What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2018 qb carousel (1 Viewer)

Snorkelson

Footballguy
OP edited 3/13

The nfl will get a shake up this offseason. Some big name free agents like Brees, cousins, some little names like mccown, some guys that will ponder retirement like Brees/Ben/Manning, some teams will look to the draft with a promising class coming in, others will look at stopgap options. Alex smith may need a home. Some older vets could be shown the door. There are some backups making a case to get starting consideration like keenum or maybe brissett, and some teams have an entrenched starter for at least the next few years. I’m not going to try placing rookies, but let’s take a look at the state of the qb position and speculate. Some predictions based on nothing at all by division in no particular order:

NFC West 

ARI- Palmer retires, arians steps down. Waiting on fitz, who may be waiting to see who the coach/qb is. Stay tuned.

Sea- wilson

sf- garrappolo

LA- goff

NFC South

atl- ryan

car- cam

tb-winston- ETA- he keeps doing stoopit stuff, investigation, possible suspension. He’s like Big Ben without the super bowl rings...

NO- Brees says he’s coming back (possibly for a couple years “if they’ll have me”)

ETA: as @BassNBrew will point out below, Brees is basically one year away from leading in passing yards for his career, about 3k behind manning. 

Brees signed

NFC north

det-stafford

gb- rodgers

chi- trubisky era underway 

min- cousins era set to begin

nfc east

phi- wentz 

Dallas- dak

wash- gives a promising young corner and a 3rd for Alex smith- smith looks like the future, for the next 2-3 yrs anyway. 

NYG- seems shurmer will roll with Eli. Cleveland wanted smith, but now may have to take their signal caller at 1, freeing up Barkley if they want to go that route

afc west

oak- carr

lac- rivers, but for how much longer?

denver- they are a solid team that should be a destination for any decent fa qb. Cousins would be a good fit, an exiled Eli might have enough left to flirt with playoffs. Tyrod Taylor would be better than what they have. Or maybe they go with lynch. 

ETA: doesn’t look like the answer is on the roster now.

3/13- keenum looks to be the guy

KC-mahomes era begins

afc north

bal- Flacco for better or worse

cle- Tyrod Taylor is the gatekeeper, but who will be the key master?. 

Cincy- I thought Dalton’s contract was up but I didn’t see it on the expiring contracts list. Could be a coaching change there, which could shake things up, but I’ll assume dalton will be back. 

ETA: Dalton’s name is out there as a guy who may get replaced. Could be lots of new people in Cincy, which should at least give the fan base some energy. 

Edit 1/17 no new ppl in Cincy, Lewis will be back.

Mccarron a fa. 

Pit- Ben has flirted with retirement, he’s another guy that I could see winning it all and walking away this year. He takes a lot of hits. This is really the slot I’d like to put Alex smith in, I don’t think you’d have a big dropoff in play there.

edit 1/17 Ben says he’ll be back

afc south

indy- Luck will be back (right?) so do they keep brissett as a backup or try to move him? He’s played well enough to get consideration from someone. 

Houston- Watson back, but let’s upgrade the backup spot guys.

jax- bortles? If they could lure a big name fa like cousins or smith I think they go for it. 

ETA: bortles has impressed a bit down the stretch, but I’m still not sold and I’m not sure the front office doesn’t test what should be a strong fa market

edit 1/17 they’re one win away from te super bowl, and this question isn’t any clearer....

1/31- bortles underwent hand surgery, would have to pass physical in first 3 days of League year to be able to cut him. Signs point to a return, but it isn’t very often quality free agent qbs become available and I wouldn’t be surprised if they made a run- that said, a bird in hand is worth two in the Bush. 

Ten- mariota- with a new coaching staff, let’s hope it sparks that promising young offense.

1/31 Matt lafluer at OC, young inexperienced guy who has learned under two of the brilliant young offensive minds of the game, could be a good hire. 

afc east

NE- Brady will win the division for another 3 years not so much because he’s so great but because the other teams have no clue

buffalo- seems to want to get rid of all their talent. This rarely works, unless you get rid of everyone, then the staff, as they did in philly and Denver after the chip/mcdaniels eras. I guess peterman or draft pick. Good luck buffalo fans...

