What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

- 2018 INJURED RESERVE WATCH - (1 Viewer)

TZMarkie

Footballguy
 So usually the leagues I play in have no injured reserve slots, although I did start last year in a league that has one, and I am also in that same league yet again.

Some goose dropped Greg Olsen a couple days back, and I promptly scooped him up FOR FREE , after waivers ran a bit ago.

I don't think several of the guys in this league even know they have an IR slot.

Anyway, I figured it would be a good idea for a thread, so we could all keep tabs on who the better candidates for injured reserve players to be held are.

I don't know that we need a comprehensive injury list per se', but just knowing who the other shark pool members are holding in their IR slots may be a valuable tool.

(On that note, Olsen didn't do much after he came back last season, other than one game, so I may be the goose here.)   :ph34r:

Are any of you guys holding Olsen or others in your IR slots, and if you are, who?

***EDIT - I AM TALKING REDRAFT ONLY***    Dynasty would be totally different, obviously.

TZM

Last edited by a moderator:
Donta Foreman, Hunter Henry are candidates.

I know D'Onta Foreman can return in week 8-9 or thereabouts, so I can see him as a solid IR gamble.  I do have my questions about how good he can actually be though, after such a serious injury.

But hasn't Hunter Henry been declared out for the year?   (In case I didn't specify, I am talking strictly redraft...which I will add to the original post)

TZM

I know D'Onta Foreman can return in week 8-9 or thereabouts, so I can see him as a solid IR gamble.  I do have my questions about how good he can actually be though, after such a serious injury.

But hasn't Hunter Henry been declared out for the year?   (In case I didn't specify, I am talking strictly redraft...which I will add to the original post)

TZM
Henry was spotted doing sprints and Roto had (and take this with a HUGE GRAIN OF SALT) speculated about after his bye in Week 8. I personally doubt it. That said, I can't add him in our IR league. I think our IR league is limited to guys already on your roster. That's a bummer. I've never played in one before and they keep asking me to drop a player in Yahoo!

For us, the IR is just for IR players.  None of the above mentioned are actually on "IR". 

That being said, I like the message of this thread.
Yeah, but I couldn't get Kelley on there, either, and Gordon went on IR at the mere mention of "Out" by Cleveland. It was weird.  

Your point is also taken. It should be, for certain leagues, true IR.  

For us, the IR is just for IR players.  None of the above mentioned are actually on "IR". 

That being said, I like the message of this thread.

Of note -  As far as Yahoo is concerned, it let me slot Greg Olsen directly into the IR spot. He is currently listed as "OUT" on Yahoo.  (You may realize when you draft someone that is over your roster limits, it will basically say "Add player XXX, and drop player XXX", and you have to choose a player to drop. But when I picked up Olsen, he was automatically fired right into my IR spot.

I do not know if this is a glitch, or Yahoo is allowing "OUT" players into their designated IR slots. I'm assuming you can put "OUT" players in your IR, but thats just me hazarding a guess.

Either way, we as owners should be aware of our possibilities, and as long as I can roster Olsen in this fashion, I will do so before the next owner takes advantage of it against me. (I don't want to get into the ethics of this, or if its right or wrong here in this thread, thats pointless....rather lets see if we can find out why this is happening)

I wonder if anyone can find out the exact reasoning Yahoo is allowing this at this stage.

Either way, if someone else can add him  on Yahoo, or another player classified as "OUT", I would like to see some of the other names.

TZM

Just noticed in our league settings, this was listed under "scoring and settings".

Allow injured players from waivers or free agents to be added directly to injury slot: Yes

It doesn't say "injured reserve" in specifics, only  "allow injured players ........"     There IS a difference obviously.  It might be of interest, that in the same league last year I had Greg Olsen there as well, but I believe he was labelled specifically "IR" but I am not 100%

If anyone can shed some light on this, it would be appreciated.

TZM

Just noticed in our league settings, this was listed under "scoring and settings".

Allow injured players from waivers or free agents to be added directly to injury slot: Yes

It doesn't say "injured reserve" in specifics, only  "allow injured players ........"     There IS a difference obviously.  It might be of interest, that in the same league last year I had Greg Olsen there as well, but I believe he was labelled specifically "IR" but I am not 100%

If anyone can shed some light on this, it would be appreciated.

TZM
Mine -- the allow injured players from waivers or free agents, etc...has a big fat "No" on it. The commish is playing a 1 QB 2 RB 3WR 1 W/R/T Flex 1 QB/TE/WR/RB Superflex so I assume he's serious, even though it's a fun league. I can't even get "IR" designations into my league. But when Gordon was on my roster, his "OUT" status was enough to move him to IR. I hope that helps to make sense of it, though it might seem to muddy it up a bit. But I'm sure what I'm reporting is correct.  

Mine has a big fat "No" on it. The commish is playing a 1 QB 2 RB 3WR 1 W/R/T Flex 1 QB/TE/WR/RB Superflex so I assume he's serious, even though it's a fun league. 
If thats the case, then you shouldn't have an IR spot at your disposal, unless I'm taking it all wrong.

FWIW - I just had a knowledgeable buddy text me that "OUT qualifies as IR".  But if thats the case, anyone that has say Joe Mixon, (who is listed as OUT), then by all means snag someone off the wire and place him on your bench until Mixon is back in action.  Its a free roster spot for the weeks he is out , and owners would be foolish not to use that.

