What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Cleveland Browns (6 Viewers)

Weird game, the RB’s and defense stepped up. Mayfield has had two games where his accuracy looks more like 2019 after starting off hot. I don’t understand the OBJ thing but he’s a weapon, they need to figure it the #### out. Last week the Bears were hanging all over him because they couldn’t cover him, this week he had a step a couple of times. He’s in great shape, figure it the #### out.

Weird game, the RB’s and defense stepped up. Mayfield has had two games where his accuracy looks more like 2019 after starting off hot. I don’t understand the OBJ thing but he’s a weapon, they need to figure it the #### out. Last week the Bears were hanging all over him because they couldn’t cover him, this week he had a step a couple of times. He’s in great shape, figure it the #### out.
two games in a row, huh?  

wonder what those two games have in common??

biggest mayfield man that exists right here - he was horrific, and if we lost, it wouldve rested solely on him. 

it wasn't obj. it wasn't anything. it was baker. 

the fact he can crap the bed THAT HARD and we still get a dub... a great sign.

biggest mayfield man that exists right here - he was horrific, and if we lost, it wouldve rested solely on him. 

it wasn't obj. it wasn't anything. it was baker. 

the fact he can crap the bed THAT HARD and we still get a dub... a great sign.
Always nice to win when you don’t play your best. I didn’t see the whole game but did see Baker miss a WIDE open OBJ twice. If this team wants to compete for a championship they are going to have to hit on the big plays. Hopefully the chemistry improves. I also saw a big overthrow to Hunt in the end zone which is a play he needs to make.

Jedrick Wills (ankle) AND backup swing OT Chris Hubbard (triceps) are injured.  Wills left the game yesterday and didn't return.  Hubbard hasn't played since the opener.  Wills has been gimpy and looked like crap, given up a ton of pressures and sacks.  

The 'back-up' Blake Hance is a center and simply isn't an OT.

Our rookie OT James Hudson was 'turrible' in the preseason and was inactive up until yesterday.  When he came in the game the Browns ran almost every play and most away from his side of the field.  Maybe Bill Callahan can work some magic and polish a turd into a 'decent' starter until Hubbard or Wills is back.

Baker is not a good QB under pressure, the stats bare that out.  

• Mayfield’s biggest career bugaboo so far has been his splits versus pressure and 2020 was no different. Mayfield averaged 8.1 Y/A from a clean pocket last season as opposed to 4.5 Y/A under pressure. That 3.6 Y/A difference under pressure ranked 37th at the position.
THAT was last year when he was solid.  This season the stats are even MORE glaring showing he is awful under pressure.  

We need to protect him and he'll be fine.  We don't protect him and morons will say its OBJ, Bwaa frick'n haaaa.  Yeah, OBJ caused Baker to panic and not see a wide-open Felton five yards beyond the sticks on a crucial 3rd down.  OBJ caused Baker's wild overthrow of Schwartz.  OBJ caused Baker overthowing a wide-open Hunt in the endzone.  

Yeah, its OBJ not QB pressure due to both OLTs being injured/OUT.  Feh.  

ADD the 'cascading effect' where the timing throws off the entire O-Line which hasn't played nearly as well as it did last year.

-------

Pete Smith@_PeteSmith_

Wyatt Teller has not been Wyatt Teller of last year. Conklin has had some pass pro issues.

Jason L. Miller@Face_The_Great

Issues extend beyond LT?

did you go back and watch that play?

guess who he was locked onto that entire play?
THIS play?

I see everyone who studies tape agrees that OBJ is the issue as he graded as the worst offensive player yesterday.

Oh my bad it wasn't OBJ.  Hmm I wonder who graded the worst?

Bottom 5 grades Browns offense

It was a bad game for many Cleveland offensive players starting with the quarterback. We will once again eliminate a player with a low snap count, Anthony Schwartz (15 snaps), who would have been in the bottom five here (53.9 grade).

QB Baker Mayfield – 49.2 – He was really bad. Period.

OL James Hudson – 50.2 – The rookie came in for 21 snaps in place of Jedrick Wills and we saw why the Browns were trying to keep Wills on the field.

WR Donovan Peoples-Jones – 50.2 – After a breakout camp and preseason, DPJ has been mostly absent through four weeks. Have to wonder if his route running has become less crisp due to the lack of targets therein lowering his PFF grade?

TE Harrison Bryant – 53.7 – Bulking up this offseason to help him block, Bryant continues to struggle there while not being dynamic in the passing game.

RB Nick Chubb – 55.5 – Probably the most interesting grade, Chubb didn’t seem himself in Week 4 but still put up 100 yards rushing. Will look forward to, hopefully, more information from PFF on this grade.

Last edited by a moderator:
nope, that's not it.

the one you described earlier on third down where Mayfield didn't see Felton wide open for the first down because he was trying to force the ball to Beckham.

as usual, you are changing the subject and putting words in my mouth.

Mayfield sucked yesterday.  OBJ compounds the problem.  

Mayfield was brutal today. Not just with OBJ. Bad reads and worse throws 
Cut OBJ is hot taekery to the nth degree. There were other problems around him, but the only other Mayfield performances under Stefanski that may rival that one were the two blowouts early last year. His issues Sunday go way beyond it, but he's not been the same since hurting his shoulder against Houston. 

Cut OBJ is hot taekery to the nth degree. There were other problems around him, but the only other Mayfield performances under Stefanski that may rival that one were the two blowouts early last year. His issues Sunday go way beyond it, but he's not been the same since hurting his shoulder against Houston. 
Getting rid of Baker is the logical progression CLE radio has leapt to this morning.

Sometimes I hate our fan base.

Getting rid of Baker is the logical progression CLE radio has leapt to this morning.

Sometimes I hate our fan base.
Our fan base is great. There are just some simpletons in every one - good and bad. Just our reality as a society. Media plays to it because they're a more profitable segment than pragmatics.

This is amazing.

------------------------

Seth Walder@SethWalder

It's time for the first win rate plot of the year! Double-team rate at edge (x) by pass rush win rate at edge (y).

(ESPN / NFL Next Gen Stats)

Top EDGE pass rushers - Double team X axis - Win rate Y axis

---------------------------------------------

We have two of the top-9 EDGE pass rushers in the top-right quadrant 

AND

One in the top-left quadrant.

The only team with THREE EDGE pass rushers rated let alone rated soo high.

These guys are kill'n. 

Should not have lost today can't score 42 and lose I don't care who you play.  I thought this team turtled when they were up 42-41 after being able to go up and down the field without being stopped they run the ball on 3rd and long and hand them back the ball with 2 minutes left down just 1 at midfield.  A really crushing loss.

Should not have lost today can't score 42 and lose I don't care who you play.  I thought this team turtled when they were up 42-41 after being able to go up and down the field without being stopped they run the ball on 3rd and long and hand them back the ball with 2 minutes left down just 1 at midfield.  A really crushing loss.
This is the sort of loss good teams respond to - both next week and in the future the next time they find themselves in a high scoring tight game late but that time they resist going in the shell. I don't care that the Cards are undefeated, I'll be very disappointed with a loss.

I’ve never seen a two minute offense like that before.  I don’t understand what they were trying to do there.  Short passes down the middle of the field?  Not working the sidelines with no time outs?

As Mac said, good teams figure out a way to win those games, the Browns find ways to lose them. They didn't have any help from the ref's and we were 5 deep on DB's but still you gotta win that game. In Stefanski I trust but he clenches in these situations, not sure how else to put it. Not putting it all on him but that 2 minute drill at the end was as vanilla and bad as it gets.

I will call out OBJ. I did not pay any attention to him yesterday other than the drop he gets millions of dollars to catch. CATCH THE BALL ODELL. That's what your life revolves around. he was targeted what? 2-3 times yesterday? Baker has no touch on the 5-8 yard pass and rifles it but you work with him every day, learn to catch it. Frustrates the hell out of me.

at the end of the day, the Browns are 3-2 and lost to two really good teams on the road.

that translates to about 10 wins, not sure that'll be enough to make the playoffs.

they're going to have to do well in the division, and Cincinnati is not looking like a pushover right now.

Dez said:
That's what happens when you're down to your last two CBs and last two OTs...

One thing I look forward to after a close loss on the road against a quality opponent when we were devastated by injuries and nothing can be gleaned is the even-keeled Brown fan reactions that are NEVER over reactions but good sound quality football analysis.  

Ahh, takes sip of coffee and  revels in the magna opus of refined pure football minds. :coffee:

Baker's shoulder 'may' be having THIS effect.

I noticed he was really struggling with his accuracy on deep throws and as you can see by the chart he's ranked really low on longer pass attempts.  

If Chubb and Hunt were both out this week, is there a consensus to whether Johnson or Felton would be more valuable for fantasy?

I picked up Felton, I imagine Arizona is going to be able to put up some points. Browns will be in catch-up mode. Honestly though, I’ll be pretty shocked if neither chubb or hunt are ready, this sounds like so much needed veteran rest

Browns play Sunday and then again four days later Thursday Night against the Broncos.  

Lots of vets who don't need practice are getting days off this week.

Browns DC Joe Woods said he expects all of the DEs on the injury list to play and everyone who was on the list from the secondary to play.  I think the most 'interesting' injury list is the Cards having their top pass rusher Chandler Jones OUT for Covid and their top receiver Nuk DNP for an 'undisclosed' illness.  Add TE Maxx Williams OUT on IR.

The long injury list for Cleveland and the big names OUT and 'potentially' OUT for Arizona 'could' off-set.  Tough to figure out.

Chubb just listed as OUT for the game  :(
my last healthy RB, ugh!

Nick Chubb RB | CLE

Browns' Nick Chubb: Won't play in Week 6

(5 mins ago) Chubb (calf) won't play Sunday against the Cardinals, Nate Ulrich of the Akron Beacon Journal reports.

Chubb will thus target a potential return to action next Thursday when the Browns take on the Broncos. Assuming he's active, Kareem Hunt (wrist/knee) -- who is listed as questionable -- should be in line for a big workload Sunday, while Demetric Felton and D'Ernest Johnson work in complementary roles in Week 6.
Johnson got some good carries last year when Chubb & Hunt were both on the shelf, is he worth a flier or Felton, or neither? Hunt is playing but nicked up too.

Chubb listed OUT for the game. 

Hunt 'expected' to take over as the #1 RB.

He (Chubb) had 15 of his 21 carries in the first half of last week.  I remember thinking they were over-using him at halftime.  Didn't realize he only had 6 carries the final two quarters.  

If anyone was trying to figure out a fantasy angle Felton has ZERO rushing attempts on the year.  He has been primarily used as a receiver and the average depth of his receptions are under 2 yards. 

Right now they are saying Hunt is going to start so he 'probably' will.  D'Ernest Johnson would 'likely' get any other carries over Felton who hasn't looked good running the ball.

How hurt is Hunt? Do the Browns really think Chubb may be available for Denver? And what's the game script?

Those are the questions one needs to answer to figure out potential usage scenarios for Johnson. As Bracie hit at, Felton's a 'receiver.' He could see increased involvement if the game script turns negative, but with Landry back his realistic target upside isn't big unless Kareem gets dinged in-game.

... Felton's a 'receiver.' He could see increased involvement if the game script turns negative, but with Landry back his realistic target upside isn't big unless Kareem gets dinged in-game.
Yeah, Landry is back.  I think this 'could' be a bigger thing than people realize.

Not sure how much he can handle but without Chubb Stefanski would love to do a lot of things he has shelved over the past month.  

Have to think we'll see the Jet Sweep with either OBJ/Landry/or Schwartz and wouldn't surprise me to see a pass attempt with Landry or OBJ.  

I am sure they would have preferred to ease Jarvis back but with Chubb OUT I have to imagine Stefanski will have a few tricks up his sleeve.

And it really seemed like Chief broke out last week and he has simply not been used at the gl.  I don't get that.  I'm sure Jarvis will get some looks at the gl either in some capacity but without Chubb I'm sure we'd like to open up more gl options so hopefully we'll see more Njoku at the goal line.

Bracie Smathers said:
Yeah, Landry is back. ..
Actually he's NOT back.

He is designated to return within 21 days so... unless we hear that he has been ACTIVATED and we won't know about that until as late as 4:00 PM Sunday when we have to declare him active or inactive.

Users who are viewing this thread