What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2019-20 NBA Thread: new forum, same great taste (7 Viewers)

Woj tweeted that the Lakers are going to work out Howard, Speights and Noah. Maybe Gortat also.

I look forward to seeing how one of those guys, Davis, James and Kuzma defend perimeter shooters. The Lakers could give up the most 3 pointers of all time.

:championship:

Last edited by a moderator:
Another video of Simmons hitting jumpers in pickup. Nothing earthshaking and he certainly won’t be stef curry, but I think teams will not be able to totally ignore his shot this season from midrange at least. 3s tbd. 

Billy King was on The Rights to Ricky Sanchez this past weekend and had a few interesting nuggets which perhaps are well-known, but I have not been paying attention to him:

-The KG/Pierce deal with the Celtics was done with the idea that they would basically have a 2-year window with those guys, and then would spend in FA and/or whatever they needed to do financially.  Then Russia invaded Ukraine, Russians got hit with sanctions, and Prokhorov's appetite/ability to spend was significantly hampered, thereby torpedoing the plan.

-When King was with the Sixers, he talked with Pat Croce and/or Ed Snider every day and had a running dialogue about all the things that he was thinking about the team, so the decision-making process was easy and straight-forward.  Prokhorov on the other hand spent most of his time in Moscow and had no cell phone and no e-mail.  Anything that King needed communicated would go through Prokhorov's right-hand man, Dmitri.  King never really knew exactly what Dmitri said to Prokohorov and/or what his thought process was with anything.  They only had 1 face-to-face meeting in 5 and a half years: the day that Prokorov fired him.

-His final trade as GM of the Sixers was, in fact, the acquisition of the titular Rights to Ricky Sanchez.

The K team lost to Australia last night 
It was a very entertaining game in front of 50,000 Australian fans in a domed stadium.  NBA TV ran the Australian feed with their homer announcers.

USA didn't move the ball on offense and settled for either deep 3PTs or kamikaze drives to the hoop.  Australia cut them up on defense especially with Bogut playing the high post although the US had some success with their press.  Even without the big stars, the Americans clearly were more talented but they'll have to improve their organization before the tournament.

The extra two hour time difference between China and Melbourne is going to make the World Cup harder to watch live from the West Coast. :thumbdown:

The Nets and Caris Levert have agreed to a 3 year, $52MM extension that will begin in the '20-'21 season. Levert has had problems staying on the floor, but at full strength he was arguably Brooklyn's best player last season. If he can stay healthy, I think this ends up being a very team-friendly deal for the Nets. 

The Nets and Caris Levert have agreed to a 3 year, $52MM extension that will begin in the '20-'21 season. Levert has had problems staying on the floor, but at full strength he was arguably Brooklyn's best player last season. If he can stay healthy, I think this ends up being a very team-friendly deal for the Nets. 
very nice deal for the Nets.  Levert could blow up this year with KD out.

Long Ball Larry said:
i knew this was ####### nuts.  no wonder the suns were so terrible.
Oh wow, I didn’t catch this before - that’s pretty wild. Both the timing and the value of this extension surprised me. I was honestly expecting Levert to play this season out and elevate his value after last year’s huge injury, ending up with an extension in the $20-22MM/yr range. I suppose with his injury history, he thought it would be wise to take the $52MM while it was still on the table. Can’t say I blame him.

Oh wow, I didn’t catch this before - that’s pretty wild. Both the timing and the value of this extension surprised me. I was honestly expecting Levert to play this season out and elevate his value after last year’s huge injury, ending up with an extension in the $20-22MM/yr range. I suppose with his injury history, he thought it would be wise to take the $52MM while it was still on the table. Can’t say I blame him.
DeMarcus Cousins is probably a cautionary tale to many right now.

So is anybody watching this World Cup?
nope. if I knew when they were on I may tune in, and sounds like the last game was kind of fun with Ilyasova and Korkmaz taking the US to OT but just collapsing in OT. but now with the NFL getting ready to start I can't imagine I would see any of the games unless it was in my way

nope. if I knew when they were on I may tune in, and sounds like the last game was kind of fun with Ilyasova and Korkmaz taking the US to OT but just collapsing in OT. but now with the NFL getting ready to start I can't imagine I would see any of the games unless it was in my way
I didn't even realize there was a World Cup.

modogg said:
Yea whomever scheduled this thing is a group of total idiots. They took the only country who might be mildly interested in it and completely wiped them out from watching. Insanity. 

I am an Eric Gordon fan, but 4/75.6 seems bit rich for a guy at his age on a team that doesn't want to pay the tax.

edit: although i now see that the 4th year is NG so 3/54 is certainly more palatable.

