What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2022-23 NBA Thread: “you’ll never let me down like the Heat did”, Miami fan says to giant pile of cocaine (3 Viewers)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Played a decent game. Lost to a contested 30-footer at the buzzer. Probably done for the year. FML. How you go from being the best in the conference to can't tie a damn shoe? :wall: :wall:
Tough break. I don't get how one misses 11 weeks (and counting) with a hamstring injury (even with an aggravation)

They aren't finding a better individual player but 114 games played over 4 NBA seasons and his rookie contract is silly.

Imagine this if he played in a major market. He'd be getting destroyed

Last edited:
Played a decent game. Lost to a contested 30-footer at the buzzer. Probably done for the year. FML. How you go from being the best in the conference to can't tie a damn shoe? :wall: :wall:

I don’t follow the NBA or this thread too closely but just came in to ask about this. 11 games over .500 and now going to miss the playoffs?? What’s the story?

I just can’t believe there are people who prefer this to the NBA.
I do. It’s much so more exciting to me. There’s so much more effort expelled and the players seem to care so much more. I get that’s the nature of the beast though.

Obviously the NBA is much better basketball (the worst NBA team would win every Tournament game by 30) - but college basketball is the better overall product, imo. To me the “imperfection” makes the games even more exciting.

Honestly not sure why one distracts from the other or why anyone would care which “game” other people preferred.

I do. It’s much so more exciting to me. There’s so much more effort expelled and the players seem to care so much more. I get that’s the nature of the beast though.

Obviously the NBA is much better basketball (the worst NBA team would win every Tournament game by 30) - but college basketball is the better overall product, imo. To me the “imperfection” makes the games even more exciting.

Honestly not sure why one distracts from the other or why anyone would care which “game” other people preferred.

I think the reason it is so difficult to like both is because they are different games. I understand they are both basketball, but the way they are coached and played is so different it makes it difficult to enjoy both. I compare it to girls softball and boys baseball.

I think the reason it is so difficult to like both is because they are different games. I understand they are both basketball, but the way they are coached and played is so different it makes it difficult to enjoy both. I compare it to girls softball and boys baseball.
Yeah, not really imo but you’re entitled to your opinion of course. If anything college is played more like “real basketball” - I don’t say that to disparage the NBA at all, just in the context of this conversation.

Anyway if you don’t like college basketball I’m not sure why one needs to disparage it to build up the NBA.

Yeah, not really imo but you’re entitled to your opinion of course. If anything college is played more like “real basketball” - I don’t say that to disparage the NBA at all, just in the context of this conversation.

Anyway if you don’t like college basketball I’m not sure why one needs to disparage it to build up the NBA.

What is real basketball? No one is disparaging college to make the NBA better. The NBA is better. If the worst NBA team went up against the best college team and didn't let up, they win by 60.

I don’t follow the NBA or this thread too closely but just came in to ask about this. 11 games over .500 and now going to miss the playoffs?? What’s the story?
Super inconsistent the second half of this season. I'm more inclined to believe that this is just who this team is. This is basically the same team that made that run (sans Zion). Same coach, same general gameplan.
And @Craig_MiamiFL yeah he's getting destroyed pretty well already. Idk. It was "will be evaluated in two weeks" then "a setback" then "evaluated in two weeks." Just ****ty luck. You hear about NFL running backs taking all season to get back to 100% from a hammy. I personally wonder about our medical staff. Brandon Ingram missed like a month from some "little tweak." Which takes me back to my first point. Not making excuses. Everyone has injuries. But that said, you play half the season without your 2 best players, and though some of the backups can pull weight here and there in spot duty, backups are backups for a reason, and I guess inconsistency is to be expected.
Still very frustrating. Idk the stats, but this has to be one of the worst collapses in NBA history. (first in conference to likely not even making the play-in)

Yeah, not really imo but you’re entitled to your opinion of course.