ETA: I don’t know what they’re doing over there. They obviously don’t like Tyrod and peterman may be better than his awful game but not someone I’d hitch my job to. Draft? Any big name qb fa running to play in buffalo?

eta 3/13 perhaps bradford 

miami- tannehill? Signed through 2020, he’s likely the guy for the foreseeable future. Contract is light on guaranteed money though so it isn’t cost prohibitive should they decide otherwise. 

NYJ- better than expected, they may lack the premium pick they need to get a top qb. Mccown is a fa, and they don’t have a good team so the top fa won’t even sniff there. Bradford, keenum, someone who wants to start but may not have too many options.

This was all pretty much stream of consciousness so forgive me if I left someone out or otherwise have silly predictions. 

Last edited by a moderator:
I think Bradford’s a free agent after this year. It’ll be interesting to see what Minn does in the off season. 

Minnesota once looked at Bridgewater as the future, If they slide at all, I could see him playing by the end of the year.  This is one of the more intriguing questions with loads of options and no one signed for '18 IIRC.  Alex Smith would be sick... 

Miami is high on Tannehill and they sorely miss him this year.  Spending big on a QB splash would be a mistake IMO, they have a bunch of other holes to fix.  Haven't made big FA splashes in the last couple of years.    

There are some teams that will find out a lot in the next few weeks. If bortles flounders down the stretch and they don’t get to the playoffs or lose wildcard weekend they could go elsewhere. Minnesota can look at teddy but he doesn’t cost a lot, perhaps they decide to get in the mix for the top qbs or someone like Brees if there’s a divorce there and he wants to play. Den and minny are a qb away from being contenders. Minny is contending now but we’ll see in a few weeks with tough road matchups coming. Does Cleveland draft a qb with 1.01 or are they sold on Kizer or trading out because the computer tells them to? Wtf will Washington do? It will be exciting, there usually isn’t quality qb talent out there and there are several good teams that seem a qb away

Minnesota once looked at Bridgewater as the future, If they slide at all, I could see him playing by the end of the year.  This is one of the more intriguing questions with loads of options and no one signed for '18 IIRC.  Alex Smith would be sick... 

Miami is high on Tannehill and they sorely miss him this year.  Spending big on a QB splash would be a mistake IMO, they have a bunch of other holes to fix.  Haven't made big FA splashes in the last couple of years.    
I forgot teddy is also a fa- that would be a very attractive landing spot for a fa qb. 

As far as tannehill is concerned I agree but I thought they were cooling in him a bit. They did miss him but they could get out from under his contract if they wanted to make a move. He’s signed through 2020 though so he’s probably their guy for the foreseeable future- edited above post to reflect this.

San Francisco may have made a mistake trading for Jimmy G. Every time I see Bethard play he passes the eyeball test.

If the Giants move on from Eli look for Jacksonville to be the top landing spot. Eli, Coughlin and a top defense make that that situation look a lot like Peyton in Denver. Bortles needs to improve by an order of magnitude to save his job IMO.

San Francisco may have made a mistake trading for Jimmy G. Every time I see Bethard play he passes the eyeball test.

If the Giants move on from Eli look for Jacksonville to be the top landing spot. Eli, Coughlin and a top defense make that that situation look a lot like Peyton in Denver. Bortles needs to improve by an order of magnitude to save his job IMO.
With the D they have the Jags are a QB away from being a super bowl contender.

Good analysis on Eli-coughlib connection. I liked beatheard coming out of Iowa- he can throw, they just didn’t ask him to. He checks a lot of boxes. 

There are some teams that will find out a lot in the next few weeks. If bortles flounders down the stretch and they don’t get to the playoffs or lose wildcard weekend they could go elsewhere. Minnesota can look at teddy but he doesn’t cost a lot, perhaps they decide to get in the mix for the top qbs or someone like Brees if there’s a divorce there and he wants to play. Den and minny are a qb away from being contenders. Minny is contending now but we’ll see in a few weeks with tough road matchups coming. Does Cleveland draft a qb with 1.01 or are they sold on Kizer or trading out because the computer tells them to? Wtf will Washington do? It will be exciting, there usually isn’t quality qb talent out there and there are several good teams that seem a qb away
i mean no way Cleveland doesn't take a QB.  i know we've said that before but i think their fans would stage a revolution.

