What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2021 Shark Strategy for PPR Redraft by Draft Positions 9-12 (1 Viewer)

Hot Sauce Guy

Footballguy
This is a subject I spend time on every preseason - developing my strategy for approaching redraft snake draft format. I find that often my strategy shifts from early/middle/late positions 

Using PPR performance scoring, ,1/2 PaYd, .1/1 Ru/ReYd 1 QB, 2 RB, 3 WR, 1 FL, and current ADP, what do you see as the best strategy by position this year? 

Three topics. This one is for picks 9-12

1. 1-4, "the perfect draft" first 5 picks (by player or position)

2. 5-8, "the perfect draft" first 5 picks (by player or position)

3. 9-12, "the perfect draft" first 5 picks (by player or position)

Follow-up - does draft position alter your strategy? Would you take a WR1 from anywhere 1-12?  Would you be comfortable going WR-WR from 12 or RB-RB from 1? 

Or do you have different strategies for different draft positions? 

Are there certain spots you're more likely to take an elite TE in the early rounds? 

Seems like CMC is the universal 1.01, and Cook 1.02, so I'd think "Hero RB" would be on order for those two picks at least. 

Anyway, curious as to what the sharks think of 2021 according to at least the most current ADP information. Do you have a strategy yet, or are you still waiting to see where things shake out over the next few weeks? 

If you're feeling bold, please do post your "perfect draft" by player or position for picks 1-5 from each of the 4 positions. 

This topic is for positions 9-12 in a 12 team redraft league

Go! 

:pickle:  

Last edited by a moderator:
Of all the mocks I've participated in, I've had the best results with WR-RB at 1.12/2.01, followed by WR/WR or WR/TE, and about 60% of the time I'm able to land one of my top 5 QBs. If not there's usually a "dead zone" RB I think has life, or a WR if I took a RB early.

Many of my mocks from 1.11 or 1.12 look something like this, and it feels like such a nice start: 

1.11 Ridley

2.02 AJones (or Mixon) 

3.11 Kupp (or Godwin)

4.02 Pitts (or Andrews or Hockenson)

5.11 QB or JWill/Henderson or WR3 if BPA

Then stack up on what's left of the flex-worthy RBs & upside backs.

If I don't catch a top TE, I probably do something like this: 

1.11 WR

2.02 RB

3.11 WR

4.02 RB

5.11 RB/WR/BPA

Of course, much of this changes in a live draft when positions run - if 5 QBs go in the first 3 rounds, my whole plan gets blowed up in a hurry. I've seen crazier things. Early TE runs happen too sometimes.

But I do like having a plan. 

As I said in the other thread, targeting a certain position is a terrible way to approach a draft.  Too many things happen in each individual draft that if you force a position you miss out on value and lose flexibility.

Make a combined draft board and follow it.  Don't force positions and adjust based on how the draft unfolds.  That is how to craft your best team.

As I said in the other thread, targeting a certain position is a terrible way to approach a draft.  Too many things happen in each individual draft that if you force a position you miss out on value and lose flexibility.

Make a combined draft board and follow it.  Don't force positions and adjust based on how the draft unfolds.  That is how to craft your best team.
I don’t disagree. 

This isn’t an either/or. I have a rankings & draft board that I go Into the draft with. 

But I also mock quite a bit to experiment with different approaches. After a number of mocks, patterns emerge between players I like and players available. 

I’m certainly not locking myself into any specific order, or suggesting anyone do that.

But between rankings, positional depth, & ADP, I’ve had the best success with this sort of pattern. 

I have a number of approaches. I’m just asking for the approaches our members might take depending on where they draft. Whether they’re more likely to go elite TE from one spot or another, for example. 

Lot of talk about WR depth again this year & I’m not sure I agree. Some of the early stud WRs seem to offer a sizable advantage. I might want to come out of the 1st 3 rounds with 2 top receivers by his year, for example. But this seems to work better drafting in the 2nd half. 

This sounds like really sound advice, This sounds like the sort of stuff you hear on solid FF podcasts all the time. I’m not sure you’ve sold this just yet.

It sounds like you are saying just follow your combined board - your all positions rankings list or Tiered Cheat sheets, and ignore roster construction. Don’t target positions, target value.

