What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2019 NFL Combine News (1 Viewer)

I'm a second late, he is bigger then I thought. 

5'10 1/8", 207, 9 1/2" hands

Not bad but not sure he an run at 207 like he did last year

The only thing they should check QBs for is throw velocity. Maybe the touch on their deep ball.

Expecting them to throw to guys they've not played with before running unfamiliar routes is silly. Watch the tape.
I've never understood why they bother with throwing routes to strangers. It's like watching Pro Bowl warmups out there.

The NFL has, almost literally, all the money in the world. They should spend a million of it putting together a "target practice" course with various sized targets, mounted to robot arms that move at various distances, directions, and speeds to mimic a typical route tree. Each one has a light above it and when that light flashes, that's where the QB has to throw it. Points awarded for accuracy to target and reaction time. It'd be like Sports Science meets American Ninja Warrior. Ratings would go through the roof.

I'm a second late, he is bigger then I thought. 

5'10 1/8", 207, 9 1/2" hands

Not bad but not sure he an run at 207 like he did last year
Yeah, I'd be suspicious if he doesn't do any of the running drills at the combine and I'm sure NFL GMs would be too. What's to keep him from bulking up to 207 for weigh-ins and then dropping back to 190-195 to run the drills at his pro day?

Anyone know what time the RB's start drills tomorrow?  It says 9 AM ET start but that's the whole group, I guess they don't have estimates on when each group goes through each thing?  

And yet somehow year after year for decades every player has somehow escaped without permanent PTSD from the event.  Oh my, but so many possible victims!

From the some of the players I’ve heard speaking about the Combine the worst part is the utter boredom from waiting around for their turn to participate.
It's not PTSD but they do have really long days. They are booked solid from like 7 AM to 7 PM with interviews, medicals, workouts, etc. I don't have an issue with it but it's like they just show up at arena, run a 40 and go back to bed. 

The only thing they should check QBs for is throw velocity. Maybe the touch on their deep ball.

Expecting them to throw to guys they've not played with before running unfamiliar routes is silly. Watch the tape.
100%. There is nothing at the combine that correlates to success other than velocity. 

voiceofunreason said:
So you don’t think they will be under scrutiny and stress in the nfl?

I think people have it backwards, teams don’t care much about timed drills. They want to look players in the eye and see how they react to pressure. If 40 times were important you may be right but they aren’t.
The Combine takes place over four days and the physical testing isn't until the final day after they are drawn through the ringer mentally/emotionally/etc. so it isn't about metrics of physical evaluation.  It does lead up the physical testing and begins with the easiest part of just measured so It isn't about the physical or the mental aspects of the game and even though people think is a big stress test, they miss the point because it isn't about how they handle stress either.

It is about one thing....

From someone who was there and knew what to expect because his brother also was drafted and participated in the Combine:

What teams are really interested in from players is how they respond to four days that’s really just one big mental test. Retired NFL lineman Geoff Schwartz explains.

Here is the general four-day schedule for an athlete at the combine.

Day 1: Arrival —> hospital pre-exam and X-rays —> overflow testing —> orientation —> team interviews

Day 2: Measurements —> medical examinations —> overflow testing —> team interviews

Day 3: Psychological testing —> NFLPA meeting —> workout —> media session —> bench press —> team interviews

Day 4 : On-field workouts (timing, stations, skill drills)

The schedule is set up so the physical part of the combine, the on-field drills and testing, happens on the final day, when you’re mentally exhausted and looking forward to going home. It’s all a mental test to see how you handle the pressure and the stress of a four-day interview process.

...the Holy Grail of questions — the many variants “Do you love football?”

Front offices and coaching staffs are grinders by nature. They spend countless hours tucked away in the facility watching film, game planning, and drawing up cards. They LOVE the game and they want their players to love the game...
Schwartz has the courage to define what he means by LOVING football, he says they have to love not just playing but also preparation, learning/meetings etc.  Everything boiled down into one word, they have to love it.  We have seen where 'some' have taken this too far in trying to break down prospects but don't think for one moment that metrics don't count.  Anyone can try to guesstimate how much a guy loves football by trying to make him cry   [...try breaking you. I had a coach who once told me his job was to make players cry in those meetings...]  This in't WWII and the aren't this guy>>>   Patton's pile of Goo.  Any team trying that hard has gone off the rails IMHO.

Do you love football is such a dumb question. Doesn’t every combine participant know to say ‘yes absolutely’ to this? A better question is what don’t you like about football and see how they answer it. If they say nothing they are misrepresenting things. 

Last edited by a moderator:
But McNabb had a relatively poor combine, so aren't you kind of proving his point here more than contradicting it? 
I don't want to bog down in this now that the actual combine is going on, but ... poor how? He ran the 3rd-fastest 40, had the 3rd-best broad, and was middle of the pack everywhere else. And over the years Andy Reid has talked about how McNabb's combine interviews and overall field presence were part of what persuaded the Eagles to take him over Ricky Williams, so it wasn't that.

Doesn't really matter though. The point of my analogy was simply that you can test an athlete's physical and mental endurance in many ways. The gauntlet they run them through at the Combine may do that! But nobody can know how someone's going to respond to do-or-die pressure in a game situation until .... you see them face do-or-die pressure in a game situation. Putting them through the former and thinking it gives you insight into the latter is just deluding yourself.

227 lbs is okay for him
Not worried about his weight, just his height. Not many WRs that tall in the NFL. Can he get separation with those long legs/long stride? He’s just so far out of the norm that it makes me nervous. It doesn’t mean a WR that tall can’t succeed but it’s tougher to draw comps.

