What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Cleveland Browns (3 Viewers)

If a man was wanting to buy a Joe Thomas jersey, how would he go about it? Not a trick question.
Few on-line options to choose from:

If you go to the official NFL store you can custom order any name on the back and choose the number and that starts over $119 so I checked EBAY and found this:

JOE THOMAS Unsigned Custom Cleveland Brown Sewn Football Jersey Sizes S-3XL

Price:

US $33.80

-----------------------------------------------

Props for the nice OBJ gesture.  :thumbup:

Odell Beckham Jr. pens a handwritten farewell to the ‘Greatest Fans Ever’ in Believeland

Thanks @Bracie Smathers. I find it kind of odd that on the Browns team and NFL shop’s one can’t purchase a Joe Thomas jersey but I can get a Joe DeLamielleure or Ozzie Newsome one. JT got some legal thing going on that they can’t sell his jersey?

Soulfly3 said:
what a MASSIVE game this week.... with Ben out, BAL losing... this has to be a dub. Nothing but. 
It's a massive something but it ain't a dub.

Game was over in the 1st quarter. They look like they are intimidated. Terrible game in every facet.

I know it doesn’t. 

I got nothing. 

actually had the chance to watch the game today.  Wish I hadn’t. 
It was a coaching failure on both sides of the ball. Then the players made sure of it. This embarrassment was a group effort. 

Not sure if it’s coaching staff or the players they have, but the Browns feel like more of a collection of players than a team. There’s no heart, no “us versus them” mentality. No seeming desire to play for each other.

Bracie Smathers said:
Few on-line options to choose from:

If you go to the official NFL store you can custom order any name on the back and choose the number and that starts over $119 so I checked EBAY and found this:

JOE THOMAS Unsigned Custom Cleveland Brown Sewn Football Jersey Sizes S-3XL

Price:

US $33.80

-----------------------------------------------

Props for the nice OBJ gesture.  :thumbup:

Odell Beckham Jr. pens a handwritten farewell to the ‘Greatest Fans Ever’ in Believeland

Wow...Puts OBJ in a new light for me.

Not sure if it’s coaching staff or the players they have, but the Browns feel like more of a collection of players than a team. There’s no heart, no “us versus them” mentality. No seeming desire to play for each other.
I don't think the defense buys into what Woods is selling. I don't think the offense believes they can come from that far behind with an injured Baker under center. I don't know what Stefanski was thinking today after the first drive. 

I don't think the defense buys into what Woods is selling. I don't think the offense believes they can come from that far behind with an injured Baker under center. I don't know what Stefanski was thinking today after the first drive. 
What schematically is he selling? Is it the movement to nickel base and dime? And that's just a guess based on personnel. I really don't know.

Last edited by a moderator:
What schematically is he selling? Is it the movement to nickel base and dime? And that's just a guess based on personnel. I really don't know.
Succinctly, he is resistant to allowing his db's play press man, sending more than the front 4, and making adjustments when his plan isn't working. What happened today was the players throwing up their arms screaming try something else...and he didn't. 

Succinctly, he is resistant to allowing his db's play press man, sending more than the front 4, and making adjustments when his plan isn't working. What happened today was the players throwing up their arms screaming try something else...and he didn't. 
most specific post I’ve seen from you in some time.  appreciate it.  

Garrett said as much in the post game. Going to be an interesting week in Berea 

Thanks @Bracie Smathers. I find it kind of odd that on the Browns team and NFL shop’s one can’t purchase a Joe Thomas jersey but I can get a Joe DeLamielleure or Ozzie Newsome one. JT got some legal thing going on that they can’t sell his jersey?
Shocking.

Its ALMOST like the NFL fazes out popular jerseys if they run out of readily available warehouse supplies then force fans to pay extra to custom order and pocket the money.  Nahhhh  the NFL is all about making fans happy over greed.  

Pete Smith@_PeteSmith_

People complain the Browns don't run enough man.

Screens are a man and blitz beater. All the things fans insist the Browns don't do enough.

----------------------------------------

Pats obliterated us with screens AND reverses on 3rd down.  Their biggest soul-crushing plays happened with those plays on 3rd down.

What HAD been happening when Newsome was OUT injured and we had Greedy was a lot more man because Greedy excels in man and struggles in zone.  Newsome is playing well and is steadily improving.  Really like him.  

The two biggest scores surrendered by the Browns defense up until yesterday were against the Chargers and the Cardinals, guess who was OUT injured in those games and who was-in playing man?

Woods uses a mix of coverages but give McDaniels credit.  He was one step ahead and was kill'n.  

