month.

Yah I agree more with you. The Peters hate is starting to border on insanity.
Yeah, he had a bad season overall, but he definitely showed plenty of flashes of last season's form, particularly later in the season. You don't just cut a young, healthy, Pro-Bowl caliber OT.

As a Jets fan, I am totally disgusted, but geeze, it has to be worse being a Bills fan. Not trash talking or fishing, this move is just beyond belief. I'm happy we fired Mangini, but Jauron? He GAVE the Jets that game. The only difference btween Herm Edwards and Jauron is that Jauron is a likeable guy.

Wilson has to go. I have to wonder if any quality coach would consider the Buffalo job while Wilson is there.

Owners... look at Dallas, Washington, clueless owners, and Wilson is one of them... they all need a good GM to run the franchise, but they meddle too much. Norm was the wrong guy to bring back. Jim Kelly and Thurman Thomas are long gone, and so should Levy.Being a Jets fan sucks... but it could be worse, which is hard to imagine.

As for where to go with personnel, the stats and my eyes tell me that the defense is generally OK (14th in both points and yards allowed).However, I think a lot of the offense's problems are based on playcalling. Predictability and just plain stupid decisions at the worst times (Juaron's Jet game playcall comes to mind) killed way too many drives. Interior line play was consistently bad, the Bills definitely need to invest in some more young talent there, primarily at center. And QB play was wildly inconsistent, and this position directly cost us multiple games.As for the D, a pass rush would be nice, and would make what I think is close to being an elite defensive backfield shine. So the primary positions of need are, in approximate order:1. A starter-caliber QB to compete with Edwards for the starting job. No downside to adding another, and it will be necessary since there is no way Losman stays.2. A pass rushing lineman or two to replace the overpaid tandem of Kelsay/Denney.3. An interior lineman to help with the inside running game.
Help on the Front 7 is a must. Offensively (at least for 2009) as simplistic as it may sound it's just going to boil down to Edwards. There's nobody in the draft and there's no sense in bringing in a Ferotte or Holcomb stop-gap type imo. It's pretty unbelievable how hot he started with zero running game and his going in the tank coincided with the running game starting to perform well vs. Cleveland/SF, etc.

Apparently, I am the only Bills fan in the universe happy to see **** Jauron returning in 2009. Yes, I will readily concede that this year was extremely disappointing in how it unfolded, but everyone here also conveniently forgets the miracles Jauron performed in his first two seasons to get those undermanned teams to 7-9.

As Wilson mentioned in his press release, bringing Jauron back is important for the sake of continuity. More than any other group in the NFL, Bills fans should give some credence to continuity. Kicking Jauron out now would mean having the fifth new head coach in 10 years. Not only does this impede the development of all of the team's young players (which is the LAST thing we need at this point), but it also likely means a turnover of at least 2/3 of the roster. I've been through this three times already... this decade... and I can't take it again next year. I am not saying that this roster is infallible (more on this below), but Jauron is close to having a full roster of his style of players in place, blowing it up now would mean 2 or 3 more years of rebuilding.

It's been said a lot lately, but Jauron's players do play hard for him and this fact should not be overlooked when you look around the league (namely, Dallas, the Jets and other disappointing 2008 teams) and look back at the teams under our last three coaches. As I mentioned above, Jauron performed miracles in his first two seasons to get those teams to even sniff .500 ball. Those teams were the biggest overachievers in the NFL without question. 2008 was the only disappointing season in Jauron's tenure here, which leads us to...

Why was 2008 a disappointment? I would chalk it up two key issues: (1) atrociously bad play calling on offense, and (2) a severe lack of talent at a few key positions.

First, the play calling by Turk Schonert has to be the worst offensive play calling I have ever seen in the 20+ years I have watched the NFL (which says a lot considering some of the awful, awful o-coordinators the Bills have had in the last 13 years). Schonert failed in a few key areas. Schonert was brutally predictable in his run/pass formations to the point when at midseason we were running on 90% of the running plays from center and passing on 90% of the plays from shotgun (read the posts from earlier this year at buffalorumblings.com for the actual breakdown - the numbers are stunning). Although this trend was corrected in the second half of the season, the damage was done... namely, we had already dropped our first three division games and the confidence of young quarterback was (temporarily) shot as he was incapable of beating 8-man coverages (not unlie like any other QB in that situation). As has also been mentioned ad nauseum, the play calling in the redzone, short yardarge and crunch time situations was horrifically bad. When we needed to run, we passed. When we needed to pass, we ran. Without fail. And not to be overlooked, the simple act of getting the plays called in a timely manner was a constant problem for the offense the entire year.

For these reasons, I would be happy to see Schonert go and start new with someone else. I can live with having him back, however, for two big reasons -- (i) the continuity aspect, particularly for Edwards and all of the other young players, is imperative, and (ii) Schonert's actual passing schemes were a dramatic improvement over the two seasons under Fairchild. Given that Wilson himself has called out the issue of the play calling, I am confident that this will not be nearly as big of a problem for Schonert in 2009 as it was in 2008.

The other key reason for 2008's disappointing finish was the lack of talent at a few important positions. Namely, defensive end (on both sides), center, outside linebacker, tight end and second receiver. We simply did not have any legitimate starting NFL talent at these positions all year. The lack of pass rush from our ends severely hampered our pass coverage as we were constantly forced to blitz our linebackers or nickel CBs to create any pressure. Denney and Kelsay have played under three different coaching staffs at this point and they have been non-factors under each regime (they are also pretty bad against the run this season as well). A new coach will not get any further production from these guys... simply, this isn't Jauron's fault. With respect to Schobel, he has been the unsung hero for the Bills for most of this decade, but the fact remains that he is fairly old player at this point coming off of two lackluster, injury plagued seasons. To rely on him going forward for production anywhere near his playing prime would be silly.

