What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Cleveland Browns (6 Viewers)

Draft being held in Cleveland after first playoff appearance and win but it seems like interest is low.

Berry crushed FA so areas of need a not glaring but two areas dominate mocks, DB and EDGE with WR being mentioned once every so often but the big thing is that their is no consensus on any one player.

Any names that people want us to draft in the first? 

Draft being held in Cleveland after first playoff appearance and win but it seems like interest is low.

Berry crushed FA so areas of need a not glaring but two areas dominate mocks, DB and EDGE with WR being mentioned once every so often but the big thing is that their is no consensus on any one player.

If his medical checks out, Jaelen Phillips. And Elijah Moore or Dyami Brown in that 50-75 range. I don't have an informed opinion on cb's.

If his medical checks out, Jaelen Phillips. And Elijah Moore or Dyami Brown in that 50-75 range. I don't have an informed opinion on cb's.
I kept hearing Jaelen and looked into him and his concussion history and quitting due to concussions gives pause but his tape shows some overaggressive biting on PA where he leaves the backside wide open.  So I'm not sold on him sealing the edge.

His pass rush funnels inside a lot.  Saw nothing that stood out with EDGE rush.

Love the RAS score but not blown away with run defense or EDGE pass rush.

Been looking but it doesn't seem like anyone is sold on one name. 

I kept hearing Jaelen and looked into him and his concussion history and quitting due to concussions gives pause but his tape shows some overaggressive biting on PA where he leaves the backside wide open.  So I'm not sold on him sealing the edge.

His pass rush funnels inside a lot.  Saw nothing that stood out with EDGE rush.

Love the RAS score but not blown away with run defense or EDGE pass rush.

Been looking but it doesn't seem like anyone is sold on one name. 
It was a covid year. The names behind the obvious ones are all mud and this edge class was already a flawed one pre-pandemic. It's why I think a vet is still a priority. CB too. 

I'm a lot more comfortable with the WR class.

It was a covid year. The names behind the obvious ones are all mud and this edge class was already a flawed one pre-pandemic. It's why I think a vet is still a priority. CB too. 

I'm a lot more comfortable with the WR class.
Good point mentioning COVID.

Hopefully that allows a gem to fall through the cracks and we get lucky.

Berry maybe looking at moving up in the draft in order to get a targeted player in the 15-20 range. If names like Jaelen Phillips, JOK, or maybe Jaycee Horn are still lurking around, I could see him moving up to grab them. The Browns don't really have the roster anymore to go and accommodate 9 rookies.

Interesting little tidbit I saw today

Top-5 drafted NFL QBs, 2015-18:

No. 1 Jameis Winston, not re-signed

No. 2 Marcus Mariota, not re-signed

No. 1 Jared Goff, traded

No. 2 Carson Wentz, traded

No. 2 Mitchell Trubisky, not re-signed

No. 1 Baker Mayfield, still with Browns

No. 3 Sam Darnold, traded

Berry maybe looking at moving up in the draft in order to get a targeted player in the 15-20 range. If names like Jaelen Phillips, JOK, or maybe Jaycee Horn are still lurking around, I could see him moving up to grab them. The Browns don't really have the roster anymore to go and accommodate 9 rookies.
I agree that this team isn’t adding 9 rookies, but I think he's more likely to move out than up. If there is any aggression I think it'll be on day 2.

I'd like/prefer this path if we can use the 3's/4's to make it happen or even our 2nd.  Maybe someone we really value is there in the late teens/early 20's.  

...The Browns don't really have the roster anymore to go and accommodate 9 rookies.
I don't think we move up for any position other than EDGE rusher or DB so that is why I asked if anyone has heard one name that fits.

Our FO has stated adding picks fits analytics as it increases odds unless they are getting an impact player.  

I've heard talk of a move-down for future picks if they aren't sold on anyone.

Anyone given a thought about how adding an extra game might adjust team strategy?

I have heard teams discussing about schedules of pulling veterans in the last few minutes of games so that by the end of the season full time starters get a rest of about a full game.  Makes a lot of sense, obviously not with the outcome of a game up for grabs.

I think an analytic FO like Berry would use later round picks to take guys at positions with a high degree of in-season injuries like DB and stash them on IR or the practice squad as late season/playoff additions.  Or take a flyer on a position like RB where you could add a guy a position that needs a small ramp-up time and where late season 'fresh legs' are a huge benefit.  

Last edited by a moderator:
Hope they don't break the bank because he didn't do much last year.  Good thing they didn't sign him last year to a long term crazy deal.
I'm not worried about this group going over budget. Curious what this would mean for Richardson though.

Making almost 12 mill that's crazy but Keenum making 7+ mill even more crazy
I wonder if Keenum is an extension candidate. Lower his cap number this year and add some more guaranteed dollars in 22. Value in a backup qb you can win with, but that's steep given this year's cap.

Not a lot but a lil smoke.

Chas says we WILL be improved BEFORE the draft.

Hmmnn.

