What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2018 Offseason Coaching Changes (2 Viewers)

Browns owner Jimmy Haslam reiterated after Sunday's loss that Hue Jackson will return as head coach in 2018.

Jackson, as he did all season, continued accept zero accountability for the Browns' winless campaign following Sunday's loss to the Steelers' backups. "I don't think anyone else could have done this job for the last two years," said Jackson, playing the victim. "I don't think Jackson has lost his magic," Haslam said. Haslam has been investigated by the FBI for defrauding customers in his Pilot Flying J trucking business, while Jackson is by far the losingest coach in Browns franchise history. Clearly, these two deserve each other.

Source: Mary Kay Cabot on Twitter 

Dec 31 - 4:37 PM

Jack Del Rio fired.

Chuck Pagano fired

Probably John Fox fired

Texans unknown. GM out of the way coach meeting with the owners tomorrow.

Vance Joesph hearing bad things now after the loss to KC.

The Cincinnati Enquirer's Jim Owczarski reports the Bengals and coach Marvin Lewis have yet to make a decision on his future with the organization.

Lewis reportedly met with team president Mike Brown on Monday, but they left the meeting without coming to a resolution. Owczarski reports the two sides may wait until Tuesday to make the final decision. Lewis said he would likely to continue coaching on Sunday night but added the decision is "complicated."

Source: Cincinnati Enquirer 

Jan 1 - 10:30 

i have a bad feeling Marvin is back.  

The Cincinnati Enquirer's Jim Owczarski reports the Bengals and coach Marvin Lewis have yet to make a decision on his future with the organization.

Lewis reportedly met with team president Mike Brown on Monday, but they left the meeting without coming to a resolution. Owczarski reports the two sides may wait until Tuesday to make the final decision. Lewis said he would likely to continue coaching on Sunday night but added the decision is "complicated."

As a Steelers fan, please let this happen.

Lewis is a good coach, but major changes are needed in Cincy. It would be best for everyone if he coached Chicago or someone next year. 

Lewis is a good coach, but major changes are needed in Cincy. It would be best for everyone if he coached Chicago or someone next year. 
I'm not sure how you can say he's a good coach, others have been fired much sooner than this guy, for being just as incapable as Lewis..I mean, John Fox has taken 2 different teams to the SB, Marvin Lewis has had epic problems taking ONE team to the playoffs,let alone SB..

his record stands for itself, mired in mediocrity, he failed to win a single playoff game in 15 years as HC. 8 seasons at or below .500..EIGHT! just absolutely dreadful as a head coach.

watch what happens next season when/if another coach comes to town,with THAT roster they'll go 12-4 and be in the AFC Championship game. you have very good WR's, good RBs, decent defense, game-managing QB..and he hasn't won a playoff game, ever?! he's a joke of a coach.

time for him to go..

I admittedly don't follow the Broncos closely, but was surprised this was even a possibility. Seems short-sighted to fire a 1st time head coach after one season unless he did something flagrant or criminal. 
I agree seemed kind of weird to give up on a young coach after only one year.

Doesn't look like they will do that, it was rumored quite a bit that it might happen though.

I'd read the rumors,too. Would seem like more of a reflection on the hirers than the hiree. And you can't hold Joseph accountable for losing Wade Phillips or which QBs were on the roster. (At least solely, if he had any input in bring back Brock)

Yeah if you take a chance on a young coach who hasn't been a head coach before, that decision already implies that you are going to be patient with the coach as part of why you hired them.

Now the Broncos did hire McDaniels back in 2009 and he only made it part way through his second year as their coach. So there is some history of this team giving up on the young coach quickly.

I forget the details now, but McDaniels did some things to strain the relationship with Jay Cutler and other players they had at the time I think was part of why they moved on from him so quickly. 

