What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2022-23 NBA Thread: “you’ll never let me down like the Heat did”, Miami fan says to giant pile of cocaine (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Welp, I’ll see you guys on ping pong ball night
The Thunder have been tanking every year for the past few years solely to increase their chances on “ping pong” ball night. Even with Chet—they probably would have been tanking again this year. Let’s not act like Chet’s injury is somehow going to make the Thunder do something that they weren’t planning on doing anyway. While I feel bad for Chet and OKC fans—I don’t feel bad at all for the Thunder organization. They faked injuries and pulled their players because they were worried that the team was getting to competitive. They have wasted a couple years of Shai—one of the best young players in the league—and they will now waste another one. No halfway decent NBA player wants to play for the Thunder because the organization routinely plays to lose.

Holy **** Chet out for the season
What we all feared. Stick men and fatties don't seem to hold up to the NBA game, it is just too physically demanding. Courts are bigger, the pace is faster and the opponents are bigger/faster/stronger.
But it's his foot. Seems more like a fluke than a "can't hold up against bigger men" type of thing.
And it happened at a pro-am.

I just saw the replay of when it happened. Was against LeBron but had nothing to do with size or muscle. Just an untouched jump where he landed wrong.

Most likely it wasn’t from the wrong landing. Most likely it was from when he was stepping back and then tried to quickly change direction. The court did have moisture on it (they ended up cancelling the game later due to it)—so that may have played a small role in it.
In this age of load management during the regular season, what the hell are these guys doing on a high school looking court?
Honestly—in general—I don’t have an issue with basketball players playing basketball in the offseason. The way you improve your game is through practicing and playing. Heck—Lebron was on the same court. Right now you have the Fiba tournament where you have multiple NBA stars and superstars playing. You also have many private training camps where they run full court 5 on 5 games for practice. Recently —Kyrie, KD, Trae, Michael Porter Jr, and others were just working out together and running games and scrimmages. Paul George snapped his leg in half playing for Team USA in the offseason in Vegas. Another example —I live in Southern California—I can tell you that I’ve seen college and NFL wide receivers running routes (running hard, making cuts and jukes) in local parks that are home to youth soccer games. These are multi-million dollar athletes playing on fields that are not maintained to the level of professional football players. Injuries and accidents happen. That’s not avoidable during the season—and it’s not completely avoidable in the off season. Working out and practicing also carry risk. If basketball players just stopped playing basketball in the offseason—you’d just end up seeing a tsunami of injuries during the season as their bodies wouldn’t be acclimated to game pace.

Holy **** Chet out for the season
What we all feared. Stick men and fatties don't seem to hold up to the NBA game, it is just too physically demanding. Courts are bigger, the pace is faster and the opponents are bigger/faster/stronger.
But it's his foot. Seems more like a fluke than a "can't hold up against bigger men" type of thing.
And it happened at a pro-am.

I just saw the replay of when it happened. Was against LeBron but had nothing to do with size or muscle. Just an untouched jump where he landed wrong.

Most likely it wasn’t from the wrong landing. Most likely it was from when he was stepping back and then tried to quickly change direction. The court did have moisture on it (they ended up cancelling the game later due to it)—so that may have played a small role in it.
In this age of load management during the regular season, what the hell are these guys doing on a high school looking court?
Honestly—in general—I don’t have an issue with basketball players playing basketball in the offseason. The way you improve your game is through practicing and playing. Heck—Lebron was on the same court. Right now you have the Fiba tournament where you have multiple NBA stars and superstars playing. You also have many private training camps where they run full court 5 on 5 games for practice. Recently —Kyrie, KD, Trae, Michael Porter Jr, and others were just working out together and running games and scrimmages. Paul George snapped his leg in half playing for Team USA in the offseason in Vegas. Another example —I live in Southern California—I can tell you that I’ve seen college and NFL wide receivers running routes (running hard, making cuts and jukes) in local parks that are home to youth soccer games. These are multi-million dollar athletes playing on fields that are not maintained to the level of professional football players. Injuries and accidents happen. That’s not avoidable during the season—and it’s not completely avoidable in the off season. Working out and practicing also carry risk. If basketball players just stopped playing basketball in the offseason—you’d just end up seeing a tsunami of injuries during the season as their bodies wouldn’t be acclimated to game pace.
Especially when you are made out of straw, like Chet.

you nerds can throw all the facts at me you want but we still gonna get these Chet jokes off

The jokes are funny, but we know there are some posters in here that wanted him to fail or get hurt so they would be right.

