What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Cleveland Browns (3 Viewers)

Yeah, but still too high for a corner.
15 years ago, yes, but the game has changed.
The basic tenet that you build from the inside-out has not changed. Anthony Davis would have been ideal here, particularly with Delhomme under center.As far as the rnd 2 pick, I'd like to see Kindle or Allen.
5 Cornerbacks were selected in the 1st round. Most of these "experts" don't have a clue, and the mocks they put out are atrocious more often than not. We'll just have to trust that Heckert knows what he's doing.
Yes, at picks 7, 20, 27, 29, and 32. One of these things is not like the others...

Browns didn't pick in the 20s. Regardless, usually you take the highest guy on your board. Haden turns out to be a top CB in this draft, like Thomas and Mack seem to be at their respective positions, you have to think this will be deemed successful.

I wonder how hard they tried to move down, especially seeing all the movement a few picks after the Browns. I haven't really seen anything detailing this. I would have taken 2 3rds to fall back in the 1st round. Our Morgan and other smokescreens didn't seem to work.

Browns didn't pick in the 20s. Regardless, usually you take the highest guy on your board. Haden turns out to be a top CB in this draft, like Thomas and Mack seem to be at their respective positions, you have to think this will be deemed successful.

I wonder how hard they tried to move down, especially seeing all the movement a few picks after the Browns. I haven't really seen anything detailing this. I would have taken 2 3rds to fall back in the 1st round. Our Morgan and other smokescreens didn't seem to work.
nope...glad they tried though

Yeah, but still too high for a corner.
15 years ago, yes, but the game has changed.
The basic tenet that you build from the inside-out has not changed. Anthony Davis would have been ideal here, particularly with Delhomme under center.As far as the rnd 2 pick, I'd like to see Kindle or Allen.
5 Cornerbacks were selected in the 1st round. Most of these "experts" don't have a clue, and the mocks they put out are atrocious more often than not. We'll just have to trust that Heckert knows what he's doing.
Yes, at picks 7, 20, 27, 29, and 32. One of these things is not like the others...
lol.. I made that statement because you said the basic tenet is to build from the inside out. Other teams have drafted CB's in the 1st round, a few early, and have had success. A lot of teams have built from the inside out by taking linemen later in the draft. Maybe the Browns could have moved down a few spots, but we don't what kind of offers Heckert was looking at. Generally, I agree with you, but in the end, a team must draft the BPA. As I'm sure you know, it doesn't do any good to reach for a player. I don't have any problems with the Browns drafting a CB early.

Last edited by a moderator:
You guys should be clamoring to trade up for Clausen. Hell, you could have picked him in round 1. He's easily the BPA right now.

So, in the 2nd we go w/ the constantly injured FS from OR... WTF is Holmgren doing?

This guy is a staph infection waiting to happen. (4 surguries since HS?) :)

So, in the 2nd we go w/ the constantly injured FS from OR... WTF is Holmgren doing?This guy is a staph infection waiting to happen. (4 surguries since HS?) :tinfoilhat:
Definitely not a fan of this pick. Is it just me, or does it seem like the Browns are terrible in round 2? I don't like either of the round 2 picks, after not liking any of the 3 last year.

If they were going safety in that spot, I think Taylor Mays would have been a good pick there. He's got a huge chip on his shoulder and has plenty of big game experience. However, the highlight film of TJ Ward was unreal with the hits. Hopefully he doesn't overcommit going for the big hit. This pick has Rob Ryan written ALL OVER it.

The injuries of both Ward and Hardesty scare me.

I like the vibe of a Holmgren, Heckert and Mangini draft. I trust this group more than any in the recent past. I loved Phil Savage, but he's looking more and more bush league by the day.

As for McCoy, he is in great hands with Carl Smith and Holmgren. Although Holmgren is trying to separate himself from the coaching and GM duties to be Pres, you just know he's going to make McCoy his next coaching project. And I don't think Mangini will mind one bit.

Assuming Ratliff is the odd man out, I certainly think that Delhomme, Wallace, and McCoy>>>Anderson, Quinn, and Retliff in both the short and long term.

Great job.

And Haden was the right pick. The safe pick that can start right now and has the ceiling of a Revis. I'll take it!

If they were going safety in that spot, I think Taylor Mays would have been a good pick there. He's got a huge chip on his shoulder and has plenty of big game experience. However, the highlight film of TJ Ward was unreal with the hits. Hopefully he doesn't overcommit going for the big hit. This pick has Rob Ryan written ALL OVER it.The injuries of both Ward and Hardesty scare me. I like the vibe of a Holmgren, Heckert and Mangini draft. I trust this group more than any in the recent past. I loved Phil Savage, but he's looking more and more bush league by the day. As for McCoy, he is in great hands with Carl Smith and Holmgren. Although Holmgren is trying to separate himself from the coaching and GM duties to be Pres, you just know he's going to make McCoy his next coaching project. And I don't think Mangini will mind one bit.Assuming Ratliff is the odd man out, I certainly think that Delhomme, Wallace, and McCoy>>>Anderson, Quinn, and Retliff in both the short and long term.Great job.And Haden was the right pick. The safe pick that can start right now and has the ceiling of a Revis. I'll take it!
Mays can't turn his hips and has less than stellar instincts to the ball. Great physical specimen, but that's about it. I don't know anything about Ward, but I do like the Hardesty pick. The 2005 ACL injury is long past him, and I don't believe in penalizing RB's for minor injuries. It's a demanding position. A healthy 2009 against SEC defenses:Rushing 282 - 1,345 - 13 (0 fumbles)Receiving 25 - 302 - 1

:thumbup:

LOVED this draft!

On the local board, I wrote that I wanted Berry AND Mays. Looks like they did better!

Add in McCoy and a RG, and I couldn't be happier.

Hardesty was the only head-scratcher to me -- and not a bad pick at all.

If they were going safety in that spot, I think Taylor Mays would have been a good pick there. He's got a huge chip on his shoulder and has plenty of big game experience. However, the highlight film of TJ Ward was unreal with the hits. Hopefully he doesn't overcommit going for the big hit. This pick has Rob Ryan written ALL OVER it.The injuries of both Ward and Hardesty scare me. I like the vibe of a Holmgren, Heckert and Mangini draft. I trust this group more than any in the recent past. I loved Phil Savage, but he's looking more and more bush league by the day. As for McCoy, he is in great hands with Carl Smith and Holmgren. Although Holmgren is trying to separate himself from the coaching and GM duties to be Pres, you just know he's going to make McCoy his next coaching project. And I don't think Mangini will mind one bit.Assuming Ratliff is the odd man out, I certainly think that Delhomme, Wallace, and McCoy>>>Anderson, Quinn, and Retliff in both the short and long term.Great job.And Haden was the right pick. The safe pick that can start right now and has the ceiling of a Revis. I'll take it!
Mays can't turn his hips and has less than stellar instincts to the ball. Great physical specimen, but that's about it. I don't know anything about Ward, but I do like the Hardesty pick. The 2005 ACL injury is long past him, and I don't believe in penalizing RB's for minor injuries. It's a demanding position. A healthy 2009 against SEC defenses:Rushing 282 - 1,345 - 13 (0 fumbles)Receiving 25 - 302 - 1
Ward was an extreme reach. They could have had him with the Lauvao pick. Hardesty is a beast.Now if they can figure out a way to trade up today for Bruce Campbell for RT, I'll do backflips.

The more I read about this Mitchell kid, the more It sounds like the Browns might have stolen a stud. Overall I like this draft quite a bit. I'm not fond of reaching for players with injury concerns but if the two 2nd round players stay healthy, I believe this draft could be pretty damn successful.

