What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2024 Buffalo Bills (2 Viewers)

Two more fun stats:

-Bills punted zero times last night
-Bills blitzed zero times last night. That’s right, they blitzed ZERO times and had SEVEN sacks

LOVE the game we saw last night. Like was said a few posts ago, the turnovers are concerning. Also concerning is that if Josh Allen does not swallow some pride, he will get killed on one of these runs eventually. I love his moxie, but one day some one is going to tee off on him.

That said, an all around amazing performance. I will chalk to Cook fumble up to rookie, first game jitters. Moss has no excuse though for someone who fought so hard to regain a role.

No comments on the game?

It was a fun one to go to. :hifive:

Not much to complain about with the Bills execution. A couple of the runs early in the game left me scratching my head. I was also bummed they punted that first time. It obviously worked out, but the call to punt was a bit too conservative for my liking. This offense should be going for the jugular in situations like that. It sucks for FF, etc. but if you can put a team away and rest started for the 4th quarter, that is a good way to help stay as healthy as possible.

Injuries are obviously becoming a thing. Good news is that most of them seem like short timeframes, but Jackson and Hyde are possibly significant. From what we've seen of this team I'm pretty confident in saying that injuries are the only thing that can stop them.

Also, the game ops were great last night. Kudos to the team for that. Did any of the Bruce Smith, Jim Kelly, Marv Levy pre-game hype pieces make the TV broadcast? They were all really good. I don't recall a public appearance by Levy in several years. That was really cool. He obviously capped it off with the "Where else would you rather be...?" line.

Did any of the Bruce Smith, Jim Kelly, Marv Levy pre-game hype pieces make the TV broadcast?

Not that I noticed. I generally tune in late to the broadcasts, though, so I don't catch a minute too soon of them yammering. But during the ESPN pre-game that was fifteen minutes to a half hour before the show, I didn't see it. I could have been flipping around also, though, so my word isn't bond.

That was a curb stomping last night. Holy hell, we have to play you guys twice (The Jets). That's no fun. You've got that division on lockdown for about the next two years. (Until Diggs gets too old, really). Still can't run the ball in short yardage situations, though. Watch that become the Achilles heel for BUF, because I can't think of anything else but injuries.

That clip is a bit odd, with the delay/echo, etc. It sounded much better in the stadium.

Now that I think about it, that points out how much louder the fans are at field level than the PA. Because I could hear everything fine over the PA.

The Bills are 2nd in the league in pressure rate and yet have only blitzed 3 times total so far. That’s nuts.

I’m pretty down on their chances this week though with so many injuries. Allen always gives them a chance, but all the defensive injuries are going to be a problem.

The Bills are 2nd in the league in pressure rate and yet have only blitzed 3 times total so far. That’s nuts.

I’m pretty down on their chances this week though with so many injuries. Allen always gives them a chance, but all the defensive injuries are going to be a problem.
Starting two rookie corners against Hill and Waddle certainly isn't ideal, but at least our front seven should be ready to go.

Meanwhile, Miami has (by far) the worst defense we've faced so far this year. It's cute that they were able to slow down [checks notes] Matt freaking Jones and whoever the Patriots were trotting out there at WR, but sleepy time is over. I'll believe that they can control our offense when they do it.

Starting two rookie corners against Hill and Waddle certainly isn't ideal, but at least our front seven should be ready to go.

Meanwhile, Miami has (by far) the worst defense we've faced so far this year. It's cute that they were able to slow down [checks notes] Matt freaking Jones and whoever the Patriots were trotting out there at WR, but sleepy time is over. I'll believe that they can control our offense when they do it.
Miami's D is not playing well yet. The Injuries at corner are definitely showing and X can't do it all by himself. Jones comes back week 5 but IF (IF) Miami's line can stand up to the bills rush it should be another shootout like last week. If Miami's O line cannot, then it will look like the Bills game vs. The titans.