Chet is probably one of only a handful of guys you hope he doesn't take rehab to seriously and he sits on couch eating McDonald's everyday and watching soap operas for the next 6 months, but his injury had nothing to do with his size.

Yikes. I must have completely missed the Knicks giving a big long term extension to Randle. Wonderful way to stay mediocre.

If Lakers are desperate to move Westbrook, there's your partner. I'm sure the Knicks would throw in Fournier. Think this is MUCH MUCH MUCH more likely than the Pacers giving Turner & Hield.

you nerds can throw all the facts at me you want but we still gonna get these Chet jokes off

The jokes are funny, but we know there are some posters in here that wanted him to fail or get hurt so they would be right.

Chet is probably one of only a handful of guys you hope he doesn't take rehab to seriously and he sits on couch eating McDonald's everyday and watching soap operas for the next 6 months, but his injury had nothing to do with his size.
I agree in regard to this situation. The dude is super skinny and tall—which could give him long term durability issues—but his tall/thin frame is not going to somehow make him more prone to foot injuries. In fact—I would argue that heavier players are more likely to have foot injuries than players that are lighter. For example Zion. Let’s also look at Anthony Davis. Has he gotten less injury prone as he’s put on muscle? I’d say no. I get that people want to pick on Chet for his frame—and frankly—the dude could use some more muscle on his frame—but the notion that his frame made him more likely to suffer an injury like the one he suffered here is grasping at straws imo.

:kicksrock:
Another Magic season over before it starts

@wojespn

Orlando Magic guard Gary Harris suffered a torn meniscus in his left knee and will undergo further evaluation to determine a timetable for a return, sources tell ESPN.

https://www.theonion.com/chet-holmgren-assures-fans-he-ll-be-back-and-perfectly-1849459073

OKLAHOMA CITY—After suffering a foot injury that will cost him the entire 2022-23 season, Oklahoma City Thunder rookie Chet Holmgren reportedly assured fans Friday that he’ll be back and perfectly healthy for nine games next year. “Missing my rookie year in this league isn’t what I wanted, but I want everyone to know that I’ll be back bigger and stronger for a week and half of games early in the 2023-24 season before getting hurt again,” said Holmgren, adding that he would spend the next year focusing on getting better so he can help his team for a few games next November before getting injured and focusing on getting better again. “I’m going to do everything in my power to get healthy and make it back to the court, where I’ll most likely get hurt again, unless I get hurt in the locker room before I can make it back to the court. Injuries happen, but at this point I’ve already got my mind trained on being healthy for the 25 or so games I’ll be able to play in the 2024-25 season while dealing with multiple nagging foot and back ailments before the team shuts me down for the season, at which point I’ll look forward to giving my all for whatever team the Thunder trades me to after the front office gives up on me.” Holmgren also assured fans that he plans on being one of the NBA’s biggest-ever “what-if” stories by the time he retires after nine injury-plagued seasons on four teams.

Sexton will get to compile stats on another terrible team. Like what Clev did. 3 spare pieces with no future on team plus some picks.

They can bring in washed up Bron and Brony at the min for swan song in few years

As a Cavs fan, I think I love this trade. Sexton is a pretty elite individual scorer, but a horrendous defender and passer. That kind of game does not translate to the playoffs. Even as bad as Mitchell is on defense, he's still going to be an improvement on Sexton. And Mitchell is so much better as a playmaker and passer. Markennan's true role should be as the first big man off the bench and I wasn't a big fan of Ogbaji, so those losses don't bother me.

Giving up all that draft capital is a big price to pay, but the Cavs new starting 5 is all under 25 years old and under contract for at least 4 seasons. The upside on this team is huge and I certainly think they can develop into a true contender in the next 2-3 years.

As a Cavs fan, I think I love this trade. Sexton is a pretty elite individual scorer, but a horrendous defender and passer. That kind of game does not translate to the playoffs. Even as bad as Mitchell is on defense, he's still going to be an improvement on Sexton. And Mitchell is so much better as a playmaker and passer. Markennan's true role should be as the first big man off the bench and I wasn't a big fan of Ogbaji, so those losses don't bother me.

Giving up all that draft capital is a big price to pay, but the Cavs new starting 5 is all under 25 years old and under contract for at least 4 seasons. The upside on this team is huge and I certainly think they can develop into a true contender in the next 2-3 years.

I guess I'm not sure how much this really raises the Cavs' ceiling though. Mitchell and Garland are both horrendous defenders also. I know that Agbaji wasn't exactly SF size, but this team has no wing defenders. Mobley and Allen can clean up a lot, but their defense is still not going to be great at the highest levels. It seems like a lot to give up for a guy who is not putting the team in Conference Finals territory. Though it seems like Gobert and Dejounte went for that, so who knows anymore.

