What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Cleveland Browns (4 Viewers)

I have no idea on these guys but I see they passed up the #1 rated DT left on CBS and ESPN to get the #2 guy and the difference in ranking was pretty huge.

CBS has Togiai ranked 107 and Daviyon Nixon from Iowa ranked 45 overall.  That's a huge difference that's a mid 2nd round grade.  Again I know zero about those guys so who knows.

ESPN had them rated 103 (Nixon) and 135 for Togiai.

I have no idea on these guys but I see they passed up the #1 rated DT left on CBS and ESPN to get the #2 guy and the difference in ranking was pretty huge.

CBS has Togiai ranked 107 and Daviyon Nixon from Iowa ranked 45 overall.  That's a huge difference that's a mid 2nd round grade.  Again I know zero about those guys so who knows.

ESPN had them rated 103 (Nixon) and 135 for Togiai.
PFF has Togiai at 83, and Nixon at 114.

I don't wanna disparage anyone, but CBS is poo poo.  

Bracie Smathers said:
Got one.

Ohio State DT Tommy Togiai - LINK
Got another one.

------------------------

Sigmund Bloom@SigmundBloom

Browns just keep winning

---------------------------------------

Tom Pelissero@TomPelissero

The #Browns are signing former Florida State DT Marvin Wilson to a huge rookie free-agent deal that includes a $30,000 signing bonus plus $162,000 in guaranteed base salary, per source. Cleveland won a swift bidding war for Wilson, one of the top players to go undrafted.

The Man With No Name said:
OT James Hudson - Cincinnati 
Geoff Schwartz@geoffschwartz

Great situation for Hudson with Callahan

Matt Miller@nfldraftscout

#Browns continue to clean up. OT James Hudson was ranked No. 55 on my board

I'm usually giddy after a draft.  I'm generally an optimist. I'm not feeling it this time.  I LOVE the FAs they signed, but the draft leaves me MEH. Hope I'm wrong.

I'm usually giddy after a draft.  I'm generally an optimist. I'm not feeling it this time.  I LOVE the FAs they signed, but the draft leaves me MEH. Hope I'm wrong.
Welcome to the reality of picking at the bottom of the draft. Hope this new feeling carries forward into future years too.

Hopefully it’s opposite of normal.  

outside of the WR, I thought they killed this draft.  

(not sure why they didn’t get a kicker though.  Parkey is trash.)

Welcome to the reality of picking at the bottom of the draft. Hope this new feeling carries forward into future years too.
Yep. Get used to it, because I really like what Cleveland's doing,

Here's the thing, though: the same 6 or 8 teams are consistently picking in the bottom half of rounds, yet they are also consistently good. That's because they have good scouting and good development systems in place, and they keep the pipeline full.

Which leads to another another side to being a consistently good team. Get ready to lose players at an alarming rate in FA. You'll also have your FO/scouting/coaching staffs continuously poached. I believe the Ravens lost NINE (!) assistant coaches this off-season to promotions elsewhere.

Man, this division is going to be a bloodbath.

Last year our top pick was a slam dunk at an area of need with a blue chip prospect so his 'success' was expected.  The top FA signing of OT Jack Conklin was also a slam dunk of a top FA talent at an area of need but he surpassed expectations.

The buzz at this time last year was about the 'expected' improvement with 2nd year CB Greedy Williams and the addition of S Grant Delpit and then Delpit was the big news in camp.  Didn't happen and the pass-D was the downfall of the team.

This year the FO attacked the weakness just as they did with the sorry offensive line last year.  Top FA signing of S JJ should be an instant starter.  Top pick CB Greg Newsome should beat out Greedy to start opposite Denzel.  The slot CB FA we got from the Rams looks solid and 'can' play the boundary if/when needed and 'IF' Greedy makes the team his strong suit is coverage.  Then with Delpit, JOK, and the other DB we drafted its not wishful thinking that someone will step-up and make plays.  

Bottom line?

Expect a HUGE improvement from weakness to strength with our pass-pro ala the HUGE improvement last year on our O-Line.  

