What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2020: The Race For the White House - The Good Place (3 Viewers)

who is Thing2 for the SuperDelegates (controlled by teachers & unions & Hillary) in the event of a Biden collapse? pretty sure that's why Peteyjudge ran for DNC Chair in '17, but i dont know if he made more friends or enemies in his bid.
I would guess more friends - he dropped out early enough, and he has seemed to have kept favor with establishment Dem fundraisers 

Not sure when Peter Daou became a scorched earth supreme being, but I’m extremely here for it:

@peterdaou

HARSH TRUTH:

The entire Dem establishment played a role in allowing the far right to ascend to the pinnacle of power. To overrun the judiciary. To shred our rights and values.

That includes the Clintons, Obamas, Biden, Pelosi, Schumer, Hoyer, etc.

The party needs an overhaul.

Not sure when Peter Daou became a scorched earth supreme being, but I’m extremely here for it:

@peterdaou

HARSH TRUTH:

The entire Dem establishment played a role in allowing the far right to ascend to the pinnacle of power. To overrun the judiciary. To shred our rights and values.

Or perhaps overhaul the party (GOP) doing the shredding and overrunning?

New USA Today/Suffolk National poll:

Biden - 26%
Warren - 17%
Sanders - 13%
Buttigieg - 10%

Gabbard - 4%
Yang - 3%
Harris - 3%
Klobuchar - 2%
Booker  - 2%

The Democratic field now has a top tier of four candidates – Biden, Warren, Sanders and now Buttigieg, whose standing rose four points from the August poll. They were followed by Hawaii Rep. Tulsi Gabbard at 4% – up from less than 1 percent last time –and entrepreneur Andrew Yang at 3% each.

California Sen. Kamala Harris was also at 3%, a drop of three points from August. Minnesota Sen. Amy Klobuchar, credited with a strong performance in the last debate, was at 2% – not a big number, but better than in August, when she registered no support. New Jersey Sen. Cory Booker also was at 2%.

None of the other eleven candidates had support higher than 1%, a troubling sign as they try to raise money and break through. Seven of them had either no or only a single backer in the survey.

This is probably a bad sign - which is a shame.

Kamala Harris to slash staff, restructure campaign as she hemorrhages cash

Kamala Harris is dramatically restructuring her campaign by redeploying staffers to Iowa and laying off dozens of aides at her Baltimore headquarters, according to campaign sources and a memo obtained by POLITICO Wednesday, as she struggles to resuscitate her beleaguered presidential bid.

The moves come as Harris is hemorrhaging cash and in danger of lacking the resources to mount a competitive bid against better-funded rivals in Iowa. The overhaul will touch nearly every facet of Harris’ operation, with layoffs or re-deployments coming at headquarters, as well as in New Hampshire, Nevada and her home state of California, a Super Tuesday prize that her advisers once viewed as a big asset.

This is probably a bad sign - which is a shame.
Not a shame at all, she proved herself not capable.  She is an example of exactly what the country doesn't want.

Clowned in debates.

Unlikable.

Career politician.

Have a nice offseason, Kamala.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sinn Fein said:
Pre-Draft Rankings - based on staying power, and potential to win delegates

Tier 1

Warren - has money, momentum and a broad base of support - she will be there until the convention

Tier 1b

Sanders - has money and incentive to stay in the race until the convention.  Only issue is health, which could force him to the sidelines prematurely, has loyal, but shrinking base

Tier 2

Biden - Pseudo Front-Runner, but struggling with financial support - does represent the moderate wing of the party, but will drop out if he loses that title

Buttigieg - has money, and is competing with Biden for the moderate wing.  One will likely make it all the way, one will likely drop out along the way.
As a Republican, nothing makes me happier than seeing this clownshow at the top.

Good point.  I like my politicians to be only part-time.

Same thing with career teachers and career surgeons and career engineers  etc
Running the country slightly different than teaching 8 year olds or performing open heart surgery.

The more private sector experience we can get into the govt., the better off it will be.  

Career politicians are ruining the country.   Automatically disqualifies most of the Democratic candidates.....do gooders that really don't know how to execute, but boy can they talk and debate!!

@peterdaou

HARSH TRUTH:

You're never going to see me going out of my way to agree w @renhookedonpolemics, but he's right:

Carter: killed New Deal/Great Society America without disassembling it

Reagan: Disassembled as much as he could, successfully replacing much of it with ruinous oligarchical policies

Bush: Reagan Lite

Clinton: Spent most of the time showing how Republican Democrats could be, just plain gave away ownership of the digisphere in CA96 and the GOP still went after him.