Interesting discussion topic for sure.  Can't remember when there's been so much uncertainty with so many teams.  Things will be a bit clearer as we see how some qb's perform down the stretch but there will be a lot of intrigue this offseason.

Scratch that TB - Winston part. He's done there. They won't be resigning him now. Way too much stupidity on and off the field. Koetter can now get a guy he wants not a guy clueless Lovie wanted.

Scratch that TB - Winston part. He's done there. They won't be resigning him now. Way too much stupidity on and off the field. Koetter can now get a guy he wants not a guy clueless Lovie wanted.
***** grabbing in 2016, it was all the rage back then. Seems like he could easily get slapped with 6 games.

i mean no way Cleveland doesn't take a QB.  i know we've said that before but i think their fans would stage a revolution.
I’ve thought that before, then they traded the pick that was wentz. Then they passed on Watson. This time it’s the fans who move the team.

I believe that after this year, Cincy can move on from Dalton with very little cap hit.
Probably time to move on from Lewis too. I appreciate Marv Lewis but his teams look more like the Jeff Fischer rams these days. Firing the OC just showed that it wasn’t an OC problem. 

I'm probably in the minority here, but if Ben were to retire I wouldn't mind the Steelers looking at Keenum. He'd only be 30 and with the skill set around him l don't think he'd be much of a drop off.

I'm probably in the minority here, but if Ben were to retire I wouldn't mind the Steelers looking at Keenum. He'd only be 30 and with the skill set around him l don't think he'd be much of a drop off.
Poor mans drew Brees. He throws an accurate ball. I would think Ben has another year left after this but he seemed to really be pondering retirement this offseason. A deep playoff run could be the “nail in the coffin” so so speak, less time to recover in the offseason and maybe hes feeling it. Brees/ben/Brady/Manning/Palmerretirement watch will go into effect in a few weeks. 

Tough break for Beathard because the kid can play. I touted him as a cheap stash, especially in 2-QB leagues, but the Garoppolo trade clouds his future.

Jimmy G better strap 'em up, though, because Beathard may be difficult to beat out. What CJ has done as a rookie with what amounts to a turd of a situation has been rather impressive all things considered.

Let's see what Jimmy G can do in the same situation (& I like him as a prospect).

2018 NFL mock draft: Updated 4-round projections after Week 10

I thought this was a nice article that Faust linked in the 2018 prospects thread because of how deep the author goes with their mock.

I am not really sure how good these QBs coming in are, but there does seem to be a lot of QB worth drafting anyways, so a lot of new talent incoming. The author has 6 QB being drafted in the first round then 5 more QBs after that.

I really don't expect Brees to retire. The Saints are playing well right now. I expect they retain Brees and Payton.

I don't think Alex Smith is going anywhere and he is still under contract for another season. I think Mahomes has to wait another year for his chance.

I don't really think Ben will retire either. He maybe isn't playing as well as he used to, but I think he plays at least another season for the Steelers. 

I find it really interesting that posters thus far like Keenum as much as they do. Poor mans Brees? Really? Good enough to start for the Steelers? It makes me wonder if I am under estimating him with semi positive comments like that. As a Vikings fan maybe I don't appreciate him enough. He definitely has played well enough that he is going to be paid and I don't really think it will be by the Vikings, but who knows.

I have to wonder if Carson Palmer is done. Fitzgerald did sign a contract extension, so maybe that helps bring Palmer back for another year.

Kirk Cousins is kind of a wild card I think. Washington if they francise him again have to pay a ton. So I could see him going to a new team.

I would expect Rivers to keep playing much like Ben. Not sure if he goes to another team though. That seems possible if I recall correctly some of the stuff I was reading about that before this season started.

Dalton is a potential out with not that much dead money. Seems more likely if they do change the head coach as well.

This offseason should be an interesting one.

2018 NFL mock draft: Updated 4-round projections after Week 10

I thought this was a nice article that Faust linked in the 2018 prospects thread because of how deep the author goes with their mock.

I am not really sure how good these QBs coming in are, but there does seem to be a lot of QB worth drafting anyways, so a lot of new talent incoming. The author has 6 QB being drafted in the first round then 5 more QBs after that.

I really don't expect Brees to retire. The Saints are playing well right now. I expect they retain Brees and Payton.

I don't think Alex Smith is going anywhere and he is still under contract for another season. I think Mahomes has to wait another year for his chance.

I don't really think Ben will retire either. He maybe isn't playing as well as he used to, but I think he plays at least another season for the Steelers. 

I find it really interesting that posters thus far like Keenum as much as they do. Poor mans Brees? Really? Good enough to start for the Steelers? It makes me wonder if I am under estimating him with semi positive comments like that. As a Vikings fan maybe I don't appreciate him enough. He definitely has played well enough that he is going to be paid and I don't really think it will be by the Vikings, but who knows.

I have to wonder if Carson Palmer is done. Fitzgerald did sign a contract extension, so maybe that helps bring Palmer back for another year.

Kirk Cousins is kind of a wild card I think. Washington if they francise him again have to pay a ton. So I could see him going to a new team.

I would expect Rivers to keep playing much like Ben. Not sure if he goes to another team though. That seems possible if I recall correctly some of the stuff I was reading about that before this season started.

Dalton is a potential out with not that much dead money. Seems more likely if they do change the head coach as well.

This offseason should be an interesting one.
I think Brees and Ben are back but if either wins the super bowl I could see either ending on a high note. Not many players get to do that and it’s usually not too magical if they return. 

As far as keenum goes, he’s gettinf it done. Good defense for sure, but last year Bradford won games but was getting 1-2 defensive/ST tds every game, and started losing when he wasn’t getting that support. The real test is coming- Rams at home, then a road trip where they can secure their hold atop the north vs det, and road games vs Carolina and atlanta. If they go 1-3 teddy comes in. If they go 2-2 or better he’s in for a payday from somebody, even if it’s a 1-3 yr deal. Especially if the market has less to offer than these November speculations...

Pretty sure cousins can’t be franchised again. Maybe I’m wrong on this, I’ll see if I can find some clarity. 

ETA: It would appear that he can be franchised a 3rd year for about 35million. I thought there was language in the cba that prevented a 3rd tag but perhaps that was the old one.

I thought Smith was on his last year- wonder what kind of cap hit they are taking and how much $$ they’ll have tied up at the qb spot. Here is another spot where the rest of the season is going to provide clarity- if smith keeps playing at a high level, how do you go not try to lock him up for the future? If he loses a few games and they miss the playoffs or even lose wildcard weekend they probably shop him. 

I wonder if perhaps a summary list of every free agent would be a good way to organize these ideas? 

Alex Smith is under contract next year and it is actually a somewhat significant although not impossible dead cap hit if they cut him or trade him of $3.6 million.

Comparing the wins for Bradford last year and Keenum this year just on the QB play isn't really fair. The Vikings offensive line has really improved. The Vikings couldn't run the ball at all last year. Bradfords first game of the season is still better than any game Keenum has played.

Bradford is trying to get healthy and I would expect him to be a starter for a team next year.

The contracts that were given out to Hoyer and Glennon this year just prove how desperate teams are for QBs and the market for them is really high. Bradford is better than these guys. The injury will likely force him to take a bit less money though and likely a short term prove it type deal.

I wonder if/when the giants draft a qb, do they sit him a year under manning or let manning go? 

Also when I refer to keenum as a “poor mans Brees” I mean he throws an accurate ball and makes good decisions but maybe lacks elite arm strength. He was stuck in the Jeff Fischer JV offense and managed to look better than the rest of the qbs they trotted through. As a lions fan, I still look at the Vikings as a contender with C.K. whereas I wrote off the Packers with hundley after the first game. He’s not a guy who will carry a team, but if your team is built but has qb issues (Jax, I’m looking at you) he could come in and win games. 

Good point on the oline being light years ahead of last year for the vikes. 

Not sure about Eli. Possible coaching change for the Giants as well which might go along with letting Eli go.

All of these guys are competitors, so kind of hard to imagine them retiring in my view until they clearly can't play well anymore.