NFL coaching tracker: Latest moves, developments

Jim Caldwell, Detroit Lions: The Lions fired Caldwell a day after the team missed the playoffs for the second time in three seasons. The Lions finished the season at 9-7 for the second straight year. Following a promising 6-4 start, the Lions quickly lost ground in the highly competitive NFC playoff race, hitting rock bottom in a Week 16 loss to a struggling Bengals team that annihilated Detroit's postseason aspirations.
One more that hadn't been mentioned yet.

Lions and Bears both changing head coaches.

Last edited by a moderator:
Tanner9919 said:
I'm not sure how you can say he's a good coach, others have been fired much sooner than this guy, for being just as incapable as Lewis..I mean, John Fox has taken 2 different teams to the SB, Marvin Lewis has had epic problems taking ONE team to the playoffs,let alone SB..

his record stands for itself, mired in mediocrity, he failed to win a single playoff game in 15 years as HC. 8 seasons at or below .500..EIGHT! just absolutely dreadful as a head coach.

watch what happens next season when/if another coach comes to town,with THAT roster they'll go 12-4 and be in the AFC Championship game. you have very good WR's, good RBs, decent defense, game-managing QB..and he hasn't won a playoff game, ever?! he's a joke of a coach.

time for him to go..
I agree that the team probably needs a change but Marvin has been a solid coach and the Bengals fans should be careful what they wish for.

I think people forget how bad the Bengals were, and for how long, prior to Lewis taking over.  12 years without a winning record, they were historically bad with a notoriously cheap owner who has not done a ton to help build the franchise.  Marvin deserves a ton of credit for the Bengals performing as well as they have with the ownership he has had to deal with.

And the Bengals don't make the playoffs next year unless they deal with that offensive line.

knowledge dropper said:

Wouldn't be surprised one damn bit.

The Colts have been granted permission to interview Texans DC Mike Vrabel for their defensive coordinator vacancy.

Vrabel was promoted from linebackers coach to defensive coordinator before the 2017 season. His defense was absolutely wretched across the board, but Vrabel has been given a pass due to numerous personnel injuries. What matters most to NFL decision makers is the perception of Vrabel, and he is highly regarded in league circles. He is also getting interest for the Lions' coaching vacancy.

Related: Colts

Source: Albert Breer on Twitter 

Jan 1 - 5:45 PM

The Cardinals and Bears reportedly have the most interest in Vikings OC Pat Shurmur as a head-coaching candidate.

Shurmur is being credited for the turnaround of the Vikings' 2017 offense, which was revamped with multiple O-Line additions and got a career year from Case Keenum, who was surrounded by big-time playmakers Stefon Diggs, Adam Thielen, and Kyle Rudolph. Shurmur would likely undertake a near-full-on rebuild in Arizona. In Chicago, he would inherit 2017 No. 2 overall pick Mitchell Trubisky.

Related: Bears

Source: Ben Goessling on Twitter 

Jan 1 - 6:11 PM

NFL Network's Ian Rapoport reports the Cardinals have requested to interview Steelers OL coach Mike Munchak for their head-coaching vacancy.

Munchak was the Titans' head man for three years from 2011-2013, posting a 22-26 record and finishing second in the AFC South a couple times before getting replaced by total failure Ken Whisenhunt. Munchak is one of the best line coaches in the business and probably deserves a second chance as the top man. He's overseen the Steelers' line the past four seasons.

Related: Cardinals

Source: Ian Rapoport on Twitter 

Jan 1 - 6:39 PM

I agree that the team probably needs a change but Marvin has been a solid coach and the Bengals fans should be careful what they wish for.

I think people forget how bad the Bengals were, and for how long, prior to Lewis taking over.  12 years without a winning record, they were historically bad with a notoriously cheap owner who has not done a ton to help build the franchise.  Marvin deserves a ton of credit for the Bengals performing as well as they have with the ownership he has had to deal with.
Marvin Lewis had to do his own scouting with the Bengals for awhile, didn't he? Guy deserves a lot more credit than he gets.

