What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

**** Baseball Hall of Fame Thread **** - Congrats to Beltre, Helton, and Mauer (1 Viewer)

Beltre being up reminded me of this thread. I voted no, but did comment that would change if had five more great years (which he did).

(I also predicted Rolen would never get anywhere close to the Hall, which did not hold up well.)

Beltre, A.Jones, Sheffield and Wagner for me.
Coors effect for me is too vote for Helton. Career at Coors, 0.345 ave, 1.048 ops 227 hr's 859 rbi's, career away 0.287, 0.855, 142, 547. Dramatic difference. He was a below average defender and his career oWAR 54.5 is just so-so considering this home field advantage as just a hitter. Still higher than Baines I suppose.
Mauer should get in, just not a first ballot guy imho and that does come into effect.
ManRam and Arod are still both on the ballots and I would vote for both of them as well now that I'm looking at it.

Latest update from the tracker so far.

With 105 ballots revealed/~27.3% known:

Beltré - 98.1%
Helton - 82.9%
Mauer - 82.9%
Wagner - 80.0%
---
Sheffield - 73.3%
Beltrán - 64.8%
Jones - 64.8%
Utley - 44.8%
A-Rod - 43.8%
Ramírez - 41.0%
Abreu - 20.0%
Pettitte - 14.3%
Rollins - 12.4%
Vizquel - 12.4%
Buehrle - 8.6%
K-Rod - 7.6%
Wright - 6.7%
---
Hunter - 1.9%
Bautista - 1.0%
Colón - 1.0%
Holliday - 1.0%

So mad right now. Especially because I think Beltre juiced. I really need to stop caring about this stuff. It really is a joke.

Congratulations to the three new members.

The voting process is ridiculous but Beltre, Helton and Mauer all have HOF-worthy resumes.

Beltre was an all star 4 times in his career, this is what the HOF has become :shrug:
I'm furious over Wagner. Dudes twelve bad post season inning keep him out? He was the best LHP of the last hundred years when you look at advanced metrics. And I'm still mad Baines is in while Dewey, Lou Whitaker, and **** Allen are not for example. Even Dave Parker should be in over Baines. The writers who vote mostly don't deserve to imo.

Beltre was an all star 4 times in his career, this is what the HOF has become :shrug:
I'm furious over Wagner. Dudes twelve bad post season inning keep him out? He was the best LHP of the last hundred years when you look at advanced metrics. And I'm still mad Baines is in while Dewey, Lou Whitaker, and **** Allen are not for example. Even Dave Parker should be in over Baines. The writers who vote mostly don't deserve to imo.

Baines got in via a veterans committee

"What's your point Vanessa?"

You're ripping the BBWAA who've made a few questionable calls as a group. But these have mostly been errors of exclusion rather than voting in unworthy candidates. Baines was voted in behind closed doors by a small veterans committee; he never appeared on more than 6% of the writers' ballots during his original years of eligibility.

Baines was a DH and a bit of a compiler but he isn't the worst player in the hall. Nor is Billy Wagner the best pitcher on the outside.

You're ripping the BBWAA who've made a few questionable calls as a group. But these have mostly been errors of exclusion rather than voting in unworthy candidates. Baines was voted in behind closed doors by a small veterans committee; he never appeared on more than 6% of the writers' ballots during his original years of eligibility.

Baines was a DH and a bit of a compiler but he isn't the worst player in the hall. Nor is Billy Wagner the best pitcher on the outside.
Who is a better pitcher than Wagner on the outside in your opinion? Non Yankees or roids guys only please. Baines was a good player. He's just an easy mark. The hall is a huge mess imo.

I could get behind Rick Reuschel fwiw.

Last edited:

The voting process is ridiculous but Beltre, Helton and Mauer all have HOF-worthy resumes.
Not really sure about Helton. Numbers inflated somewhat by coors and still not eye popping and also only .90 career shares in mvp voting. Just don’t totally see it.

Who is a better pitcher than Wagner on the outside in your opinion? Non Yankees or roids guys only please. Baines was a good player. He's just an easy mark. The hall is a huge mess imo.

Relievers are tough to quantify. Wagner only threw 900 IP in his career--mostly great and mostly high leverage but that's like two seasons worth of work for Cy Young.

Wagner will get in next year but is he really that much greater than K-Rod who got 7.8% of the vote this year?

This has to be :fishing:

Not really sure about Helton. Numbers inflated somewhat by coors and still not eye popping and also only .90 career shares in mvp voting. Just don’t totally see it.
Totally agree with Long Ball Larry. Numbers inflated EXTREMELY by Coors. Career at Coors, 0.345 avg, 1.048 ops 227 hr's 859 rbi's, career away 0.287, 0.855, 142, 547. Dramatic difference.
Helton's career oWAR (And let's face it, he was a hitter, not a fielder) was 54.5 and he's a HOF'er. (3 seasons with top 10 MVP votes)
Lance Berkman's career oWAR was 54.0 (6 seasons with top 10 MVP votes)
And Helton played over 2 more full season's than Berkman.

I'm most disappointed I suppose that Andruw Jones didn't get it. That guy was a hall of famer.

Lou Whitaker
Is this guy ever getting in? His career numbers add up like he should.

He didn't even make the finalist list for the last Contemporary Era veterans' committee in 2022. I believe the committees are on a three year cycle so his next opportunity would be in the 2025 committee (induction class of 2026).

They're not going to ask me but I think the HOF should change the veterans' committee format once again. The current system which was introduced recently has a 1980 demarcation between the Classic and Contemporary eras. The pre-1980 candidates have had ample time for their cases to be argued. The various committees have righted their share of historical omissions but Bill Dahlen isn't going to care if he ever makes it in. Future post-1980 committees are going to get inundated by steroid era stars and the politics that come with them which will probably hurt 1980-2000 players like Whitaker.

Last edited:
Lou Whitaker

He didn't even make the finalist list for the last Contemporary Era veterans' committee in 2022. I believe the committees are on a three year cycle so his next opportunity would be in the 2025 committee (induction class of 2026).

They're not going to ask me but I think the HOF should change the veterans' committee format once again. The current system which was introduced recently has a 1980 demarcation between the Classic and Contemporary eras. The pre-1980 candidates have had ample time for their cases to be argued. The various committees have righted their share of historical omissions but Bill Dahlen isn't going to care if he ever makes it in. Future post-1980 committees are going to get inundated by steroid era stars and the politics that come with them which will probably hurt 1980-2000 players like Whitaker.
You are right. Those early to mid 80's guys are kinda screwed.

Lou Whitaker

Dahlen get screwed again.
Some of us still care.

Users who are viewing this thread