What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2014 ACC Basketball [Closed - use 2015 thread instead] (1 Viewer)

do you think the ACC will stick with 15, or go for 16?any speculation on how the hoops schedule and/or ACCT would be impacted?
I've heard rumors they're thinking about adding a hoops-only school like Georgetown or 'Nova.
I think UCONN is on deck.God I hate what the ACC has become.THe Swoff is beyond putrid.
As a UConn alum, the feeling is more than mutual. Everything is obviously dictated by money.

do you think the ACC will stick with 15, or go for 16?any speculation on how the hoops schedule and/or ACCT would be impacted?
I've heard rumors they're thinking about adding a hoops-only school like Georgetown or 'Nova.
I think UCONN is on deck.God I hate what the ACC has become.THe Swoff is beyond putrid.
Hate to tell you this, but if they didn't make these moves, FSU, Clemson, VT and Miami would've gone away and you would've been left with the same conference you had 50 years ago. Would have been unsustainable.

Hate to tell you this, but if they didn't make these moves, FSU, Clemson, VT and Miami would've gone away and you would've been left with the same conference you had 50 years ago. Would have been unsustainable.
:lmao:

What's incorrect there, stupid?

The highlight of the press conference has been the Holden Thorp-UNC-academic jokes flying around twitter. He must be really good at something, but his tone deafness to the PR side of his job given the events of the past few years continues to amaze me.

And the same goes for Swofford. Having the press conference in Chapel Hill was a stupid decision. And if Notre Dame is not joining in football, why have it at Kenan Stadium?

The swoffs bias shows yet again.
Just saw a tweet that Thorp is the current chair of the council of ACC presidents, so the meeting for all of this was being held in Chapel Hill. There is some logic there, but I think it might have made more sense to take the press conference to Duke or State or the Greensboro office of teh ACC.

'NMYMND said:
'pantherclub said:
Just saw a tweet that Thorp is the current chair of the council of ACC presidents, so the meeting for all of this was being held in Chapel Hill. There is some logic there, but I think it might have made more sense to take the press conference to Duke or State or the Greensboro office of teh ACC.
That would make too much sense

'Premier said:
'Ramblin Wreck said:
'Premier said:
'pantherclub said:
'Good said:
'oso diablo said:
Love how you're the most ignorant poster on these forums but love to attack others. What's incorrect?1. Va Tech spent half a century trying to get into the ACC. They aren't going anywhere. They've never considered going anywhere. They've publicly stated that many times instead of pulling the "no comment" card.2. Clemson never considered going anywhere. Sure a few fans got their panties in a wad because someone said they could make a boatload of money in the Big 12. The president and Dabo have both said many times that Clemson's home is the ACC and playing football in the Big 12 would be a disaster. Again, Clemson fans aren't tractoring up Lawrence, Manhattan, Ames, or Stillwater.3. FSU never considered going to the Big 12. Sure a BOT guy shot off his mouth but once the real decision makers there looked at the numbers they quickly realized there is no pot of gold sitting in the midwest somewhere. FSU has probably begged the SEC behind closed doors for an invite but that door was quickly slammed. FSU adds nothing to the SEC and would be a disaster in the Big 12 for the same reasons Clemson would be.The Notre Dame thing didn't save the ACC from losing FSU or anyone else. The ND thing has been in the works for years because it's a natural fit with ACC schools.

'NMYMND said:
'pantherclub said:
You think they should move a press conference down the road a ways just so the rabid UNC-haters on the internet can't crack jokes? A- it won't stop them, and B- who cares?