If anyone thats listed as OUT can be placed in IR, then that makes this a whole different ballgame, and you could play "roster roulette" all the weeks you have someone listed as "OUT".  Just like Sony Michel was, and others who have been listed as OUT thus far.

QUICK EDIT - I'm assuming this is a glitch/issue on Yahoo only.

Just a heads up.

TZM

If thats the case, then you shouldn't have an IR spot at your disposal, unless I'm taking it all wrong.

FWIW - I just had a knowledgeable buddy text me that "OUT qualifies as IR".  But if thats the case, anyone that has say Joe Mixon, (who is listed as OUT), then by all means snag someone off the wire and place him on your bench until Mixon is back in action.  Its a free roster spot for the weeks he is out , and owners would be foolish not to use that.

If anyone thats listed as OUT can be placed in IR, then that makes this a whole different ballgame, and you could play "roster roulette" all the weeks you have someone listed as "OUT".  Just like Sony Michel was, and others who have been listed as OUT thus far.

Just a heads up.

TZM
TZM - We do have an IR spot, but I think it's at the commish's control. We're listed as BN, BN, BN...IR. We also, in a non-serious league, have veto-able trades, so there's that. It's some novices, most experts, so we're trying to democratize it. I would never play money or serious fun in a veto trade league. Just...wouldn't. But again, that's another story for another day, just like last week's ethics.  

But the scenario you describe is exactly what happened with Gordon. They said Gordon was "Out" and I added a guy no problem. Must be a kind of glitch they have going, or there might be a reason. Maybe a more seasoned guy can help us understand.  

TZM - We do have an IR spot, but I think it's at the commish's control. We're listed as BN, BN, BN...IR. We also, in a non-serious league, have veto-able trades, so there's that. It's some novices, most experts, so we're trying to democratize it. I would never play money or serious fun in a veto trade league. Just...wouldn't. But again, that's another story for another day, just like last week's ethics.  

But the scenario you describe is exactly what happened with Gordon. They said Gordon was "Out" and I added a guy no problem. Must be a kind of glitch they have going, or there might be a reason. Maybe a more seasoned guy can help us understand.  
 I think "vetoing trades" is a better alternative than not having any safeguards in place. I have heard it time and time again in podcasts. "You shouldn't have that ability, we are all grown men, if they cant trade fairly then kick them out of the league for next year". But they are all so blind to the fact that it can screw your league up THIS YEAR.

Suppose one guy makes this trade this year....... Team A -  Gronk,  Pat Mahomes,  Antonio Brown and Alvin Kamara, for Team B's - Jimmy Graham, Marcus Mariota, Laquon Treadwell, and Marlon Mack.  This is far too heavily stacked into Team Bs favor.

Do you think that trade is even remotely close?  The "experts" would all allow that to fly through in a non-veto league, even though its almost obviously collusion especially if it were blatantly filling Team B's only weak spots. I am in no way saying using a trade veto system is perfect and without issues, but having essentially no safeguard in place is WORSE .  Suppose you let that go in a non veto league, how does that bear out for the non offending teams? I will tell you how, it stacks one team unfairly and ruins the league. (I could make this ironclad, if I used an example of say one team trades Todd Gurley for another teams Ito Smith.

Anyway, I am not being negative towards you, but I just don't think the "no trade should be vetoed" mindset holds water at all. I've seen it mentioned and referred to all too often, and I have seen it disband leagues completely.

But, back to the topic at hand - My "knowledgeable" friend texted me back shortly ago, and we have exchanged several texts since.  Apparently this is exactly how the Yahoo IR spot works. Any player listed as "OUT" can be placed into IR.   I think thats complete bull####, and now I am not looking to play in this league any more after this season unless this is somehow changed.  You can basically play "roster roulette", and I drafted Sony Michel in this league. Had I known this, I would have been sitting on an extra running back all along.  This is just a crazy , glorified additional bench spot.... albeit one that you can't use unless you have a player listed as "out". Suppose I find out an hour before kickoff that Marquise Goodwin is "OUT" for the game. Then just pick yourself up a flyer running back in your newly found extra bench spot, and make a drop during the week if it comes out that Goodwin is returning.

TZM

For those following publicly, TZM PM'd me about what he said here, the content and tone of which I think is astute and more than appropriate. When I'm reading the SP, he seems to always have something good to say. I read it. I want to know who his avatar is, actually. 

Always intrigued by it. Trippy in that Busby Berkeley kind of way. Without the banana hats and innuendo. But that aesthetic. 

Shirley?  

Anyway, thanks for the thoughts man, and the "Out" in Yahoo is sort of, as you put, an additional bench spot to get around the tension between bench spots, waiver pickups, and slow-moving leagues.  

For those following publicly, TZM PM'd me about what he said here, the content and tone of which I think is astute and more than appropriate. When I'm reading the SP, he seems to always have something good to say. I read it. I want to know who his avatar is, actually. 
The avatar is an actress named Terry Burnham, who is now deceased. She was in a Twilight Zone episode named "Nightmare as a Child". Season 1, 1959. (long before I was born)  I had someone on another board years ago get a headshot of her from that episode, and he also took the "swirling cone" from the Twilight Zone intro in its mid to later seasons, and put it behind her head.

Hence the name "TZMarkie" too. (Twilight Zone Markie) Her name in the episode was "Markie".  

Its a good one too, if you've never seen it. :thumbup:

TZM

Just a heads up.

TZM
https://help.yahoo.com/kb/sln6425.html

Users who are viewing this thread