The NBA is better. If the worst NBA team went up against the best college team and didn't let up, they win by 60.
No kidding I said basically the same - that doesn’t mean it’s “better” to watch. Same can be said for college v. Pro football, but plenty of people like the college game better

Last edited:

Yeah, not really imo but you’re entitled to your opinion of course.

The NBA is better. If the worst NBA team went up against the best college team and didn't let up, they win by 60.
No kidding I said basically the same - that doesn’t mean it’s “better” to watch. Same can be said for college v. Pro football, but plenty of people like the college game better

I guess it depends "why" you like it better. Two separate discussions, one is what is better basketball, one is what's more exciting.

I do think the college game is more of a true style of basketball, but obviously the NBA has evolved a lot and is exciting and the players are just SO much better.

I might find an NBA game more exciting than a regular season college game, but March Madness is a whole different ballgame. NBA not even close to as exciting as following the tourney, filling out a bracket, watching the close finishes.

NBA not even close to as exciting as following the tourney, filling out a bracket, watching the close finishes.
Right but that’s just manufactured. It doesn’t make it good. If the NBA did a 32-team one game knockout bracket it would be amazing (and a stupid way to decide a title).

The NBA can’t match a small school pulling a big upset, that’s for sure.

NBA not even close to as exciting as following the tourney, filling out a bracket, watching the close finishes.
Right but that’s just manufactured. It doesn’t make it good. If the NBA did a 32-team one game knockout bracket it would be amazing (and a stupid way to decide a title).

Define "good".

I'm one who loves both for what they are and enjoy all basketball in general.

But then again, right now I'm watching a 13 yr old girls volleyball tournament. I'd take a quality boys 4th grade basketball game over this. It is all about perspective/alternatives.

What's going on with the Nuggets?

Embiid also now just overtook Jokic in MVP odds. Will be close, but 76ers now with a better record than the Nuggets.

Define "good".
NBA basketball

College basketball is far more like what normal people relate to. To me that is the draw. It's sloppier, less refined, and the ability to throw zones and odd defenses at players make the strategy interesting. Anyone can win if they execute a strategy well. Which is why experienced guards matter so much in crunch time.

The NBA game is a game only a select few can play. NBA is about the 3-4 ridiculously talented and athletic players on each team. It's rare to be able to knock down 25 footers with ease. Or get off a set play in under 24 seconds. Or dunk with ease. Or rebound above the rim. Or be 6'8" and be able to cover any position.

College basketball is simply more relatable and strategic.

Finally listened to that Simmons podcast @Crapella was talking about. Oof. I like listening Simmons and even House, knowing they aren't the brightest of fans, but that was really bad even for them - and I mean outside of the Wolves stuff.
Between house seemingly not understanding that it’s about the contracts now (not when they were signed), simmons including this year’s salary, and Wos not knowing the no -guarantees, it was .. something.

Though overall still not a bad list.

With two glaring exceptions. Also, if you listen to Simmons he's obsessed with the idea of the Wolves trading KAT and is convinced it's soon. It's the dumbest take of all his takes. Among a bunch of other reasons they won't trade him, the #1 is that if you trade a billion picks to create a group you know will need time to figure out how to play together you're not going to give up after 21 games (that's what KAT, Towns, and Ant had together this year). Making the Gobert trade and then following it up a year later with a KAT trade would be the definition of GM insantiy and for a guy who has built a career off of making fun of bad GMs it's hilarious he's on the other side here.

With two glaring exceptions. Also, if you listen to Simmons he's obsessed with the idea of the Wolves trading KAT and is convinced it's soon. It's the dumbest take of all his takes. Among a bunch of other reasons they won't trade him, the #1 is that if you trade a billion picks to create a group you know will need time to figure out how to play together you're not going to give up after 21 games (that's what KAT, Towns, and Ant had together this year). Making the Gobert trade and then following it up a year later with a KAT trade would be the definition of GM insantiy and for a guy who has built a career off of making fun of bad GMs it's hilarious he's on the other side here.
I definitely agree. Wolves are all-in with this team for the next 3-5 year and have to hope for the best.