Edit to add: It's nice to see this thing start up again where the Bills and phins could be a thing again. There is a lot of Mutual respect between the teams, but both want to beat the other. (Kind of like Marino Kelly back in the day)

Edit to add: It's nice to see this thing start up again where the Bills and phins could be a thing again. There is a lot of Mutual respect between the teams, but both want to beat the other. (Kind of like Marino Kelly back in the day)
If there's one thing that can bring Buffalo and Miami fans together, it's being glad that people are talking about our rivalry taking off again because New England isn't relevant any more.

If there's one thing that can bring Buffalo and Miami fans together, it's being glad that people are talking about our rivalry taking off again because New England isn't relevant any more.
I started getting into football back in the Kelly/Marino days. I was young, like 6/7 years old, I've ALWAYS hated Miami, ALWAYS.. I actually got kinda pissed when we had Brian Cox Jr on the team.
I wanted no part of him being on this team. Yeah, it'll bring us together so I can crack skulls.. lol

Those were the days - the Bills and Dolphins being good year after year and the Pats, Jets, and Colts being average, at best.

No Ed Oliver either, which is a bit of a surprise. And I don't think there's any guarantee Davis will play.

I still expect to win regardless, but I'm also not going to worry about it if we suffer a fluke loss. This is kind of shaping up to be like last year's wind game.

And I don't think there's any guarantee Davis will play.
He seems to be pretty confident he'll play.

Either way, considering they have a relatively healthy offense, and considering how much cover-0 the Dolphins play, and how well Allen plays against pass rush and out of pocket, I fully expect the Bills to put up 40 or so. So, as long as the beat up defense can get a few stops, which should be very reasonable as long as whatever safeties end up playing follow the number one rule of a safety - don't let a receiver get behind you - they should get the win.

No Ed Oliver either, which is a bit of a surprise. And I don't think there's any guarantee Davis will play.

I still expect to win regardless, but I'm also not going to worry about it if we suffer a fluke loss. This is kind of shaping up to be like last year's wind game.
As a dolphin fan, my feeling is the game we need to beat the bills this year is likely the third time we face them. The first 2 probably don't matter.

That’s a long time for a “little ankle sprain” as Ed described it.

I thought he’d initially said it was minor he’d be back week 2.

Week 4 is now looking like best cases, so 3 weeks+

Wondering if it was a high ankle.

Speaking of the weather, the Bills will be getting a little break on the heat. We've had a long streak of high temps in the low to mid 90s, including 94 yesterday with heat index well over 100. Today and tomorrow, winds will be switching to the north cooling us down to about 89 at game time with a heat index of only 99. 40% chance of a shower.

I'm curious about how the field at Hard Rock will be after Messi and Argentina beat Honduras yesterday, and the Miami Hurricanes play today at 3:30pm.

I figured Hyde was destined for IR or retirement when he started looking around for a second opinion on his neck. Sucks obviously, but that's football and this is the sort of injury that shouldn't be hard to overcome.

I figured Hyde was destined for IR or retirement when he started looking around for a second opinion on his neck. Sucks obviously, but that's football and this is the sort of injury that shouldn't be hard to overcome.
Anyone have a link to a good writeup on the whole situation? I honestly didn't even see the play, so I've had no idea what to think about his injury. For whatever reason the game didn't seem to get a replay on NFLN, unless I missed it. I really wanted to re-watch just to see what the injuries looked like.

Just found a clip on Youtube. Micah's injury didn't look anywhere near as bad as Jackson's.

Anyway, I hope he does what's best for him and his family. That's certainly more important than winning a game.

So who takes his place? Hamlin? Johnson? Are we signing anyone?
Johnson.

I'm sure we'll probably sign somebody to add another S though anyway.
Definitely Johnson. He’s been in the wings for a while. He has the potential to be a pretty good player and the plan is likely for him to take over for Poyer next year. So now he gets to start a year early. Not ideal and ideal week for him to have to get in there to start with the speed of Hill and Waddle and all the other secondary injuries, but it’s next man up.