As for center, the impact of Fowler's and Preston's poor play cannot be understated. These guys simply are not strong enough to play against big 3-4 nose tackles, which we happen to see quite a lot in the AFC East. Their lack of athleticism also significantly hampered our outside running game and passing screens as our centers, Preston in particular, could not effectively get to the outside. I would say that poor center play cost us at least three games this season alone with the first set of division games and the Cleveland game as the biggest examples.

And our problems at wide receiver and tight end have also been long documented to the point where I don't need to explain any further.

The end result for these deficiencies is that there is no coach out there that would have succeeded this season with these holes. You simply can't produce blood from a stone and we had too many stones this year. Cowher, Parcels, Shanahan, Billick or any other big name would not have fared any better with this cast. (Not to mention that Bills fans are delusional to think any of those names would actually go to Buffalo.) And as I mentioned above, a new coach would not stop at filling these holes, but would also replace a number of our quality starters and reserves at other positions to fill with that new coaches style of players. I would prefer to spend this off-season correcting only what needs to be fixed (i.e., a few key positions) than blowing it all and starting over - again.

One other quick point... I echo the earlier post that all of the Jason Peters hate has gotten to be absurd. He certainly did not do himself any favors with the holdout and he did have a couple agonizing breakdowns in pass protection (Losman's sack/fumble against the Jets being biggest), but he was by far and away our best linemen this year and still one of the best linemen in the league. Getting rid of Peters would mean throwing out our most talented player and returning to the revolving door at left tackle that we've had for the past 15 years. No thanks.

As for where to go with personnel, the stats and my eyes tell me that the defense is generally OK (14th in both points and yards allowed).However, I think a lot of the offense's problems are based on playcalling. Predictability and just plain stupid decisions at the worst times (Juaron's Jet game playcall comes to mind) killed way too many drives. Interior line play was consistently bad, the Bills definitely need to invest in some more young talent there, primarily at center. And QB play was wildly inconsistent, and this position directly cost us multiple games.As for the D, a pass rush would be nice, and would make what I think is close to being an elite defensive backfield shine. So the primary positions of need are, in approximate order:1. A starter-caliber QB to compete with Edwards for the starting job. No downside to adding another, and it will be necessary since there is no way Losman stays.2. A pass rushing lineman or two to replace the overpaid tandem of Kelsay/Denney.3. An interior lineman to help with the inside running game.
Help on the Front 7 is a must. Offensively (at least for 2009) as simplistic as it may sound it's just going to boil down to Edwards. There's nobody in the draft and there's no sense in bringing in a Ferotte or Holcomb stop-gap type imo. It's pretty unbelievable how hot he started with zero running game and his going in the tank coincided with the running game starting to perform well vs. Cleveland/SF, etc.
Assuming the play calling in 2009 is not as predictable as it was in the first half of 2008 (a safe prediction, I think, because it was corrected in the second half of 2008), I have no concern that Edwards will excel next season. His problems this year stemmed from being forced to constantly pass into 8-man coverages when defenses knew exactly what we were going to do. No quarterback would have succeeded under those circumstances. When defenses went back to playing us honestly (see the first four games of the year and the last two), Edwards was fantastic. Also, it cannot be understated as to how much Edwards covered up the deficiencies in our offensive pass protection. Just look at the sacks per game when Edwards is under center versus Losman. It's like night and day. I don't think people appreciate how good Edwards is at this point, particularly considering he has started just over a season's worth of games and still has a huge upside.

As a Jets fan, I am totally disgusted, but geeze, it has to be worse being a Bills fan. Not trash talking or fishing, this move is just beyond belief. I'm happy we fired Mangini, but Jauron?
:goodposting: It makes me want to puke knowing that Mangini wasn't good enough for the Jets, Shanahan wasn't good enough for Denver, but **** Jauron is apparently good enough for us.

I was starting to compile a little list about the ways in which this franchise has become a joke. We now voluntarily play only seven home games. We still don't know the terms of Jauron's contract extension (the Kremlin was more transparent than One Bills Drive these days). We retained a guy who turned in three straight losing seasons, got swept in the division, and has yet to win a single game against the Patriots. But really why bother.