Did I state your draft strategy correctly?

I normally completely agree with this, but depending on format, drafting late can force some early RB picks or a RB zero strategy. I am 11th in FFPC this year, I expect nearly 30 RB's will be gone by my 5th pick. I feel I have to get at least 2 RB's in my first 4 picks. I also have to think about a TE at the first turn or wait on a sleeper at TE. 

I am expecting to go RB/TE and the RB/WR. I am not locked in though.

This sounds like really sound advice, This sounds like the sort of stuff you hear on solid FF podcasts all the time. I’m not sure you’ve sold this just yet.

It sounds like you are saying just follow your combined board - your all positions rankings list or Tiered Cheat sheets, and ignore roster construction. Don’t target positions, target value.

Did I state your draft strategy correctly?

Follow the combined board for at least 5 or 6 rounds them you can start filling in and you can adjust for positions earlier if you have a couple guys virtually ranked the same.  

Bottom line is that going in with a mindset of taking RB-WR-WR-TE-RB (or whatever positions) is not a method for success as drafts have strange things happen all the time.

Bottom line is that going in with a mindset of taking RB-WR-WR-TE-RB (or whatever positions) is not a method for success as drafts have strange things happen all the time.
Any firm plan is a plan for failure. But having an idea of what works best in conjunction with such a draft board can be an even better overall approach. 

Practicing drafting from various positions is going to give you a great idea of what might be there. Where the tiers on your board fall off of a cliff, etc.

You seem to be interpreting having a plan with “written in stone”. Definitely not the idea of this topic. 

Follow the combined board for at least 5 or 6 rounds them you can start filling in and you can adjust for positions earlier if you have a couple guys virtually ranked the same.  

“No plan survives first contact with the enemy.”

I mock every slot a few times. After we draw our spots this week, I’ll practice that slot every day for the next three weeks. I absolutely have a plan bc 1) I know 3-4 guys I like to fill that position are going to be in the 1st, in the 2nd, in the 3rd, etc. There will be surprises and I’ll get sniped and once or twice a round somebody will reach for their guy. But I guarantee you that most drafts are going to see 9-11 RBs in the 1st and another 4-6 RBs in the 2nd. Kelce is gone by pick 15 and the Bog 3 is off the board 30-35. The Next 3 will be gone by the end of the 6th. If I don’t wait until the 7th to take my TE then I’ll be praying for you a TD every week bc 7-12 are all basically the same untrustworthy guy. You better believe I have a general script in mind.

All that says, the execution may not look like my scripted plan at all. Every draft is different. Let the draft come to you. But I def have a plan in mind tand o start with.

I am also a fan of the wait on QB thing as "getting a top 5 guy" is no sure thing.  I would rather wait until a bit later round and grab a couple of Brady, Tannehil, Stafford, Lawrence, etc..., especially with a late or early pick. Usually 2 picks within 3 rounds or so after the 10th. 

Well, it looks like my strategy is different from pretty much everyone else's 🤔. In my drafts this year I seem to see RBs go early and find decent WRs available later. I  do draft a little differently for bb v managed roster contests.

1st round I just rank my top players and set it to auto draft my 1st pick. While I don't usually include a WR in my 1st round list, I have taken a couple WRs in the 1st round to just to diversity a little. Chances are, Kelce would be my highest ranked guy for picks 9-12. I really don't understand how people who research and mock etc. to prepare for a draft end up taking more than 2 seconds for their 1st round pick, but everyone's different so Saul Goodman.

By the end of the 5th round I usually have 2-3 RBs. If I don't get Kelce, I tend not to get Waller or Kittle either and wait for guys like Pitts or TJ  in the 6-7 rounds.

8th-10th rounds I'm probably getting the Brady/Stafford picks, but it seems like Brady's going a little earlier lately.

From that point I tend to just fill out the roster based on who I want and don't worry about reaching for a guy I want.

That's me. You do you. Good luck all.

Edit: just thought I'd mention that I preselect and auto draft a lot throughout the draft. I think having some kind of plan in place allows this.

