What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Cleveland Browns (8 Viewers)

kaa said:
The Browns situation really is simple. When you don't have the talent to compete, you get some maulers on the lines, draft an RB, and pound the rock all year long. It protects the QB. It helps the defense. It helps the team develop a tough attitude. I really hated how the Browns drafted 2 WRs high and didn't get another RB prospect to rotate into the mix.

There's a very real possibly that neither Anderson nor Quinn will be able to carry the team in 2009. In that case, you can still just run the ball to compensate for that and even take pressure off the young QBs. I think they would have been much better served by finding a way to draft Shonn Greene or Beanie Wells to be well prepared for that possibility.
:goodposting: I have no idea why Mangini ran this team as if he had an all-pro QB. Should have run the football from the start.

I wanted Mangini fired earlier in the year. Just looking at the personnel on this franchise told me he was mismanaging his roster. The receiving corps is getting dismantled. The QBs are still questionable. But the OL might be pretty good at the run. The answer seemed obvious. Run the football. I even felt they should have drafted another RB to make sure they had fresh legs. Hated seeing them take 2 WRs in the second round.Its almost like Mangini was too stupid to figure it out on his own. It took the bad weather game vs the Steelers to FORCE him to run the football down the other team's throat. Then its like a light went on in his head. OH. Yes, Eric! Here is your roster. Here is what they are built for! Amazing!!!So starting with the Steeler game we get12/10 vs Steelers -- 19 passes vs 36 rushes - WIN12/20 @ Chiefs -- 18 passes vs 45 rushes - WIN12/27 vs Raiders -- 18 passes vs 46 rushes - WIN01/03 vs Jaguars -- 11 passes vs 49 rushes - WINLook at the rest of the season:Game 1: Vikings -- 34 passes vs 20 rushes - LOSSGame 2: Broncos -- 31 passes vs 21 rushes - LOSSGame 3: Ravens -- 27 passes vs 23 rushes -- LOSSGame 4: Bengals -- 48 passes vs 33 rushes -- LOSSGame 5: Bills -- 17 passes vs 41 rushes -- WINGame 6: Steelers -- 26 passes vs 23 rushes -- LOSSok I'm bored.I suppose I might actually keep him for another season. I mean, he DID figure it out. Just took him 13 games. Now that he understands the STRENGTH of the Cleveland Browns is the OFFENSIVE LINE and not the quarterback's arm, maybe we can make a big turnaround next year.
I'm sure I'm wasting my breath, so to speak, but this type of analysis is really disingenuous. How many of those passes were thrown while the Browns were playing catch-up? What is the split during the 1st half of those games?If you want to indict Mangini for sticking with Jamal, I can get on board with that, but to accuse him of being pass-happy is ridiculously flawed.

I wanted Mangini fired earlier in the year. Just looking at the personnel on this franchise told me he was mismanaging his roster. The receiving corps is getting dismantled. The QBs are still questionable. But the OL might be pretty good at the run. The answer seemed obvious. Run the football. I even felt they should have drafted another RB to make sure they had fresh legs. Hated seeing them take 2 WRs in the second round.

Its almost like Mangini was too stupid to figure it out on his own. It took the bad weather game vs the Steelers to FORCE him to run the football down the other team's throat. Then its like a light went on in his head. OH. Yes, Eric! Here is your roster. Here is what they are built for! Amazing!!!

So starting with the Steeler game we get

12/10 vs Steelers -- 19 passes vs 36 rushes - WIN

12/20 @ Chiefs -- 18 passes vs 45 rushes - WIN

12/27 vs Raiders -- 18 passes vs 46 rushes - WIN

01/03 vs Jaguars -- 11 passes vs 49 rushes - WIN

Look at the rest of the season:

Game 1: Vikings -- 34 passes vs 20 rushes - LOSS

Game 2: Broncos -- 31 passes vs 21 rushes - LOSS

Game 3: Ravens -- 27 passes vs 23 rushes -- LOSS

Game 4: Bengals -- 48 passes vs 33 rushes -- LOSS

Game 5: Bills -- 17 passes vs 41 rushes -- WIN

Game 6: Steelers -- 26 passes vs 23 rushes -- LOSS

ok I'm bored.

