What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2017 Raiders - how's the 2018 draft looking? (1 Viewer)

"The Oakland Raiders are preparing to pursue former head coach and current ESPN analyst Jon Gruden with an offer so strong that it could include ownership of the team, according to league sources. Gruden prefers to not make any decisions until after the regular season finishes Sunday, but sources say he will be tempted to accept this offer. Current head coach Jack Del Rio signed an extension last summer, but the Raiders would likely eat that deal if Gruden accepts. Gruden began his head coaching career with Oakland and was traded to Tampa in 2001, and he'd be inheriting quarterback Derek Carr, whom he feels strongly about. He'd also be coaching a team that would be moving to Las Vegas in 2020, where he wouldn't have to pay state tax. A contract that Gruden accepts with ties to ownership would have to be approved by all 32 NFL owners, however. Gruden would also be given enough power to reshape the front office to his liking. It really does look like Gruden is serious about returning to coaching this time, as he's been trying to assemble a coaching staff on the side. This would be a blockbuster move for a Raiders franchise that took a step back in 2017, mainly with Carr and the offense being a huge disappointment. While the addition of Gruden would be a lightning-rod move for the organization and the league, it wouldn't guarantee a bounce-back season for Carr in 2018."

Man, if this Gruden thing doesn't end up happening, that would really stink if JDR then stays around as head coach. He'd be a lame duck coach with 3 years left. Very odd. 

Reports now swirling that the Raiders are expected to release Crabtree this offseason.

Would free up about $7.6 mil in cap space with no dead money.
Their best WR. Oh boy. I have no clue what this team is doing at WR. Baring this year's down year and Cooper really slumping this year, I thought our 1/2 tandem of Crabs/Cooper was really good. Then we only really have Patterson behind them. I'm done with Roberts personally. Now if we let Crabtree go, we are super thin at that position. 

Not this again. My understanding is that Gruden has a son with a year of high school remaining and he wants to be there for his son's graduation. Given that restriction the only job that he may have taken was the Tampa job. I also heard Pat Kirwin again say that Gruden isn't coming back. He likes the idea of coaching but he has built up a nice little empire that he will not jeopardize. 
Gruden's waited this long, what's one more year to see your son graduate? Dovetails with the Mercury News columnist's idea to keep JDR and McKenzie's one more year. If the Raiders are trash in 2018, tell Gruden to name his price and conditions.

But even with those enticements, why would Gruden ever want to coach again? Why would he want to start getting up at 3:17 every morning again? He's got a great thing going where he's at.

Gruden's waited this long, what's one more year to see your son graduate? Dovetails with the Mercury News columnist's idea to keep JDR and McKenzie's one more year. If the Raiders are trash in 2018, tell Gruden to name his price and conditions.

But even with those enticements, why would Gruden ever want to coach again? Why would he want to start getting up at 3:17 every morning again? He's got a great thing going where he's at.
Gruden loves coaching. :shrug:

He constantly updates his playbook. Why would you do that if you never wanted to coach again? 

Crabtree has been clutch many times but Crabtree has as many drops as Cooper does this season. Plus he is 30. Plus, there is nothing to say we can not resign him at a lower cost. 

Del Rio gone.  Don't even care if we get Gruden, I'm happy either way.

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE  GOD PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE  let us get Gruden.

Pagano has been about the only diamond in a turd of a season.
No, we got rid of del Rio, got a top ten draft pick, got a shot at gruden, and pagano showed this is at least an average defense. And we hopefully get Conley and obi next year. Looking forward to next year. 

Crabtree has been clutch many times but Crabtree has as many drops as Cooper does this season. Plus he is 30. Plus, there is nothing to say we can not resign him at a lower cost. 
I have liked what Crabtree has done but between the chain incident and his inconsistency I think it is time to part ways. My hope is they sign R Matthews to replace him.

Seth Roberts = drive killer. He continues to get oenalized for blocks in the back. I hope the new staff can coach his sloppy p,ay out of him. I have my doubts.

I am mildly surprised at JDR’s firing... I wonder the financial hit the team takes for his 4 year extension.

I also did not see Davis offering Gruden a % of the team to return. That is a serious deal changer, if true. No way Gruden can turn that down. That is life changing money for him and his family. Rumor has it that Gruden reached out to Gannon to be his QB coach. Another huge positive if Gannon accepts.

I wonder what becomes of Reggie? 

I am mildly surprised at JDR’s firing... I wonder the financial hit the team takes for his 4 year extension.

I also did not see Davis offering Gruden a % of the team to return. That is a serious deal changer, if true. No way Gruden can turn that down. That is life changing money for him and his family. Rumor has it that Gruden reached out to Gannon to be his QB coach. Another huge positive if Gannon accepts.

I wonder what becomes of Reggie? 
I would think Gruden would only come if he had control over personnel and Reggie would be out.  Reggie was very good with cap management, but not great with talent evaluation IMO and I'd be fine with his ouster as well.  