True dat.  I suppose getting a good CB added to the team should be enough.  Everyone else looks to (potentially) have flaws, depending what you read.  MAYBE JOK is the next big thing, an evolutionary step at LB.  I hope so.  MAYBE Schwartz shows he's not just wheels.  MAYBE the 4th round linemen are able to produce at this level despite some shortcomings.  MAYBE I'm just jaded because all the Indians' "maybes" turn out to be zeroes.  I've said I trust AB and I do.

Field Yates
@FieldYates
Effective at 4 PM ET, unrestricted free agents that sign with a new team no longer count towards the NFL’s compensatory pick formula. 

Amongst those available: Richard Sherman, Justin Houston, Alejandro Villanueva, Russell Okung, Melvin Ingram, K.J. Wright & Jason McCourty.

-----------------------------------

Got another one.

------------------------

Sigmund Bloom@SigmundBloom

Browns just keep winning

---------------------------------------

Tom Pelissero@TomPelissero

The #Browns are signing former Florida State DT Marvin Wilson to a huge rookie free-agent deal that includes a $30,000 signing bonus plus $162,000 in guaranteed base salary, per source. Cleveland won a swift bidding war for Wilson, one of the top players to go undrafted.
Got another one and its related to the tweet at the top.

Doesn't look like Sheldon Richardson will be back.

Browns sign Malik McDowell

-------------------------------------

I believe this is the first 'character' issue guy that AB has EVER inked so the upside/need has to be HUGE/real.

---------------

Nate Ulrich

@ByNateUlrich

#Browns give defensive tackle Malik McDowell shot at comeback after ATV accident, legal woes. Updated with quote from GM Andrew Berry about McDowell and info about the five undrafted free agents Cleveland signed

------------------------

“We are certainly aware of Malik’s past, as we have done extensive work on him for the last two months," Browns General Manager Andrew Berry said in a prepared statement. "He is accountable for his actions and has had to live with the consequences for decisions earlier in his life. We believe Malik is in a good place, personally and medically. He has taken the necessary steps to get on a healthy path, and has learned from his experiences.

Last edited by a moderator:
Wasn't fond of the QBs, especially JM, but I thought acquiring the top CB in the draft was a slam dunk.  A kid at Christmas!
I have tended to see things through the Orange and a Brown glasses when it has come to the previous drafts (accept Johnny!). These last two seasons are on a completely different level than I have ever seen in my lifetime (50). Love what AB and team are doing! 

I have tended to see things through the Orange and a Brown glasses when it has come to the previous drafts (accept Johnny!). These last two seasons are on a completely different level than I have ever seen in my lifetime (50). Love what AB and team are doing! 
Yeah.  It's nice to see them target specific guys for our team.  I like it!!  I want to see the drafting part playout, though.

..at what cost? and who? ...
If you look at the names they list them as RB/KR so it appears they are looking for special teamers not replacements or anything like that.  Fresh legs can apply to kick returners/special teamers and 'potential' depth.
Camryn Justice@camijustice

#Browns Demetric Felton said he wants to play at kick and punt returner as well. "I make plays, I score touchdowns, I do all that. I'm just really excited for the opportunity."

--------------------------

#Browns Demetric Felton said he bonded with ST Coordinator Mike Priefer during the pre-draft process.

--------------------------

LINK to vid

Footballguys | Fantasy Football

@FBGNews@SigmundBloom and @CecilLammey

are live now with the AFC North Draft Recap!

Cecil Lammey and Sigmund Bloom break down the 2021 NFL draft. In This Episode: did the Ravens add the right weapons for QB Lamar Jackson, what were the Bengals thinking passing on OT Penei Sewell, the Browns turn everything into gold, the Steelers get their bellcow back, plus more!

Mike Clay positional grades before FA signings.

• Safety .05
  • CB 2.1
  • LB .06
  • EDGE 2.9
  • INTERIOR DL 2.8
  • Defensive ranking 21 
  • Overall grade including offense 6
... Last year our DTs were soft, really bad against the run so hopefully Malik is not just ok but a force against the run.  