Injuries in the secondary have forced our hands more than anything else but I think we've all stepped away from the Monday morning hot takes with easy fixes and firing  Woods ...  Come on.

Last three games leading up to yesterday Woods-D gave up:

Sandwiched in were the 37 and 47 point explosions when Newsome was OUT and we were playing a lot more man due to having Greedy starting were two games where Woods-D dominated where they only gave up

HALF or the games the D has given up less than 17 points and 3 where they gave up 10 or less.  The  standard rule is if a D gives up 20 or less  you 'should' win.  We lost ONE of those five games with a beat-up QB.

Last year the  D had THREE games ALL YEAR where they gave up less than 17 points and they lost ONE of them in gail-force winds when Baker couldn't throw the ball.  

Hmmmn losing games where we can't throw the ball I wonder if that is an issue this year?

Yep, we rank 26th in league passing and its because our QB has a busted shoulder and is wearing a restricted harness.  Yesterday he complete 0 passes over 9 yards.  

It would help if we had a healthy QB and a legit deep vertical threat but ah...

The Browns collective defensive performance is skewed by playing four bottom tier offenses. It'll be five after this week. In those games the team has given up 14 pts/gm. In the other six - 31 per. 

I think it was fair to give Woods a pass last season given the lack of talent he dealt with all season long, but that is not the issue in 2021. Even when he's been short handed he's had core players active at all levels of the defense. Every team deals with injuries. How one adjusts to them is the difference between a mid packer and a legit contender. You're either coaching it or allowing it to happen. And he's quite simply not adjusting and allowing it to happen.

There's no reason to expect the above to change after this week and the QB will remain injured until next season.

Browns right now are a mediocre team.  they beat the bad teams, get beaten by the good teams.

we all expected more this year.  

good news is, it appears the entire AFC North is mediocre this year.  so there's still a small chance they can take the division and squeak into the playoffs.

Hmmmn losing games where we can't throw the ball I wonder if that is an issue this year?
On the first series against the Pats:

D'Ernest Johnson 

• 4 carries
  • 58 yards
  • 14.5 yards per carry
The rest of the game D'Ernest Johnson

• 15 carries
  • 41 yards
  • 2.73 yards per carry
The Patriots shut out the offense after the first series.  What were they doing on that first series and what adjustments did they make.

Patriots defense on the first series was a base D of 3-4-4 where the plan was to defend the run on first down and then swap out a LB for a DB on 2nd and medium/long but the Browns came in with the mindset that they would go-for-it on 4th down so they viewed 2nd and medium/long like a first down and were thinking run on 2nd and medium/long and even on 3rd medium/long and also effectively used the quick-count to prevent the Pats from brining in run defenders.  

That was the first series.  The Pats used that strategy on the second series and got the Browns into a 2nd and long and that is where the game turned because Baker threw that awful pick.  Patriots light bulb moment.  They did not respect our  QB.

The rest of the game the Pats adjusted their D to a 'heavy grouping' daring the Browns to pass.

The Browns saw that base and threw 'effectively' to make completions but Stefanski flinched.  STEFANSKI did not  trust Baker and ran into the teeth of the Patriots run defense and as you see by the stats they shut us down and it was because the Patriots had zero respect for Baker AND Stefanski lost confidence.

Hmnnnn.

Lets see if this happens going forward.  We lack the WRs and last week Felton was OUT.  Also we are scheduled to get Hunt back soon?  We'll have more weapons and more options.

Lets see.

Got the complete offensive line through 2022 until Tretter become a UFA. Wonder if they will try and resign him or not. 10 UFA's next season, Njoku, Walker and 3 DE's among them. Njoku likely gone imo. Someone will pay him.

The Man With No Name said:
Got the complete offensive line through 2022 until Tretter become a UFA. Wonder if they will try and resign him or not. 10 UFA's next season, Njoku, Walker and 3 DE's among them. Njoku likely gone imo. Someone will pay him.

they can't afford to pay everyone.  i'd almost guarantee Njoku is gone at the end of the year.  he flashes here and there, but is so inconsistent.

assuming Stefanski is here long term, i could see the Browns drafting a TE every year or two somewhere in rounds 2-4.

Before knowing what the market's like...

DL is the highest priority. I'm very curious to see what's done at the position - in both March and April.

A Baker contingency plan is probably priority 2. What? Great question!

Juice is probably out. I expect a couple wave 2 vets and a day 2 pick, but if the right partnership is out there they may open their wallets in March.

I think Njoku is more likely to be retained than youse guys. Sure, if his market is hot then he'll bounce, but I'm very skeptical that'll be the case. If they're able to ink him then I think Hooper's time here will be on the clock. 