I agree on being flexible though I do have to say we are better at analyzing which types of team builds are more successful than we are at actually identifying which players will be successful. If you look at ADP each year, it's not very predictive of where players finish. Some of that is injuries but a lot of it is us just being totally wrong on player talent and situation. Just look at some of the names that went in the 2nd-4th round of PPR drafts last year: Kenyan Drake, Miles Sanders, James Conner, Fournette, David Johnson, Lev Bell, DJ Chark, Mark Ingram, Juju, Singletary, Gurley. 

I really don't understand how people who research and mock etc. to prepare for a draft end up taking more than 2 seconds for their 1st round pick, but everyone's different so Saul Goodman.

a pet peeve of mine every year. 1st round should take 2-3 minutes, tops. Somehow half the league takes their full 120 seconds for each pick. 

cmon - you’ve been preparing for this fir 3-4 months!  

By the end of the 5th round I usually have 2-3 RBs. If I don't get Kelce, I tend not to get Waller or Kittle either and wait for guys like Pitts or TJ  in the 6-7 rounds.
since both are creeping in to the 4th/5th, you may need to revisit this plan. 

6-7 you’re maybe getting Higbee/Fant. 

ETA : brainfart on Hig-name

Of all the mocks I've participated in, I've had the best results with WR-RB at 1.12/2.01, followed by WR/WR or WR/TE, and about 60% of the time I'm able to land one of my top 5 QBs. If not there's usually a "dead zone" RB I think has life, or a WR if I took a RB early.

Many of my mocks from 1.11 or 1.12 look something like this, and it feels like such a nice start: 

1.11 Ridley

2.02 AJones (or Mixon) 

In PPR, Aaron Jones should be a top 6 pick IMO. I am not sure where his ADP will end up now that Rodgers is back but it will creep up. 

Dissecting the original draft posted.  I basically refuse to take 2 players of the same position from the same team (i.e. Pitts/Ridley)...  I think it is a recipe for disaster. 

1. Positional scarcity does play into a large part of what I do in the draft. (start runs don't be on the back end of one).  You also have to see a run coming and understand trends when a TE is taken, etc. 
2. I hold off on QB's and run a by committee approach (sometimes drafting 3 QB's - probably 4 with Watson at the end of the draft).  
3. I stream WR's and am absolutely fine with getting a top WR, but will almost 100% of the time then go RB/TE/RB (again, due to scarcity).

After round 6, the strategy changes.  Largely due to knowing you have your "core" guys.  However, I typically go WR heavy due to taking RB's pretty early in the first 4 rounds.  

In PPR, Aaron Jones should be a top 6 pick IMO. I am not sure where his ADP will end up now that Rodgers is back but it will creep up. 
Yeah, I’ve been seeing it creep up. Mixon tends to make it to 12 more often now. 
Similarly I expect Taylor’s ADP to fall without clear insight on Wentz’ return. He may end up back around 12.

Dissecting the original draft posted.  I basically refuse to take 2 players of the same position from the same team (i.e. Pitts/Ridley)...  I think it is a recipe for disaster. 
I don’t have a rule. If Andrews, Pitts & Hock are on the board and I already have Ridley, I’m taking the TE at the top of my rankings if that’s the position I’m targeting there. 

I had a fantastic year once with Jordy/Cobb. :shrug:  

1. Positional scarcity does play into a large part of what I do in the draft. (start runs don't be on the back end of one).  You also have to see a run coming and understand trends when a TE is taken, etc. 
2. I hold off on QB's and run a by committee approach (sometimes drafting 3 QB's - probably 4 with Watson at the end of the draft).  
3. I stream WR's and am absolutely fine with getting a top WR, but will almost 100% of the time then go RB/TE/RB (again, due to scarcity).

After round 6, the strategy changes.  Largely due to knowing you have your "core" guys.  However, I typically go WR heavy due to taking RB's pretty early in the first 4 rounds.  
Good stuff, thanks for sharing. 👍🏼

I agree to some extent - and 100% agree that “the player” is way more important than “the position” when you’re OTC - but there is some strategy involved with certain draft slots as well.

We expanded from 12 teams to 14 because two guys that sat out wanted to come back, and I ended up with pick 14 (thanks Celtics). I do look at my rankings and feel WR is just so much deeper than RB that going RB/RB there is theoretically my best bet for building a team. Now if Kelce or Adams (or maybe even Mahomes) fall to 14, I throw my RB/RB strategy out the window. Otherwise my “plan” is to start with some combination of Ekeler, Chubb, Gibson or Taylor at the turn.