Gruden loves coaching. :shrug:

He constantly updates his playbook. Why would you do that if you never wanted to coach again? 
Yep, looks like you're right. Gannon during today's game:

“He’s been out for six (years), but he’s never not thought of himself as a coach. He’s always told me, I’m going to come back and do this at some point. He loves coaching, it’s in his blood and I think he’s going to come back and do it at some point, whether it’s with the Raiders or not, we’ll just have to wait and see.”

I would think Gruden would only come if he had control over personnel and Reggie would be out.  Reggie was very good with cap management, but not great with talent evaluation IMO and I'd be fine with his ouster as well.  
Why wouldn’t Reggie acquisce final personel decisions to Gruden? The reason I ask is because Reggie is very good at cap decisions. That is a big asset to a franchise.

Last edited by a moderator:
Good on Mark.  Seriously.  He has made consistent moves that Al wouldn't have considered for even a moment.  

I'm really interested to see if Gruden is the coach, what it means to McKenzie.  I hope that Gruden doesn't want any GM responsibilities, as I'm a big fan of what McKenzie has done.   McKenzie contract writing (and it's fluid cap space) + Gruden coaching staff + Las Vegas tax free income will hopefully lead to a deep roster and prime landing spot for free agents.

If Gruden is the next HC, I'm very interested to see the staff he is able to pull together.  No argument that he has many contacts across the league and likely into the college ranks, but those folks need to be able and willing to make the move as well.   While, as a fan I'd like to see both Tice (I think this years oline fall was more to do with a mismatch with the play calling of Downing) and Pagano maintained, I am more than willing to let Gruden bring in whomever.

Does bringing back Gruden have a feel of a 'side-show' move to keep fans in the seats in Oakland, banking on days of past... sure.  But I think it also is a stong move to elevate the coaching to a much needed level to compete in the AFC West and NFL overall. 

I also agree with the previous comment of Chadstroma that a Crabtree release doesn't mean he isn't in the Silver & Black in 2018. 

Good on Mark.  Seriously.  He has made consistent moves that Al wouldn't have considered for even a moment.  

I'm really interested to see if Gruden is the coach, what it means to McKenzie.  I hope that Gruden doesn't want any GM responsibilities, as I'm a big fan of what McKenzie has done.   McKenzie contract writing (and it's fluid cap space) + Gruden coaching staff + Las Vegas tax free income will hopefully lead to a deep roster and prime landing spot for free agents.

If Gruden is the next HC, I'm very interested to see the staff he is able to pull together.  No argument that he has many contacts across the league and likely into the college ranks, but those folks need to be able and willing to make the move as well.   While, as a fan I'd like to see both Tice (I think this years oline fall was more to do with a mismatch with the play calling of Downing) and Pagano maintained, I am more than willing to let Gruden bring in whomever.

Does bringing back Gruden have a feel of a 'side-show' move to keep fans in the seats in Oakland, banking on days of past... sure.  But I think it also is a stong move to elevate the coaching to a much needed level to compete in the AFC West and NFL overall. 

I also agree with the previous comment of Chadstroma that a Crabtree release doesn't mean he isn't in the Silver & Black in 2018. 
Can't see how Gruden wouldn't want control over personnel.  If Crabtree is released he's gone.  Teams don't release guys then sign them back, they would agree with him to restructure his contract if he was coming back.

Bumpinski -- so much chatter on this I can't think but getting Gruden looks almost like a fait accompit. I can't contain my excitement.

It's a big move to give up some team ownership, but I definitely applaud Mark D for being creative and making it realistically the only way to get Gruden out of a cushy broadcasting job. Risky in that Gruden may not pan out to be the HC that turns this team around given time away from coaching and that's sometimes how it goes, but no question having a guy like Gruden as part of the organization is a plus -- great football mind, fairly solid in terms of scouting/developing talent eye, and a guy that obviously lives/breathes not just football but can bring back some of the ol' Poise and Pride. And no question it's the best possible thing to really leverage and cement Carr as a true franchise QB -- Gruden may actually be the best in the business at helping the QB position and the offense around him develop.

I can, however, see how Gruden's involvement as a team owner may crowd Reggie as a GM. Would like to think that in terms of draft and development, the two can stick to their roles but be symbiotic in the area of drafting, FA moves, etc. That usually is the GMs role, so won't surprise me at all if this becomes an issue later if not sooner, but seems like they are the kind of men that can make this work rather than not.  

Im gonna dance an Irish Jig from Boston to Vegas if the Raiders land Chucky Gruden...love his energy ...he doesnt take crap from anyone...the fans love him ...new state of the art stadium....the arrow just keeps pointing up

Report: Raiders Coaching Staff Turned On Derek Carr Following The Chiefs Game

According to Raiders play-by-play voice Greg Papa, the Raiders coaching staff turned on Derek Carr in front of the entire team after the 26-15 loss to the Chiefs.