'Premier said:
'Ramblin Wreck said:
'Premier said:
'pantherclub said:
'Good said:
'oso diablo said:
Love how you're the most ignorant poster on these forums but love to attack others. What's incorrect?1. Va Tech spent half a century trying to get into the ACC. They aren't going anywhere. They've never considered going anywhere. They've publicly stated that many times instead of pulling the "no comment" card.2. Clemson never considered going anywhere. Sure a few fans got their panties in a wad because someone said they could make a boatload of money in the Big 12. The president and Dabo have both said many times that Clemson's home is the ACC and playing football in the Big 12 would be a disaster. Again, Clemson fans aren't tractoring up Lawrence, Manhattan, Ames, or Stillwater.3. FSU never considered going to the Big 12. Sure a BOT guy shot off his mouth but once the real decision makers there looked at the numbers they quickly realized there is no pot of gold sitting in the midwest somewhere. FSU has probably begged the SEC behind closed doors for an invite but that door was quickly slammed. FSU adds nothing to the SEC and would be a disaster in the Big 12 for the same reasons Clemson would be.The Notre Dame thing didn't save the ACC from losing FSU or anyone else. The ND thing has been in the works for years because it's a natural fit with ACC schools.
If the ACC stayed at 12 with the previous low exit fee, at least 3 of those schools were gone. You're living in fantasyland and not paying attention to everything else happening if you think otherwise. Man I can see why Dr D has been calling you a mouthbreather on this forum for 2 years straight.

Last edited by a moderator:
'Premier said:
'Ramblin Wreck said:
'Premier said:
'pantherclub said:
'Good said:
'oso diablo said:
If the ACC stayed at 12 with the previous low exit fee, at least 3 of those schools were gone. You're living in fantasyland and not paying attention to everything else happening if you think otherwise. Man I can see why Dr D has been calling you a mouthbreather on this forum for 2 years straight.
We get it. FSU needs their ego stroked and needs everyone to think they are so wanted. But reality is they can go running to the Big 12 all they want. There isn't a pot of gold there and the road trips would be much worse than the ACC for their fans. Honestly, I wish you guys would go and see how green the grass is.Again, VT was absolutely not going anywhere. Neither was Clemson. Miami might follow you guys along but I strongly doubt that. It's not that hard to see once you see the TV contract numbers and stop listening to the false "Tier 3" accounts.You (and Dr D) can keep calling me names all you want if you makes you feel better. You still don't have a horses ### of a clue what you're talking about with the conference expansion stuff. Sorry but it's the truth.

'Premier said:
'Ramblin Wreck said:
'Premier said:
'pantherclub said:
'Good said:
'oso diablo said:
We get it. FSU needs their ego stroked and needs everyone to think they are so wanted. But reality is they can go running to the Big 12 all they want. There isn't a pot of gold there and the road trips would be much worse than the ACC for their fans. Honestly, I wish you guys would go and see how green the grass is.Again, VT was absolutely not going anywhere. Neither was Clemson. Miami might follow you guys along but I strongly doubt that. It's not that hard to see once you see the TV contract numbers and stop listening to the false "Tier 3" accounts.You (and Dr D) can keep calling me names all you want if you makes you feel better. You still don't have a horses ### of a clue what you're talking about with the conference expansion stuff. Sorry but it's the truth.
:lmao: and you do. If the ACC was safe, why did they add Pitt, Cuse, ND and a 50 million dollar fee? There will be a small financial impact from tv, but Swofford knew he had to act first. It's hard to believe you're even disputing that, but whatever. There's still people who think Romney has a mathematical chance of winning the election too. I have an uncle who is in a very prominent position at Florida State. I can guarantee you they talked about going. The end result does not mean those serious talks didn't happen.

'Ramblin Wreck said:
Just thinking out loud here for basketball with 15 teams.For scheduling split into three groups. Play the other four teams twice each and the other groups once each for 18 conference games. It could bring back the home and homes for the Tobacco Road schools and create some other good matchups twice a year with Maryland and the northern schools. Divide the teams up:South: Miami, FSU, Clemson, GT, Va TechMid-Atlantic: UNC, Duke, NC State, Wake, UVANorth: Maryland, Syracuse, Pitt, ND, BC
:goodposting:I was going to post something similar. It works out very nicely, with the exception of having to split UVA and VT. How would the ACC tournament work with 15 teams? Just one bye, presumably the top division winner, with the other 14 teams playing down to 7?