This is certainly one of those games where it's good to have some tempered expectations going in. A loss today would be a bummer obviously, but this is honestly kind of crazy and reminiscent of last year's wind game against New England. If Miami were allowed to select from a menu of catastrophic injury choices -- one that excludes anything QB-related -- they would absolutely pick "have their entire starting secondary out" 10 times out of 10. Toss in Oliver being out and Settle still being banged up somehow, and this definitely makes it a tougher matchup.

But then again, we all over-reacted to the first NE game last year too. And it turned out that that game told us absolutely nothing useful about either team, except the obvious point about the pass-heavy team being more impacted by playing in hurricane conditions than the team that didn't want their QB throwing the ball anyway. Except for Hyde, none of the Bills' injuries are any big deal, and we'll have all these guys back, along with Tre, by the time we roll out of the bye week. This week is a really weird speed bump, but lots of teams have to deal with stuff like this and we're certainly not unique.

On the other hand, imagine how good you'd feel getting a win under these conditions, as we're still favored to do. Would it be possible to demoralize a division rival any further?

Good luck today

-I have memories that roll back to when you all rolled out Joe Ferguson for a while, I've seen it all except when the early 70s Phins were dominant. I have been somewhat supportive of the Bills when Brady was with the Patriots, anyone but the Pats was the motto pretty much for all 3 other teams but now you all have taken our lunch money so often and with such decisive force it leaves you with PTSD as an opposing fan.

I'm not going to talk a lot of smack, we have a lot of work to do and our defense is not playing at the level they did a year ago.
This will be a good test for Miami and I am understanding and aware of all the injuries Buffalo carries into the game on their defense.

Good luck today

-I have memories that roll back to when you all rolled out Joe Ferguson for a while, I've seen it all except when the early 70s Phins were dominant. I have been somewhat supportive of the Bills when Brady was with the Patriots, anyone but the Pats was the motto pretty much for all 3 other teams but now you all have taken our lunch money so often and with such decisive force it leaves you with PTSD as an opposing fan.

I'm not going to talk a lot of smack, we have a lot of work to do and our defense is not playing at the level they did a year ago.
This will be a good test for Miami and I am understanding and aware of all the injuries Buffalo carries into the game on their defense.
I have memories of the 70s and they were awful. Also remember tearing down the goal posts in our season opener in 1980 when we FINALLY beat the Dolphins.

Miami is definitely up and coming. They are also fortunate to be facing our secondary this week. Should be a fascinating game.

The injuries are obviously the biggest concern, but I think an under the radar issue is Buffalo’s struggles in short yardage situations. They have been pretty bad at it and there’s really no excuse for it with Allen under center.

Being 2nd and goal at the 2 yard line and not scoring is problematic.

On one hand it’s kind of amazing they were in the game as much as they were and had a chance to win. On the other hand, with how much they dominated the game in a lot of ways, it’s frustrating they couldn’t find a way to win. When healthy though, I still think they’re the clear best team in the league.

Re: short yardage. Unless I am mistaken they have not run a QB sneak yet this year?

Are the Dolphins the new Patriots? Tampering, bribing their coach to lose, bending the rules and putting their QB in with a “back injury”?

I kinda like Cincy on Thurs, Miami just came off a gruelling win in the heat, will they be up for Thurs night?

Re: short yardage. Unless I am mistaken they have not run a QB sneak yet this year?

Are the Dolphins the new Patriots? Tampering, bribing their coach to lose, bending the rules and putting their QB in with a “back injury”?

I kinda like Cincy on Thurs, Miami just came off a gruelling win in the heat, will they be up for Thurs night?
They even hired a Patriots Coach thru all of that
They also were set to bring in Brady as part owner with Sean Payton as head coach
Only owner I have ever known that received this kind of punishment and suspension which is saying a lot when you have members like Daniel Snyder

Buf 497 yds
Mia 200 yds

Buf 40 Minutes
Mia 20 Minutes

Chances of Miami winning?
About the same as them beating the Ravens last week trailing 35-14 in the 4th

Starting to feel like Tua Tebow

The injuries are obviously the biggest concern, but I think an under the radar issue is Buffalo’s struggles in short yardage situations. They have been pretty bad at it and there’s really no excuse for it with Allen under center.