Bush2: Ruined our international reputation, squandered lives & treasure on childish adventurism, privatized what he couldnt sell to industry lobbies, cancelled governmental control of finance, deepened power of executive branch by leaps & bounds

Obama: ..........*chirp*............. :tumbleweed: ..............bad health compromise............*chirp*............ :shrug: ...........(ETA: NO significant reversal of Dubya damage)

Trump: Giant Baby Godzilla Hour

Biden: nostalgia crickets & tumbleweeds

Next: Sarah Palin leading militias controlling food, water, fuel from MadMaxine turret jeep

Running the country slightly different than teaching 8 year olds or performing open heart surgery.

The more private sector experience we can get into the govt., the better off it will be.  

Career politicians are ruining the country.   Automatically disqualifies most of the Democratic candidates.....do gooders that really don't know how to execute, but boy can they talk and debate!!
Well that is one way to look at things I guess.

Mitch McConnell and Kevin McCarthy are the very definition of "career politicians".  Neither one of them have any real experience in the private sector.  

Totally agree.  :goodposting:

IOWA Poll - NYT/Siena College:

Warren - 22%
Sanders - 19%
Buttigieg - 18%
Biden - 17%

Klobuchar - 4%
Harris - 3%
Yang - 3%
Booker - 2%
Gabbard - 2%
Steyer - 2%

:coffee:
If you read the NY Times article there's a bunch of additional interesting findings in this poll.  What jumped out at me the most is that Biden's only at 2% among Iowa voters 45 and under.  That's a brutal number for him.

A fairly important campaign event tonight - Liberty-Justice Dinner (formerly Jefferson-Jackson Dinner) in Des Moines.  In 2008, many people credit Obama's performance as the catalyst to his going on to win Iowa, and ultimately the nomination.

I think it will be a little more difficult this year, with so many candidates - but it will be an opportunity to see the candidates ground games in action - measuring the support turnout.  I am expecting a big performance from Buttigieg, but I would also expect a big turnout for both Warren and Sanders also.  I would be mildly surprised if Biden has a good showing - either in his speech or his turnout.

I would support something like this but it's really dumb to keep talking about this considering where we are politically.  Americans aren't clamoring for something this even though they should be.  She's trying to hit a grand slam with nobody on base. 
It's pretty popular among Democratic primary voters.

I totally believe that demonizing the rich is an idea ripe for exploiting. Health care costs are outstripping inflation -- and enriching a few in the process -- and wealth inequality continues to grow. It may be the right time for Dems like Warren to make people aware that, money notwithstanding, we poors can't be defeated at the polls if we unite in the effort.

I totally believe that demonizing the rich is an idea ripe for exploiting. Health care costs are outstripping inflation -- and enriching a few in the process -- and wealth inequality continues to grow. It may be the right time for Dems like Warren to make people aware that, money notwithstanding, we poors can't be defeated at the polls if we unite in the effort.
Please give your definition of “the rich”

IMO this would be more divisive than uniting. Why do we need to demonize people?

I would support something like this but it's really dumb to keep talking about this considering where we are politically.  Americans aren't clamoring for something this even though they should be.  She's trying to hit a grand slam with nobody on base. 
I do like that she’s being detailed and upfront about the costs. The quote they pull from Senator Sanders at the end of the article looks leas flattering in comparison:

“You’re asking me to come up with an exact detailed plan of how every American — how much you’re going to pay more in taxes, how much I’m going to pay,” he said. “I don’t think I have to do that right now.”

I hate how everything is extreme now in regards to political beliefs.  The Discourse demands that if you are even slightly against something, you have to be vehemently against it and demonize "the other" in all ways possible in the strongest possible terms.  The pendulum for the past 20 years is swinging soooo violently and its only getting worse.   The blowback from the Trump years is going to be hella-fierce.

That said...its hard not to argue what this very persuasive graph shows:  https://imgur.com/gallery/xhYCQh4

There certainly needs to be a correction on upper rates.

Demonizing doesn't work unless you can represent being for something better. If a group makes a proper case for its cause - places fairness over favoritism, accountability over corruption, citizenship over customerhood or whatever - then it can demonize wealth successfully. But you gotta stand for before you point at. And there is no institution without a long history of having a deeply conflicted base &/or corrupt leadership and therefore has no standing to file a claim. And, dirtylittlesecretwise, America wants what the rich have anyway. Because Reaganism & media exploded at the same time, this country don't know another way than to join & have & want & drool. As long as having is better than being, we got no basis to accuse, and our blues is just complaining.