I suppose I might actually keep him for another season. I mean, he DID figure it out. Just took him 13 games. Now that he understands the STRENGTH of the Cleveland Browns is the OFFENSIVE LINE and not the quarterback's arm, maybe we can make a big turnaround next year.
I'm sure I'm wasting my breath, so to speak, but this type of analysis is really disingenuous. How many of those passes were thrown while the Browns were playing catch-up? What is the split during the 1st half of those games?If you want to indict Mangini for sticking with Jamal, I can get on board with that, but to accuse him of being pass-happy is ridiculously flawed.
Seriously. Also apparently BGP "knew this from the start" so I'd like to see posts dated prior to September 2009 saying "Jeez, it's so obvious that all we need to do is run the ball and we'll win!". I don't think there's a single person in the world who thought we could win 4 games in a row by averaging 7 completed passes a game. I'd LOVE to see the historical winning percentage of teams that do that in the last decade.This sign was made for these posts: :goodposting:

I wanted Mangini fired earlier in the year. Just looking at the personnel on this franchise told me he was mismanaging his roster. The receiving corps is getting dismantled. The QBs are still questionable. But the OL might be pretty good at the run. The answer seemed obvious. Run the football. I even felt they should have drafted another RB to make sure they had fresh legs. Hated seeing them take 2 WRs in the second round.

Its almost like Mangini was too stupid to figure it out on his own. It took the bad weather game vs the Steelers to FORCE him to run the football down the other team's throat. Then its like a light went on in his head. OH. Yes, Eric! Here is your roster. Here is what they are built for! Amazing!!!

ok I'm bored.

I suppose I might actually keep him for another season. I mean, he DID figure it out. Just took him 13 games. Now that he understands the STRENGTH of the Cleveland Browns is the OFFENSIVE LINE and not the quarterback's arm, maybe we can make a big turnaround next year.
THIS!

ok I'm bored.

THIS!
Maybe.Two points. First, the average NFL team is 56/44 pass. Second, maybe Harrison had to earn his spot. Maybe he worked his way in by improving his blitz pick-up. That was always the knock against him.

I wanted Mangini fired earlier in the year. Just looking at the personnel on this franchise told me he was mismanaging his roster. The receiving corps is getting dismantled. The QBs are still questionable. But the OL might be pretty good at the run. The answer seemed obvious. Run the football. I even felt they should have drafted another RB to make sure they had fresh legs. Hated seeing them take 2 WRs in the second round.Its almost like Mangini was too stupid to figure it out on his own. It took the bad weather game vs the Steelers to FORCE him to run the football down the other team's throat. Then its like a light went on in his head. OH. Yes, Eric! Here is your roster. Here is what they are built for! Amazing!!!So starting with the Steeler game we get12/10 vs Steelers -- 19 passes vs 36 rushes - WIN12/20 @ Chiefs -- 18 passes vs 45 rushes - WIN12/27 vs Raiders -- 18 passes vs 46 rushes - WIN01/03 vs Jaguars -- 11 passes vs 49 rushes - WINLook at the rest of the season:Game 1: Vikings -- 34 passes vs 20 rushes - LOSSGame 2: Broncos -- 31 passes vs 21 rushes - LOSSGame 3: Ravens -- 27 passes vs 23 rushes -- LOSSGame 4: Bengals -- 48 passes vs 33 rushes -- LOSSGame 5: Bills -- 17 passes vs 41 rushes -- WINGame 6: Steelers -- 26 passes vs 23 rushes -- LOSSok I'm bored.I suppose I might actually keep him for another season. I mean, he DID figure it out. Just took him 13 games. Now that he understands the STRENGTH of the Cleveland Browns is the OFFENSIVE LINE and not the quarterback's arm, maybe we can make a big turnaround next year.
Remove the swear words from your sig and present a more civil attitude before trying to discuss things. Its like trying to talk to a 12 year old boy. Grow up.But like I say, I don't really blame people like you. I blame Joe Bryant for allowing this crap.