No doubt FIshers offense and their offensive line being so bad until this year made Keenum look worse than he is. He has better receivers to work with than he ever had with the Rams as well. Keenum is more mobile than Bradford but I don't think he is as accurate. His arm strength is somewhat limited but he has made some good bucket throws at times. His throw to Diggs last week at the start of the game was as good as you could ask. It isn't consistent though. Lots of throws have poor placement. Adam Thielen erases those mistakes pretty well, Rudolph does not. Keenums connection with Rudolph has been off all year. Bradford was getting the ball to Rudolph too much.

Here is a list of the unrestricted free agent QBs

@Biabreakable can the vikes get teddy back for a year if he doesn’t play? I think I read this somewhere a few weeks ago but it was like one line in an article. 
That is still up in the air. According to sportrac they can still use the 5th year option on him because he was on the PUP for the first 6 weeks of the season.

However I have read recently that the Vikings will not do this with Teddy and let him be a free agent in good faith. I think they fully intend to keep Teddy and this is part of keeping the relationship good with him. Zimmer said he has a good relationship with Sam Bradford keeping that door open as well for him to return to the Vikings, but this would depend on the money of course.

Keenum signed a one year deal for $2 million which is pretty cheap compared to what most QBs are making right now. I don't expect the Vikings to keep him as he will be looking for his first and perhaps only big pay day.

Sorry for so much talk about the Vikings QBs but all 3 of them are free agents, and all 3 could be starting for teams next year.

That is still up in the air. According to sportrac they can still use the 5th year option on him because he was on the PUP for the first 6 weeks of the season.

However I have read recently that the Vikings will not do this with Teddy and let him be a free agent in good faith. I think they fully intend to keep Teddy and this is part of keeping the relationship good with him. Zimmer said he has a good relationship with Sam Bradford keeping that door open as well for him to return to the Vikings, but this would depend on the money of course.

Keenum signed a one year deal for $2 million which is pretty cheap compared to what most QBs are making right now. I don't expect the Vikings to keep him as he will be looking for his first and perhaps only big pay day.

Sorry for so much talk about the Vikings QBs but all 3 of them are free agents, and all 3 could be starting for teams next year.
Minnesota is one of the more desirable spots for a fa to land as well, so I’m happy to talk vikes. I agree in principle that these players are competitors. Manning and Palmer you can probably argue they are losing a little or can’t hold up physically. Brees could end on a high note but should play another year if they lose a playoff game. I really wonder if bens knees are good to go, he’s a big guy who takes a lot of punishment back there, absorbing hits and making throws.  The retirement talk surprised me this year but I think he’s really considering it. Just my feeling though. I could see B.B. and TB winning and retiring at the same time, although I don’t think they’d do that to Robert Kraft after shipping off both young backups.

Seems like that fa list has a few retirees on it- 

mccown- he’s getting up there. Desperation starter for someone? Seems like he’s priced out of a backup job, don’t know what the vet minimum is for a guy who’s been in the league that long. 

Cutler- already retired once. Any takers?

fitzpatrick- maybe he gets a backup job, or some sort of mentor spot for an incoming rookie. 

Stanton- a good sideline guy, doesn’t seem to help the team on the field

henne- just getting old

anderson- also getting old

I am pretty sure Brees is not retiring even if the win the Superbowl this year
You may be right, but that’s one of those times where there is a lot of emotion involved. I guess we’ll know pretty quickly, because he will sign or he won’t. Negotiations between him and the saints haven’t exactly been smooth over the last few years. 

Brees is not retiring under any circumstance.  He'll play for Clevland if he has too.

RK PLAYER YDS

1 Peyton Manning 71,940

2 Brett Favre 71,838

3 DREW BREES 68,509

7 ELI MANNING 50,307

8 Warren Moon4 9,325

9 BEN ROETHLISBERGER 49,411

10 PHILIP RIVERS 48,096

The HOF debate for these three should be awesome.

Not sure if any of them are first ballot HOFers, but it could be impacted based on how many retire the same year.

Brees is not retiring under any circumstance.  He'll play for Clevland if he has too.

