What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2024 Buffalo Bills (5 Viewers)

Buffalo’s 2nd/3rd string defense shutting down 90% of Indy’s 1st team offense is pretty wild. I mean, yeah, Taylor wasn’t out there, but everyone else was. And 3 series for Indy’s offense in preseason week 1? Eek.

I like some things I saw from Shakir, Elam, Benford and Cook though. The rooks all made some nice plays out there against Indy’s 1st team offense and defense.

Shakir looked great!
He was projected as a slot receiver, but he looked like he can do more based on a couple of the catches i saw on twitter, albeit vs backups. Any chance he eats into Crowder's slot catches?
I think his veteran status and past league production probably gives him a spot, but with as well as Shakir and Hodgins have played along with Davis and McKenzie balling out, I think there’s an outside change Crowder doesn’t even make the roster.

Crowder’s already the #4 WR and 5th or 6th top receiving option at best as is. Shakir’s versatility and Hodgins’ big body will absolutely eat into Crowder’s touches if those guys keep playing the way they’re playing.

McDermott doesn’t like to give rookies a lot of playing time early on so I think Crowder sticks, but I can easily see a scenario where he is a game day inactive towards the end of the season.

The defense has me a bit nervous. Whole lotta missed tackles, not a lot of pressure by the opening D-line, and the CBs all being quite grabby. Having Poyer, Hyde, and Von Miller back will obviously help a ton, but would have liked to see better from them against Denver’s 2nd team.

The offense is going to roll though. That O-line is going to be much improved from last year (IMO). Wouldn’t be surprised if the Bills routinely put up 30+ points.

The defense has me a bit nervous. Whole lotta missed tackles, not a lot of pressure by the opening D-line, and the CBs all being quite grabby. Having Poyer, Hyde, and Von Miller back will obviously help a ton, but would have liked to see better from them against Denver’s 2nd team.

The offense is going to roll though. That O-line is going to be much improved from last year (IMO). Wouldn’t be surprised if the Bills routinely put up 30+ points.
I think we all know that our defense wasn't really "elite" last year, regardless of what the numbers may have said. We feasted on terrible teams playing backup QBs. That said, our D was well above average last season and it should be so again. CB is going to be a weak spot until Tre returns, but the D line should be improved so I figure its a wash, more or less.

We don't need the 85 Bears defense to beat top-flight playoff teams. This team can absolutely win track meets, and our defense is plenty good enough to get that extra stop or two. A elite offense with a top-10 defense is more than enough.

I mean seriously -- do people remember all those scrub QBs we played last year? Davis Mills, Taylor Heinicke, Jacoby Brissett, Mike White, Mac Jones, , Trevor Sieman. Of course your defense is going to put up some ridiculous metrics when that's the competition.

I'm not really concerned about the defense. Yeah, they had a few touchy mistakes today, but on the second and third drive they really stiffened. I think they have made some great additions at DT with FAs, and CB with rooks. Like Ivan said, last year's defense was statistically good, but I think this year's will be better, even if it's not represented in the team D stats.

I'm not really concerned about the defense. Yeah, they had a few touchy mistakes today, but on the second and third drive they really stiffened. I think they have made some great additions at DT with FAs, and CB with rooks. Like Ivan said, last year's defense was statistically good, but I think this year's will be better, even if it's not represented in the team D stats.
It seems like they did that for more than half the games last year. First defensive drive we played like crap, but every drive from then on out we played good, regardless of who we were playing.. I'm not really that worried about it.

Duke Johnson looked great last year with Miami, a full 1 ypc better than Gaskin. And he passed the eye test behind a bad oline.

FWIW, his pff grade was a little higher than any Bill RB in 2021. Any chance he makes the team and muddies an already crowded backfield?

Versus the Jets in 2021.

Duke Johnson looked great last year with Miami, a full 1 ypc better than Gaskin. And he passed the eye test behind a bad oline.

FWIW, his pff grade was a little higher than any Bill RB in 2021. Any chance he makes the team and muddies an already crowded backfield?

Versus the Jets in 2021.
I have my doubts. I don't know the salary situation, but I assume he makes a bit more than Blackshear who has looked really good, too. I could see where they keep Motor, Cook, and Moss and throw Blackshear on the PS.

How often do teams keep 4 RBs on the active roster?

Versus the Jets in 2021.
I have my doubts. I don't know the salary situation, but I assume he makes a bit more than Blackshear who has looked really good, too. I could see where they keep Motor, Cook, and Moss and throw Blackshear on the PS.

I agree. I think Blackshear is more likely to stick around due to age/salary than Duke. Though, I have more and more concern that Blackshear will quickly be snatched up by another team to their active roster based on his preseason. The Bills have other more premium positions where they are likely to have to keep extra guys making it very unlikely they keep more than Singletary/Moss/Cook/Gilliam.