“No plan survives first contact with the enemy.”

I mock every slot a few times. After we draw our spots this week, I’ll practice that slot every day for the next three weeks. I absolutely have a plan bc 1) I know 3-4 guys I like to fill that position are going to be in the 1st, in the 2nd, in the 3rd, etc. There will be surprises and I’ll get sniped and once or twice a round somebody will reach for their guy. But I guarantee you that most drafts are going to see 9-11 RBs in the 1st and another 4-6 RBs in the 2nd. Kelce is gone by pick 15 and the Bog 3 is off the board 30-35. The Next 3 will be gone by the end of the 6th. If I don’t wait until the 7th to take my TE then I’ll be praying for you a TD every week bc 7-12 are all basically the same untrustworthy guy. You better believe I have a general script in mind.

All that says, the execution may not look like my scripted plan at all. Every draft is different. Let the draft come to you. But I def have a plan in mind tand o start with.

My problems with mock drafts is most of the times they aren't realistic.  People jump on for a round or two then go autodraft or someone goes way off the beaten path and starts with 4 TE's and screws up the realistic possibilities.  Mocks are nice to try things to some degree but I have found many of them are useless when it comes to your actual draft.  

Out of 10 mocks I do only about 2 or 3 seem realistic.  That gets frustrating.  I also have some fairly unique league set ups so general mocks setups don't really apply very well.  Any suggestions or work arounds for that type of thing?

Any firm plan is a plan for failure. But having an idea of what works best in conjunction with such a draft board can be an even better overall approach. 

Practicing drafting from various positions is going to give you a great idea of what might be there. Where the tiers on your board fall off of a cliff, etc.

You seem to be interpreting having a plan with “written in stone”. Definitely not the idea of this topic. 

Understood.  With regards to mocks I have found that they aren't very realistic most of the times.  As you have said you use them to try different approaches and it seems like most of the time with 3 or 4 guys trying different approaches it really provides an unrealistic draft when all said and done and doesn't really give a lot of value.  Out of 10 mocks I get maybe 2 or 3 that seem reasonable.  Do you have a secret to improving the quality of mocks?

Do you have a secret to improving the quality of mocks?

absolutely: do more of them. I’d say 4 in 10 are somewhat realistic, and you can usually tell because 0 managers are on autopilot, and stay through at least 10 picks.

Qualify your mocks like that. Ignore results from the others where people start with 4 straight RB or 4 straight WR or reach a few rounds for a player. But you can get value from those as well. Because just like in mocks, people do unpredictable things in real drafts.  So to me the value of those is getting me better on my feet to adapt in real time to those curveballs that the draft might throw me. Because I know that’s gonna happen in real situations too & the only way to be prepared for it is to experience it.

So use every draft as a preparation tool, and keep track of the ones that seem more realistic. 

We really should get some FBG mocks going. I’d happily sign up for a 10 round draft or 3 if others here were interested. 

I agree to some extent - and 100% agree that “the player” is way more important than “the position” when you’re OTC - but there is some strategy involved with certain draft slots as well.

We expanded from 12 teams to 14 because two guys that sat out wanted to come back, and I ended up with pick 14 (thanks Celtics). I do look at my rankings and feel WR is just so much deeper than RB that going RB/RB there is theoretically my best bet for building a team. Now if Kelce or Adams (or maybe even Mahomes) fall to 14, I throw my RB/RB strategy out the window. Otherwise my “plan” is to start with some combination of Ekeler, Chubb, Gibson or Taylor at the turn.