RK PLAYER YDS

1 Peyton Manning 71,940

2 Brett Favre 71,838

3 DREW BREES 68,509
Yep. I don't know how much the record matters to him but agreed completely that he's not retiring yet.

Personally I want to see Ben, Brees and Brady all retire in 2019. Maybe Eli and Rivers can join them.

How far can Case Keenum take the Minnesota Vikings?

This article shows some interesting things such as Keenums higher use of play action passing and better success with the Vikings receivers than Britt and Austin last season with the Rams.

On third-and-6 or more, Keenum’s quarterback rating is 49.5 on 39 pass attempts and he averages 5.7 yards per attempt. Those numbers match up to his previous seasons. With Houston and St. Louis/Los Angeles, his third down YPA was 6.0 and rating 72.7. 

Coincidentally, between 2013 and 2016 on third-and-long, Teddy Bridgewater sported the league’s best YPA at 9.4 – although only on 94 throws compared to Ben Roethlisberger’s 219 at 9.3 yards per attempt. The best QBs were above their average YPA, whereas Keenum’s mark was comparable to Brandon Weeden and Chad Henne.

How far can Case Keenum take the Minnesota Vikings?

This article shows some interesting things such as Keenums higher use of play action passing and better success with the Vikings receivers than Britt and Austin last season with the Rams.
Ok, so a rich mans weeden? Good stuff here, keenum may just be a good backup, which there is still a market for. Someone will still probably pony up more than they should if he keeps winning. 

I guess I can’t argue against Brees being up against the record books, that’s something I hadn’t considered. 

I do think Keenum might get a shot to be a starter next year if he keeps playing well. Possibly even for the Vikings with the same caveat, if he keeps playing well.

Zimmer has said a few times now that he has a plan. I think that plan is Teddy Bridgewater being the Vikings starter, but Teddy isn't out of the woods yet, still has a lot to prove himself before they can be fully confident in him as the starter. It is more the relationship that the coaches and the whole team has with Bridgewater. Zimmer has said before Teddys injury that he sees Teddy as the leader of this team and the QB who he feels represents him on the field.

Regardless of what happens Keenum is going to get paid more next season. How much more and if it is as a back up or starter still remains to be seen. He at least has proven to be a very good back up that teams can win with as long as they are coached a bit better than Jeff FIsher.

Ok, so a rich mans weeden? Good stuff here, keenum may just be a good backup, which there is still a market for. Someone will still probably pony up more than they should if he keeps winning. 

I guess I can’t argue against Brees being up against the record books, that’s something I hadn’t considered. 
Not only that, NO will want that to happen in NO.

Yep. I don't know how much the record matters to him but agreed completely that he's not retiring yet.

Personally I want to see Ben, Brees and Brady all retire in 2019. Maybe Eli and Rivers can join them.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RHh6_bA0OrE

Up 22, late in the fourth.  Smart play is to run the ball and take time off the clock.  Trees wanted the record on Monday Nite Football.  

He'd play of the Browns if he had to in order to secure the record.

Nice job with updating the OP

Basically the teams that I think could have a different starting QB than who they are starting right now are:

Arizona - This one is really up in the air. Coaching change possible as well. I like the Tyrod Taylor idea if Arians stays as the HC

Minnesota - I think the Vikings are going to throw a lot of money at Keenum and I am not sure they won't regret it later. Try to keep Bridgewater somehow as well.

Washington - To me they should just stick with Cousins. They have been reluctant to do that so far though. Paid a lot of money to not be locked in with him long term. I don't really expect a change but Cousins could force their hand and go to another team. I don't think they can afford to francise him again.

Giants - Eli does look close to done if not done. He is still the best option they have on the roster however. The HC is out already, so perhaps they move on from Eli as well with the new coach they hire, maybe not.

Denver - This is sort of similar to the MN situation, 3 QBs who could possibly be the starter for them next year, but none of them have really played well enough to clear this up.

Cleveland - Not sure if they stick with Hue Jackson or not. While Kizer hasn't played that well, that should be expected. Maybe the Browns draft another QB high this year to compete with him? I think Kizer is too young to turn the page on yet.