For the Bills, what they do with Mike Love and Hodgins is going to be difficult. I don’t think either one of those guys make it to the practice squad if the Bills cut them and they both have shown quite a bit. Frankly I think the Bills should cut Crowder and keep Hodgins. McKenzie and Shakir provide more value than Crowder in the slot/outside (IMO) and Hodgins gives them a bigger body

I've done a leisurely re-watch of the previous year's season each summer for the past few years now, and I just got through the week 17 game against the Jets on Sunday. If you don't recall that game, that was the one where we had some sort of ridiculously lopsided edge in total yardage and plays from scrimmage -- I think we were outgaining them 300-something to 60-something in the third quarter -- but spent most of the game desperately clinging to a one-score lead. Because Haack had back-to-back-to-back shanks, and also a bobbled snap for good measure. If there was ever an example of a team allowing an inferior opponent to hang around to steal an undeserved win thanks to abysmal STs, that's the game right there. Fortunately the Jets were too bad to capitalize, but I'm happy that we have a new punter.

I'm also very happy to get something in exchange for Cody Ford. Slightly bittersweet since he finally seemed to be looking like a quality depth guy who wouldn't be a liability if called upon to start at G, but "quality IOL" depth is very easy to acquire and I'd rather have the 5th rounder. I'm sure our resident Debbie Downers will be along soon to remind us all about The Saga of Wyatt Teller, but still.

Versus the Jets in 2021.

I agree. I think Blackshear is more likely to stick around due to age/salary than Duke. Though, I have more and more concern that Blackshear will quickly be snatched up by another team to their active roster based on his preseason. The Bills have other more premium positions where they are likely to have to keep extra guys making it very unlikely they keep more than Singletary/Moss/Cook/Gilliam.

For the Bills, what they do with Mike Love and Hodgins is going to be difficult. I don’t think either one of those guys make it to the practice squad if the Bills cut them and they both have shown quite a bit. Frankly I think the Bills should cut Crowder and keep Hodgins. McKenzie and Shakir provide more value than Crowder in the slot/outside (IMO) and Hodgins gives them a bigger body
RBs are a dime a dozen. Every year Bills fans love the 4th quarter darlings in Antonio Williams, Christian Wade the years prior. Every team has someone like him and there’s a 95% chance they’ll be fine to be placed on the practice squad. Too many teams carry an extra back for ST purposes and Tawain Jones is likely safe unless they feel Kumerov is fine and don’t need both.

Moss has looked good this summer. In the winter I thought Moss could likely be traded or cut in the summer. Don’t see it now. Duke Johnson has even looked good this summer. Hoping that means more about our Oline as all the backs impressed

Versus the Jets in 2021.

RBs are a dime a dozen. Every year Bills fans love the 4th quarter darlings in Antonio Williams, Christian Wade the years prior. Every team has someone like him and there’s a 95% chance they’ll be fine to be placed on the practice squad. Too many teams carry an extra back for ST purposes and Tawain Jones is likely safe unless they feel Kumerov is fine and don’t need both.

Moss has looked good this summer. In the winter I thought Moss could likely be traded or cut in the summer. Don’t see it now. Duke Johnson has even looked good this summer. Hoping that means more about our Oline as all the backs impressed
Kromer happened. This offense is going to be so fun to watch with a real run game.

Kromer happened. This offense is going to be so fun to watch with a real run game.
Singletary averaged 4.6 ypc in 2021, which is pretty good. Allen "only" scored 6 of the 20 ground TDs. But Allen ran for more yards in 2021 (763) than in 2020. For those of us considering drafting Allen early, should we temper our expectations a little based on Kromer?

Singletary averaged 4.6 ypc in 2021, which is pretty good. Allen "only" scored 6 of the 20 ground TDs. But Allen ran for more yards in 2021 (763) than in 2020. For those of us considering drafting Allen early, should we temper our expectations a little based on Kromer?

Not because Kromer, I just think because he's evolving as a good passer and the Bills expectations to make the playoffs and bigger aspirations. I wouldn't be surprised if Allen doesn't run like he did last year unless really needed in games and more towards the end of the season.

Interesting. If I am understanding this correctly this is a move to help this year's cap at the expense of the next 2 years'. Freeing space to make another move?

My guess it’s either to open up money to extend someone (Poyer/Edmunds/Knox/Oliver?) or to, at some point, bring in OBJ…

So Bills fans, which of these guys makes the team?

Crowder
Hodgins
Kumerow
Moss
Blackshear
Howard
Sweeney
Morris
Van Roten
Hart
Giles-Harris
Spector
Cam Lewis
McCloud
Love
Lawson

Any other surprise cuts or guys that make the roster?

So Bills fans, which of these guys makes the team?