Via his 95.7 The Game program, this was Papa’s Tuesday afternoon description of what happened…

“This coaching staff turned on Derek Carr as well. After the Kansas City game they called him out in front of a whole team meeting. It wasn’t just the offense or the quarterbacks, a segment of the team. It was the whole team and they ripped him in front of everybody and Derek’s a prideful guy, but when you have a head coach that’s not designing the play, calling the play, and then second-guessing the play and the quarterback’s play on a certain play, it doesn’t go well.”

Papa also suggested that Jack Del Rio’s coaching staff managed erode Carr’s confidence as the season progressed.

Based on the Raiders’ body of work, it’s fair to assume the entire team was losing confidence by the end of the season – quite a ridiculous accomplishment considering what the team achieved a year ago.

Ultimately, it feels like Del Rio ran into many of the same problems in Oakland that he seemed to create in Jacksonville.

Link

Flashback:

Here is Carr attending Gruden's QB Camp back before the 2014 draft. Gruden clearly liked him as much (maybe more based on his football IQ and audible/signal ability, the freedom he was given to call games on his own in the huddle, etc.) as other more highly touted prospects like Bridgewater, Bortles, etc.

Some interesting convo about Derek perhaps being discounted by GMs/HCs/scouts based on his brother's performance, and a great example of Carr's leadership, comm skills, and ability to command a field (he teaches a skeleton crew of WRs 5 audible plays in about a minute using hand signals).

Part 1

Part 2

Part 3

My favorite excerpt:

Chucky (referring to Carr vs higher touted prospects like Bortles, Manziel, etc.): “I’m taking you.”

Derek: “Now let’s go win some championships.”

#### yeah. Let's get 'er done.

32 Counter Pass said:
Report: Raiders Coaching Staff Turned On Derek Carr Following The Chiefs Game

According to Raiders play-by-play voice Greg Papa, the Raiders coaching staff turned on Derek Carr in front of the entire team after the 26-15 loss to the Chiefs.

Via his 95.7 The Game program, this was Papa’s Tuesday afternoon description of what happened…

“This coaching staff turned on Derek Carr as well. After the Kansas City game they called him out in front of a whole team meeting. It wasn’t just the offense or the quarterbacks, a segment of the team. It was the whole team and they ripped him in front of everybody and Derek’s a prideful guy, but when you have a head coach that’s not designing the play, calling the play, and then second-guessing the play and the quarterback’s play on a certain play, it doesn’t go well.”

Papa also suggested that Jack Del Rio’s coaching staff managed erode Carr’s confidence as the season progressed.

Based on the Raiders’ body of work, it’s fair to assume the entire team was losing confidence by the end of the season – quite a ridiculous accomplishment considering what the team achieved a year ago.

Ultimately, it feels like Del Rio ran into many of the same problems in Oakland that he seemed to create in Jacksonville.

Link

32 Counter Pass said:
"Lack of guidance in Raiders locker room made Jack Del Rio firing necessary - Silver And Black Pride" via http://TeamStre.am by Bleacher Report

Link
Even more reason I'm glad JDR is gone.  Whether or not we get Gruden it had to be done.  Gruden would be awesome but I wouldn't have said to keep JDR if we couldn't get Gruden.

Flashback:

Here is Carr attending Gruden's QB Camp back before the 2014 draft. Gruden clearly liked him as much (maybe more based on his football IQ and audible/signal ability, the freedom he was given to call games on his own in the huddle, etc.) as other more highly touted prospects like Bridgewater, Bortles, etc.

Some interesting convo about Derek perhaps being discounted by GMs/HCs/scouts based on his brother's performance, and a great example of Carr's leadership, comm skills, and ability to command a field (he teaches a skeleton crew of WRs 5 audible plays in about a minute using hand signals).

Part 1

Part 2

Part 3

My favorite excerpt:

Chucky (referring to Carr vs higher touted prospects like Bortles, Manziel, etc.): “I’m taking you.”

i love the chemistry these 2 have ...what a solid foundation they already have ...i see great things for Carr and the RAIDERS with Gruden at the helm

i love the chemistry these 2 have ...what a solid foundation they already have ...i see great things for Carr and the RAIDERS with Gruden at the helm
I think Gruden, Gannon, and Olsen will all be good not only for Carr but for Cook as well. If Cook can be developed he can be possibly flipped for a 2nd or 1st round pick down the line. Here is the QB camp between Cook and Gruden.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iuCwtFcd3bg

Flashback:

Part 1

Part 2

Part 3

My favorite excerpt:

Im assuming these people havent watched any of these videos LOL

Profootballtalk reports there's "real concern" Derek Carr will not mesh with presumptive new Raiders coach Jon Gruden.

Despite his cheery (if intense) television persona, Gruden is known to be a needler when it comes to his players. There is little let up. Carr is coming off a major setback of a season, and could need his confidence rebuilt. Despite legitimate questions about how ready Gruden will be to return after so long in the booth, we would assume he will be careful not to immediately poison his relationship with one of his most important players.

Users who are viewing this thread