I agree with this approach and that can be factored into your combined board where it puts those RB's ahead of some of the other WR's so as the draft unfolds you have already baked in that value to your order.   I just caution that if something strange happens and RB's fly off the board for the first 13 picks and you have the top two WR's available because none have been taken than that seems the better way to go at the 14 slot turn.  I have seen many owners over the years lock into the idea that at the 14 spot I have to take RB's because of the reasons you outlined but in reality the RB's left to that spot end up being way down on the list because everyone else jumped on RB's in the first 13 picks and then the owner forces the RB's anyway.  That is the flaw I wanted to highlight about planning to take a certain position  

As an example, back in 1990 the guy with the first pick was a huge Dolphins fan.  Our league is SF and QB's were generally the top picks at that time.  Everyone assumed he was taking Marino being a Dolphins fan.  Well it turns out he decided to go with Warren Moon which put everyone into a tizzy.  After that happened it was like Draft Day and Marino starting falling.  He made it all the way to pick 8 (I was pick 9 and my dad was pick 8).  As the pick got to him he got up walked over to me and whispered, "Hey, Is Marino still available?"  I called him an ### and he started laughing and took Marino.   Bottom line is everyone went into the draft knowing the first pick was going to be Marino so they all had plans based on that and kept to those plans.  Sometimes when you plan so much your brain just falls in line with the plan even when things change.   

absolutely: do more of them. I’d say 4 in 10 are somewhat realistic, and you can usually tell because 0 managers are on autopilot, and stay through at least 10 picks.

Qualify your mocks like that. Ignore results from the others where people start with 4 straight RB or 4 straight WR or reach a few rounds for a player. But you can get value from those as well. Because just like in mocks, people do unpredictable things in real drafts.  So to me the value of those is getting me better on my feet to adapt in real time to those curveballs that the draft might throw me. Because I know that’s gonna happen in real situations too & the only way to be prepared for it is to experience it.

So use every draft as a preparation tool, and keep track of the ones that seem more realistic. 

We really should get some FBG mocks going. I’d happily sign up for a 10 round draft or 3 if others here were interested. 

I do a bunch of them but they get to be tedious when they are crap and I hate bailing on one I start even if it is crap because I hate when other's do that so I feel obligated.   I understand the value of mocks I just wish they were more realistic most of the time.  

My problems with mock drafts is most of the times they aren't realistic.  People jump on for a round or two then go autodraft or someone goes way off the beaten path and starts with 4 TE's and screws up the realistic possibilities.  Mocks are nice to try things to some degree but I have found many of them are useless when it comes to your actual draft.  

Out of 10 mocks I do only about 2 or 3 seem realistic.  That gets frustrating.  I also have some fairly unique league set ups so general mocks setups don't really apply very well.  Any suggestions or work arounds for that type of thing?

Quality varies by site, for sure. I usually mock on Underdog or FantasyPros bc they have flexibility. Using FP or DD, you’re essentially going against an AI. It’s better than most auto drafts but can lull you into thinking “I can get this guy in Rnd X every time.”  Then draft day comes and you’re getting sniped left and right bc your league mates DGAF about ADP or where they “should” draft someone.

Every year I spend a good chunk of time to review our league draft. Not to induce regret but I want to see where the values were. It’s amazing how often by the end of September we realize “that guy got drafr3d in the 6th? What a roster clogger.” So go ahead and reach (a little) if you really think a guy is someone to plant your flag on. In a few weeks no one will think “well that Diggs pick in the 5th worked out but ya know his ADP was mid-6th/early 7th.” 

Sometimes when you plan so much your brain just falls in line with the plan even when things change.   

the first year I had Tomlinson I got him at 2.10 because 2.09 said, “Toml-wait, he has the same BYE, I’ll take (I forget who but they were half as good as LT in his rookie year) 

The 2nd time I had him I got LT2 at 1.02 when everyone was certain he’d be pick 1.01, but team 1 had a (justified) man crush on Priest Holmes. When I was on the clock I panicked & ran to the computer (this was pre-smartphone era) to search for news about LT to see if he got hurt because I didn’t understand why he wouldn’t go 1.01

unexpected things can totally throw people off their game for sure. 

I think seeking this out can be a disaster but in general if I already have someone but three rounds later the guy at the top of my board is on that same team I don't have an issue taking him.  Points are points and if I think guy is better than everyone else and will score more points than everyone else I should take him.  If the offense can support those guys to the projections I have for them and it says that's the best player to take then why not take him?  I don't see a disaster in that.  