Apparently, I am the only Bills fan in the universe happy to see **** Jauron returning in 2009. Yes, I will readily concede that this year was extremely disappointing in how it unfolded, but everyone here also conveniently forgets the miracles Jauron performed in his first two seasons to get those undermanned teams to 7-9.
I understand where you're coming from on this. I thought Jauron did a really good job last year to make it to 7-9 with our injury-depleted roster and a rookie QB. The events of this season permanently altered my take on this guy, though.
Why was 2008 a disappointment? I would chalk it up two key issues: (1) atrociously bad play calling on offense, and (2) a severe lack of talent at a few key positions.First, the play calling by Turk Schonert has to be the worst offensive play calling I have ever seen in the 20+ years I have watched the NFL (which says a lot considering some of the awful, awful o-coordinators the Bills have had in the last 13 years). Schonert failed in a few key areas. Schonert was brutally predictable in his run/pass formations to the point when at midseason we were running on 90% of the running plays from center and passing on 90% of the plays from shotgun (read the posts from earlier this year at buffalorumblings.com for the actual breakdown - the numbers are stunning). Although this trend was corrected in the second half of the season, the damage was done... namely, we had already dropped our first three division games and the confidence of young quarterback was (temporarily) shot as he was incapable of beating 8-man coverages (not unlie like any other QB in that situation). As has also been mentioned ad nauseum, the play calling in the redzone, short yardarge and crunch time situations was horrifically bad. When we needed to run, we passed. When we needed to pass, we ran. Without fail. And not to be overlooked, the simple act of getting the plays called in a timely manner was a constant problem for the offense the entire year.
I don't think Schonert was as bad a Steve Fairchild, but the fact that we're even having this discussion says a lot. When was the last time **** Jauron selected a quality OC?
For these reasons, I would be happy to see Schonert go and start new with someone else. I can live with having him back, however, for two big reasons -- (i) the continuity aspect, particularly for Edwards and all of the other young players, is imperative, and (ii) Schonert's actual passing schemes were a dramatic improvement over the two seasons under Fairchild. Given that Wilson himself has called out the issue of the play calling, I am confident that this will not be nearly as big of a problem for Schonert in 2009 as it was in 2008.
Maybe. It's worth noting that Schonert's playcalling in critical situations actually seemed to get worse as the season went along, not better. I'm not as optimistic about his continued development as you are.
The other key reason for 2008's disappointing finish was the lack of talent at a few important positions. Namely, defensive end (on both sides), center, outside linebacker, tight end and second receiver. We simply did not have any legitimate starting NFL talent at these positions all year.
I agree. Notice that several of the positions you mentioned (DE, C, TE) have been problems for the past several seasons. What have we done to address those problems? Any big free agent signings? Nope, Robert Royal was as splashy as it gets for us. Any early draft picks invested there? Nope. This is what happens when you have an entire franchise that just doesn't care. You bring in completely unqualified people to make personnel decisions, and the result is that you grossly overpay for people like Derrick Dockery while we still don't have a competent center.
Denney and Kelsay have played under three different coaching staffs at this point and they have been non-factors under each regime (they are also pretty bad against the run this season as well).
I think Denney and Kelsay are actually the same person. This is Ralph Wilson's clever way of only paying 52 salaries instead of 53.
A new coach will not get any further production from these guys... simply, this isn't Jauron's fault. With respect to Schobel, he has been the unsung hero for the Bills for most of this decade, but the fact remains that he is fairly old player at this point coming off of two lackluster, injury plagued seasons. To rely on him going forward for production anywhere near his playing prime would be silly.
What do you think the odds are that we open up the wallet during FA and bring in a top-shelf pass-rushing DE or OLB? We're not even close to the cap, so this should be easy, right?
As for center, the impact of Fowler's and Preston's poor play cannot be understated. These guys simply are not strong enough to play against big 3-4 nose tackles, which we happen to see quite a lot in the AFC East.
I foget which game it was, but one of the announcers pointed out that all our divisional opponents play a lot of 3-4, yet we don't have a center who can handle 3-4 NTs. Think about that for a second.
And our problems at wide receiver and tight end have also been long documented to the point where I don't need to explain any further.
What have we done to address those problems? We haven't had a decent WR2 since Peerless Price, and we haven't had a decent TE since Jay Riemersma. Under current ownership, we've made only token efforts to fill these positions. Yes I know we drafted James Hardy and made a half-hearted run at Tony Gonzales. An organization that was really committed to winning would try a little harder. Instead, we waste draft picks on safeties who talk big in the preseason and then get laid out on game day.
The end result for these deficiencies is that there is no coach out there that would have succeeded this season with these holes. You simply can't produce blood from a stone and we had too many stones this year. Cowher, Parcels, Shanahan, Billick or any other big name would not have fared any better with this cast.
All of the coaches you just mentioned would have won the Cleveland and Jets home games, so that gets us to 9-7 right there. You think a guy like Cowher maybe finds a way to beat SF? Maybe get a split with Miami? Good coaches win a game or two each year that they're supposed to lose. Our coach lost us two games that by all accounts we should have won. That's just inexcusable, IMO. It's not that **** Jauron fails to do anything extraordinary. It's that he actually manages to cost us games. He brings a negative value added to this team.
One other quick point... I echo the earlier post that all of the Jason Peters hate has gotten to be absurd. He certainly did not do himself any favors with the holdout and he did have a couple agonizing breakdowns in pass protection (Losman's sack/fumble against the Jets being biggest), but he was by far and away our best linemen this year and still one of the best linemen in the league. Getting rid of Peters would mean throwing out our most talented player and returning to the revolving door at left tackle that we've had for the past 15 years. No thanks.
I agree with this 100%. It's a joke that Dockery and Walker get paid so much more than him. Walker is okay, but this is a situation that I think can fairly be blamed on Marv. The reason why I'm so depressed about this isn't just that we're keeping Jauron around. That decision is inexcusable, but the state of our franchise is even worse than just that. We have an owner who doesn't care about winning. We voluntarily gave up a home game. We don't have a competent GM. We consistently do stupid stuff like putting guys on IR when they would othewise be available later in the season. Right now, the Bills franchise is officially broken. I have no confidence that anybody associated with this organization is capable of righting the ship, and it really sucks to be a fan of this kind of team.

IvanKaramazov said:
The other key reason for 2008's disappointing finish was the lack of talent at a few important positions. Namely, defensive end (on both sides), center, outside linebacker, tight end and second receiver. We simply did not have any legitimate starting NFL talent at these positions all year.
I agree. Notice that several of the positions you mentioned (DE, C, TE) have been problems for the past several seasons. What have we done to address those problems? Any big free agent signings? Nope, Robert Royal was as splashy as it gets for us. Any early draft picks invested there? Nope. This is what happens when you have an entire franchise that just doesn't care. You bring in completely unqualified people to make personnel decisions, and the result is that you grossly overpay for people like Derrick Dockery while we still don't have a competent center.
We should not forgot all of the other upgrades that were made in the last three off-seasons. We finally made a serious effort at shoring up the offensive line with the Dockery and Walker signings. Yes, they may have been overpaid, but they were still HUGE improvements over what we had there before. For the first time since the tail end of the Jim Kelly era, our offensive line is no longer in the bottom three in the league. Similarly, we have shore up our the perpetual problems in our offensive and defensive backfields and now have long-term answers with players like Edwards, Lynch, McKelvin, Whitner, etc. My point is that the front office has been so busy in the last three addressing all of the other holes in the boat that they have not yet had the opportunity to address DE, C and TE. And I don't the charge that the franchise doesn't care sticks. Ever since the Superbowl era, Wilson has shown a willigness to spend money on veteran contracts. In this decade alone, he has paid for high-priced players such as Fletcher, Spikes, Adams, Milloy and Bledsoe. And everyone conveniently forgets that Gregg Williams and Mike Mularky were among the hottest coaching candidates when they were hired. Not to mention that Tom Donahoe was considered one of the best front office men in the league when he was hired. Wilson has shown the willingness to field a winning team... it just has not clicked.

IvanKaramazov said:
A new coach will not get any further production from these guys... simply, this isn't Jauron's fault. With respect to Schobel, he has been the unsung hero for the Bills for most of this decade, but the fact remains that he is fairly old player at this point coming off of two lackluster, injury plagued seasons. To rely on him going forward for production anywhere near his playing prime would be silly.
What do you think the odds are that we open up the wallet during FA and bring in a top-shelf pass-rushing DE or OLB? We're not even close to the cap, so this should be easy, right?
Well, we did make the effort last season to bring in Mitchell at one of the OLB positions and we used a third round pick on Ellis to address DE, so the intent has already been shown to address these positions and I am confident they will attempt to carry through with that again this year. In terms of free agents at either position, I don't think much is available this year so we are probably better left addressing them in the draft. I am, however, optimistic that we can resign Crowell in light of the reports from Monday on his willingness to return. Assuming his knee is healthy, he would be a quick and cost-effective solution to the OLB issue.
IvanKaramazov said:
What have we done to address those problems? We haven't had a decent WR2 since Peerless Price, and we haven't had a decent TE since Jay Riemersma. Under current ownership, we've made only token efforts to fill these positions. Yes I know we drafted James Hardy and made a half-hearted run at Tony Gonzales. An organization that was really committed to winning would try a little harder. Instead, we waste draft picks on safeties who talk big in the preseason and then get laid out on game day.
The Hardy pick was, on paper at least, exactly the pick we needed to make. He was a tall, strong wide receiver that could play the outside. Of course, he has not panned out yet, but it was the right pick to make at the time. And we did not make a half-hearted attempt at Gonzalez. The Bills were offering more than other team out there and to have put more on the table (i.e., a second round pick and more) would have been ridiculous. Gonzalez was not a Bill because he vetoed the deal. As for the dig on Whitner, I understand the sentiment and I think his presence this season was vastly overrated, but I would chalk that up to being forced to play out of position (he should NOT be playing nickel CB) and his bum shoulder.

IvanKaramazov said:
The reason why I'm so depressed about this isn't just that we're keeping Jauron around. That decision is inexcusable, but the state of our franchise is even worse than just that. We have an owner who doesn't care about winning. We voluntarily gave up a home game. We don't have a competent GM. We consistently do stupid stuff like putting guys on IR when they would othewise be available later in the season. Right now, the Bills franchise is officially broken. I have no confidence that anybody associated with this organization is capable of righting the ship, and it really sucks to be a fan of this kind of team.
As I pointed out above, Wilson has shown a commitment to field a winning team through all of his forays this decade in bringing in big front office and player acquisitions. It just has not worked yet, but effort has certainly been there. I do agree, however, that the issue of a "competent GM" is troubling in that Brandon does not have the sufficient personnel background. Of course, this stems back to Wilson's unwillingness to repeat the Donahoe fiasco but I am willing to let Modrak, Guy and Jauron have at least one more offseason to show what they can do to improve the talent on the roster. Even despite the deficiencies at C, DE, TE, WR and OLB, the roster is STILL more talented now than when they took over three years ago.

As for "voluntarily giving up a home game", the fact is that the Toronto game brought in a hell of a lot more money than if they had played it in Buffalo. Strengthening the Bills' presence in Toronto is the best way to ensure that they remain rooted in Buffalo particularly since we are not getting a new stadium anytime soon and even if we were it would still not produce nearly the same amount of revenue as the Toronto game.

The optimism of the owner/coach is admirable but really difficult to share. The Fletcher/Milloy/Spikes/Bledsoe/GWilliams signings all have a common denominator of Tom Donahoe. He wasn't a good GM, but clearly he had say in personnel and lots of influence over Ralph in spending $. That 5 year period is not the norm in the 48 year history of the franchise. Ralph scoffs at the idea of selling naming rights of the stadium because it amounts to a "drop in the bucket" but that drop amounts to a lot more $ than the extra couple million it takes to pay for a top-notch coach. It makes no sense.