Undrafted signees:

DE Auston English, Oklahoma

LB Eryk Anders, Alabama

T Joel Reinders, Waterloo

DE/LB Daniel Howard, Texas Tech

T Casey Bender, San Diego State

LB Jon Dempsey, Louisville

CB Chris Chancellor, Clemson

TE Troy Wagner, Indiana

DE Willie Walker from California (Pa)

Dude from Waterloo is huge....how would McCoy see over that?

The whirlwind that's been Joel Reinders' fledgling football career took a stunning twist Saturday.

The hulking six-foot-eight, 320-pound Waterloo Warriors offensive lineman signed a free-agent deal with the Cleveland Browns shortly after being bypassed in the NFL draft. Pretty heady stuff for a former basketball player who only took up football at the university level two years ago.

"The first year I started playing I thought maybe I might make a CFL roster and play a couple of years," the Oakville, Ont., native said. "But never in a million years would I have ever imagined that I'd be going to the NFL.

"It really hasn't hit me yet."

No Canadians were selected in the seven-round draft, which was conducted over three days and concluded Saturday afternoon.

"I watched the draft on TV and going in I was hoping to be picked but my agent (Gil Scott) told me I'd probably have a better chance getting signed than drafted," Reinders said. "But after playing just two years, getting signed (by NFL club) is awesome.

"With (Cleveland's minicamp) starting next week I'm going to have to get into that football mindset quickly but I'm going there with the intention of making that roster."

Reinders certainly has the size NFL teams like and was also highly regarded by CFL officials, who consider him a blue-chip prospect in next weekend's Canadian college draft. Reinders is ranked No. 11 by the CFL scouting Bureau and the expectation was given his relative inexperience he'd need time to hone his skills.

But it makes economic sense for Reinders to try and do so in Cleveland. The NFL's minimum salary this year is US$325,000 whereas even as a first-round CFL draft pick Reinders could expect a five-figure signing bonus and salary around $45,000, depending on where he was selected.

Reinders will join a Cleveland organization that has struggled for years but now seems to be on the upswing with the arrival this off-season of new president Mike Holmgren. Holmgren, one of the NFL's most respected head coaches, helped transform both Green Bay and Seattle into Super Bowl contenders during his time with those clubs.

And Holmgren has shown a willingness to be patient with young players. On Saturday, he said the club has no intention of playing Colt McCoy(notes), the winningest quarterback in NCAA history that Cleveland drafted in the third round, at all as a rookie this year.

It's an approach that could bode very well for Reinders, too. However, he can't help but think ahead to maybe one day protecting McCoy in Cleveland.

"Blocking for a guy like Colt McCoy would be a dream come true," said Reinders.

If Reinders is released by Cleveland, he will still have a future in professional football as he's certain to be drafted by a CFL club that will be willing to wait for him to return to Canada.

Undrafted signees:DE Auston English, OklahomaLB Eryk Anders, AlabamaT Joel Reinders, WaterlooDE/LB Daniel Howard, Texas TechT Casey Bender, San Diego StateLB Jon Dempsey, LouisvilleCB Chris Chancellor, ClemsonTE Troy Wagner, IndianaDE Willie Walker from California (Pa)Dude from Waterloo is huge....how would McCoy see over that?
I saw his highlight clip on youtube. He towers over the other team. It looks like he's playing against a bunch of High School freshmen out there. :D :thumbup:

The Browns made three roster moves on Tuesday evening.The Cleveland Browns today signed free agent tight end Alex Smith, the team announced. In addition, the club waived wide receiver Aaron Valentin and tight end Troy Wagner.Originally drafted by Tampa Bay in the third round (71st overall) of the 2005 NFL Draft, Smith has appeared in 74 games with 48 starts, recording 132 receptions for 1,277 yards and 11 touchdowns in his five-year NFL career. In 2005, Smith led all NFL rookie tight ends with 41 receptions for 367 yards and two touchdowns. He was acquired by the New England Patriots in a trade for a fifth round draft choice in the 2010 NFL Draft on April 30, 2009. Smith was released by the Patriots on September 5 and then signed by the Philadelphia Eagles on September 8. With the Eagles, he appeared in 16 games with five starts, notching three receptions for 25 yards.A four-year letterman at Stanford University (2001-04), Smith played in 44 contests with 32 starts, finishing his collegiate career with 107 receptions for 1,291 yards and eight touchdowns. As a senior, Smith garnered first-team All-Pac-10 honors, was a second-team consensus All-American and finished second in the voting for the Mackey Award, given to the nation’s top tight end. Born on May 22, 1982, the 6-4, 258-pounder is a native of Denver, Colo., where he attended Mullen High School.
so they now have 5 TEs on the current roster:83 Estandia, Greg 89 Moore, Evan 84 Royal, Robert 82 Watson, Benjaminis it possible that Royal gets cut? i know they like Moore a little bit, and iirc, they really liked Estandia on special teams. but i could be making that up.or maybe they are just trying to get more bodies at TE for camp?

who would've thought Delhomme would have a QB rating of 116 at this point?

Hillis is a beast. he will be fun to watch this year.

Watson looks like a good pickup too.

i'm tempering my expectations with Hardesty.

he suffered a bone bruise to his knee, in what was apparently a non-contact injury.

that leads me to believe the knee is not very stable, and is unlikely to hold up to the rigors of NFL football.

that said, i really hope that's not the case, because he would be a great addition to what already looks like a good group of RBs that the Browns have.

Liked what I saw from TJ Ward.
:rolleyes: They've certainly thrown him into the fire right away and he's responded. Big hitter, and looks decent enough in coverage when they've left alone on an island. The Rodgers to Jennings TD in week 1 was just a perfect pass from Rodgers.

What would the preseason be in Cleveland without a little 'versy?

Mike, I would hope that you would take the time to read my agreement with the Clevelend Browns. I had no contract, but I was asked to write a job description so that my duties would be clear.That job description included two things that I think are important. As Executive Advisor to the owner, my job was to use my intelligence, and my logic to advise Mr. Lerner. The second most important thing to me was a clause in that agreement that stated that I answered to noone except Randy Lerner. These two thing were highly important to me because I truly believed, with my educational background, having been a Cleveland Brown for 9 yrs, and having a pretty good knowledge of football, that I could contibute in a valuable way to the organization.When you called me for a meeting in your office, there was no conversation about that agreement, no conversation about my duties, no conversation about what I felt, no conversation about my relationship with the players, no conversation about my relationship with the coaches, no conversation about my relationship with the head coach, and no conversation about my community work. Ultimately there was no conversation about anything that I felt was related to my job.Your ultimatum to me was that you would offer me the opportunity of being that of the greeter, that of a mascot, that of a person that would represent special events by his physical presence, and for those things, I would receive a salary of (figure removed). All of those things that you offered me would be controlled by you.After that 10 minute meeting, I went to my office with a feeling that I was just fired by the Cleveland Browns, because in my mind, there would be no way on this earth that you would expect me to go against everything that I've ever stood for in my whole life.Not wanting to get into a public debate, I left my office and went home. I never spoke to the media, or any of my friends at the Browns, because I truly didn't know what to say to them. I thought that was the reponsibility of the Browns. I wrote you and Randy a note, and said I did not accept that proposed position, but if I could do anything meaningful for the organization, I would consider it. I took that position, because of my respect for the Lerner family, and everyone that I had worked with in the Cleveland Browns organization.I was able to study your press conference and found your statements to be consistent in the way that you value me, and I observed the comments of the key players that sat by your side, and here was the impression I got: Your most powerful statemnt about me was that, and I must laugh, one monkey don't stop the show. The two players that were with you, one of them made the statement that he was overwhelmed to be honored, and the other started talking about a subject that was highly important, and that was the pension plan, and the improvement that he would hope would happen, but stated that he was there to discuss the Ring of Honor.I was happy to hear Joe DeLamielleure bring up the pension plan, because right now Mike, I am working with everything I have in my power to be an advocate for a better pension plan and health care services for all the retired players. If you, in your position of tremendous power with the Cleveland Browns, would become an advocate of those two goals, you and I could walk side by side.But in my conclusion, I've never danced in the end zone, I always gave the ball to the referee, so you should know I don't dance. Also Mike, I don't hang out on the Westside of town. I'm an Eastside guy. I play my golf at Highland Golf Course. I don't go to the Hall of Fame ceremonies, except on occasions, like when Gene Hickerson was inducted, and I felt very proud to be with Bobby Mitchell and Leroy Kelly in showing our respect for his great contribution, and for helping us become great players. I don't have any trophies in my home on display. I don't claim to be the best at anything, and I emphatically do not need validation from any man, so I will not participate in your Ring of Honor.Mike, there's only one thing that I control in life, and that's being a man. So let me end with a little humor, because as you say, one monkey don't stop the show, and as I say "Willie Lynch missed a few of us", and there will be no Buck Dancing.From#32