A fairly important campaign event tonight - Liberty-Justice Dinner (formerly Jefferson-Jackson Dinner) in Des Moines.  In 2008, many people credit Obama's performance as the catalyst to his going on to win Iowa, and ultimately the nomination.

I think it will be a little more difficult this year, with so many candidates - but it will be an opportunity to see the candidates ground games in action - measuring the support turnout.  I am expecting a big performance from Buttigieg, but I would also expect a big turnout for both Warren and Sanders also.  I would be mildly surprised if Biden has a good showing - either in his speech or his turnout.
This year’s dinner will be the largest in the caucus's history. With 14 candidates scheduled to attend, the Liberty and Justice Celebration will be twice as large as the biggest Jefferson-Jackson dinners, which topped out at seven candidates.

To accommodate the large field, the Iowa Democratic Party plans to give each candidate 10 minutes to speak. In 2007, Clinton and Obama both had at least 20 minutes.

The crowd of Democratic activists will also be larger than ever before, said Iowa Democratic Party spokesman Jonah Hermann. He estimates there will be “upwards of 13,000” people in attendance.

The largest crowd to date came in 2007, when 9,000 attendees turned out.

Here's the Warren plan in full

I love this part, and it should be passed as standalone legislation if/when M4A fails. The GOP's gutting of the IRS has been a scandal, one that has not received nearly enough attention.

-Substantially increase funding for the IRS, including the Criminal Investigation Division. The Treasury Department estimated in its Fiscal Year 2017 budget request that every $1 invested in IRS enforcement brings in nearly $6 in additional revenue — not even including an indirect deterrence effect three times that amount.

-Expand third-party reporting and withholding requirements. Research shows that third-party reporting and withholding cuts down on the tax misreporting rate substantially.

-Strengthen enforcement of the Foreign Account Tax Compliance Act (FATCA). FATCA requires foreign financial institutions to report the holdings and income of U.S. taxpayers, but the IRS is generally not systematically matching these reports to individual tax returns. We also don’t hold foreign financial firms truly accountable for ignoring their reporting obligations. Automatically matching FATCA reports to tax returns and instituting sanctions for non-compliant foreign financial institutions would help narrow the tax gap.

-Simplify tax filing obligations in line with other comparable countries with lower tax gaps, including by adopting my Tax Filing Simplification Act and using “smart returns” to improve honest reporting.

-Redirect enforcement resources away from low-income taxpayers towards high-income taxpayers.

-Increase the nonfiler compliance program, strengthen reporting requirements for international income, use existing currency transaction reports to enforce cash income compliance, and increase reporting requirements for virtual- or crypto-currencies, as suggested by the Treasury Department’s Inspector General.

-Allow employees who disclose tax evasion and abuse to use the protections of the False Claims Act and other whistleblower protections.
:pickle:

"Demonizing" might be an incendiary word but I stand by its usage. We keep hearing about how a substantial part of the electorate isn't even paying attention to impeachment news, that they're not very interested in politics, etc. If that's true, then we fire-breathing radicals need to give them something to get amped up about and eating the rich before they eat us could be just the thing that gets the juices flowing in an otherwise uncaring group.

Substantially increase funding for the IRS, including the Criminal Investigation Division. The Treasury Department estimated in its Fiscal Year 2017 budget request that every $1 invested in IRS enforcement brings in nearly $6 in additional revenue — not even including an indirect deterrence effect three times that amount.
I remember this when I was in school....then it was approx $3 for every dollar spent in attempting to collect.  Looks like things have gotten more and more corrupt and more and more people are slipping through the cracks.  I've raised this as a solution in addition to closing loopholes several times here for generating revenue to pay for several different things.  The taxes owed in this country vs paid has an absurd discrepancy.  That's a really stupid problem to have.

Sort of odd timing from Beto - seeing a few video clips of people around town in Des Moines and definitely a few Beto people showed up to rally for him.

But, reality is he was not going to make November debate, and had lost any traction he thought he head with the "take your guns" comment.

I think Trump has more than put this myth to rest.

Poor campaign strategy imo.

I think she was expecting to be able to ease into Super Tuesday - but she was outworked by Warren who came back from the ancestry stuff, and Pete who rose up from nothing.  Now she is trying to salvage Iowa - and its too late.  Warren and Buttigieg have a huge ground game advantage, and Sanders and even Biden have a better support base in Iowa.

Klobuchar got a rough draw at the dinner.  Order:

Mayor Pete Buttigieg
Vice President Joe Biden
Mr. Andrew Yang
Senator Elizabeth Warren
Senator Kamala Harris
Mr. Tom Steyer
Senator Bernie Sanders

Then an intermission break/special presentation

Then the rest of the candidates.

Users who are viewing this thread