I definitely agree. Wolves are all-in with this team for the next 3-5 year and have to hope for the best.
1-3 titles imo

1-3 titles imo

Play-in titles?

1-3 titles imo

Play-in titles?
No the real ones!

What's going on with the Nuggets?

Embiid also now just overtook Jokic in MVP odds. Will be close, but 76ers now with a better record than the Nuggets.
I think there is a few things. They had a big win a couple weeks ago against the grizzlies that all but locked up the 1-seed baring a catastrophic collapse (hi!) so their effort level had dipped. Jamal Murray has not been playing well. The two new acquisitions (Reggie Jackson and Thomas Bryant have been awful. Aaron Gordon's should is hurt and he just isn't playing the same because of it. Teams have been attacking Jokic differently and his defense effort has been a bit lacking. Malone's rotations have been confounding.

Most of their issues are short term because there isn't much to play for and are injury related (Jamal's knee and Gordon's shoulder). Some of them are real and we might (emphasis on might) be seeing the collapse of this current group of Nuggets.

By the way I took my dumb son (12) to the Globetrotters today and paid the extra $25 for a half hour on the court session to meet the players beforehand :-)flex: :money:). Both I would highly, highly recommend to anyone with kids who dig hoops. We've gone 3 years in a row now and it's a ****ing blast every time.
Man. This is awesome. Definitely doing this with my son, great suggestion!

awesome thread title
Playing out before our eyes in the Pitt/ISU game
Never understood @Capella 's total loathing of March Madness.
I don’t hate it at all, watch plenty of it. I just can’t believe there are people who prefer this to the NBA. It’s inferior basketball propped up by brackets, upsets and buzzer beaters. Which is fine, it makes for a fun weekend.

Didn't we have the conversation about college/NFL football a couple of years ago and you were on the college side?

Living in NC far more people are college hoops fans than NBA. I've finally gotten over people preferring inferior product. Of course the NFL dominating year round pushing NASCAR and Carolina/Duke/State crap talk off the radio has made it easier.

Personally part of the enjoyment of both the NBA and NFL is the draft and FA. Probably like that for many people around here based on the number of posts during those windoews. College sports just can't compete with that.

Didn't we have the conversation about college/NFL football a couple of years ago and you were on the college side?
No?

I’ve often said the atmosphere at a college game is far superior to the NFL but the quality of play isn’t close. CFB did use to offer some fun variations of offense which made it more unique, but that’s in the past. Most teams are just running the same thing now.

No?

I’ve often said the atmosphere at a college game is far superior to the NFL but the quality of play isn’t close. CFB did use to offer some fun variations of offense which made it more unique, but that’s in the past. Most teams are just running the same thing now.
Must have been someone else. I remember people touting how great the college game was and then counter posting how 80% of the "top 25 games" where decide by 20 or more points.

Teams have been attacking Jokic differently and his defense effort has been a bit lacking.
The Bulls shockingly beat Denver in Denver last week. What stood out offensively for the Bulls was Vucevic nowhere the post but instead taking nothing but mid-range jumpers, and making Jokic chase him all around the court. That seemed to wear on Jokic as the game progressed--he shot below 50% and had a bunch of turnovers.

I haven't seen how other teams have played him since, but the Bulls were so effective with this tactic, it makes sense to keep trying it until Jokic adjusts.

I watch a lot of Golden State games and have come to the conclusion that if Draymond Green had been drafted by a crappy team and not been surrounded with talent he would be the 9th-10th guy off the bench or a guy who bounces around from team to team.

I think that's a given. He was very fortunate to get drafted to the same team as two of the greatest shooters ever. Role players are important, and he has done his job well over the years (and also hurt them at times as well), but the way he pounds his chest like he is right behind Steph when on the Warriors dynastic importance scale is hilarious. I suspect most can see through it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread