What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

*** 2013 Oakland Raiders thread *** (1 Viewer)

Lots of needs for 2013.

Offensive Coach - Need someone with more imagination.

Cornerbacks - We dont have any under contract for 2013 yet. None! Those RFAs likely to return cant be counted on to start. Spencer could be brought back but he didnt work out the first time around. Huff is moving back to safety.

Defensive Ends (4-3 DE / 3-4 OLB) - Both Andre Carter and Shaughnessy are UFAs. Bringing back Carter looks like a priority but we could use some youth.

Defensive Tackles - Seymour's contract was voided due to missed games. Unless he'll play on a small contract I dont think he'll be back. Bryant is another UFA and he might opt for more money elsewhere. That makes DT one of our top needs.

Offensive Guard - Brisiel is one of the more likely salary cap casualties and Carlisle is a FA. Bergstrom and Nix are entering their second season and could compete for a starting spot. Will still need a to add a reliable starter if Brisiel is cut. We could add a center instead but its likely Wisniewski will stay there.

Middle Linebacker - McClain is still under contract but not for much longer. Gaither isnt good enough and he's also a FA. We need a starter.

Outside Linebackers - Wheeler is an UFA. Resigning him should be the number one priority as far as resigning our own FAs but that doesnt mean we'll reach an agreement.

Offensive Tackles - Barnes is another UFA. He could probably be resigned at a reasonable price but if we can afford to upgrade, we should. Backup Willie Smith is also a FA and not good enough.

Tight End - Myers is another UFA. His numbers last year will price him higher than his value. If another team wants him we will probably have to find a replacement.

Wide Receivers - Heyward-Bey's contract is set to inflate in 2013. It could be renegotiated or we could just go after someone else. Waiting for our WRs to develop has cost us a lot of games.

Punter - Lechler another UFA. We could use the franchise tag on him. We might already have his replacement under contract though. King was placed on IR after a strong 2012 training camp.

Punt Returner - Adams started the year and Moore finished it. Neither was impressive.

Depth - Need to upgrade our depth at several positions. Also we'll likely lose a lot of our own FAs. Guys like Mitchell, Hanson, Goodson, Giordano, Gaither, Leinart, and Hagan are all UFAs.

Last edited by a moderator:
Good write-up UK Coach! Some comments on your post:

Offensive Coach - Need someone with more imagination.
I would put Mike Mularkey at the top of the list for possible OC hires. Al Saunders should have had more influence on the offensive game plan this year, but it’s doubtful at his age that he’s willing to be the OC going forward. Mularkey is a proven OC and we should go after him hard if the Jags are stupid enough to fire him, which all signs seem to point to.
Cornerbacks - We dont have any under contract for 2013 yet. None! Those RFAs likely to return cant be counted on to start. Spencer could be brought back but he didnt work out the first time around. Huff is moving back to safety.
Our entire backfield was a giant whiff by Reggie Mck and staff. Not one of them is a keeper and Huff is a disaster at corner. I agree he needs to go back to the free safety role. Bartell & Spencer…see ya. We had some good young corners in Stevie Brown and Sterling Moore that have gone on to productive roles on other teams. We are still paying for some really dumb personnel moves from the previous era.
Defensive Ends (4-3 DE / 3-4 OLB) - Both Andre Carter and Shaughnessy are UFAs. Bringing back Carter looks like a priority but we could use some youth.
I’m hoping we draft at #3 overall Bjoern Werner who can play either 4-3 DE or 3-4 OLB. He reminds me of Jared Allen with his nonstop motor. Either that or trade down and net at least another 2nd rounder with a future 2nd rounder for the #3 pick. Werner is top of my list in the upcoming draft.
Defensive Tackles - Seymour's contract was voided due to missed games. Unless he'll play on a small contract I dont think he'll be back. Bryant is another UFA and he might opt for more money elsewhere. That makes DT one of our top needs.
I think Bryant is a key free agent we need to aggressively lockup. Seymour will not be missed. Reggie was counting on his veteran leadership to bridge the gap during the transition, but all he was looking for was to milk his contract dry. Good thing he missed all those games and Reggie built in that clause to protect him. Still Reggie sort of whiffed on that one, not blaming him though.
Offensive Guard - Brisiel is one of the more likely salary cap casualties and Carlisle is a FA. Bergstrom and Nix are entering their second season and could compete for a starting spot. Will still need a to add a reliable starter if Brisiel is cut. We could add a center instead but its likely Wisniewski will stay there.
I agree that Wiz needs to move over to guard. The left side regressed when they broke up the Veldheer-Wiz combo. Cooper should be sent to the glue factory. Brisiel was a complete washout FA signing. He should not be brought back. Time to scour free agency for a replacement. Not convinced that Bergstrom or Barksdale will ever be the answer. Allow them to compete but look to replace them with better players.