Bottom line, we addressed major weakness' on defense and their isn't any doubt in my mind that are a legit Super Bowl contender.  I'd love a better than average pass rusher and a boundary corner with size to have legit starters opposite Myles and Denzel but that 'probably' isn't going to happen but right now we have the starters to win the SB.
Clay's UPDATED positional rankings:  LINK  >>  Mike Clay Projections 2021 UPDATED

Mike Clay positional grades from a few days ago.  It looks like he included JOK at EDGE since the S position went up after we signed John Johnson and our LB unit grade actually went down a tic from  .09 to .08.  EDGE went up after we inked Clowney but has maxed out after the draft so he must have included JOK in the EDGE score.  

• Safety 3.1
  • CB 3.3
  • LB .08
  • EDGE 4.0
  • INTERIOR DL 1.0
  • Defensive ranking 6
  • Overall grade including offense 2
The two areas I felt we needed to address were boundary corner and EDGE.  I didn't think we'd be able to sign Clowney so EDGE got addressed and we took Greg Newsome with our first pick so boundary corner was addressed.  Getting JOK was beyond anything I could have imagined.

DT is an issue.  We drafted a guy and have been busy signing guys but I'd take Sheldon Richardson back in an instant if possible but I think that ship has sailed.  

Clay's UPDATED positional rankings:  LINK  >>  Mike Clay Projections 2021 UPDATED

Mike Clay positional grades from a few days ago.  It looks like he included JOK at EDGE since the S position went up after we signed John Johnson and our LB unit grade actually went down a tic from  .09 to .08.  EDGE went up after we inked Clowney but has maxed out after the draft so he must have included JOK in the EDGE score.  

• Safety 3.1
  • CB 3.3
  • LB .08
  • EDGE 4.0
  • INTERIOR DL 1.0
  • Defensive ranking 6
  • Overall grade including offense 2
The two areas I felt we needed to address were boundary corner and EDGE.  I didn't think we'd be able to sign Clowney so EDGE got addressed and we took Greg Newsome with our first pick so boundary corner was addressed.  Getting JOK was beyond anything I could have imagined.

DT is an issue.  We drafted a guy and have been busy signing guys but I'd take Sheldon Richardson back in an instant if possible but I think that ship has sailed.  
Bracie, you follow this stuff much closer than I do.  

I thought JOK was generally considered a cover LB?  why do you think they included him in the edge category?  

also can you fill us in on how the grades work?  and the overall grade, is that a grade or a ranking?

I’ll hang up and listen.  

I thought JOK was generally considered a cover LB?  why do you think they included him in the edge category?  

also can you fill us in on how the grades work?  and the overall grade, is that a grade or a ranking?

I’ll hang up and listen.  
I think that because the LB score went DOWN and the S score remained the SAME while the EDGE score went up to the MAX.

Have to assume he included JOK in the EDGE positional category.

JOK is a guy who had no clear position and he does rush the passer.  Clowney is great setting the edge and has his 'best' pass rush inside.  JOK can pressure from the edge.

Pete Smith categorizes him as a ROVER but Stefanski has stated he's an OLB so I would take down Clay's EDGE grade and bump-up the LB grade.

In any event the overall score evens out.

I wasn’t clear. Why do you think they decided to include him in the edge category instead of LB, do they think he’ll primarily blitz?  That seems contrary to everything that I’ve read.  

I agree it doesn’t really matter in the end, just curious how you think he’ll be used. 

I wasn’t clear. Why do you think they decided to include him in the edge category instead of LB, do they think he’ll primarily blitz?  That seems contrary to everything that I’ve read.  

I agree it doesn’t really matter in the end, just curious how you think he’ll be used. 
Why?  

No one outside of the building knows so he was guessing just as Pete Smith is guessing and you and I would be guessing.