Charles Robinson Offers Cryptic Foreshadowing of a Browns move before the draft
Charles Robinson threw out that bone the day before Clowney visit story and others have come forward to say they have heard a buzz so I imagine this was what he was hinting at.

Its Clowney so I'm not counting any chickens till I hear contract details and then I hope we didn't over pay for a guy coming off meniscus surgery and who didn't record a single sack in 8 games last year.

He's a beast sealing the edge.  He 'can' rush the passer in terms of applying heat and bend the EDGE.  And he can even drop in coverage so basically he 'can' do everything so long as he's healthy.  Woods would be in heaven.

We can't pay what he got last year so we need to get him for less than the $12 million he made/stole last year but then again this is Clowney so I'll wait to see what happens. :coffee:

what a weird game.  probably going to pay Clowney 8mil next year.  for probably 8 games, which is equivalent of 16mil/year.  

meanwhile the DE we take in the first round will make about 3 million.  

I’d take the over on the rookie getting 0 sacks.  

what a weird game.  probably going to pay Clowney 8mil next year.  for probably 8 games, which is equivalent of 16mil/year.  

Clowney's played at least 13 G's in every season but his rookie year and last. 

Clowney is going to be on his third team in three years.  he looks to me like a guy who has already peaked.

can he be a useful piece?  maybe.  

i'm not excited about his potential signing.  my guess is this will be a contract that in hindsight, they'll wish they hadn't done.  

Clowney does it all but doesn't get a lot of traps/sacks.  He's lost 'some' bend in his edge rush but has developed some counters.  He won't ever live up to the expectations but what he can provide is exactly what we need opposite Myles.  Stout run-D, ability to drop in coverage, can apply pressure.  As noted, Woods has to be salivating on the possibilities of what he can do with him.

IF (I'm not counting any 🐔 till the ink dries on the contract) he signs then it doesn't preclude us taking an EDGE in the draft.

-------------------------------------

IG: JosinaAnderson@JosinaAnderson

My understanding is there was a travel issue on the #Browns arranged second visit/ physical with FA edge-rusher Jadeveon Clowney for Monday. Was expected to arrive late Sunday. There's hope to finalize a new booking soon, potentially midweek, at this time, per sources.

--------------------------------------

Here's a look at the visits we've had/scheduled.

Five corners and four EDGE players.  

Here's the full list.

Cleveland Browns: Which Draft Prospects Have Had Meetings With The Browns?

Clowney is going to be on his third team in three years.  he looks to me like a guy who has already peaked.

can he be a useful piece?  maybe.  

i'm not excited about his potential signing.  my guess is this will be a contract that in hindsight, they'll wish they hadn't done.  
If his knee checks out and he's actually signed then I don't expect much different than what we got out of Vernon when he was healthy, which is exactly what the 2021 team needs. I don't think his hypothetical signing impacts the draft plan at all.

If his knee checks out and he's actually signed then I don't expect much different than what we got out of Vernon when he was healthy, which is exactly what the 2021 team needs. I don't think his hypothetical signing impacts the draft plan at all.
that i can agree with.

i see quotes out there "Signing Clowney makes the Browns a Super Bowl Contender, he still has multiple Pro Bowls left in him!"

that stuff is very unrealistic.

Getting more pressure on the Qb and having better players in the secondary that can cover = more turnovers. Can blitz more, getting more sacks, fumbles, errant throws, interceptions. 

Give me Justin Houston

Cost matters, but assuming health the only meaningful difference between a 28 yo Clowney and a 32 yo Houston is their age. So all things being equal gimme the 'youth' upside.
Give me the guy who stays on the field playing 59 of his last 64 games and gets 8+ sacks for the last 4 years.

... probably going to pay Clowney 8mil next year.  for probably 8 games, which is equivalent of 16mil/year.
Where did you get the number of $8 million per year?  

Last year he said he wanted to 'Break the Bank' and did as his contract was $15 million but was highly incentivized so he 'only' got the base of $12 million.  I have heard something along the lines of $10 to $11 million but 'hope/expect' less.  I think the whole 'scheduling' mix-up is part of the negotiation process.

... i see quotes out there "Signing Clowney makes the Browns a Super Bowl Contender, he still has multiple Pro Bowls left in him!"

that stuff is very unrealistic.
Sorry to break it to you but we ARE a Super Bowl contender with or without Clowney and Clowney made the Pro Bowl every year up to last year when he was injured and he's only 28 and was listed in the top-20 of PFF EDGE rushers last year even after only playing half a season.

I don't really care about Pro Bowls but how a guy fits and he fits better than people realize.  He has to be healthy and we can't overpay.  I'd go as high as $10 million WITH incentives but obviously hope for less.

Sorry to break it to you but we ARE a Super Bowl contender with or without Clowney 
therefore it's unrealistic to say that he's going to push Cleveland over the edge and make them a Super Bowl contender.

i don't think Cleveland is going to get the Pro Bowl version of Clowney, that's all i'm saying.

he might be a solid player, but acting like he's coming in to form some sort of Dynamic Duo with Garrett is wishful thinking imo.

therefore it's unrealistic to say that he's going to push Cleveland over the edge and make them a Super Bowl contender.

i don't think Cleveland is going to get the Pro Bowl version of Clowney, that's all i'm saying.

he might be a solid player, but acting like he's coming in to form some sort of Dynamic Duo with Garrett is wishful thinking imo.
Maybe I've just done a fantastic job purging all the hot taek noise from my information bubble, but I've literally not seen this mentioned anywhere.

So will today be the day they sign Clowney?  2nd visit to the team, so I'd have to think it's for contract negotiations.

Give me the guy who stays on the field playing 59 of his last 64 games and gets 8+ sacks for the last 4 years.
It's certainly possible that Houston just isn't coming here for various/multiple reasons that we are not privy to.  Could be his last real contract too.  People often forget it takes 2 to tango.  I feel very confident saying if Clowney demanded more than one year, we would not be talking about him today.  Berry putting on a master class of win now with a long term lens.

@RapSheet

The breakdown of the #Browns deal for Jadeveon Clowney: — $4.5M signing bonus. — $2.5M base salary guaranteed — $1M in 46-man roster bonuses — $2M in incentives ($1M in playtime and $1M in sacks) — It’s a 5-year deal that voids to 1 for cap. In all: 1 year, $8M base, up to $10M

sensational!

@RapSheet

The breakdown of the #Browns deal for Jadeveon Clowney: — $4.5M signing bonus. — $2.5M base salary guaranteed — ...
Its great!  Basically a one-year prove-it deal where we get a 28 year old at an area of need with a 'highly' incentivized contract.  Jadeveon will be playing for the big cap bump everyone is expecting next year so we will have plenty to extend him AFTER evaluating what he does this year.

Works out well for both the team and the player, win-win is best.

My $.02...  I trust AB.  He seems to target guys with specific attributes that fit.  In this case, I think the floor is a solid DL, and the ceiling is a first-round talent. Good signing!

Any of you fully vaccinated and want to go to the NFL Draft 1st round? I have 2 tickets, one for me and one for someone else. Get to sit near the stage (if vaccinated). I am.

The general public will be allowed into the draft festivities, but those who are vaccinated will have privileges. Fans that are vaccinated will be permitted to sit in the "Inner Circle," located near the draft stage. The Draft Theatre -- located next to FirstEnergy Stadium -- will be the viewing zone for the main stage and will seat invited guests -- furthering the league's importance in promoting the COVID-19 vaccine. 

Any of you fully vaccinated and want to go to the NFL Draft 1st round? I have 2 tickets, one for me and one for someone else. Get to sit near the stage (if vaccinated). I am.

The general public will be allowed into the draft festivities, but those who are vaccinated will have privileges. Fans that are vaccinated will be permitted to sit in the "Inner Circle," located near the draft stage. The Draft Theatre -- located next to FirstEnergy Stadium -- will be the viewing zone for the main stage and will seat invited guests -- furthering the league's importance in promoting the COVID-19 vaccine. 
I am halfway there but won't get the 2nd shot until after the draft.  Also I would rather just watch it on TV.

If you can’t find anyone else to go, I’ll go with you.  

Probably the only chance in our lifetime to see the draft in Cleveland.  

The #Browns have released DT Sheldon Richardson, who was due more than $12M this year. Essentially, Jadeveon Clowney’s salary replaced Richardson.

The #Browns have released DT Sheldon Richardson, who was due more than $12M this year. Essentially, Jadeveon Clowney’s salary replaced Richardson.
Don't agree. Clowney's cap number is under $4m and the savings from cutting Richardson is $11m. The Browns have Jackson and Billings signed for about $7m total, so without a re-negotiation Richardson wasn't being retained. It was a when; not an if.

This gets the cap up from about $9m to $20m, which is about what they carried over into this season in the first place. I think that's intentional.

If you can’t find anyone else to go, I’ll go with you.  

Probably the only chance in our lifetime to see the draft in Cleveland.  
Cool, right. It could be 35+ years until it comes again, if ever. A few years ago when Cleveland/Akron was being considered for future drafts, I said I will definitely go if it ever happened. And others here said they were in. Wonder where those people went > COVID has screwed everything up, that's where. Don't know if was luck getting tickets or what. Getting the vaccine early is coming in handy and that was one of the questions asked when applying for them (Will you be fully vaccinated by xxxxx date?).

Richardson played well.  Losing him will hurt.  No Shel and no Ogun means we replaced the two starters from last year.  Replacing Ogun wasn't an issue but losing Sheldon is.

I hope we either try to re-sign Richardson later at a reduced rate or have some 'other' name out there as a backup plan because 'right now' I think we really need another INT DL.  We 'kinda' needed a pure NT anyway so...

I honestly don't know and don't like the move.  Just my humble-O.

Too bad they couldn't do a restructure of contract for Richardson.  Losing him will hurt a great deal.

Users who are viewing this thread