Cincinatti - I am not sure how much of the Bengals offensive struggles are on Dalton? I know in most recent game, he made a bad decision and throw on his interception to Eric Kendricks. So thats on him. However the offensive line and coaching are the main differences from my perspective, and if the Bengals can shore up those 2 areas Dalton can play better than he has this year. They do likely need to push him with competition. Maybe the Bengals draft a QB in the 1st round this year? If so they have Dalton start until the rookie is ready. Similar to what they did with Kitna and Palmer before.

Pittsburgh - I don't really expect Ben to retire, but if he does then the Steelers become an attractive landing spot for free agent QBs.

New England - I  don't expect Brady to retire and he has played well this year. He is 40 though so who knows?

Buffalo - They seem to be trying to move on from Taylor.

New York Jets - There should definitely be some new blood here. I still kind of like Bryce Petty but I don't think he is the answer.

Here is a list of the free agent QBs

Some interesting players such as Bradford, Keenum, Bridgewater, maybe Cousins being QBs who go to new teams. Other than that you have some older career back up QBs who teams might look to sign as a bridge starter.

As I already mentioned the rookie QB class looks pretty deep for 2018. So teams may be adding competition that way. The above teams seem most likely to be interested in high picks at QB due to need, although I expect San Francisco and Minnesota to re-sign Garrapalo and the Vikings likely Keenum.

Wow, how about that? Go figure.  Who woulda thunk it?

Carson Palmer retired and so did Arians. A vacuum of QB talent and unknown who the head coach will be. Status of Fitzgerald may be up in the air. He said he was coming back if Palmer did at one point I read. Not sure his feelings about Arians stepping down either. Consummate professional so he likely plays, just saying the two moves may change his outlook as well.

IF the Cardinals sign Pat Shurmur where there is reported interest, then perhaps Keenum or Bradford signs to be the Cardinals QB.

However Shurmur rumored to be going to the Giants, which means Arizona will have a different coach and still need a QB.

In regards to the Giants I haven't speculated on how that might change their offense. Shurmur would have a lot of good players to work with, but help needed on the offensive line still. Could be trusted to develop a rookie QB and perhaps the Giants keep Eli for the 2018 season as the starter.

Its an interesting idea to me thinking of Eli perhaps starting for another team. I wonder how he will do?

Carson Palmer retired and so did Arians. A vacuum of QB talent and unknown who the head coach will be. Status of Fitzgerald may be up in the air. He said he was coming back if Palmer did at one point I read. Not sure his feelings about Arians stepping down either. Consummate professional so he likely plays, just saying the two moves may change his outlook as well.

IF the Cardinals sign Pat Shurmur where there is reported interest, then perhaps Keenum or Bradford signs to be the Cardinals QB.

However Shurmur rumored to be going to the Giants, which means Arizona will have a different coach and still need a QB.

In regards to the Giants I haven't speculated on how that might change their offense. Shurmur would have a lot of good players to work with, but help needed on the offensive line still. Could be trusted to develop a rookie QB and perhaps the Giants keep Eli for the 2018 season as the starter.

Its an interesting idea to me thinking of Eli perhaps starting for another team. I wonder how he will do?
Thanks, I’ll edit those. Came back to update Brees and didn’t really spend time on the rest of te stuff. 

Regardless of what happens Keenum is going to get paid more next season. How much more and if it is as a back up or starter still remains to be seen. He at least has proven to be a very good back up that teams can win with as long as they are coached a bit better than Jeff FIsher.
If he's smart he'll follow Shurmur wherever he lands, but with all signs pointing to Shurmur going to the NYG it'll depend on whether there's an appetite to move on from Eli.

My gut always said the guy was going to take the most money available, and that might mean the Jets.

Why isn't Keenum the future?....The Vikings would be remiss if they don't keep Keenum as their starter... IMO He has already proved himself better than Bridgewater and Bradford.

Why isn't Keenum the future?....The Vikings would be remiss if they don't keep Keenum as their starter... IMO He has already proved himself better than Bridgewater and Bradford.
That's my thought. But if the Vikings aren't willing to pay who knows. 

Crazy thought if Shurmur heads to the Giants. Trade Eli to Denver get a conditional pick, sign Keenum. 

Users who are viewing this thread