Stefanski has stated he will play OLB, more in the traditional WLB role but he's got all sorts of coverage and pass rush skills as well so if others want to picture him as a hybrid S/cover-LB or OLB/EDGE well... he does those things.

I guess it doesn't really matter how he's classified and I have to imagine Clay saw his EDGE pass rush as his most dominant trait because he boosted the Browns EDGE grade to the MAX while dropping the LB grade and didn't move on his S grade so he obviously put him in as a EDGE player.

I’ll hang up and listen.  
This doesn't really answer your question, but I think he's to this class what Isaiah Simmons was to last year. Not a perfect comp, but the same range? Yeah, and I have a lot more faith in Joe Woods' ability to adapt to a player's tools than Vance Joseph. He's a chess piece that can be utilized in a lot of different ways. I don't expect him to be given a full plate of work from the outset, but as he successfully completes one role then another will be added. 

I think that he cannot take one player and boost multiple positions or he'd have to take a QB and go through all sorts of grade machinations like:  Oh the QB impacts the WR/TE/3rd down RB/REC grades along with the O-Line but this guy also is a scrambling RB QB so...  

It would get too messy if he saw JOK as an OLB, S/LB hybrid, EDGE/LB hybrid and then starting tinkering with three positions.  I think it is obvious that he chose one position and improved it knowing the other grades would even out.

How does he grade?  If its explained in intricate detail it doesn't really matter because different people would assign different grades.  All I know is he's been doing this work for years and its really impressive and he updates his work.  I was floored the first time I saw it and he's been very consistent and 'fairly' accurate.  

Mike Clay's work is a great source for fantasy, the NFL draft, and/or looking to see what areas a team is strong/weak at.  Can't pimp his work enough.  >>>   LINK

The Man With No Name said:
On 4/24/2020 at 11:27 PM, Bracie Smathers said:

Still some good talent available.   Curtis Weaver still their as well.

EDGE CURTIS WEAVER, BOISE STATE
Yeah, when someone posted the link back to what we were saying last draft I came across the name Curtis Weaver and remembered that YOU mentioned him before the draft when we were looking at EDGE/pass rushers.

The Man With No Name

Posted March 21

They have a guy that had 34 sacks in 3 years of college. Curtis Weaver. 
Number 99

Miami Dolphins[edit]

Weaver was drafted by the Miami Dolphins in the fifth round (164th overall) of the 2020 NFL Draft.[6] He was waived/injured by the team on August 24, 2020.[7]

Cleveland Browns[edit]

Weaver was claimed off waivers by the Cleveland Browns on August 25, 2020.[8] The Browns placed Weaver on injured reserve on August 27, 2020.[9]
I was going to go back and check to see if it was the same Curtis Weaver because I had completely forgotten making that post last year.

Its an interesting story, he was productive but low RAS score.  Definitely a name I'll keep an eye👁️‍🗨️ on.

Elliott ESPN's #41 overall ranked player taken at #88
Draft night from last year:

11:18pm: Per PFF, Jordan Elliot is the only Power-5 interior defender with 90.0+ run-defense and pass-rush grades. Great value pick for Berry!

Steve Doerschuk@sdoerschukREP

Daniel Jeremiah ranks No. 88 pick Jordan Elliott as 67th-best player in draft: "Scheme-diverse ... offers high upside. with talent to become a starter in Year 1 or 2."

---------------------------------------------------------

11:06pm: Jordan Elliot is an interior rusher with intangibles but limited production. Boom or bust prospect at defensive tackle. At least they get some depth at 3-technique.

11:10pm: Elliot was ranked 23rd on PFF's big board! The Browns are only team with three players in the top-25 of PFF's big board. Analytics showing true in Berry's first draft.

------------------------------------------

October 1st of last year: 

PFF about our rookie 3rd round draft pick DT:

Quote:  The Browns look like they got one of the steals of the draft in third-round defensive tackle Jordan Elliott. His 77.0 overall grade is the highest of any rookie with at least 50 snaps — don’t be surprised to see his snap counts rise as the season wears on after playing only 82 through three games.

Yesterday:

Nathan Zegura@NathanZegura

DL Coach Chris Kiffin just told us that the guy he is most excited about this year in the DT room is Jordan Elliott...expecting a big jump in year 2

I hope this report is more than just wishful thinking because the only 'hole' with major question marks on the team is defensive interior.  

DL Coach Chris Kiffin just told us that the guy he is most excited about this year in the DT room is Jordan Elliott...expecting a big jump in year 2
Their is 'talk' about resigning Sheldon Richardson but unless we get a substantial home town discount I don't see it so we really need Elliot and/or one of the other DTs we've taken flyers on to step up.

I really wanna see Clowney at full strength with Myles on the other side.  I think Jadeveon will be like a staff wielding Gandalf against the run.  (ranks in the top 97th percentile stopping the run)

Ranking all 32 NFL defensive line units ahead of the 2021 season

11. CLEVELAND BROWNS

Jadeveon Clowney has seemingly gone from being overrated to underrated in the span of a few seasons. Injuries hindered his impact in stops with Seattle and Tennessee, but he has still been disruptive when healthy. Across the past five seasons, Clowney ranks in the 86th percentile at the position in pass-rushing grade and in the 97th percentile in run-defense grade. Clowney’s presence should keep teams from focusing all of their attention on Myles Garrett, creating more one-on-one opportunities for both players. 

Jordan Elliott is a name to watch in his second season out of Missouri. He earned PFF grades of at least 85.0 in each of his final two college seasons and could earn a more prominent role on Cleveland’s defensive line in 2021. 

Matt Waldman

@MattWaldman

·

Jun 11

My Five Most Heart-Breaking Moments as an NFL Fan

1. The Fumble (CLE)
2. One-Yard Shy (TEN)
3. Bo Jackson’s Injury
4. The Drive (CLE)
5. The Beast Mode Carry That Never Came

good news, guys.  the Browns FA DLinemen look great against the blocking sled!!!

“Clowney is expected to start on one side of the line, with Myles Garrett on the other — which gives Cleveland two players who were taken first in their respective classes on the same line. It was also the first time the two were on the field together and while these practices aren’t padded, it was still an impressive day according to Mary Kay Cabot

The Browns beat reporter shared a video of the two working out, saying they “blasted through the bags one after the other” during a set of drills.”

Was just reviewing my team defense situation in my dynasty league (dropped Ravens about 6 weeks ago to free up a roster slot while keeping the Browns D).  Reading the last page+ of this thread makes me feel good. I hope they turn out to be the difference maker I expect them to be in 2021. 

... Allen has one of the best arms ALL-TIME and he doesn't fumble.  If he gets developed properly he has Elway potential IMHO...

I tried to ignore and move on, but I'm still giggling like an idiot with that Josh Allen and Elway comparison.
FMIA Guest: Greg Cosell On The NFL Evolution Of X And O Film Study

I think, speaking of Josh Allen, he is the most physically gifted quarterback in the NFL. That is not a bold, controversial take. It is just a statement of fact. Whether he develops into the best quarterback in the NFL is a different question, one that remains to be answered. Remember, Allen is 6-foot-5 and 240 pounds. Think about that for a moment. I have stood right next to him, and he is a big man. I stood a few feet away watching him throw, and I have never seen a ball come out of the hand of a passer like it does with Allen. It was otherworldly. The name that often comes up, and rightly so, when the talk is of the most physically talented quarterbacks of all time is John Elway. Allen is a much bigger man than Elway. Allen is the most intriguing quarterback I have watched and evaluated in all my years at NFL Films. It would not surprise me at all if we soon call Allen the most physically gifted quarterback the league has ever seen. Stay tuned.

Since 1971 their have only been 34 teams who had continuity of a minimum of 6 games of their 11 starters on offense from the previous year. 

All but three of those 34 teams improved their points per game.

Right now the 2021 Cleveland Browns would become the 35th team since 1971 to have the exact same starters on offense if they stay together for at least 6 games.