Remove the swear words from your sig and present a more civil attitude before trying to discuss things. Its like trying to talk to a 12 year old boy. Grow up.But like I say, I don't really blame people like you. I blame Joe Bryant for allowing this crap.
What about his post wasn't civil? He makes a good point actually.

PizzaDeliveryGuy said:
kaa said:
Tecumseh said:
What about his post wasn't civil? He makes a good point actually.
The whole snotty attitude with the "I'm sure I'm wasting my breath". Kid needs to be taken over one knee and spanked. That and the swearing just tells me what kind of person I'm dealing with.

kaa said:
Tecumseh said:

ok I'm bored.

Did you also blame Joe Bryant when your prior account was banned? I suggest you stay on topic.Tecumseh made a good point. It's hard to blame Mangini for passing too much when we were getting hammered earlier in the season because the run game wasn't working. It makes much more sense to blame him for sticking with Jamal Lewis, which was one of the big reasons WHY the running game sucked.

Mangini deserves a lot of blame for a lot of things, but passing too much isn't one of them.

kaa said:
Tecumseh said:
:thumbdown: I :thumbdown: me some BGP.

kaa said:
Tecumseh said:
:lmao: I :thumbup: me some BGP.
He is the strangest person that I have encountered in any setting. I pray it is all an act.

kaa said:
"Crap" isn't a swear word?

http://www.cleveland.com/browns/index.ssf/...ts_encoura.html

Josh Cribbs and agents encouraged by "positive dialogue" with Cleveland Browns

By Mary Kay Cabot

January 21, 2010, 6:16PM

Joshua Gunter/ The Plain Dealer

Josh Cribbs, shown celebrating with fans after the Browns won their season finale, is more optimistic about his future with the team.

CLEVELAND -- The agent for Browns receiver Josh Cribbs said today that he's had "very positive'' dialogue with the Browns in the past week about Cribbs' contract and that Cribbs and his team are optimistic now about a good outcome.

"We've talked to (Browns president) Mike Holmgren and (general manager) Tom Heckert and we have an understanding that we're going to work together on this,'' agent J.R. Rickert told The Plain Dealer. "We have a much clearer indication that something can be worked out and that it's not just lip service.''

Rickert said Holmgren and Heckert "made it clear to us that they had not made a take-it-or-leave-it proposition or a final offer. The tone and tenor were very positive and we feel this is something we're going to sit down and work on. Josh feels very good about it.''

On Jan. 6, Cribbs and his agents said they were insulted by the Browns lowball $1.4 million offer, which they said was presented to them by Dawn Aponte, vice president of football administration. Aponte is still employed by the Browns, but The Plain Dealer reported that she might leave to join the Dolphins.

The next day, Cribbs went to Berea and cleaned out his locker, saying he felt "it's over for me in Cleveland.'' Cribbs, who will play in his second Pro Bowl on Jan. 31 and made the AP All-Pro team as the starting returner, had vowed he wouldn't play under his current contract, which runs through 2012. His agents said he would ask for a trade by March 4, the start of the new league year, if they hadn't budged from their offer.

Now, all of that has changed. Holmgren stepped in and immediately did some damage control, stressing during a press conference last week that the $1.4 million was not a final offer.

"No numbers have been exchanged, but we definitely have a much clearer sense from the team where they see Josh -- and an understanding that they're willing to negotiate,'' Rickert said.

He said the ball is in the Browns' court in terms of when and how negotiations will take place and they've been busy assembling their personnel staff this week. Cribbs is also busy, organizing help for Haitian earthquake victims and donating a large sum of money. He's also preparing for the Pro Bowl next week.

No surprise there. I'm curious whether they'll trade Quinn, snag a FA QB, and draft one.
Chances that they release Anderson: 99%Chances that they trade Quinn: 25%

Chances that they spend a high pick on a QB: 50%
Agree.
Our QB's make me cry. Good lord are they horrible. Worst in the NFL.
To be fair, most QBs in the league have at least one decent weapon to throw to.

As a prelude to what may be a busy weekend, the Browns released center Hank Fraley on Wednesday.

The team also will announce its contract tenders on Thursday to their restricted free agents. In a mild surprise, a source said the Browns will not use the first-round tender on any of them.

On Wednesday, Brian Mackler, Jackson's agent told The Plain Dealer that he and Jackson were upset the Browns failed to fulfill a promise by the previous regime for a long-term contract.

Jackson tweeted on his Twitter account, "Do what's best for both parties. It's simple. Either pay me or let me go somewhere else!"

Other restricted free agents expected to receive tenders by the Browns are running back Jerome Harrison, fullback Lawrence Vickers, linebacker Matt Roth, safety Abram Elam and safety Brodney Pool. The source said none may receive first-round tenders.

The Browns also will not immediately offer new deals to their own unrestricted free agents. Included in this category are receiver Mike Furrey, guard Rex Hadnot and cornerback Hank Poteat.

Disappointed that they cut Fraley. He was serviceable at a couple of spots, and held his own. Anybody know what the deal was, re: pending bonus, balloon payment, etc...?

My guess is that Heckert wanted him out. He was the one who traded Fraley out of Philly a few years back. :lmao:

Disappointed that they cut Fraley. He was serviceable at a couple of spots, and held his own. Anybody know what the deal was, re: pending bonus, balloon payment, etc...?
Browns released C Hank Fraley.Fraley was due just $1.6 million in salary and has versatility, but he fell out of the team's plans when Cleveland used a first-round pick on Alex Mack in 2009, starting just four games last year. Though going on age 33, Fraley might catch on with a team attempting to ease in its center of the future.

Source: scout.com

http://www.rotoworld.com/content/playerpag...=NFL&id=746

From what I understand, this is a very deep offensive line class, so maybe that factored into Fraley's realease as well? I have no clue how these things work sometimes.

So much for Cleveland being active. We get rid of Corey Williams for a 5th rnd pick and re-work Cribbs' deal.

Holmgren said he's looking for QBs, and I've heard rumors of Seneca Wallace. Ugh.

Quarterback update: Who might be on Mike Holmgren's radar screen as he pursues one or more quarterbacks through trade?

A league source speculated on that subject. The answers might not excite Browns fans, but hear them out.

Holmgren may make a pitch to Seattle for backup quarterback Seneca Wallace. The quarerback-maker would prepare Wallace as kind of an interim quarterback to assist the Browns' transition to Holmgren's preferred style of offense.

Wallace has been Matt Hasselbeck's understudy in Seattle for seven years. He was an athletic marvel coming out Iowa State in 2003 and was used early on as an emergency receiver until Holmgren gradually developed him into a competent quarterback. Holmgren took great satisfaction in Wallace's progress under center.

Wallace is under contract through 2010. While new Seattle coach Pete Carroll has said he is pleased with Hasselbeck as his starting quarterback, Carroll may view the backup position as a target to groom his eventual starter, making Wallace expendable.

The source also sees Holmgren possibly showing interest in Green Bay backup Matt Flynn. Flynn was a seventh-round pick in 2008 and is not going to unseat starter Aaron Rodgers any time soon. But he's been exposed to a variation of the Holmgren offense. His availability is unknown.

The theory with this plan is that Holmgren might add a developmental prospect in this year's draft, but he would amp up the search for a permanent franchise quarterback in the 2011 draft.

-- Tony Grossi
Grossi article on Browns QB Search

Good for Cribbs. Would have felt happier for him if he and his agent didn't whine so much. It was gonna get done without the charades.

Personally, I think our lack of activity in this strange free agent market is a good thing. We don't need to overpay for mediocre talent right now. We need to load up in the draft, this year and next. We're still at least a year away from being truly competitive.

Personally, I think our lack of activity in this strange free agent market is a good thing. We don't need to overpay for mediocre talent right now. We need to load up in the draft, this year and next. We're still at least a year away from being truly competitive.
I'm fine with not going after the big names and spending all the $$ to get them. But why not trade a 3rd for Boldin? We have 11 draft picks, we can use one for a trade. Or maybe trade teh newly acquired 5th for Troy Smith instead of Seneca Wallace? I'd like to hear that we are adding some players to this team instead of all the news on us losing players. :shrug:

So we cut Fraley, and now Tucker is retiring. All of a sudden we have depth issues on the Oline.
I'm sure Fraley's money can be spent better elsewhere. We've got all those 2nd round tendered players that are getting raises. He's a good backup right now that can play all over, but might as well get younger. We should have alot of draft picks and I'm guessing some OL help is coming. He did a great job for us though and helped Mack out alot, who is gonna be real good.Tucker hasn't been help in over a year really.

I'm fine with not going after the big names and spending all the $$ to get them. But why not trade a 3rd for Boldin? We have 11 draft picks, we can use one for a trade. Or maybe trade teh newly acquired 5th for Troy Smith instead of Seneca Wallace? I'd like to hear that we are adding some players to this team instead of all the news on us losing players. :lmao:
In all honestly I'm wore out with "name" players right now. Look at all the players we signed under the Phil Savage regime where did that get us. I'm getting a kick seeing players such as Jason Trusnik and Brian Scheafering maturing and getting a chance and showing what they are capable of doing.

Browns | Fujita signs

Sun, 07 Mar 2010 14:09:02 -0800

Adam Schefter, of ESPN.com, reports the Cleveland Browns have signed free-agent LB Scott Fujita (Saints). Terms of the deal were not disclosed.

Browns | Pashos agrees to three-year deal

Sun, 07 Mar 2010 13:10:09 -0800

Aaron Wilson, of The National Football Post, reports the Cleveland Browns, per a league source, have reached a three-year, $10.3 million deal with free-agent OL Tony Pashos (49ers). It has previously been reported Pashos signed with the Washington Redskins, but after talks did not progress to his liking he flew to Cleveland and worked out a deal with them.

Anyone know anything about this Pashos guy?

Last edited by a moderator:
what do you guys make of the Shaun Rogers trade rumors?

personally, i don't think they would get enough for him in a trade. i know they seem to have concerns about how he is playing tackle though. why can't they move him to DE?

also i think the signing of Fujita coupled with the second round tender is sending a pretty loud message to D'Qwell Jackson to be quite about his contract "demands."

Jackson is in a terrible bargaining position right now.

i keep hearing Torry Holt's name come up.

what do you guys think about the Browns signing him?

doesn't seem like that great of a fit to me.

Fraley was told only a few weeks ago that he 'didn't have to worry' ... something obviously changed! He was a class act for the Browns and I would have loved to keep him maybe even to start at RG.

I am sure DA will be cut .... his contract means that he has zero trade value for us :goodposting:

If we can get enough value send Rogers elsewhere, by the time we'd be ready to compete for titles he'll be on the downside of his career.

I like Fujita, but it probably ends my hope of us drafting McClain. Still, he'll be a significant improvement over Barton in the middle, but I don't think his signing will have too much impact on DQ. Fujita's a good compliment but he's not a threat to take over the primary ILB spot from him.

God help us if Walrus thinks Torry Holt can make an impact on this team, if we're bringing him in it better be as a coach, not a WR. We need a veteran WR, but we need one that still has both of his knees.

Fraley's a good guy, but he's just depth at this point of his career. He needs to accept a 'just depth' salary, he didn't so he's gone.

Not happy about the Ben Watson rumors I'm hearing, although it will probably only help Evan Moore since Watson shouldn't be a threat to Moore's job.

VERY curious to follow what we're going to do at QB, I like the Wallace and Smith rumors a lot more than the Kolb and Hasselbeck ones. Brady Quinn's trade value will probably be the deciding factor, ultimately.

i keep hearing Torry Holt's name come up.

what do you guys think about the Browns signing him?

doesn't seem like that great of a fit to me.
Holt isn't a good fit anywhere, except as a veteran/leader/mentor type. Put the 2010 Holt on the 2000 Rams and he doesn't beat out Ricky Proehl for playing time.

If we can get enough value send Rogers elsewhere, by the time we'd be ready to compete for titles he'll be on the downside of his career.

I like Fujita, but it probably ends my hope of us drafting McClain. Still, he'll be a significant improvement over Barton in the middle, but I don't think his signing will have too much impact on DQ. Fujita's a good compliment but he's not a threat to take over the primary ILB spot from him.

God help us if Walrus thinks Torry Holt can make an impact on this team, if we're bringing him in it better be as a coach, not a WR. We need a veteran WR, but we need one that still has both of his knees.

Fraley's a good guy, but he's just depth at this point of his career. He needs to accept a 'just depth' salary, he didn't so he's gone.

Not happy about the Ben Watson rumors I'm hearing, although it will probably only help Evan Moore since Watson shouldn't be a threat to Moore's job.

VERY curious to follow what we're going to do at QB, I like the Wallace and Smith rumors a lot more than the Kolb and Hasselbeck ones. Brady Quinn's trade value will probably be the deciding factor, ultimately.
If I had to chose betwen those 3 Id take Kolb all day. He put up some great games last year when he started. The other 2 absolutely scare me..

Quinn has trade value?

Well Seneca is at least one of the new Browns QBs. Late 2011 draft pick. I guess you can't really complain much about that, especially if it's a 6th.

If I had to chose betwen those 3 Id take Kolb all day. He put up some great games last year when he started. The other 2 absolutely scare me..
He put up numbers during garbage time after playing poorly early vs. New Orleans then torched one of the worst defenses in the league in Kansas City. You didn't learn much about Kolb in either of those games except that he can put up fantasy numbers against lousy defenses and when playing from behind against mediocre defenses, neither of which will help Cleveland win games.

Id like to see them trade Rogers for a RB and/or lineman. A bruiser type Lendale, MBIII...

Dqwell to Cardinals for picks.

Grab a safety or QB in 1st.

Sign Chike Okeafor

Wimbley, Fujita, Bowens/Maiava, Roth/Okeafor

Roth/Okeafor/Veikune, Rubin/Robaire,Coleman

Couple of thoughts

1. Fujita and Pashos are solid signings. Very manageable salaries (approx $3 mil a year each) and both should give us solid production. Pashos should at least be an average to good starter on the right side of the line. These are the kind of guys we should be targeting in free agency.

2. Trading Shaun Rogers is in my opinion crazy. The guy is the only defensive lineman we have with any skill, and is arguably our best defensive playmaker. Sure we could get younger at NT but I'd rather work on other parts of the defense first.

3. Seneca Wallace, now that's interesting. The big question is what is his role going to be? I would guess he'd be a #2 and would help mentor the QB of the future. I don't think it's going to be Brady or Anderson. Good chance that our next QB comes in the draft in one of the mid rounds... maybe Wallace starts until that guy gets ready?

4. Our draft plans seem to be taking shape now... looks evident that we'll be shooting for players at CB, S, RB, QB, WR. The true skill positions. Tons of good players this year at those positions. I see us making a lot of moves up into the 2nd and 3rd rounds in order to get impact players.

Bobcat10 said:
Well Seneca is at least one of the new Browns QBs. Late 2011 draft pick. I guess you can't really complain much about that, especially if it's a 6th.
This is a classic "trade for a guy, give him a look, and cut him at the end of training camp" move.

Bobcat10 said:
Agree.
Trading Shaun Rogers is in my opinion crazy.
Agree here also.All the talk around the league is about McCoy and Suh atop the draft and how dominant they are, blah, blah blah. We already have a guy like that and rumors are we want to trade him? Doesn't sound right to me. Unless the Browns are blown away with an offer he should stay.

Bobcat10 said:
This is a classic "trade for a guy, give him a look, and cut him at the end of training camp" move.
Really? I don't see it that way at all. Holmgren already knows what he's bringing in.

Users who are viewing this thread