Definitely think Mitchell will help get Cleveland to the conference finals in due time. It's a definite ascending team. I look at it as their 2022 1st + 3 additional (likely latter round) firsts for a guy smack dab in his prime under contract for 3 more seasons. Guys like that just don't come available that frequently. Sexton and Lauri were going to be bench players for them and really didn't fill a need.

Cleveland absolutely stole him away from New York. CRAZY to think they'd let QUENTIN GRIMES get in the way of not getting this done.

JMO Gobert was one of the biggest overpays in NBA history. In particular paying that much for a 7'1 guy -- without an offensive game -- age 30 seasons and beyond.

Last edited:
JMO Gobert was one of the biggest overpays in NBA history. In particular paying that much for a 7'1 guy -- without an offensive game -- age 30 seasons and beyond.
Man is a 3x DPOY and still gets this kind of disrespect smh. Not like man's game is predicated on athleticism. He just relies on length, footwork, and great instinct. I don't think there's too much to worry about with decline just yet.

I guess I'm not sure how much this really raises the Cavs' ceiling though. Mitchell and Garland are both horrendous defenders also. I know that Agbaji wasn't exactly SF size, but this team has no wing defenders. Mobley and Allen can clean up a lot, but their defense is still not going to be great at the highest levels. It seems like a lot to give up for a guy who is not putting the team in Conference Finals territory. Though it seems like Gobert and Dejounte went for that, so who knows anymore.

The Cavs finished last year with a top 10 defense and a bottom 10 offense without any real wing defenders anyways. They spent most of the year with Markaanen as the starting SF for goodness sake. Mitchell isn't going to be worse defensively than Sexton but is a significant improvement to the offense. Finding some way to get a legitimate 3-and-D SF is definitely the last piece to the puzzle though and that's pretty tough to find.

Also, being able to keep 48 minutes of elite PG play on the court at all times by staggering Garland and Mitchell is an underrated benefit of this trade. Allows a lot of flexibility to the bench units when there's always someone on the court that can set up the offense and score from anywhere.

i thought it was just a meniscus?

Danilo Gallinari has been diagnosed with a torn ACL in his left knee according to Shams Charania.​

The original diagnosis was a torn meniscus, but initial reports were deemed wrong after further evaluation. This the same ACL that Gallo tore back in 2013 and he's now likely to miss the entire season even though an official timetable hasn't been announced.

Do the Sixers have any funds (or the ability to create room) to sign Demarcus Cousins? A few articles out there today about interest and fit.

Do the Sixers have any funds (or the ability to create room) to sign Demarcus Cousins? A few articles out there today about interest and fit.

They are already at 16 players and have to cut someone. They would have to cut 2 people to bring him in. Assuming he would take the minimum, they could do it, but seems like it would be a waste of time for the sixers. They need to be giving Bassey and Reed more time (not that doc wouldn't love to have another veteran he can jam in there).

well apparently they have signed montrezl harrell so certainly no boogie and now have to get rid of 2 players. Queen has to be one. Not sure who the other will be. Maybe have the bubble guys fight Korkmaz in a cage match for the spots.

Wild.

According to The Athletic's Shams Charania, the NBA and NBPA are in the process of finalizing the "In Season Tournament" concept.​

The tournament would involve Cup games through November, with eight teams advancing to December for single elimination matches. Charania notes that the games will be part of the NBA's regular 82-game schedule with the two finalists each playing one extra game.

Wild.

According to The Athletic's Shams Charania, the NBA and NBPA are in the process of finalizing the "In Season Tournament" concept.​

The tournament would involve Cup games through November, with eight teams advancing to December for single elimination matches. Charania notes that the games will be part of the NBA's regular 82-game schedule with the two finalists each playing one extra game.

I see twitter people freaking out about this and the teams in the cup tournament playing a harder schedule since they count for the 82 game regular season, however I saw somewhere else that the games in the tournament woudl replace games later in the year against those same teams, thus making the end of the year schedule easier if you make the cup. Like if the Wolves play at the Grizzleis in the cup, the a later in the season Wolves @ Grizz game would be eliminated. So later in the season when the Wolves are pushing for the 1 seed that's one less game against a quality opponent.

Seems like a logistical nightmare, but it should be fun and make December more enteresting.

Wild.

It’s a great concept when you consider all they’re really doing is being flexible with the schedule a little bit. It creates excitement for in-season games at no real cost.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread