What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2013 Wr's to Keep an Eye on? (1 Viewer)

eefflrat

Footballguy
Never too early to look deep at depth charts and see who might be possible gems at wr. I have a list of 5 that I think could be very good breakout candidates, add your own and discuss:

Brandon Lafell...was on this list last year too, and had an OK year, but Cam came on strong down the stretch and Smith is yet another year older. I think this is a do or die year for him

Josh Gordon, I think we have all discussed

Andre Roberts- going into a contract year, had a nice start last year. but Arizona was a mess as usual and the kid struggled down the stretch. 25 year old

Kendall Wright---Had a very productive rookie season, and I think he has all the tools to be even better this year, with the loss of Cook I see Wright grabbing even more than he did last year.

Mohammed Sanu---Kid was never healthy last year, but he has great size and speed, and I see a lot of passing out of cincy this year.

I'll throw in a bounceback player...DeSean Jackson...Green mamba next year....

St. Louis might present an opportunity for Quick or Pettis.

New England lost both Welker and Lloyd. Amendola looks to replace Welker but it looks like there is opportunity for someone else in New England. Donald Jones may be that guy or maybe Edelman coming back or ???.

Miles Austin: I'm riding this bandwagon to the ground. Perhaps out of ignorance, I’m not ready to view his hamstring as a coffin nail. He is one of the more physically gifted WRs in the NFL, and has a stretch of top level production. The Dallas offense is a sleeping giant, if they can upgrade their offensive line.

St. Louis might present an opportunity for Quick or Pettis.New England lost both Welker and Lloyd. Amendola looks to replace Welker but it looks like there is opportunity for someone else in New England. Donald Jones may be that guy or maybe Edelman coming back or ???.
Givens as well. I'd take him over Pettis at this point.

St. Louis might present an opportunity for Quick or Pettis.New England lost both Welker and Lloyd. Amendola looks to replace Welker but it looks like there is opportunity for someone else in New England. Donald Jones may be that guy or maybe Edelman coming back or ???.
Givens as well. I'd take him over Pettis at this point.
I guess I did not include Givens because I felt he established himself pretty well last year but yes, he may step up even more. Who knows how things will shake out there but it looks like plenty of opportunity available.

Rueben Randle 21 years of age NYG...This guy is an athletic specimen and last year at the combine he ran a 4.48 forty at 6'4 220 lbs. I think many don't realize how great he can be. I think the Giants love Cruz and Nicks, but the fact they have dangled the potential of losing Cruz this off season may speak volumes of what they think they have in Randle. It does appear however, that Cruz will be back, but Randle flashed very good ability as a rookie. It looks as though Randle will be the clear cut WR3 in that offense. Nicks has never played a full slate of games and Randle would be big in any weeks either Nicks or Cruz perhaps do not play. What we have seen with the Giants is that the next guy up produces in that offense. Both Barden and Hixon have had good games in time fill roles. Randle ended off with a 4 catch 58 yard game and 2 td's in week 16. He also had a 6 catch 82 yard game in week 5 in a game that Nicks was out.

Now Randle is not a lock to get a lot of targets this year but he is still someone to keep an eye on.

Surface

Vincent Brown - If healthy he could lead the team in catches this season.

Greg Little - Improved the 2nd half of the year and I think he will provide more value than Gordon.

Marvin Jones - Solid route runner with good deep speed.

Michael Floyd - Provided a nice end of year game. I am a believer in Arians as I think it was amazing what he was able to do with the Colts offense last year. Floyd working with Fitz to improve and I think it will show this season.

Alshon Jeffrey - Another second year player who could make strides. New coach likes to throw the ball.

Juron Criner/Rod Streater - I think one of these guys takes a step forward...which one?

Joe Morgan - Deep speed and has Brees tossing nuggets at him.

Stephen Hill - He was very raw. I dont have a lot faith he will develop this quickly but he has some elite characteristics.

Deeper

Arrelious Benn - Sure I butchered his first name. Now with Philly maybe he puts something together. I always liked his skillset.

Rueben Randle 21 years of age NYG...This guy is an athletic specimen and last year at the combine he ran a 4.48 forty at 6'4 220 lbs. I think many don't realize how great he can be. I think the Giants love Cruz and Nicks, but the fact they have dangled the potential of losing Cruz this off season may speak volumes of what they think they have in Randle. It does appear however, that Cruz will be back, but Randle flashed very good ability as a rookie. It looks as though Randle will be the clear cut WR3 in that offense. Nicks has never played a full slate of games and Randle would be big in any weeks either Nicks or Cruz perhaps do not play. What we have seen with the Giants is that the next guy up produces in that offense. Both Barden and Hixon have had good games in time fill roles. Randle ended off with a 4 catch 58 yard game and 2 td's in week 16. He also had a 6 catch 82 yard game in week 5 in a game that Nicks was out.Now Randle is not a lock to get a lot of targets this year but he is still someone to keep an eye on.
I like the call.

The Colts are working out Darrius Bey. This could be a nice signing. Bey needs to be with a more stable franchise..also with Reggie Wayne as a mentor Bey could thrive here.

The Colts are working out Darrius Bey. This could be a nice signing. Bey needs to be with a more stable franchise..also with Reggie Wayne as a mentor Bey could thrive here.
It's not the previous franchise, guy is a stiff, buyer beware ...

Chris Givens is a player that I'd be looking at in redraft and dynasty as a possible breakout candidate. He showed a lot of potential as a rookie and plays on a team with no other viable WR options. It's pretty clear that he can make big plays downfield. If he can improve on the short and intermediate stuff, he could be the next Greg Jennings.

Rueben Randle 21 years of age NYG...last year at the combine he ran a 4.48 forty at 6'4 220 lbs.
:unsure: I like Randle, but he's no workout warrior. Agree that he could potentially replace Nicks though.
I did not say he was a work out warrior. Just saying he flashed some big potential.Also the 4.48 was unoffcial. It was indeed the 4.55.Someone else pointed out that Cruz and Randle are not similar. This is very much true. Randle is an outside WR, while Cruz is more suited to the slot.

Surface

Vincent Brown - If healthy he could lead the team in catches this season.

Greg Little - Improved the 2nd half of the year and I think he will provide more value than Gordon.

Marvin Jones - Solid route runner with good deep speed.

Michael Floyd - Provided a nice end of year game. I am a believer in Arians as I think it was amazing what he was able to do with the Colts offense last year. Floyd working with Fitz to improve and I think it will show this season.

Alshon Jeffrey - Another second year player who could make strides. New coach likes to throw the ball.

Juron Criner/Rod Streater - I think one of these guys takes a step forward...which one?

Joe Morgan - Deep speed and has Brees tossing nuggets at him.

Stephen Hill - He was very raw. I dont have a lot faith he will develop this quickly but he has some elite characteristics.

Deeper

Arrelious Benn - Sure I butchered his first name. Now with Philly maybe he puts something together. I always liked his skillset.
+1

Greg Little - Improved the 2nd half of the year and I think he will provide more value than Gordon. Marvin Jones - Solid route runner with good deep speed. Michael Floyd - Provided a nice end of year game. I am a believer in Arians as I think it was amazing what he was able to do with the Colts offense last year. Floyd working with Fitz to improve and I think it will show this season.Stephen Hill - He was very raw. I dont have a lot faith he will develop this quickly but he has some elite characteristics.
:no: I would be surprised if more than 0-1 of these make a decent impact in the near future. Flyer material only.

Last edited by a moderator:
Greg Little - Improved the 2nd half of the year and I think he will provide more value than Gordon. Marvin Jones - Solid route runner with good deep speed. Michael Floyd - Provided a nice end of year game. I am a believer in Arians as I think it was amazing what he was able to do with the Colts offense last year. Floyd working with Fitz to improve and I think it will show this season.Stephen Hill - He was very raw. I dont have a lot faith he will develop this quickly but he has some elite characteristics.
:no: I would be surprised if more than 0-1 of these make a decent impact in the near future. Flyer material only.
Maybe I misunderstood the thread. Sorry to provide bad information.

Not a sleeper by any means but I think antonio brown is being underrated. If healthy I think hes a lock for 150 targets.
Difficult to say who's really being overlooked or underrated at this point. I'm keeping an eye on Donald Jones in NE if he makes the team and end sup starting on the outside. I really like his athleticism and talent and he could be dangerous with Brady, and plus Gronk, Hernandez and Amendola have all missed games in recent years so there's a decent chance that Jones could benefit from an injury. I'm also keeping an eye on a couple of SD WR's, Vincent Brown and Danario Alexander. Rivers is not what he sued to be, but with Gates regressing and often injured, I expect there to be some solid WR value in SD since none of them are really big names. Danario Alexander has the most upside of the group if healthy and definitely someone I'll be targeting in all leagues if available in the later rounds.

Maybe I misunderstood the thread. Sorry to provide bad information.
No, you didn't. Ignore the criticism above – The thread is for deep WR gems/flyers. The guys you listed were solid contributions. Just by the nature of the topic, the majority of guys mentioned in here will end up being misses instead of hits.

Miles Austin: I'm riding this bandwagon to the ground. Perhaps out of ignorance, I’m not ready to view his hamstring as a coffin nail. He is one of the more physically gifted WRs in the NFL, and has a stretch of top level production. The Dallas offense is a sleeping giant, if they can upgrade their offensive line.
I agree with you, but we know Jerry isn't going to upgrade the line, and Bryant was clearly the guy Romo locked in on at the end of the season. I still regret not cashing in my chips early on Austin last year. His mid season split is disturbing: 41/637/4 vs. 25/306/2 while Dez was pretty much the opposite: 42/503/2 vs. 50/879/10.I could probably be convinced to give Miles another shot, but that hasn't happened yet.

I agree with you, but we know Jerry isn't going to upgrade the line, and Bryant was clearly the guy Romo locked in on at the end of the season. I still regret not cashing in my chips early on Austin last year. His mid season split is disturbing: 41/637/4 vs. 25/306/2 while Dez was pretty much the opposite: 42/503/2 vs. 50/879/10.I could probably be convinced to give Miles another shot, but that hasn't happened yet.
Dez is clearly the top target and the Cowboy WR to own moving forward. But Miles Austin still finished last season as a WR2, despite being hampered all season due to his injury. I can see top 20-15 numbers if healthy, despite the targets going to Witten and Dez. And if Jerry doesn't upgrade the line... :wall:

No one has said Tandon Doss with the departure of Boldin?

I personally like Jacoby Jones in this situation, but Doss could step up and start there.

No one has said Tandon Doss with the departure of Boldin?I personally like Jacoby Jones in this situation, but Doss could step up and start there.
When Doss was drafted, I thought he was the IDEAL Boldin replacement. And since I have been forced to cut him during the two years I have been waiting for him, it is probably an automatic that he emerges this year. :)

Rueben Randle 21 years of age NYG...last year at the combine he ran a 4.48 forty at 6'4 220 lbs.
:unsure: I like Randle, but he's no workout warrior. Agree that he could potentially replace Nicks though.
I did not say he was a work out warrior. Just saying he flashed some big potential.Also the 4.48 was unoffcial. It was indeed the 4.55.Someone else pointed out that Cruz and Randle are not similar. This is very much true. Randle is an outside WR, while Cruz is more suited to the slot.
He ran a 4.43 at his Pro Day. Physically, Randle is a poor man's A.J. Green but he doesn't attack the ball like Green and seems more of a possession receiver than a true #1. Great situation though if Nicks or Cruz leave town.

No one has said Tandon Doss with the departure of Boldin?I personally like Jacoby Jones in this situation, but Doss could step up and start there.
When Doss was drafted, I thought he was the IDEAL Boldin replacement. And since I have been forced to cut him during the two years I have been waiting for him, it is probably an automatic that he emerges this year. :)
What about Tommy Streeter? Was on IR this year, but he's 6'5" and can fly. Gotta be some upside there, right? ETA: Not really a Boldin replacement, but nonetheless, I think he's intriguing.

The teams I'd look at are:

New Orleans Saints

New England Patriots

Detroit Lions

Indianapolis Colts

Oakland Raiders

Pittsburgh Steelers

Baltimore Ravens

Seattle Seahawks

St. Louis Rams

San Diego Chargers

Cleveland Browns

Miami Dolphins

New York Jets

Those are the teams who don't have an established WR1, or who have a good enough passing offense to support multiple top fantasy WRs and don't have an established WR corps.

Next tier of teams to look at, applying the same standard (but more loosely):

Dallas Cowboys

Tampa Bay Buccaneers

New York Giants

Washington Redskins

Carolina Panthers

San Francisco 49ers

Philadelphia Eagles

Tennessee Titans

Minnesota Vikings

He ran a 4.43 at his Pro Day. Physically, Randle is a poor man's A.J. Green but he doesn't attack the ball like Green and seems more of a possession receiver than a true #1. Great situation though if Nicks or Cruz leave town.
Randle should attempt to perfect his intermediate route tree, as I find it unlikely he gets behind defenses time and time again when he is the WR1/2 on his team and not situational WR3 against weak DB play. He's not a jump ball guy and not the best ball tracker, although serviceable. You already alluded to these but I am wondering where you see his game is worthy of the AJ compare.

Josh Gordon, Cecil Shorts and T.Y Hilton are my mid round guys that I believe have WR1 upside. Been taking them in mocks all offseason.

:unsure: I like Randle, but he's no workout warrior.

Agree that he could potentially replace Nicks though.
I did not say he was a work out warrior. Just saying he flashed some big potential.Also the 4.48 was unoffcial. It was indeed the 4.55.

Someone else pointed out that Cruz and Randle are not similar. This is very much true. Randle is an outside WR, while Cruz is more suited to the slot.
Randle should attempt to perfect his intermediate route tree, as I find it unlikely he gets behind defenses time and time again when he is the WR1/2 on his team and not situational WR3 against weak DB play. He's not a jump ball guy and not the best ball tracker, although serviceable. You already alluded to these but I am wondering where you see his game is worthy of the AJ compare.
I'm referring to size and measurables. Randle is not like Green as a player but he's also very young (the same age as a JR that Green was as a FR) and I don't think we've seen the best from him.

Doss doesn't have Boldin's hands and doesn't play anywhere near as physical.

'JPeso said:

I did not say he was a work out warrior. Just saying he flashed some big potential.Also the 4.48 was unoffcial. It was indeed the 4.55.

Someone else pointed out that Cruz and Randle are not similar. This is very much true. Randle is an outside WR, while Cruz is more suited to the slot.
I disagree there. I think he had a couple of nice plays this year where he attacked the ball and made great catches in traffic.
What part of that video do you not like for a 21 year old rookie? He only received 32 targets as a rookie but managed to rack up 300 yards receving and 3 td's in limited work. He was also good in punt return duty and his nice RAC ability. I am giddy about him as WR 1 potential in the NFL and in fantasy down the road. I think it is only a matter of when not if.

I disagree there. I think he had a couple of nice plays this year where he attacked the ball and made great catches in traffic.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Zr4Q_MNFsoWhat part of that video do you not like for a 21 year old rookie? He only received 32 targets as a rookie but managed to rack up 300 yards receving and 3 td's in limited work. He was also good in punt return duty and his nice RAC ability. I am giddy about him as WR 1 potential in the NFL and in fantasy down the road. I think it is only a matter of when not if.
I do see ball skills, but I don't see elite explosion, speed or strength. Player grade looks like a B at best in that reel, but his situation would be an A, if either Nicks or Cruz somehow leaves the picture. In that scenario I could see this guy as a solid fantasy WR2 or even borderline WR1. There are definitely more talented WRs in this league, but situation plays as big a role in fantasy.

I disagree there. I think he had a couple of nice plays this year where he attacked the ball and made great catches in traffic.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Zr4Q_MNFsoWhat part of that video do you not like for a 21 year old rookie? He only received 32 targets as a rookie but managed to rack up 300 yards receving and 3 td's in limited work. He was also good in punt return duty and his nice RAC ability. I am giddy about him as WR 1 potential in the NFL and in fantasy down the road. I think it is only a matter of when not if.
I do see ball skills, but I don't see elite explosion, speed or strength. Player grade looks like a B at best in that reel, but his situation would be an A, if either Nicks or Cruz somehow leaves the picture. In that scenario I could see this guy as a solid fantasy WR2 or even borderline WR1. There are definitely more talented WRs in this league, but situation plays as big a role in fantasy.
Thanks for the response.He is not truly elite by some standards in which I would agree with. I do however believe that there is enough there to be considered elite with more reps and playing time. I also agree that situation plays a vital role in fantasy and his is one that could be very good earlier than later.

Lestar Jean in Houston?

Walter's gone now.

Also - what happens in Pittsburgh if both Wallace and Sanders are gone?

'Wise Old Owl said:

I personally like Jacoby Jones in this situation, but Doss could step up and start there.
I think you need to go back and watch some IU games. I think you may be evaluating him based solely on his time with the Ravens where he was pretty much hurt all his rookie year and had to deal with the lockout impeding his training and recovery and has not had a chance to play on a consistent basis so far. Doss has great hands. The physical part I won't comment on because back in the day saying anyone outside of T.O. or Ward played as physical as Boldin was like saying, "yeah, he's good but he just doesn't put on a show like Jordan..."who does?

You're also leaving out the other important stuff: He's smart, runs good routes, and was a humble, hard-working kid coming out.

Not my word's but here's the 1st search return I clicked on from NFL's draft analysis:

Pick Analysis: Ozzie Newsome continues to add explosive weapons to the Ravens' receiving corps with the selection of Doss. He is a rangy pass catcher with outstanding hands and ball skills. He has big-time ability and could provide a tremendous jolt to their passing game.

Doss has the size and speed measurables, hands, savvy, and mentality to develop into a starting NFL wide receiver and potentially a go-to guy. Gets open underneath with polished route-running and good quickness. Eats up cushions in a hurry with elite burst off the line, has the straight-lined speed to get vertical, and the ball skills to track the football. Can make some plays in space. Very willing and productive over the middle and can catch the ball in a crowd. Hard-working, mature player who lets his play on the field do his talking. Doss is an early second round prospect.

I think you might gain a better appreciation if you give him another look.

Not a sleeper by any means but I think antonio brown is being underrated. If healthy I think hes a lock for 150 targets.
Difficult to say who's really being overlooked or underrated at this point. I'm keeping an eye on Donald Jones in NE if he makes the team and end sup starting on the outside. I really like his athleticism and talent and he could be dangerous with Brady, and plus Gronk, Hernandez and Amendola have all missed games in recent years so there's a decent chance that Jones could benefit from an injury. I'm also keeping an eye on a couple of SD WR's, Vincent Brown and Danario Alexander. Rivers is not what he sued to be, but with Gates regressing and often injured, I expect there to be some solid WR value in SD since none of them are really big names. Danario Alexander has the most upside of the group if healthy and definitely someone I'll be targeting in all leagues if available in the later rounds.
I doubt Jones will have a big role for NE. They clearly will add WR help moving forward. I suspect they are running out the clock on PIT and will wait until the last second to sign Sanders to an offer sheet. I think Edelman ends up returning, and I also think they draft a WR early. I wouldn't say Lloyd is completely out of the picture either. The only think we know is that they will not stick with only the guys they have. I doubt we will really know who makes the roster until just before the final roster cuts. Jones has no guaranteed money in his contract and the Pats would not take a salary cut if they released him by opening day.Also sounds like Hernandez will see even more time at WR and Ballard will be in on true 2 TE sets. I believe they will have sets with Gronk, Ballard, and Hernandez on the field with Amendola and a single back (or Hernandez starting in the backfield). From there, they could run or pass and would most likely be hard to stop whatever they wanted to do. I definitely see them adjusting the offense to have longer, sustained drives to burn clock and limit the minutes played by the defense. I also think they will try to lessen the responsibility on Brady some if they can. But they also have been known to run their crazy hurry up offense, which is great when they are clicking but a liability when they are not.

'Wise Old Owl said:

I think you need to go back and watch some IU games. I think you may be evaluating him based solely on his time with the Ravens where he was pretty much hurt all his rookie year and had to deal with the lockout impeding his training and recovery and has not had a chance to play on a consistent basis so far. Doss has great hands. The physical part I won't comment on because back in the day saying anyone outside of T.O. or Ward played as physical as Boldin was like saying, "yeah, he's good but he just doesn't put on a show like Jordan..."who does?

You're also leaving out the other important stuff: He's smart, runs good routes, and was a humble, hard-working kid coming out.

Not my word's but here's the 1st search return I clicked on from NFL's draft analysis:

Pick Analysis: Ozzie Newsome continues to add explosive weapons to the Ravens' receiving corps with the selection of Doss. He is a rangy pass catcher with outstanding hands and ball skills. He has big-time ability and could provide a tremendous jolt to their passing game.

Doss has the size and speed measurables, hands, savvy, and mentality to develop into a starting NFL wide receiver and potentially a go-to guy. Gets open underneath with polished route-running and good quickness. Eats up cushions in a hurry with elite burst off the line, has the straight-lined speed to get vertical, and the ball skills to track the football. Can make some plays in space. Very willing and productive over the middle and can catch the ball in a crowd. Hard-working, mature player who lets his play on the field do his talking. Doss is an early second round prospect.

I think you might gain a better appreciation if you give him another look.
I'm reluctant to hype up a guy like Doss until the draft comes and goes. There are too many bullets to dodge.Someone like Da'Rick Rogers or Chris Harper would be a perfect Raven and a great replacement for Boldin.

Lestar Jean in Houston?

Walter's gone now.

Also - what happens in Pittsburgh if both Wallace and Sanders are gone?
Jean is now the de facto #2 WR in Houston. Assuming Houston takes a rookie WR early, Jean will hold that position until the rookie is up and running and displaces him. Considering Posey didn't get into the lineup until the end of last season, I would expect that the Texans will not rush whoever they select into the lineup. Jean will probably be the #2 for the most of the year IMO - but that hasn't held much fantasy value in the past. Long term I still think Jean is AJ's successor (but that could be 3-4 years away)

What about Tommy Streeter? Was on IR this year, but he's 6'5" and can fly. Gotta be some upside there, right? ETA: Not really a Boldin replacement, but nonetheless, I think he's intriguing.
Tori Gurley, Deonte Thompson, and LaQuan Williams will all compete there as well. Baltimore has a good crop of young WR's with potential

'JPeso said:

I disagree there. I think he had a couple of nice plays this year where he attacked the ball and made great catches in traffic.
Please don't mistake my comment about a certain post to mean I like or dislike a player.

Flying way under the radar....

Jacoby Ford. Dude came out firing as a rookie, and has disappeared for the past 2 seasons due to a lingering foot injury. Assuming he is healthy and can regain that sub 4.4 speed, he could be a steal this year. Seems like a forgotten man.

another name to keep an eye on:

Nick Toon, Saints

good offense, good QB, I've seen Joe Morgan's name, but Toon could be worth a look if he finds a role in that offense. He missed all of his 2012 rookie season.

Users who are viewing this thread