seems like they keep getting new GMs, coaches, and players every few years, yet the Browns keep doing the same stupid things.

it's crazy. :goodposting:

Jerome Harrison must do something I don't see, otherwise he'd be getting a lot more carries.

Jake Delhomme is the new Derek Anderson.

The same Browns WRs who weren't good last year, aren't good this year.

The defense isn't terrible, but they were playing Tampa Bay.

TJ Ward, if he stays healthy, will be a really good pro, but it's too early to judge Haden.

I like Roth and Gocong.

Marcus Bernard should get on the field for more plays.

I don't see how the team on the field yesterday, coupled with the current offensive coordinator can win many games.

Jerome Harrison must do something I don't see, otherwise he'd be getting a lot more carries.

Jake Delhomme is the new Derek Anderson.

The same Browns WRs who weren't good last year, aren't good this year.

The defense isn't terrible, but they were playing Tampa Bay.

TJ Ward, if he stays healthy, will be a really good pro, but it's too early to judge Haden.

I like Roth and Gocong.

Marcus Bernard should get on the field for more plays.

I don't see how the team on the field yesterday, coupled with the current offensive coordinator can win many games.
I don't see how the team is that bad just yet. I'm not doing cartwheels over the playcalling either and I admit I watched this game in a setting (Vegas) where it didn't allow me to see everything clearly...but I still think the team has promise. Not playoff promise, but not the dreads of recent memory.Delhomme single handedly lost that game imo at the end of the 1st half. Some of us knew, but if not we've been told, that this was to be expected on a weekly basis (boneheaded plays and forceful throws). This one cost us dearly. Can't say much more about it.

I also think Mangini should have pulled Delhomme in the 2nd half, not because of his play (although one might argue that), but because he was noticeably limping all half. I understand players need to play through pain and whatnot, but we brought in Wallace for a reason and this was one of them. He could have made a few plays with his legs that might have made the difference in the game. If Delhomme doesn't play this week, it proves this point even moreso.

I just don't understand the statsheet when I look it over either. Hillis and Harrison averaging about 5ypc on 18 carries and Delhomme with 37 pass attempts. Harrison did have one long run that skews the numbers, but it still is backwards. Tampa even ran the ball 28 times and they were losing much of the game. Harrison needs to have more than 1 reception also.

We are really bad.

On the good side, did anyone else notice how much of a MONSTER Haden was on special teams? He was all over the place.

Both Haden and Ward are looking great. Benard is playing well too.

Jerome Harrison... man that guy has quit on us. I think he's just dogging it until he can get out of Cleveland.

Sure looks like 0-9. I say Mangini makes it to 0-5.

Week 3 @BAL

Week 4 CIN

Week 5 ATL

Week 6 @PIT

Week 7 @NO

BYE

Week 9 NE

Week 10 NYJ

Users who are viewing this thread