Check out the chart.

==============

LINK to chart

Anthony Reinhard @reinhurdler

The 2021 Browns have a chance to become the 35th team since the merger to begin a season with all 11 offensive starters coming off a season with 6 or more starts in the previous season. I took a quick look at how the other 34 teams fared in the season before and after.

12:02 PM · Jul 12, 2021·TweetDeck

-----------------------------------------------

Interesting discussion.

------------------------------------------------

Replying to@reinhurdler

No surprise, but most teams who bring everyone back on offense were already good at offense! 29 of the 34 teams were coming off a season where they scored more points per game than the NFL average.

Anthony Reinhard @reinhurdler Jul 12

Because of that, there is a decent amount of regression in the return season. But the teams who improved the most (MIN '98, CHI '85, SF '84, PHI '02) at least made it to the conference championship game.

From Ian Rappaport - The #Browns have hired former #Lions GM Bob Quinn as a Senior Consultant to their Football Ops department, source said. A new voice and sounding board for GM Andrew Berry, Quinn will help in a multitude of areas.

--

I'm sorry Browns fans. I'm sorry. 

Your future looked so promising too. Oh well.

From Ian Rappaport - The #Browns have hired former #Lions GM Bob Quinn as a Senior Consultant to their Football Ops department, source said. A new voice and sounding board for GM Andrew Berry, Quinn will help in a multitude of areas.

--

I'm sorry Browns fans. I'm sorry. 

Your future looked so promising too. Oh well.
Not worried about him in this role in this environment. If his information and analysis is inadequate then they'll say thanks for your services. 

It feels strange to think "I really trust what this FO is doing" when referring to the Browns, but here we are.  I don't have any trepidations about this hiring or his role in the FO.

Jamie Gillan has been working on deadening the ball inside the 5 yard line and kicking long (50+ yard) field goals.

@RuiterWrongFAN

Unofficial hang times: 4.21, 4.17, 3.95, 3.82, 4.43, 4.18, 4.89, 5.72 & 4.75 #Browns

I

First looks:

LB/S Jeremiah Owusu-Koramoah aka JOK 8 tackles and 1 sack.  Exceeded my expectations.  Quick-twitch speed/range, delivered pop.  And he stood out on ST, nearly blocked a punt.  His speed is going to cause problems for teams.  When O-Linemen squared with him he didn't shed but I'm very impressed.  He has missed weeks of camp so he's behind but he will play and play well this year.

WR Donovan Peoples-Jones DPJ looked good with a catch from the first snap.  Had the best grab (one-handed) of the night.

FS Richard LeCounte III  Where in the Wild-Wild-World of sports did he come from?  Whoa Nelly.  This guy was everywhere.  He missed all of his rookie season last year so he was flying under my radar but not anymore.  I don't know why no one is talking about LeCounte.  I'm blown away.  

QB Kyle Lauletta looked good.

RB/KR/WR Demtric Felton was very impressive catching the ball.  Looked 'adequate' with one of his returns.  

WR Rashard 'Hollywood' Higgins looks smooth.  High floor with a lower ceiling than DPJ but very solid.

RT James Hudson did 'ok' his first game. 

Neither CB Greedy Williams or rookie CB Greg Newsome won the job but I like the small glimpse I had of Newsome.  

DT Andrew Billings is a force stopping the run. 👍

Negatives, LB Mack Wilson getting dinged again.  Not sure of the other starting DT.  Will we ever see SS Grant Delpit?  DE Takkarist McKinley.  Where are ya buddy?  We sure could use another pass rusher/depth.  Injury to TE Stephen Carlton.  Was hoping our back-up O-Linemen would have looked better run blocking but wow they looked great in pass-pro.

saw it somewhere on the twitter, and trying not to get a chub...

but the video of OBJ in pregame making cuts and sideline grabs --------- dare I say looked like yr2 OBJ w the giants. absolutely a different man physically (and likely mentally).

but trying not to get ahead of myself... not really working tho

Users who are viewing this thread