Team USA basketball's downfall might be happening much sooner then I even predicted if the top stars don't even compete. Just shows how far along the other countries have come in the last 10 or so yrs while the US lack of depth after you take away their top guys is glaring. I'm not saying sound the alarms the US is doomed just yet but if this #### keeps up US won't be medaling the next olympics and it might be the reality wake up check call USA/Basketball needs. We've gotten really complacent and cocky about our status over the last decade and haven't really helped develop any new talents that aren't our superstars. I honestly hope we fail just to give this country a wake up call that maybe its time to go to a different plan on player development before its too late 

Team USA basketball's downfall might be happening much sooner then I even predicted if the top stars don't even compete. Just shows how far along the other countries have come in the last 10 or so yrs while the US lack of depth after you take away their top guys is glaring. I'm not saying sound the alarms the US is doomed just yet but if this #### keeps up US won't be medaling the next olympics and it might be the reality wake up check call USA/Basketball needs. We've gotten really complacent and cocky about our status over the last decade and haven't really helped develop any new talents that aren't our superstars. I honestly hope we fail just to give this country a wake up call that maybe its time to go to a different plan on player development before its too late 
It’s not cocky at all. Maybe our 15th best player is the star of the team? Mitchell also in the top-25? That’s it. If this team had Lebron, Kawhi, Curry, Klay, Aaron Gordon, Harden etc every game would be a murder scene. 

I mean for God’s sake Joe Harris and that mediocre point guard for the Spurs that Pop is carrying around are logging major minutes out there. 

It’s not cocky at all. Maybe our 15th best player is the star of the team? Mitchell also in the top-25? That’s it. If this team had Lebron, Kawhi, Curry, Klay, Aaron Gordon, Harden etc every game would be a murder scene. 
I disagree. Harden isn't great for the FIBA rules. Russ is a lot better player (I mean productivity overall of helping the team) then harden would be as Russ's play fits FIBA and International rules and he even has said he'd like for NBA to adapt to a lot of these rules. Lebron may not play another international game now that his kids are growing. Kawhi then becomes our best player. Not sure Gordon is a fit with international rules as you need consistency stretching the floor with the bigs. Klay and Curry there? I could see if they were healthy playing. My point is what happens if more of our top guys decide to pull out what happened this year more often? We're in trouble. 

We need to stop with this mentality of "well the above guys didn't play" because they aren't gonna save us if they refuse to not play these games in the long run. We lack overall player development. I've been harping for awhile I'd like America to go change the rules to more international. I think some of these NBA rules saturate the game today 

I disagree. Harden isn't great for the FIBA rules. Russ is a lot better player (I mean productivity overall of helping the team) then harden would be as Russ's play fits FIBA and International rules and he even has said he'd like for NBA to adapt to a lot of these rules. Lebron may not play another international game now that his kids are growing. Kawhi then becomes our best player. Not sure Gordon is a fit with international rules as you need consistency stretching the floor with the bigs. Klay and Curry there? I could see if they were healthy playing. My point is what happens if more of our top guys decide to pull out what happened this year more often? We're in trouble. 

We need to stop with this mentality of "well the above guys didn't play" because they aren't gonna save us if they refuse to not play these games in the long run. We lack overall player development. I've been harping for awhile I'd like America to go change the rules to more international. I think some of these NBA rules saturate the game today 
Look man, team USA hasn’t lost since like 2004 before an Australia exhibition last week. They’re fine, I can’t really be worried about a team that won 180 straight. There are 20+ players who could be on the team but aren’t. They’re doing the best they can with a weak roster. 

(I was kidding about Gordon but I can tell how it’s not obvious when this team has Derrick White on it) 

I'm waiting for the team to put on an age limit and keep this just for the younger kids (then I remember shoe companies would riot).  Wouldn't mind seeing a token 'old man' of the team.  Like an Udonis Haslem of the Heat, but for USA basketball this year it would have been Dwayne Wade.

:lmao:  @ "player development"

Player enticement would be the bigger need.  It just isn't worth their while for the best players to play in international competitions, especially in non-Olympic years.

We have plenty of developed players, just not enough of our best are willing to risk injury for 'Merica.

can't wait for the season to start - it's our new Celtic leaders that made it possible for Team USA to take Turkey to overtime!!

Yea whomever scheduled this thing is a group of total idiots. They took the only country who might be mildly interested in it and completely wiped them out from watching. Insanity. 
I think you are overstating the interest here in the US and understating it abroad. The tournament is in China, wouldn't be surprised if over a billion people watched one of these games. 

I think you are overstating the interest here in the US and understating it abroad. The tournament is in China, wouldn't be surprised if over a billion people watched one of these games. 
I think a billion is too high. 

But ya a lot of them there are probably watching, and Canadians are probably more into it than Americans.  We actually have a decent amount of NBA players in thre.

You could be right for sure. 

Users who are viewing this thread