I do a bunch of them but they get to be tedious when they are crap and I hate bailing on one I start even if it is crap because I hate when other's do that so I feel obligated.   I understand the value of mocks I just wish they were more realistic most of the time.  
Like i said, it would be amazing if FBG set up some subscribers-only mocks. 

note: I don’t mean we should all wear those jackets with the popped collars. 

;)

it would be the single most valuable tool on this site, IMO. Mocking with randos is questionable in value, as you suggest. Mocking with sharks is very appealing. And that doesn’t mean we wouldn’t have experiments like someone going TE-QB-WR-WR-RB, but at least we’d know they’re doing so with purpose & not just to throw a mock into a tizzy.

Also to be fair, from FBB I know that some autopilot teams are doing that intentionally because they’ll be auto drafting & want to test their rankings to see how auto draft will go. Still lames up a draft.

I think seeking this out can be a disaster but in general if I already have someone but three rounds later the guy at the top of my board is on that same team I don't have an issue taking him.  Points are points and if I think guy is better than everyone else and will score more points than everyone else I should take him.  If the offense can support those guys to the projections I have for them and it says that's the best player to take then why not take him?  I don't see a disaster in that.  
Agree 💯 

For those not in the know, there is a mock draft forum here. That said, I would be totally down for one or three. 

For those not in the know, there is a mock draft forum here. That said, I would be totally down for one or three. 
There is?

is it like, slow board mocks, or is there an app to mock with? Or are the mocks at a different host site? 

slow board mocks, but we could easily go elsewhere and just post commentary there. 
Yeah, slow board mocks are way less than ideal 

is Mock Draft Central still a thing? 

I would think the FBG draft dominator could be modified a little & turned into an outstanding mock draft tool. Don’t l ow if @Joe Bryanthas even considered that, but it would definitely be a value-add for subscribers. 

Bumping this up, as ADP seems to have shifted enough over the last week (yes, ADP is faulty in many ways). Just ran a sim from 12 spot and got:

Chubb/Ekeler/Lamb/Evans/Aiyuk/Andrews/Brady

I would be over the moon with that.

Bumping this up, as ADP seems to have shifted enough over the last week (yes, ADP is faulty in many ways). Just ran a sim from 12 spot and got:

Chubb/Ekeler/Lamb/Evans/Aiyuk/Andrews/Brady

I would be over the moon with that.
I’m finding RB/RB and RB/WR from 12 have built the best rosters. Ridley/Gibson is a nice start to a draft. 

A few times both Diggs & Hill have slipped to the turn, and while sexy as hell, having Carson/Jacobs as my top 2 RB is a little less sexy. Though I didn’t hate those teams. A few times Dobbins has made the 2nd turn, too, but I’m not sure how realistic that is. 

One note about picking 12: I’ve found in active/live mocks where I’ve tried stud WR strategy, it tends to spook the league & starts a run on WRs. Which of course allows better RB to make it back. Just an observation. 

I don't see it being discussed here but in the first round, if you are in spot 10-12, you have to look at what's likely coming back to you.  The guys that draft 11 or 12 are likely taking RB & WR - so you have to look at do I take:

WR with pick 10 thinking you will get the 3rd best RB remaining

or

RB knowing you will likely get the 3rd best WR remaining

you have to view this pick as a pair - so if you are up and the best players are

RB - Ekeler, Gibson

WR - Hill, Diggs, Ridley

TE - Kelce

I think the preferred route is Gibson knowing you will pair with another guy from that bunch in round 2

If you go Hill you are likely pairing with RIdley and screwed at RB

Is Hill Ridley a better start than Gibson and RIdley?  Probably - but the Gibson Ridley team is probably a better team after rounds 3 and 4

No love for the back enders.  Following up on the above, other than the first turn I am almost never concerned with where the guys after me are picking ( so if I have pick 9 or 10, I never worry about who 11 and 12 are picking.  There's only like 1-2 times - the 1st one occurs in the first round wanting to know who I will get back in round 2 and the second is when I get to the point of taking a QB and those guys haven't picked one up yet either. 

Anyone with recent redraft results?  Please list the type of scoring system and team count.