I think Teller ultimately comes down to his health, Nick Harris, and locker room value. If he's out (possible this spring) then it's some combination of the first two and if he's kept then it's more the latter but all three. I wonder if they'll start planning for life after Conklin though.

The Hunt/D'Ern dynamic could be an interesting development.

Will Walker have a hotter market than last year? If no then I think he absolutely could come back. If he doesn't then expect a different vet to be brought in at a similar rate to pair with JOK and Phillips.

R Harrison - probably out, but if his market is cold maybe he's retained in wave 2. I think they'll have a number they want to spend at that position and it's a matter of who in the market bites. Could be a curveball position in the draft if an alpha type slips.

Analytics nerds love young CB's, so one somewhere in the top 100 should be expected.

Bracie Smathers said:
losing games where we can't throw the ball I wonder if that is an issue this year?

the game turned because Baker threw that awful pick.  Patriots light bulb moment.  They did not respect our  QB.

... We lack the WRs
Context Matters@dwainmcfarland

The first week without Odell Beckham Jr. wasn't a good one for the Browns receivers who went 0 for 10 getting open versus press-single-man coverage.

They defeated single-man coverage only 27% total.

This team isn't built to shoot out or come from behind.

Belichick knew that.

1:05 PM · Nov 15, 2021·Twitter Web App

Baker back to practice today with the intention of starting Sunday. Not sure that's the right move for either him or the team this week against the Lions.

beer 30 said:
Baker back to practice today with the intention of starting Sunday. Not sure that's the right move for either him or the team this week against the Lions.
i tend to agree.

if Keenum can't beat the Lions, i'd cut him.

HOT TAKE

Not a Cleveland homer, don't live in the area.  Any local reports on Chubb?  Was he symptomatic; is there a chance that he won't be 100% (with regards to his conditioning, etc)?  I feel like this is a great matchup, but if he's not at 100%, that would suck.

I am glad that he is over Covid and healthy but as a D'Ernest Johnson owner my team's chances this week just got considerably worse.

I am glad that he is over Covid and healthy but as a D'Ernest Johnson owner my team's chances this week just got considerably worse.
I have Chubb in most leagues, but there is one I missed him and later added D'Ern. I'm not going to decide until tomorrow, but I'm leaning towards playing him. Between the opponent, that Chubb was on covid IR > 10 days, and Baker's even more injured than he already was I think there may be a healthy dose of D'Ern this week. Barring injury this may be the end of his 2021 useful life though.

13-10 against a winless team with a QB starting his first game? Oof. Didn't see the game but didn't have to in order to know that sucks.

13-10 against a winless team with a QB starting his first game? Oof. Didn't see the game but didn't have to in order to know that sucks.
For some reason, Stefanski has a death wish for his QB and is focused on passing the ball come hell or high water. Chubb had a nice day and seemingly was gaining 10 yards every time he touched the ball but Baker through the ball 29 times. I guess looking at the stats, it’s a fairly even break with a slight edge to running the ball but damn man, our OL was dominating on sweeps today. Just run the ball until they stop it and try to take some weight of your hobbled QB. You got Baker and Landry limping bad by the end of the game against a team that is meaningless to you with a capable backup on the sidelines and the meat of your division games coming up.

This after a 3rd & 1 that we threw on. I didn’t get the game plan at all today and if it weren’t for about 4 pass interference calls against Detroit, I think this game ends differently. We tried desperately to give the Lions their first win today.

The numbers had to only skewed back to near even because of the last drive. I haven’t looked at the final tally though.

Stefanski says he’s looking in the mirror, but on game day he’s proving that’s not happening. All you have to do is refer to the one drive late in the game where we came out and threw it 3 times and punted. Oh yeah, iirc, he rolled out or moved the pocket on all three with our hobbled QB. 

Never gave much credence to the chatter during the week about giving Baker the weekend off. After watching the game today, that’s exactly what we should have done. I wasn’t aware of this heel issue either. It’s been kept under the radar or somehow I’ve glossed over it (focusing on shoulders, knees, hips, etc LOL). 

Our team isnt that good.

Baker is absolutely dreadful.  

I give us a 10% chance to make the playoffs.  

I sincerely hope we dont sign Baker long term.  Even when healthy he isnt anything special, and I think he will be banged up his whole career.

Healthy Baker isnt worth a big contract.
And at this rate, he isn’t getting the big money. From anyone. The question is simply what is he worth vs what you have to pay someone else. Many of those other names are likely to be worse for us. You didn’t forget our QB carousel before Baker already did you?

Users who are viewing this thread