There are holes on the roster as you mentioned. The defensive performance this year given their talent wasn't bad - I agree.

Offensively a WR2 and TE would be nice but are not what I would call "key positions" relatively speaking - lots of teams get to the playoffs without these things when they have a serviceable OL, a couple good RB's, and a playmaking WR1.

The players do like him and play hard for him. That's great, but it's really more of a minimum requirement. How did that "run thru a wall" mentality help us vs. NE? What evidence is that they even had that mentality or that continuity was an asset? I don't need a yeller and a screamer like Ditka, but is anyone on the team sick and tired of losing to the Patriots? I guess Denver was a nice upset, but Denver wasn't as good as the '05 Bengals when we beat them at their place in December with nothing to play for. Did the players who hated Mularkey not play hard in that game?

Jauron is a CEO. He's not a guru on either side of the ball. He's a gentlemen, a delegator, not a dictator. That's fine, you can be successful doing that. But if you do take that hands-off approach, you have to be good at the little things: gameday decision making and clock management. Otherwise what purpose are you serving to the team? Jauron is only slightly better than Brad Childress and Herm Edwards in these areas - both NE games, the Cleveland game, and last year's Dallas game are proof - it's just not good enough.

Jauron is a CEO. He's not a guru on either side of the ball. He's a gentlemen, a delegator, not a dictator. That's fine, you can be successful doing that. But if you do take that hands-off approach, you have to be good at the little things: gameday decision making and clock management. Otherwise what purpose are you serving to the team? Jauron is only slightly better than Brad Childress and Herm Edwards in these areas - both NE games, the Cleveland game, and last year's Dallas game are proof - it's just not good enough.
With respect to the game day decision making and clock management, both of these problems stem directly back to Schonert. As I mentioned above, I am confident we will see positive improvement in these areas next year even if Schonert returns as Wilson made it explicit that these problems cannot reoccur. I do want to point out, however, that this coaching staff was very effective this year (and the last three years) at making necessary half-time adjustments on both sides of the ball. This really undercuts a lot of the "outcoaching" criticisms I believe.

I'm SICK,SICK, SICK. This is going to really hurt the Bills in Buffalo. I, for one, am not going to renew my season tickets. I know others who feel the same way. They seem to be doing things to create an atmosphere where the fans won't care whether the Bills move out of Buffalo. Putting an inferior team, with inferior coaches on the field when every one else in the division is making moves is not acceptable. Add the fact that they are moving home games to Toronto shows they could care less what the loyal fans think.
I'm confident that you hit the nail on the head. The Wilson family does not want the Bills when Ralph passes and are doing what they can to avoid long term success.

With respect to the game day decision making and clock management, both of these problems stem directly back to Schonert. As I mentioned above, I am confident we will see positive improvement in these areas next year even if Schonert returns as Wilson made it explicit that these problems cannot reoccur.
I just don't think that's true. I posted this after the 1st NE game this year on another forum.
1:30 left in the half, 4th&2 on villian's 39. 3 time outs left.Me: "Please go for it".Jauron: Sends punting unit on the field. NE does not stop the clock as it runs.Playclock is down to 1 second.Me: "OK, I disagree with punting, but I can accept taking a delay of game here and giving the punter more room".Time out Buffalo with 1 second on the playclock.Me: "OK, well they're obviously going for it now".Greg Gumble: And we're back from commercial.Me: "Wait is that Moorman on the field? This is a joke right?"Punt down'd at the 1 yard line.1st Down: NE run, time out Bills.Me: WTF?2nd Down: NE run, time out Bills.Me: WTF?3rd Down: Bellichick has Cassell takes a knee to kill the clock because he can. Guess who is out of time outs?Me: Goes to fridge and kicks up the alcohol level to a 9% IPA.
There's also thinking Dallas is more likely to throw a hail marry as opposed to a 10 yard out to put them in FG range with 8 seconds left. The guy is clueless, whoever his offensive coordinator is.

I think we are ultimately going to have to agree to disagree on the decision to bring Jauron back as head coach.

In an effort to steer this back to some common ground, who are the off-season free agents and draft prospects we can look towards? Specifically in the following positions:

DE

C

TE

SS OLB

Backup QB

WR2

I would like to see a veteran with starting experience brought in at QB, but not someone that will cause a controversy with Edwards and stunt his development. Kyle Boller might be a good fit assuming his shoulder is healthy.

I think we could find a quick solution in the SS OLB position if we resign Crowell and renew Ellison. Neither guy will be worldbeaters, but Crowell will bring back more athleticism to the position than what we had under Ellison, while Ellison could still serve as a reliable backup.

At the WR2 position, I would be willing to stand pat (assuming the other positions are addressed) and give Hardy and Steve Johnson another year to grow into the role. I know Hardy was disappointing this season, but his numbers were comparable with Moulds' rookie year statistics and he ended up being the second best receiver in franchise history. And Johnson turned out to be a very pleasant surprise showing good hands and a solid understanding of the offense during the second half of the season. And most importantly, the kid has the adequate size to the play the position.

In an effort to steer this back to some common ground, who are the off-season free agents and draft prospects we can look towards? Specifically in the following positions:WR2
Go after FA Housh ???? I think he'd compliment Evans beautifully. ;)

Even though I have to agree with the majority that Jauron shouldn't have been retained, (since when is 7-9 acceptable?), the team did play hard for him down the stretch. Just look at the Jets and and Bronco's games. In both games the team quickly fell behind only to come back in those games. That's impressive no matter what you say.

What also should be mentioned is the very bad moves that the team has done over the last few years, as in free agency. Spencer Johnson, a back-up at best to big bucks yet he hardly played and hardly contributed. Robert Royal to his contract yet he's only an average blocker and very poor receiver. Chris Kelsay to his deal.... etc...etc.

What needs to be looked at thru free agency and the draft ... two pass rushing DE's/OLB types, one preferably that can be the new 3rd DE who can slide inside on passing downs. They need a fast, athletic YOUNG playmaker at OLB. Sure bring back Crowell at a cheap price. They need a pass catching TE and a FB who can block and catch the short passes. They need a better C to anchor the OL. and of course they'll need to get a veteran QB who can tutor and perhaps push Edwards.

I think we are ultimately going to have to agree to disagree on the decision to bring Jauron back as head coach. In an effort to steer this back to some common ground, who are the off-season free agents and draft prospects we can look towards? Specifically in the following positions:DECTESS OLBBackup QBWR2I would like to see a veteran with starting experience brought in at QB, but not someone that will cause a controversy with Edwards and stunt his development. Kyle Boller might be a good fit assuming his shoulder is healthy.I think we could find a quick solution in the SS OLB position if we resign Crowell and renew Ellison. Neither guy will be worldbeaters, but Crowell will bring back more athleticism to the position than what we had under Ellison, while Ellison could still serve as a reliable backup.At the WR2 position, I would be willing to stand pat (assuming the other positions are addressed) and give Hardy and Steve Johnson another year to grow into the role. I know Hardy was disappointing this season, but his numbers were comparable with Moulds' rookie year statistics and he ended up being the second best receiver in franchise history. And Johnson turned out to be a very pleasant surprise showing good hands and a solid understanding of the offense during the second half of the season. And most importantly, the kid has the adequate size to the play the position.
FB is definitely a need in free agency. Hardy got hurt at the end of this year, and I doubt he will see the field next year, since knee injuries take a year. Someone on this board told me Crowell burned his bridges and won't be coming back. IMO the team needs a WR1 to shift Lee Evans to WR2. IMO a WR1 needs to be able to beat a double team, which Evans can't do. I wouldn't mind seeing Boller, but I think he probably thinks of himself as a starter still.

I think we are ultimately going to have to agree to disagree on the decision to bring Jauron back as head coach.

In an effort to steer this back to some common ground, who are the off-season free agents and draft prospects we can look towards? Specifically in the following positions:

DE

C

TE

SS OLB

Backup QB

WR2

I would like to see a veteran with starting experience brought in at QB, but not someone that will cause a controversy with Edwards and stunt his development. Kyle Boller might be a good fit assuming his shoulder is healthy.

I think we could find a quick solution in the SS OLB position if we resign Crowell and renew Ellison. Neither guy will be worldbeaters, but Crowell will bring back more athleticism to the position than what we had under Ellison, while Ellison could still serve as a reliable backup.

At the WR2 position, I would be willing to stand pat (assuming the other positions are addressed) and give Hardy and Steve Johnson another year to grow into the role. I know Hardy was disappointing this season, but his numbers were comparable with Moulds' rookie year statistics and he ended up being the second best receiver in franchise history. And Johnson turned out to be a very pleasant surprise showing good hands and a solid understanding of the offense during the second half of the season. And most importantly, the kid has the adequate size to the play the position.
FB is definitely a need in free agency. Hardy got hurt at the end of this year, and I doubt he will see the field next year, since knee injuries take a year. Someone on this board told me Crowell burned his bridges and won't be coming back. IMO the team needs a WR1 to shift Lee Evans to WR2. IMO a WR1 needs to be able to beat a double team, which Evans can't do. I wouldn't mind seeing Boller, but I think he probably thinks of himself as a starter still.
The severity of Hardy's knee injury is still unknown and only an extremely severe knee injury would keep him out next year. It was thought that there was zero chance of Crowell returning until this week when this report surfaced.

Ko Simpson just spent a night in jail...

Link

Simpson faces charges in South Carolina

Associated Press

Updated: January 2, 2009, 3:51 PM ET

COLUMBIA, S.C. -- Buffalo Bills safety Ko Simpson has been charged with hindering police after he refused to leave officers alone while they were arresting another man at a Rock Hill bar early Thursday.

Simpson was in a car that was speeding through the parking lot of the Celebrations bar about 2 a.m., police say. As officers tried to arrest the driver, a police report says Simpson kept yelling, "I'm Ko Simpson with the Buffalo Bills. I am worth millions!"

Officers asked Simpson to leave the parking lot, and he started to walk away, but then returned, yelling again.

Simpson was arrested and taken to the Rock Hill jail. He was freed on a $470 bond.
:lmao:

Ko Simpson just spent a night in jail...

Link

Simpson faces charges in South Carolina

Associated Press

Updated: January 2, 2009, 3:51 PM ET

COLUMBIA, S.C. -- Buffalo Bills safety Ko Simpson has been charged with hindering police after he refused to leave officers alone while they were arresting another man at a Rock Hill bar early Thursday.

Simpson was in a car that was speeding through the parking lot of the Celebrations bar about 2 a.m., police say. As officers tried to arrest the driver, a police report says Simpson kept yelling, "I'm Ko Simpson with the Buffalo Bills. I am worth millions!"

Officers asked Simpson to leave the parking lot, and he started to walk away, but then returned, yelling again.

Simpson was arrested and taken to the Rock Hill jail. He was freed on a $470 bond.
:kicksrock:
He won't be worth millions after the Bills draft Mays.

Buffalo Rumblings has an interesting defense of Turk Schonert's performance as offensive coordinator this past season.

2008 Buffalo Bills Yards per Passing Attempt

Billshomer_tiny by MattRichWarren on Jan 30, 2009 8:00 AM EST in Opinion

Another positive sign for Schonert, offense (buffalobills.com)

Yards per Pass Attempt (YPA) is what Cold Hard Football Facts calls a “Quality stat”. That means it directly correlates to wins and losses. It is a better determining factor in the W column than passer rating, passing yards, and TD passes. Here’s the entire reasoning for YPA being a key stat if you want to read about it.

One problem with yards per attempt is that it is not consistent across the board with the inclusion of sack totals. Do you count sacks as a passing attempt and therefore count the yardage and the called pass or just simply divide the passing yards by the passes thrown? I will do both for you in this article highlighted by a conversation our offensive coordinator, Turk Schonert, had with ESPN’s John Clayton last summer at training camp. The YPA will be shown as passing yards divided by attempts (while the numbers that include sacks I will put in parentheses). For example, Brian Galiford threw 100 times for 800 yards, a healthy 8 YPA. But Mr. Galiford also took 20 sacks for 200 yards. If you take the sacks into account his real passing plays stat line should read 120 pass calls for 700 yards, a modest 5.8 YPA, or a pretty big difference. For this article, I will show Brian’s stats like this: 800 yards (700) on 100 attempts (120). The higher attempt number is with sacks included, the lower yard number are with sacks included.

The 2008 Buffalo Bills

Last year during the Buffalo Bills’ training camp in beautiful Pittsford, NY, Turk Schonert made a bold prediction on the 2008 season’s yards per attempt. "Eight,'' Schonert told ESPN’s John Clayton. “If we can average 8 yards per attempt that puts you in the elite. You hit that eight mark, and you are one of the elite teams.'' The Bills averaged only 6.37 YPA (5.59 YPA with sacks totals included) in 2007 with Steve Fairchild calling the plays. Trent Edwards averaged 6.06 YPA (5.41 YPA) that year as a rookie, but a team needs to average better than 6.4 yards per called throw to put pressure on defenses according to Clayton.

Enter the 2008 NFL season and focus in on Turk’s prediction: 8 YPA. Trent Edwards averaged 7.22 yards per attempt (6.44 YPA), good for eleventh in the league according to ESPN.com. Either number is still the very number Clayton uses as the number to put pressure on defenses. It is over a full yard per attempt higher than the year before but doesn't reach the 8 YPA that Turk predicted. To me that is still a very impressive jump and it puts Edwards in the company of many Pro Bowl QBs. Clayton called his prediction a little high but not impossible.

Elite QBs Around the League

Only 2 QBs in the NFL reached that elusive 8 YPA marker in 2008; Philip Rivers at 8.39 YPA (7.67 YPA with sacks) and Matt Schaub (seriously), who had 8.01 YPA (7.18 YPA). Drew Brees was third with 7.98 YPA (7.68), Jake Delhomme had 7.94 YPA (7.28), and Matt Ryan threw for 7.93 YPA (7.40). Trent's average - 7.22 YPA (6.44) - was just above Peyton Manning's 7.21 YPA (6.88) without including sacks. Some names farther down the list are #30 Marc Bulger (6.18 YPA), #22 Brett Favre (6.65 YPA), #21 Eli Manning (6.76 YPA), and #19 Donovan McNabb (6.86 YPA).

Conclusions

What does this tell us? Well it tells me that as much as we might get on Schonert's case, he was much better at what he did than Steve Fairchild was. (I'm not surprised. Are you?) Not that that's saying much. Fairchild's teams never got close to that YPA number we achieved last year. The plays Turk called and the offense's execution made the passing numbers significantly better all across the board. In addition to the big jump in yards per attempt, we threw for 366 more passing yards, 2 more scores, and Trent's passer rating was 15 points higher. We also threw for 26 more first downs in 2008 than we did in 2007. (Just for you power rushing guys like me, we also rushed for more yards in 2008, twice as many rushing TDs, higher yards per rushing attempt, and more rushing first downs, too.)

I think we need to give Turk another chance here because as many have blasted him as less than innovative, he has shown that he can work with Trent and the offense to get results. If we can add pieces to the WR and TE corps, either with guys on the roster stepping up or new acquisitions, this offense can be something to be reckoned with while rushing or passing.

The Answer? Bills should chase Boldin

By Tyler Dunne

BFR Publisher

Posted Feb 10, 2009

It’d seem the Buffalo Bills are out of luck at filling their most dire need this off-season. Outside of T.J. Houshmandzadeh, the free-agent lot is nothing but a Dollar General store. Stop-gap solutions at best.

But the one hot topic sweeping through the league this week could fix this predicament. Granted, Ralph Wilson’s operation would need to abandon its age-old, penny-pinching tendencies.

Still, Wilson blamed Buffalo’s struggles on a lack of talent – thus the decision to retain head coach **** Jauron. If he holds true to his words, Buffalo could springboard into the Anquan Boldin bidding war. The void is painfully obvious every season. Lee Evans, while fast and explosive, isn’t capable of carrying the burden alone. He needs help. The draft hasn’t been sufficient – 2008 second-round pick James Hardy looked like nothing more than a basketball player on a football field as a rookie. And Josh Reed and Roscoe Parrish are fringe No. 3’s.

To avoid another season stock-full of three-and-outs, wasting great field position and Trent Edwards dump-offs, the Bills must land a marquee wide receiver this spring. T.J. Houshmandzadeh, as an unrestricted free agent, is likely to choose a contender - not a team that lost 8 of its last 10 games. And rumors say the Tampa Bay Buccaneers are leaning toward a putting a franchise tag on Antonio Bryant.

Which leaves Boldin as Buffalo’s only shot at curing its most pressing need. Shaun McDonald doesn't cut it.

Message boards and speculation hounds throughout Internet Nation have Boldin playing for almost every team next season. Everybody wants to be a G.M. at heart. But Buffalo – which coincidentally lacks a true G.M. per se – is a realistic destination. With the NFL’s healthy salary cap estimated to be $123 million, finances are not an issue. No matter how much we hear the “small town” excuse. The Bills can offer a whopping contract with the fifth-highest salary cap room in the NFL ($27 million) according to Yahoo and an unquestioned leading role in the offense…unless Evans somehow acquired 30 pounds of muscle and a desire to fight for the football in traffic.

If Boldin ignores this depressing article he may warm up to Buffalo too.

After catching 89 passes for 1,038 yards and 11 touchdowns in only 12 games last season, Boldin will draw mountains of trade proposals the moment Arizona makes him available.

According to the Arizona Cardinals’ official website (doesn’t get more serious than that, does it?), Boldin told his agent he will not re-sign with the Cards. He is expected to reject any re-negotiations with the team on his current deal that runs expires after the 2010 season. In short, Boldin is demanding a trade. He holds minimal leverage here with two years left on his current contract. But at the right price, Arizona is bound to listen. The Cardinals certainly aren’t hurting at the position. Larry Fitzgerald is best wide receiver in the game and Steve Breaston eclipsed 1,000 yards last season.

Trading Boldin for a high first-round pick to bolster the defense may be an intriguing option for the Cardinals.

Boldin has been dominant, regardless of who is at quarterback. Despite nagging injuries and catching passes from Jeff Blake (in his twilight) and Josh McCown among other one-read quarterbacks, Boldin has averaged 81 yards per game.

Trent Edwards is a revelation compared to Blake and McCown. Boldin would extract the best out of Edwards - decision-making, accuracy on short routes, etc.

It’s not rocket science. Boldin is precisely what Buffalo’s offense needs, that rare-breed physical freak that single-handedly opens up an offense. Boldin plays much, much bigger than his ripped 6-foot-1, 220-pound frame suggests and would certainly trigger Evans best attribute – eating up one-on-one coverage on the deep ball.

Traditionally, the Bills do next-to-nothing to aid their young quarterbacks. Going hard after Boldin would pump life into a franchise that’s been dragging its feet for a decade. If the Bills dangle the 11th overall pick to Arizona, the Cardinals will be tempted. Breaking the bank on one player sounds like a death sentence. But in this case, it could lift the Bills back into AFC East contention.
http://buf.scout.com/2/838299.htmlThey really need an impact pass rusher, but I would absolutely love to see Boldin on this team and I think he'd be a perfect complement to Evans. If Hardy can develop, that would be a sick group of receivers to go with Lynch and make this a very potent offense.

I don´t see Boldin going to Buffalo with either one of those clowns under center.

plus, Boldin may never want to play the Jets again, let alone twice a year...

So what would the Bills have to trade to get Boldin, their #11 overall pick? That seems to be a pretty steep price for a WR who will be 29 years old 4 weeks into the '09 season.

Last edited:
I don´t see Boldin going to Buffalo with either one of those clowns under center.
Edwards is a clown?
umm... yeah. Am I missing something?2008: 245/374 2699yds 11tds 10int 85.4 passer rating. The only posotive I see is his 65% cmp.
well, it was only his 2nd year in the league and look at the weapons he had to work with. seems far too early to write him off to me.
true, but I wouldn't consider Lynch and Evans mediocre talents. However, I'm not writing Edwards off by any means, I just can't see Boldin going out of his way to come to Buffalo.If it makes you feel any better, the Jets have 3 clowns now. I don't think Coles, Cotchery, Keller, etc... are exactly dancing in the streets at the prospect of those guys under center.

Edwards is a clown?
umm... yeah. Am I missing something?2008: 245/374 2699yds 11tds 10int 85.4 passer rating. The only posotive I see is his 65% cmp.
well, it was only his 2nd year in the league and look at the weapons he had to work with. seems far too early to write him off to me.
true, but I wouldn't consider Lynch and Evans mediocre talents. However, I'm not writing Edwards off by any means, I just can't see Boldin going out of his way to come to Buffalo.If it makes you feel any better, the Jets have 3 clowns now. I don't think Coles, Cotchery, Keller, etc... are exactly dancing in the streets at the prospect of those guys under center.
Boldin is not a Free Agent but is simply demanding a trade to get out of Arizona. Do you think he has the nerve to be picky about where he gets traded to if the Cards get what they want for him?

I just don't get it.

Career back-up UFA CB Jabari Greer wants to stay in Buffalo BUT he turned down a 4 yr deal worth $20 million?? First off why would the Bills tie up that much money to at best the #3 CB and secondly what the heck does Greer think he's worth? Stupid, stupid, stupid, on both sides. No wonder the Bills have been out of the playoffs for so long, when they make crappy deal (offers) like this.

Does anybody here honestly think the Bills will make a run at somebody like Boldin? Maybe I'm still just really down on this team after the Jauron fiasco, but I can't help but think that there's nothing but more Derrick Dockerys and Robert Royals in our future.

Users who are viewing this thread