I don't see it being discussed here but in the first round, if you are in spot 10-12, you have to look at what's likely coming back to you.  The guys that draft 11 or 12 are likely taking RB & WR - so you have to look at do I take:

WR with pick 10 thinking you will get the 3rd best RB remaining

or

RB knowing you will likely get the 3rd best WR remaining

you have to view this pick as a pair - so if you are up and the best players are

RB - Ekeler, Gibson

WR - Hill, Diggs, Ridley

TE - Kelce

I think the preferred route is Gibson knowing you will pair with another guy from that bunch in round 2

If you go Hill you are likely pairing with RIdley and screwed at RB

Is Hill Ridley a better start than Gibson and RIdley?  Probably - but the Gibson Ridley team is probably a better team after rounds 3 and 4
I always mock from everywhere. My best teams picking after 6 were consistently RB-RB

Eke -> Gibson

Eke -> Chubb

Eke -> Barkley (at that point worth the risk) 

I was able to Mixon/Gibson a bunch of times & I love that start. 

Basically any combination of Taylor, Chubb, Mixon, Gibson, Eke, Barkley, etc. 

Rick solid WRs always make it back. And it’s much easier to get a WR later than a RB. 

I know it’s hard to pass up the sexy sexy top 5 WRs, but I’m convinced that 9-12 (and even maybe 5-8) should be RB-RB. 

ETA: my Kelce builds were mostly successful, but there’s a lot of pressure to mail every pick. 

9-12 thread not getting much love - even though a third fall snakes are in that range
I woulda dove in more but ended up 1.01

😳

I’ll still hang with y’all tho!  Just cuz I’m high rent district now doesn’t mean I’ve forgotten my roots. I’ve picked 7-8-9 the last 5 years until last year (3). Y’all’s my people. :wub:  

imma get the draft board & give you yesterday’s 9-12 first 4 picks

👍🏼

12 team PPR 

Team 9

Taylor -> Metcalf -> Josh Allen -> JRobinson

Team 10 

Kelce -> Ekeler -> Woods -> ARod

Team 11

Diggs -> Jefferson -> Kittle -> Jacobs

Team 12 

Hopkins -> Mahomes -> K. Allen -> Arob

Team 9 the most balanced

Team 10 fell victim to the QB run (told me after he shouldn’t have reached)

Team 11 fell too in love with Jefferson, who helped him a lot last year but built a nice team (including getting the Dobbins/Gus Edwards notification 11 seconds before his 12th round pick. Lucky ****!

Team 12 got incredibly lucky at WR, so he would have been better off going Ekeler -> Mixon -> Allen -> Robinson. hindsight is a *****, huh? At the break he was lamenting his build a little. He said he never thought the 3.12/4.01 WR would be that good. To his credit he stuck to BPA. 👍🏼

I've got a 10th pick draft coming up later today (12-team, 0.5 PPR) and I still don't know what I'm doing. Maybe I'll be lucky and someone drops down who I wasn't expecting. Otherwise it'll like be a tough decision between Kelce, a WR (doubt Adams falls, but expect to see Hill and Diggs), or some 2nd tier RBs (Taylor, Eke, Gibson, Harris ... maybe Chubb or Saquon drop). This league only requires 2 WRs to start, so maybe value of position drops a little (in addition to not being full PPR). I guess it's nice that if most of the guys I listed are still there at 1.10 I'm guaranteed to get another at 2.03.

I've mocked a bunch and despite good grades I feel iffy about the squads I didn't take at least 1 RB in those first 2 rounds. I feel like I like Saquon and Eke, though mocks sometimes have Eke falling back to me in the 2nd (after starting off with a Hill, Kelce, Saquon, or Chubb).

What do you mean about team 10 falling victim to the QB run? Seems like 4 good picks there to me (I'd love if I went Kelce round 1 to have Eke fall back to me, and they got 2 really strong WRs).
I mean ARod would likely have made it another 2-3 rounds.

usually QBs go in mini-runs of tiers. This year half the league lost their damn minds. 

otherwise I really like his draft. 

Duh, I misread it as "ARob" not "ARod". Yeah, that's a stretch for Rodgers. My planning for QBs is to take value if its there. But if there's a run, just settle back and plan on taking one of the 10-12 guys (Tann, Hurts, Stafford) much later and maybe with pairing with a young upside guy (Trevor, Burrow, Lance, Fields, or even Winston)

Users who are viewing this thread