Middle Linebacker - McClain is still under contract but not for much longer. Gaither isnt good enough and he's also a FA. We need a starter.
I think Reggie McK is fooling himself if he thinks he’ll get anything in return for McClain, even with his cheap salary. Other teams are going to sit and wait for him to clear waivers. I don’t think it’s worth the hassle of dealing with his drama hoping for an extra 7th rounder. I liked the rookie Burris. He regressed as the season went on, but he’s still a solid piece to build on. Wheeler is a priority FA.
Outside Linebackers - Wheeler is an UFA. Resigning him should be the number one priority as far as resigning our own FAs but that doesnt mean we'll reach an agreement.
agreed.
Offensive Tackles - Barnes is another UFA. He could probably be resigned at a reasonable price but if we can afford to upgrade, we should. Backup Willie Smith is also a FA and not good enough.
I don’t want Barnes or Smith back. Both are easily upgradeable linemen.
Tight End - Myers is another UFA. His numbers last year will price him higher than his value. If another team wants him we will probably have to find a replacement.
Myers breakout season had more to do with an overall regression at the WR position and poor offensive coaching. He got a lot of cheap garbage stats as the checkdown receiver. His stats do not reflect his real value. I do not want him back for anything more than a nominal raise. Matter of fact, if decides to just leave for any reason, he won’t be missed.
Wide Receivers - Heyward-Bey's contract is set to inflate in 2013. It could be renegotiated or we could just go after someone else. Waiting for our WRs to develop has cost us a lot of games.
Heyward-Bey is due to make $7 million next year. He’s a very hard worker, dependable blocker, and sometimes adequate catcher. But you don’t pay that kind of money to a below average to middling wideout. He needs to renegotiate down to around $1.5M-$2M if he wants to stay. There is value to keeping him though as the veteran wideout of the group. Reggie needs to talk him down on his price.
Punter - Lechler another UFA. We could use the franchise tag on him. We might already have his replacement under contract though. King was placed on IR after a strong 2012 training camp.
I think at Lechler’s age (36) he may be willing to come of his number. No way should we franchise him. But King is a huge drop-off if we decide to go with him. He can boom punts but not as consistently as Lechler. I hope we can somehow reach a new contract with Lechler.
Punt Returner - Adams started the year and Moore finished it. Neither was impressive.
If Jacoby Ford comes back healthy, he needs to take on PR duties.
Depth - Need to upgrade our depth at several positions. Also we'll likely lose a lot of our own FAs. Guys like Mitchell, Hanson, Goodson, Giordano, Gaither, Leinart, and Hagan are all UFAs.
Except for Goodson, all the depth guys mentioned here should either be on the roster bubble or not invited to camp.

We need to get back to picking the best player available with our first round draft picks. Taking need over BPA netted us Russell over Calvin Johnson, Fabian Washington over Aaron Rodgers, and DHB. Its still early and the combine hasnt happened yet but I dont feel the BPA is going to be a CB. Right now there are two prospects that appear in just about every top 5 list out there. OT Luke Joekel and DT Star Lotulelei. If nothing changes that after the combine and one of those guys are there at number 3, we should pick him. After those two guys there is a group of about 5 or 6 players ranked pretty evenly and several of them would fill one of our big needs. Personally I think Chance Warmack is the safest pick in this draft and he'd be a huge upgrade for us at OG but guards are rarely picked that high. Werner is ranked all over the place and doesnt look like a good value at number 3. Guys like OLB Jones, MLB Teo, DE/OLB Moore, DE/OLB Mingo, DT Hankins, and the already mentioned Warmack are generally in the top ten. Werner might only be the 3rd or 4th ranked guy at his position, let alone overall. Some rankings dont even include Werner in the top ten. The combine will certainly shake the list up but right now I'm looking at getting the best of Lotulelei, Joekel, Jones, Warmack, Moore, or Teo. A QB or two will end up getting picked in the top ten but I sure pray it aint us picking one. CB Millener fills the biggest need but he doesnt look like a top 5 prospect to me. Again we need to think BPA. We should always think BPA and with so many holes to fill and no Manning or Luck in this draft its especially true this year.

Amen on drafting BPA, Coach.

Good thing is, whoever the BPA is, will also be a need. :P ..... :cry:

Here's a link to the best draft site out there, IMO, if anyone wants to waste some time:

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft

I really like the idea of trading down, but if one of these guys at the top of the draft is a stud defensive playmaker, I want that.

I think Reggie McK is fooling himself if he thinks he’ll get anything in return for McClain, even with his cheap salary. Other teams are going to sit and wait for him to clear waivers. I don’t think it’s worth the hassle of dealing with his drama hoping for an extra 7th rounder. I liked the rookie Burris. He regressed as the season went on, but he’s still a solid piece to build on. Wheeler is a priority FA.

You are prolly right about McClain, but I am still holding out hope we can get something for McClain. If he were cut is there a priority to claiming him? Or would he be completely unrestricted? I ask because if there was a priority a team like Dallas may be willing to give up a draft pick rather than gambling that the teams below them pass on McClain.

I don’t want Barnes or Smith back. Both are easily upgradeable linemen.

Agreed 110%! Barnes is effing terrible!

Heyward-Bey is due to make $7 million next year. He’s a very hard worker, dependable blocker, and sometimes adequate catcher. But you don’t pay that kind of money to a below average to middling wideout. He needs to renegotiate down to around $1.5M-$2M if he wants to stay. There is value to keeping him though as the veteran wideout of the group. Reggie needs to talk him down on his price.

Let him test the FA waters. Or restructure so that his contract is heavily incentive based.

Depth - Need to upgrade our depth at several positions. Also we'll likely lose a lot of our own FAs. Guys like Mitchell, Hanson, Goodson, Giordano, Gaither, Leinart, and Hagan are all UFAs. Except for Goodson, all the depth guys mentioned here should either be on the roster bubble or not invited to camp.

I would like to see us keep Hanson and Goodson from that list.

I would like to see us keep Hanson and Goodson from that list.
I'd love to get Mitchell back but he'll likely pursue a starting job somewhere else. I would attempt to bring back Hanson so that we dont have to start from scratch again at CB. I dont know how much money Goodson wants but he's an asset on special teams and in the backfield. He struggles to stay healthy but if we end up sticking with zone blocking we should definately try to keep Goodson. I'd continue to offer Giordano one year deals until a younger player is able to unseat him. Gaither's experience at two LB positions gives him some value but I'd like to see us add some depth/talent at LB in the draft. If we dont bring in another veteran WR then Hagan could return. We definately need to have someone to compete with Pryor for backup QB whether its Leinart or someone else.

One name mentioned on Sirius as an OC candidate was Pete Carmichael, the Saints current OC.
He doesn't have much experience as a play caller, but anything is a step up from Knapp.
Tell me if you haven't heard a variation of this before?From the 2012 Oakland Raiders offseason thread:

"hooray!....we got Jason Tarver as our new DC. Not much experience, but anything is a step up from Bresnahan...."

'Raiderfan32904 said:
'Raider Nation said:
'32 Counter Pass said:
One name mentioned on Sirius as an OC candidate was Pete Carmichael, the Saints current OC.
He doesn't have much experience as a play caller, but anything is a step up from Knapp.
Tell me if you haven't heard a variation of this before?From the 2012 Oakland Raiders offseason thread:

"hooray!....we got Jason Tarver as our new DC. Not much experience, but anything is a step up from Bresnahan...."
But this time it is true, it would be a step up from "Knapp Time". :thumbup: I don't blame Tarver for the defense this year. Lets be honest here, the defense is lacking serious talent on that side of the ball. It also doesn't help when our MLB goes crazy in the middle of the season.

Jerry McDonald ‏@JerrymcdMartz as Raiders OC would love Palmer's downfield arm . . . don't see him as a match for Pryor in any way

Jerry McDonald ‏@JerrymcdMartz as Raiders OC would love Palmer's downfield arm . . . don't see him as a match for Pryor in any way
Like I posted above, the Raiders personel isnt a good fit for Martz' system. You think Palmer can survive a 60+ sack season? This would be a terrible hire and the Raiders would be a virtual lock for another top three draft pick in 2014.

Like I posted above, the Raiders personel isnt a good fit for Martz' system. You think Palmer can survive a 60+ sack season? This would be a terrible hire and the Raiders would be a virtual lock for another top three draft pick in 2014.
Yeah, I disagree. :shrug:Our WR corps is one of the strengths of the team. Palmer in the gun with a spread attack will be very taxing on defenses. And if McFadden can ever stay healthy, he's perfect for the Marshall Faulk role. Our O-line is nothing to write home about, but they just need to be able to block for a 3-count most times.

Yeah, I disagree. :shrug:Our WR corps is one of the strengths of the team. Palmer in the gun with a spread attack will be very taxing on defenses. And if McFadden can ever stay healthy, he's perfect for the Marshall Faulk role. Our O-line is nothing to write home about, but they just need to be able to block for a 3-count most times.
No the Oline needs to be able to block 7 steps drops, which are longer than 3 count. RIP Palmer with this hire. Hello last place. AGAIN.

No the Oline needs to be able to block 7 steps drops, which are longer than 3 count. RIP Palmer with this hire. Hello last place. AGAIN.
Reggie forgot more football than you and I ever knew. He wouldn't waste his time interviewing Martz if he thought it was a bad fit.

Reggie forgot more football than you and I ever knew. He wouldn't waste his time interviewing Martz if he thought it was a bad fit.
Just look at Martz history. I am not simply giving an opinion. Look at the stats on sack ratio. Palmer is a dead man walking with a Martz hire. Also, I have to giggle at the comment about Reggie's football knowledge. I am willing to give him a long lesh but he hasn't done much to be considered a top notch GM.We will agree to disagree, but if the Raiders hire Martz we can revisit this and see who was right.

Also, I have to giggle at the comment about Reggie's football knowledge. I am willing to give him a long lesh but he hasn't done much to be considered a top notch GM.
Really?
Yes really. Maybe you can enlighten me as to what he has done that de serves the label top notch GM.
No, I mean REALLY???... We're going to judge his football knowledge based on one year overseeing a dreadful roster?C'mon.

Reggie is a rookie GM who took a team that had 2 consecutive 8-8 seasons and went backward in every way possible. Now I do give him some credit for tackling the impossible cap situation he inherited from Al Davis and the hamstrung position of those terrible trades. But Dennis Allen turned a once productive offense and bad defense into a horrible offense and even worse defense. So I agree that Reggie really isn't the yardstick for measuring GM proficiency. Not yet anyway.

Reggie is a rookie GM who took a team that had 2 consecutive 8-8 seasons and went backward in every way possible. Now I do give him some credit for tackling the impossible cap situation he inherited from Al Davis and the hamstrung position of those terrible trades. But Dennis Allen turned a once productive offense and bad defense into a horrible offense and even worse defense. So I agree that Reggie really isn't the yardstick for measuring GM proficiency. Not yet anyway.
Thank you for interjecting some reality into the conversation.

I don't know about it being a dreadful roster either. Who did we lose? Bush and Wimbley. Who did we gain, a healthy McFadden to finally play with Carson. Yeah our roster sucked, but not terribly different from the team of a year before.

I don't like the Martz chatter either. My money is on Mike Mularkey but somehow I doubt he will defer to a young rookie-ish HC like DA. It's tough to see the Browns hire away Chudzinski and he's got connections to bring in guys like Norv to run that part of the game. Does Dennis Allen have anybody of note that is ready to hitch his wagon to him? I hear that he's well regarded in the coaching community. But if Knapp is the best he could draw, I start to wonder....

I stand corrected. Reggie knows nothing about football.
:lmao: Hyperbole alert! That is not what we said at all. Only pointing out the errors in your williness to defer to Reggie's knowledge. Come on man. :yes:
We have a similar roster to the previous two seasons with a worse record.So we'll blame the new GM instead of the new coach? How does that work, exactly?
Hopeless situation, so hard to blame Reggie. But he did have the option of letting Seymour go and save $7.5 mill and he could have just stopped at franchising Branch instead of locking him up long term. Another curious decision was letting DA choose his staff when he was obviously not ready for that level of control.

:lmao: Hyperbole alert! That is not what we said at all. Only pointing out the errors in your williness to defer to Reggie's knowledge. Come on man. :yes:
We have a similar roster to the previous two seasons with a worse record.So we'll blame the new GM instead of the new coach? How does that work, exactly?
There is plenty of blame to go around, including people that are no longer breathing. You are obfiscating from your post about Reggie forgeting more football than we know. While that may be true, Reggie has done very little to be immune from criticism.Back to the point of this conversation, I say that Martz would be a terrible hire because of our personel.I would be very disappointed if the Raiders make this hire. But from a FF POV McFadden would become relevant again, until Palmer gets hurt.

I no longer am feeling McFadden as the long term solution. He's got some trade value and we can load up on picks or move back into the 2nd round, I'm aboard that plan. He's going into his contract year and if he busts out, we won't be able to afford him anyway. If he's injured again, think back on what that would be if we got that extra draft pick. We're rebuilding anyway.

There is plenty of blame to go around, including people that are no longer breathing. You are obfiscating from your post about Reggie forgeting more football than we know. While that may be true, Reggie has done very little to be immune from criticism.Back to the point of this conversation, I say that Martz would be a terrible hire because of our personel.I would be very disappointed if the Raiders make this hire. But from a FF POV McFadden would become relevant again, until Palmer gets hurt.
I'll show my cards:Whether our personnel is or isn't ideally suited for Martz's scheme, it's intriguing to me because he brings a buzz. I've said it a million times; if there's one thing I hate more than watching a losing football team, it's watching a BORING football team. We can guarantee not having to worry about the latter with Martz in town.

Thanks for breaking that down a lil and showing your cards. I find :tfp: interesting too. But I would much rather be relevant in January than not be boring. But boring definitely sucks, goodbye Knapp-time. :sleep:

I think Martz should retire. He has not been able to duplicate the success he had with the Rams anywhere else. I am not sure he will leave the Raiders in good shape after he out-wears his welcome either. I could still see Palmer putting up a good season or 2 in a Martz offense but despite that I do not see it going that well or ending well.I am hoping the Vikings steal Phillip Wheeler from you guys in FA. How much do you all think he is worth money wise? How much is he worth to the Raiders? More or less than the contract he will eventually sign?

I think Martz should retire. He has not been able to duplicate the success he had with the Rams anywhere else.
And I'm not about to blame him one bit for that. Let's look at what he was working with.2006/2007 - OC for two terrible Lions teams led by Jon Kitna.2008 - OC for the Singletary/Nolan mess, with Shaun Hill as his QB.2010/2011 - OC for the Bears. Finally had a decent QB in Cutler, but had no WRs and an all-time awful OL.I will gladly give him 2013 and maybe 2014 to see what he can do with a pretty talented nucleus.

I'll show my cards:Whether our personnel is or isn't ideally suited for Martz's scheme, it's intriguing to me because he brings a buzz. I've said it a million times; if there's one thing I hate more than watching a losing football team, it's watching a BORING football team. We can guarantee not having to worry about the latter with Martz in town.
What if "boring" footbal led to a winning record?! Competing for a divisional title? I will take boring with a winning record over buzz and a losing record every day of the week. And twice on Sunday!

What do you define as boring? Can you quantify it with numbers short of W/L?
You know... I'm just talking about exciting, atheistically pleasing football.'84 Dolphins'98 Vikings'99 Rams... to name obvious examples. I want to be one of those teams where it's appointment TV for fans of OTHER teams to watch us.

Hell, even these 49ers are exciting and they are largely a ground-based attack.It doesn't HAVE to be Martz. It doesn't HAVE to be an air assault. I'm just looking for some creativity.We were getting there with Hue, IMO.

Hell, even these 49ers are exciting and they are largely a ground-based attack.It doesn't HAVE to be Martz. It doesn't HAVE to be an air assault. I'm just looking for some creativity.We were getting there with Hue, IMO.
I agree we were getting there with Hue. First bad move by Reggie was canning Hue. The offense wasn't the problem heading into the 2012 season. Hue had a huge ego, but given less control and authority, Hue could have continued to run the offensive side of the ball and run it well. Was this just about 2 rooster not being able to coexist in the same henhouse? I dunno. But for a team that was just a disappointing loss to the Chargers on the final reg season game of 2011 from making the playoffs, Reggie went to far in blowing it all up to recreate it in his image. The transition was coming no doubt. But there was no reason for it to be so drastic. I'm lookin again at Reggie.

Martz would be good. We have many of the pieces to fit into a Martz offense. It was exactly the opposite when we hired Knapp. When we hired Knapp when took a deep ball gunslinging fast pace pocket QB and put him into a conservatively called slow moving short pass roll out offense. We had undersized speed WRs and made them run west coast routes. We had a RB and OL that had failed before at zone blocking. Now we are looking at coaches who can be successful with the players we have. That's a good thing. Martz also has a lot of experience both as OC and as a HC. With our inexperience at HC and DC we need that. My only concern with Martz is keeping Palmer healthy but that was already a concern.

Users who are viewing this thread