Marvin Lewis had to do his own scouting with the Bengals for awhile, didn't he? Guy deserves a lot more credit than he gets.
For years they spent almost zero on scouting. Always had the smallest scouting department in the league.

Maybe that has changed some but Mike Brown is absolutely one cheap ### almost billionaire.

And if I were the Lions I wouldn't hire someone that didn't want to keep him.  I get a guy like Gruden wanting his own guys in there and that's fine, but when the OC has this record of success plus the franchise/potential elite QB wants him, you keep him, and you hire a head coach that wants to keep him. 
Or you just make JBC the head coach.

So is the fact that the Lions have finished 32nd, 30th, and 32nd in rushing yards under Cooter due to the offense he's running, the running backs, the offensive line, or a combination of all 3?
Probably a combination of those three, weighted toward bad backs, and the additional factor of playing from behind...a lot.

Wonder how the Raiders plan to comply with the Rooney Rule... hard to imagine any self-respecting minority coach agreeing to meet with them at this point.  

Wonder how the Raiders plan to comply with the Rooney Rule... hard to imagine any self-respecting minority coach agreeing to meet with them at this point.  
Hard to imagine anyone with half a brain declining one.  The NFL is a small circle, and a guy coming in and blowing the doors off an interview, even a token one, is going to get talked about to other teams.  It's also an opportunity to practice your interviewing skills in a no-lose situation.  And the guys you will interview with could be the guys you are interviewing with again in 2-3 years but with another team.  Bottom line - why would anyone ever decline the chance to impress another professional in their business?

NFL Network's Ian Rapoport reports the Cardinals have requested to interview Steelers OL coach Mike Munchak for their head-coaching vacancy.

Munchak was the Titans' head man for three years from 2011-2013, posting a 22-26 record and finishing second in the AFC South a couple times before getting replaced by total failure Ken Whisenhunt. Munchak is one of the best line coaches in the business and probably deserves a second chance as the top man. He's overseen the Steelers' line the past four seasons.

Related: Cardinals

Source: Ian Rapoport on Twitter 

Jan 1 - 6:39 PM
BACK THE F*** OFF Steelers-West. Take someone else's great position coach. Like the Pats, take their OC or DC. Or even Haley, that'd be ok. But not Munchak.

Hard to imagine anyone with half a brain declining one.  The NFL is a small circle, and a guy coming in and blowing the doors off an interview, even a token one, is going to get talked about to other teams.  It's also an opportunity to practice your interviewing skills in a no-lose situation.  And the guys you will interview with could be the guys you are interviewing with again in 2-3 years but with another team.  Bottom line - why would anyone ever decline the chance to impress another professional in their business?
I think a minority coach who helps the Raiders fulfill their Rooney Rule obligation prior to hiring Gruden is potentially opening himself up to criticism within the African-American community. Maybe I'm way off base here. I know NFL head coaching positions are very limited, and such opportunities are therefore quite valuable. Just saying it wouldn't surprise me if the winds of popular opinion blew a different way on this one.

Probably a combination of those three, weighted toward bad backs, and the additional factor of playing from behind...a lot.
Which is often because of the coach killing supposed franchise QB’s poor play. So let’s let him have a say in what coaches are retained...this is why some franchises never get right :lmao:  

Patriots OC Josh McDaniels will interview for the Colts' head-coaching vacancy on Thursday.

It will be the first interview for one of this year's most sought after candidates. McDaniels has been in no rush to leave New England in recent years, barely granting interviews and making it clear he will only take a plum job. Even with the Colts' disastrous 2017, they would seem to fit the bill with a franchise quarterback and respected new(ish) general manager. Meddlesome owner Jim Irsay is always a wild card.

Related: Colts

Source: Tom Pelissero on Twitter 

Jan 2 - 4:46 PM

Which is often because of the coach killing supposed franchise QB’s poor play. So let’s let him have a say in what coaches are retained...this is why some franchises never get right :lmao:  
I've read this about ten times and don't know what it means. What are you trying to say?

Users who are viewing this thread