1. The do you love football is best answered by actions and not words.  Thus putting players through the long and tense process over 4 days makes it harder to hide your level of "love" for the game if you really are there just to make money or other reasons outside the game.  If you watch this year, you will likely see several players not accepting instruction very well - the other big indicator will be their body language not giving off the best vibe on that fourth day.

2. Listening to NFL radio over the last two weeks, I have heard one ex-GM, two current GMs, and a scout at different times comment that they want all the QBs to throw because they want competitor at that position.  They all said they did not care how accurate they were since these are all players they are unfamiliar with (Cam Newton example was used as an example of a player that threw terrible at the combine and was still the #1 pick).  In fact the ex-GM said they really used the passing to WR drills to determine how well the WR could catch errant passes and only would focus on arm strength on the QB if there were questions on the tape.

Man it's amazing seeing these gigantic offensive lineman sprint and wiggle around in various drills. It's just awesome. That said, I can't wait for the RBs to start.

it's amazing seeing these gigantic offensive lineman
Josh Norris‏Verified account @JoshNorris

Joe Thomas is breaking down OL play better than anyone else I’ve heard on TV. Critical factors, what really matters. Thanks for the teaching session.

7:21 AM - 1 Mar 2019

----------------------------------

John Laub  🇺🇸‏ @GridironSchol91 10m10 minutes ago

What channel?

--------------------------------

Josh Norris‏Verified account @JoshNorris 5m5 minutes ago

NFLN

-------------------------------

Rats!  

Don't have NFLN.

Josh Norris‏Verified account @JoshNorris

Joe Thomas is breaking down OL play better than anyone else I’ve heard on TV. Critical factors, what really matters. Thanks for the teaching session.

7:21 AM - 1 Mar 2019

----------------------------------

John Laub  🇺🇸‏ @GridironSchol91 10m10 minutes ago

What channel?

--------------------------------

Josh Norris‏Verified account @JoshNorris 5m5 minutes ago

NFLN

-------------------------------

Rats!  

Don't have NFLN.
Very true. Joe Thomas has been outstanding. OL just ended their drills.

And I went from being moderately excited about this RB class to being humbled that it is the complete trash their production shows.

Anyone watching?  Seeing some unofficial 40 times for RBs trickling onto the NFL combine tracker website.  Nothing that jumps out as amazing thus far as unofficial.  Henderson/Harris at !4.50 is likely fast enough for each of them.  Singletary at 4.55 likely isn't.  I hope Montgomery throws up a bit faster official time than 4.63, maybe something like 4.55.  Snell also with some work to do.  And was Holyfield at mid 4.7's expected?  Yikes. 

• Myles Gaskin - 4.56
  • Damien Harris - 4.49
  • Darrell Henderson - 4.50
  • Karan Higdon - 4.50
  • Justice Hill - 4.44
  • Elijah Holyfield - 4.76 :X
  • Travis Homer - 4.46
  • David Montgomery - 4.63 :oldunsure:
  • Miles Sanders - 4.45
  • Devin Singletary - 4.55
  • Benny Snell - 4.65 :oldunsure:

Anyone watching?  Seeing some unofficial 40 times for RBs trickling onto the NFL combine tracker website.  Nothing that jumps out as amazing thus far as unofficial.  Henderson/Harris at !4.50 is likely fast enough for each of them.  Singletary at 4.55 likely isn't.  I hope Montgomery throws up a bit faster official time than 4.63, maybe something like 4.55.  Snell also with some work to do.  And was Holyfield at mid 4.7's expected?  Yikes. 

• Myles Gaskin - 4.56
  • Damien Harris - 4.49
  • Darrell Henderson - 4.50
  • Karan Higdon - 4.50
  • Justice Hill - 4.44
  • Elijah Holyfield - 4.76 :X
  • Travis Homer - 4.46
  • David Montgomery - 4.63 :oldunsure:
  • Miles Sanders - 4.45
  • Devin Singletary - 4.55
  • Benny Snell - 4.65 :oldunsure:
Just not a good class.....

I’m going to be mildly upset when Darwin Thompson runs a 4.5 or below and missed out on competing with this trash.

I’ve been quiet about it but I really like Jordan Scarlett. He was in my top ten after watching his tape. Statistics didn’t align with justifying it but I think he may end up on the fringes of my top 10 given his situation at Florida.

Singletary feels like the biggest disappointment for me. Was expecting under 4.5 based on his highlights. 4.66, makes me think he just outran bad competition at Florida Atlantic.
Bad size, bad speed, lack of recieving profile, small school competition... pass.

Why would Singletary/Holyfield even run with those kind of times? 

Good day for Henderson, Harris, Sanders, Scarlett, Weber. The latter four all faster than I was expecting. 

Bad for Singletary, Holyfield, and to a lesser extent Montgomery. 

There's 1 winner here and it's Darrell Henderson.  At least on the big names.  Mike Weber would be the other

I love Sanders' time (4.5), Trayveon Williams' time (4.51), and Damien Harris (4.49), Justice Hill's time is also good at 4.42

Singletary is a huge disappointment but he was sliding on my board anyways.  He immediately drops to the 3rd round for me.  The other disappointing one is Elijah Holyfield, he slides too

Kind of disappointed that Jalin Moore couldn't run I guess and that Josh Jacobs didn't  

That basically sums up my thoughts on the 40 there.  

Agree and would also base accuracy on their last full season, not on one all star game or even combine throws to new receivers. 

Users who are viewing this thread