On one hand it’s kind of amazing they were in the game as much as they were and had a chance to win. On the other hand, with how much they dominated the game in a lot of ways, it’s frustrating they couldn’t find a way to win. When healthy though, I still think they’re the clear best team in the league.
I agree, but they are 0-7 now in games decided by 7 points or less since the start of last season. No idea why they struggle to win the close games, but they need to figure it out. When they are firing on all cylinders, it is something to behold, as they can blow anyone out, but you can't expect to blow out everyone in the playoffs.

I agree, but they are 0-7 now in games decided by 7 points or less since the start of last season. No idea why they struggle to win the close games, but they need to figure it out. When they are firing on all cylinders, it is something to behold, as they can blow anyone out, but you can't expect to blow out everyone in the playoffs.
The historical data from Football Outsiders seems to indicate that one score games tend to have a lot of variance to them and that overall quality of team is more predictive of winning/losing close games than it being “a thing”. So it’s more likely that they’ve just had a bunch of bad beats in close games and that it will eventually swing back the other way.

The fact that they’ve had that few close games over that time period is really a bigger outlier and more indicative of the quality of their team overall.

The injuries are getting stupid.

Tommy Doyle out for year with torn ACL.
Ryan Bates in concussion protocol.
Christian Benford out for a few weeks with a broken hand.
Jake Kumerow with a high ankle sprain.

This is getting out of hand. Bills were probably the deepest team in the league, but you can only withstand so much. The secondary badly needs Poyer back. And hopefully Tre is only a couple of weeks away from returning. The secondary is in shambles and the O-line is hurting as well. Hopefully Oliver and Phillips are back this week as well.

He almost certainly wouldn’t have played anyway, but Xavier Rhodes already missed practice today due to a hamstring injury, sigh.

Good news is that Dane Jackson expects to play this week. As does Gabe Davis and Ryan Bates. Hopefully they get Morse back as well.

Sounds like Phillips and Oliver still likely out though.

Buffalo fans, how do you see Sunday's game going? It looks to be a rainy mess weather-wise.
Honestly, I have no idea. It should be a good game regardless, but between the bad weather expected and a whole lot of uncertainty as to who will actually be healthy and play for the Bills, I’m not really sure what to expect.

Buffalo very well could be without their starting Center, WR2, both starting DTs, both starting Safeties, and their top 3 CBs.

OR

They may just be without one starting DT (Phillips) their #1 (White) and #3 (Benford) CBs and a starting Safety. (Hyde)

Depending on who is actually playing, and how healthy they are, the game could go in a lot of different directions. That’s not even factoring in weather.

Jackson is playing really really well right now. I think he and Allen are probably neck and neck for MVP front runner at the moment. I think if Buffalo can stay disciplined and keep him contained from breaking big runs outside, that the game tips towards Buffalo a bit. That’s a huge ask, but the Bills have done it previously against him, though again, he’s playing better now than he ever has IMO. And so far the Ravens defense has not seemed to be what we’d expect from a Baltimore defense so I think the Bills should be able to put up points. This game may just come down to who can win the turnover battle.

From the Baltimore side, they've lost both CB Fuller & NT Pierce for the year. Marcus Peters is still playing himself into shape after not playing since 2020. The two biggies - and no one is sure how much either will play because the Ravens are world-class liars - are Ronnie Stanley & Dobbins. If Stanley can't go and swing OL Mekari is still banged up, they'll be playing a rookie at LT who never played that position in college. They REALLY need Dobbins to be back and be dynamic. Lamar is going to run himself into the ground otherwise (I think he's accounted for like 90% of Baltimore's yardage this season). I think the defense will round into shape, though it might not be in this game.

Given the weather expected and the fact that every Ravens' game has weird stuff happen, something funky is liable to turn this one - missed kick, fumbled kick return, odd-ball turnover, etc....

I don't see a blowout from the Ravens side. I could see the Bills rolling. I hope, from a fan's perspective, that's it's close and exciting.

Barring any more injury news, I'm going Bills 30/Ravens 26

Users who are viewing this thread