'The Commish said:
'Just Win Baby said:
'The Commish said:
'TobiasFunke said:
'The Commish said:
'Ferris Bueller Fan said:
'randall146 said:
Is Tommy A the same as notorious plagiarist Thomas A? :o :
:lmao: That would be awesome if they were the same guy.I think Commish is referring to former Duke PG and assistant coach Tommy Amaker, currently the head coach at Harvard. The team's co-captains, both returning starters from the first Harvard hoops team to win the Ivy conference title, are leaving the team and the school in light of their involvement in an academic cheating scandal. The scandal implicates over 100 students, including several starters on the football team as well as the two basketball players. None of the news reports implicate Amaker in the scandal. His name shows up in the news coverage since he's coached at major programs previously and has connections to one of the Blue Bloods, but this just looks like a bunch of students in a government class got caught plagiarizing papers and cheating on exams. Highly unlikely Amaker's job status is affected by this, other than his team suddenly has to replace the team's leading scorer, as well as their team leader in assists.
This is NOT the standard set in the UNC scandal thread. While I agree with YOU on this, it's my understanding that there are some that believe since something happens on a coach's watch, it's on the coach, but I don't see an official Duke/Harvard cheating thread yet, so I'm assuming a double standard until proven otherwise ;)
Let's not bring the standard set in the UNC scandal thread into this one. UNC fans are better than that ;)
They seemed to be individual standards, not entire fan base standards :shrug:
Not sure why you are drawing a parallel here.The UNC thread is mostly about two things. First, several major violations committed by the football program under Butch Davis. I thought Butch Davis deserved to be fired, and I think any coach whose program commits several major violations should be fired.The other major subject of that thread is the continuing investigation into potential academic fraud that may have helped athletes stay eligible. If it were proven that UNC basketball players were involved, I don't think that means Roy Williams should be fired, unless other violations came out and/or it was shown he knew about the cheating.IMO it is comparing apples and oranges to compare the UNC thread and the perspectives of those posting in it to the situation at Harvard.
Yeah, I'm talking about the onslaught of "UNC should get the death penalty guys" when the first "news" of possible problems. I'm commenting on the phases obviously. Since the incidents are in completely different phases right now, of course it's comparing apples and oranges if you're looking at the totality of the threads. Essentially, at this point, I'm talking about the initial pages of of the UNC thread for comparison.
There is only one poster in the UNC thread who said UNC should/would get the death penalty - pantherclub.

'The Commish said:
'Just Win Baby said:
'The Commish said:
'TobiasFunke said:
'The Commish said:
'randall146 said:
:lmao: That would be awesome if they were the same guy.I think Commish is referring to former Duke PG and assistant coach Tommy Amaker, currently the head coach at Harvard. The team's co-captains, both returning starters from the first Harvard hoops team to win the Ivy conference title, are leaving the team and the school in light of their involvement in an academic cheating scandal. The scandal implicates over 100 students, including several starters on the football team as well as the two basketball players. None of the news reports implicate Amaker in the scandal. His name shows up in the news coverage since he's coached at major programs previously and has connections to one of the Blue Bloods, but this just looks like a bunch of students in a government class got caught plagiarizing papers and cheating on exams. Highly unlikely Amaker's job status is affected by this, other than his team suddenly has to replace the team's leading scorer, as well as their team leader in assists.
This is NOT the standard set in the UNC scandal thread. While I agree with YOU on this, it's my understanding that there are some that believe since something happens on a coach's watch, it's on the coach, but I don't see an official Duke/Harvard cheating thread yet, so I'm assuming a double standard until proven otherwise ;)
Let's not bring the standard set in the UNC scandal thread into this one. UNC fans are better than that ;)
Not sure why you are drawing a parallel here.The UNC thread is mostly about two things. First, several major violations committed by the football program under Butch Davis. I thought Butch Davis deserved to be fired, and I think any coach whose program commits several major violations should be fired.The other major subject of that thread is the continuing investigation into potential academic fraud that may have helped athletes stay eligible. If it were proven that UNC basketball players were involved, I don't think that means Roy Williams should be fired, unless other violations came out and/or it was shown he knew about the cheating.IMO it is comparing apples and oranges to compare the UNC thread and the perspectives of those posting in it to the situation at Harvard.
Yeah, I'm talking about the onslaught of "UNC should get the death penalty guys" when the first "news" of possible problems. I'm commenting on the phases obviously. Since the incidents are in completely different phases right now, of course it's comparing apples and oranges if you're looking at the totality of the threads. Essentially, at this point, I'm talking about the initial pages of of the UNC thread for comparison.
There is only one poster in the UNC thread who said UNC should/would get the death penalty - pantherclub.
and buckripwood. Several folks speculating and making cases for "could" also. As I said, I'm patiently waiting for the similar Duke thread. Should be entertaining :popcorn:

Several folks speculating and making cases for "could" also.
Really, who? I know you like to stir the pot, but I do not believe there are or were several other folks making that speculation in that UNC scandal thread.
Sorry...to be CRYSTAL clear, I was including posts where folks were quoting articles of this sort of speculation as well. There's no stirring the pot...the beginning of that thread was absurd given what was known as fact at the time of some of the posts. People were absolutely geeked up about it, at least that's how it came across.

and buckripwood.
Talking out your rear as usual. Show me where I stated UNCheat should get the death penalty? I've stated the truth several times, they have now been exposed as an extremely dirty cheating program. But I don't pretend to know what the proper punishments should be. We still don't know how deep all this cheating goes. But it sure is fun watching more and more stuff come out. :popcorn:

'The Commish said:
'Just Win Baby said:
'The Commish said:
'TobiasFunke said:
'The Commish said:
'randall146 said:
please direct me to that post

and buckripwood.
Talking out your rear as usual. Show me where I stated UNCheat should get the death penalty? I've stated the truth several times, they have now been exposed as an extremely dirty cheating program. But I don't pretend to know what the proper punishments should be. We still don't know how deep all this cheating goes. But it sure is fun watching more and more stuff come out. :popcorn:
We did this in the UNC thread. That neither of you responded was telling. That you guys are asking again is as well :lol: PC, I posted however many instances the nested quote function would allow on your comments mentioning the death penalty.

and buckripwood.
We did this in the UNC thread. That neither of you responded was telling. That you guys are asking again is as well :lol: PC, I posted however many instances the nested quote function would allow on your comments mentioning the death penalty.
Please direct me to the post where I said UNC would get the death penalty. Thanks

and buckripwood.
Please direct me to the post where I said UNC would get the death penalty. Thanks
I did in the UNC thread already. A couple times. Go there and look. I see what you're trying to sneak in though. The "would" vs "should" :lol: nice try!!

and buckripwood.
I did in the UNC thread already. A couple times. Go there and look. I see what you're trying to sneak in though. The "would" vs "should" :lol: nice try!!
again please direct me to that postkthanksif you cannot then kindly ####

and buckripwood.
It's there. You went this route once before and he owned you.

and buckripwood.
It's there. You went this route once before and he owned you.
again please direct me to that post

'Ramblin Wreck said:
Just thinking out loud here for basketball with 15 teams.For scheduling split into three groups. Play the other four teams twice each and the other groups once each for 18 conference games. It could bring back the home and homes for the Tobacco Road schools and create some other good matchups twice a year with Maryland and the northern schools. Divide the teams up:South: Miami, FSU, Clemson, GT, Va TechMid-Atlantic: UNC, Duke, NC State, Wake, UVANorth: Maryland, Syracuse, Pitt, ND, BC
:goodposting:I was going to post something similar. It works out very nicely, with the exception of having to split UVA and VT. How would the ACC tournament work with 15 teams? Just one bye, presumably the top division winner, with the other 14 teams playing down to 7?
Just move UVA to the south with Va Tech and move Clemson or Tech to the mid-Atlantic. North - Md, Syr, Pitt, ND, BCSouth - Miami, FSU, GT, VaTech, UVAand the appropriately named 3rd division would be the...Carolina - NCS, WF, Duke, Clemson, Carolina

'Ramblin Wreck said:
Ugh, that would be a crap deal for Maryland. Stuck with four non-traditional ACC members? At least switch UVA and ND.

It's not worth my time.Let's go ##### in the Panther's thread instead... :cry:
Thats pretty much what I thought.All bark no bite
Because he won't do YOUR work for you? Very bizarre...yet consistent position. I give you that much.
You accuse me of something and its my job to not find that post. Okay dude carry on :rolleyes:
:lol: If this were the first time, I'd probably oblige you, but we've already done this and anything I do to show you, again, will just be ignored, again. Carry on indeed. Actually, you did acknowledge it. You didn't ignore it, you just tried to dismiss all your comments as hyperbole.

It's not worth my time.Let's go ##### in the Panther's thread instead... :cry:
Thats pretty much what I thought.All bark no bite
Because he won't do YOUR work for you? Very bizarre...yet consistent position. I give you that much.
You accuse me of something and its my job to not find that post. Okay dude carry on :rolleyes:
:lol: If this were the first time, I'd probably oblige you, but we've already done this and anything I do to show you, again, will just be ignored, again. Carry on indeed. Actually, you did acknowledge it. You didn't ignore it, you just tried to dismiss all your comments as hyperbole.

These are the posts I was thinking about:
This thread is only going to get better and better :thumbup:
For everyone except UNC fans yes. I keep hearing other sports may be involved *cough cough Basketball Cough cough*
Here's one Dukie who hopes Carolina basketball isn't involved.
Nice to see some classy posters in here. Thanks.
I hope the football and basketball program get the death penalty. There is nothing classy about that. I am sure if you asked a Buckeye fan the same question about Michigan you would get the same response.
Holy hell, how did i miss this?

UNC is now veering awful close to a death penalty scenario. This stuff cannot be real. I can not imagine the program surviving if any more major violations are found.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2010/maga....html?eref=sihp

'Buck Stop said:
'Grady Wilson said:
'pantherclub said:
Thats a wee bit different then they are insinuating. Pretty much as I suspected.
LOL. You truly are unbelievable. LMAO...
About as believable as Peppers GPA?
Yeah, about that much. LOL. Nice to see you beating a dead horse. You do it on the main board as well and someone ripped you for it. Glad to see you are as much of a joke on that board as you are here. LMAO. Don't give it up. Honestly, I don't think you can, which is the sad yet funny part.

Saw a couple tweets that indicated that it's likely the league goes back to 2-team home & home partners. So State/UNC h&h would come back, as would some of the others that got broken up.

Thats a wee bit different then they are insinuating. Pretty much as I suspected.
Yeah, about that much. LOL. Nice to see you beating a dead horse.
So because Peppers cheated his way through UNCheat and is now gone, this is a dead horse, and not an issue? :lmao: That's priceless.

In actual hoops news, it appears that Sam Cassell Jr. will be ineligible this year. The details are fuzzy to me, but it has something to do with some of the classes at his high school not counting. Of course, if Dez Wells is ruled eligible, that would more than make up for it...

Yeah, about that much. LOL. Nice to see you beating a dead horse.
So because Peppers cheated his way through UNCheat and is now gone, this is a dead horse, and not an issue? :lmao: That's priceless.
LOL. Yeah, that's it. My comment was EXACTLY what you interpreted. LMAO. It really is pointless to ever discuss anything with you. I just enjoy watching you make a fool of yourself on this and every board on this site. Keep it up, we're pulling for you!

'Rich Conway said:
In actual hoops news, it appears that Sam Cassell Jr. will be ineligible this year. The details are fuzzy to me, but it has something to do with some of the classes at his high school not counting. Of course, if Dez Wells is ruled eligible, that would more than make up for it...
Damn. Maryland needs all the depth it can get, especially with how brittle Howard is. Let's hope Wells can get cleared.

Users who are viewing this thread