Crowder
Hodgins
Kumerow
Moss
Blackshear
Howard
Sweeney
Morris
Van Roten
Hart
Giles-Harris
Spector
Cam Lewis
McCloud
Love
Lawson

Any other surprise cuts or guys that make the roster?

My list: Crowder, Kumerow, Moss, Howard, Hart, Giles-Harris, Lewis, Lawson

Tre White will start the season on PUP IMO.

One potential “surprise” could be Howard cut or traded and one of Sweeney or Morris making the 53.

Oh man. Our punter was just accused in a civil suit filed today of gang raping a 17 year old girl while at SDSU.

Link

If it seems to be potentially true at all, get him out of here.

Oh man. Our punter was just accused in a civil suit filed today of gang raping a 17 year old girl while at SDSU.

Link

OMG. What timing.

And, yeah, unless there is any sort of "This is complete BS argument/proof", cut ties. Despicable.

Link

OMG. What timing.

And, yeah, unless there is any sort of "This is complete BS argument/proof", cut ties. Despicable.

I guess it’s possible that’s the case. The statement from Buffalo makes it sound like they already knew about it and already looked into it. The fact he is still a Bill seems like maybe they think it doesn’t have merit? Though it wouldn’t be the first time a team looked the other way for an athlete (though this regime seems more likely to emphasize character and not make excuses)

“From the Bills: “We were recently made aware of a civil complaint involving Matt from October 2021. Due to the serious nature of the complaint, we conducted a thorough examination of this matter. As this is an ongoing civil case, we will have no other comment at this point.””

Link

OMG. What timing.

I guess it’s possible that’s the case. The statement from Buffalo makes it sound like they already knew about it and already looked into it. The fact he is still a Bill seems like maybe they think it doesn’t have merit? Though it wouldn’t be the first time a team looked the other way for an athlete (though this regime seems more likely to emphasize character and not make excuses)

“From the Bills: “We were recently made aware of a civil complaint involving Matt from October 2021. Due to the serious nature of the complaint, we conducted a thorough examination of this matter. As this is an ongoing civil case, we will have no other comment at this point.””
I sure hope that doesn't end up being the case. I'd rather have dignity than wins. (Yeah, I'm looking your way Browns.)

It sounds like he should be cut.

Even if it is not as bad as the article claims, she contacted the police the next day. That doesn’t seem like a shake down.

After reading about the phone calls she made under the direction of the police, I’m not sure why he wasn’t arrested and charged, but the Bills absolutely have to get rid of him. I don’t know what kind of BS “investigation” they did, but right now they look awful. And they look worse every hour he is still on the team.

After all their talk about character and having the right guys and all that, if they don’t do something ASAP, then they’re all revealed as frauds. Frankly, they’re already frauds if they knew about this and “investigated” it and did nothing. I love this team, but I’m not watching a second of them until they get rid of this guy.

Even if it is not as bad as the article claims, she contacted the police the next day. That doesn’t seem like a shake down.

After reading about the phone calls she made under the direction of the police, I’m not sure why he wasn’t arrested and charged, but the Bills absolutely have to get rid of him. I don’t know what kind of BS “investigation” they did, but right now they look awful. And they look worse every hour he is still on the team.

After all their talk about character and having the right guys and all that, if they don’t do something ASAP, then they’re all revealed as frauds. Frankly, they’re already frauds if they knew about this and “investigated” it and did nothing. I love this team, but I’m not watching a second of them until they get rid of this guy.
I've had the misfortune of having to deal with situations (plural -- very plural, unfortunately) like this IRL. I have yet to encounter a single instance in which I regretted reserving judgement and waiting to see the evidence.

If Araiza raped somebody, then obviously we should cut him. But we don't actually know that at this point.

I've had the misfortune of having to deal with situations (plural -- very plural, unfortunately) like this IRL. I have yet to encounter a single instance in which I regretted reserving judgement and waiting to see the evidence.

If Araiza raped somebody, then obviously we should cut him. But we don't actually know that at this point.
The pre-text calls are pretty not great for Araiza. At the very least he admits to having sex with an underage girl and tells her to get checked for STDs.

This is serious enough that if they’re not going to cut him, they need to come out with more evidence in support of him or bench him until things are cleared up. If it turns out that there is more evidence against him and they’ve let him play all season, that is going to be an absolutely awful look and taint the entire season. He’s a punter and this team is a Super Bowl favorite. He’s not worth the headache and distraction.

The pre-text calls are pretty not great for Araiza. At the very least he admits to having sex with an underage girl and tells her to get checked for STDs.

This is serious enough that if they’re not going to cut him, they need to come out with more evidence in support of him or bench him until things are cleared up. If it turns out that there is more evidence against him and they’ve let him play all season, that is going to be an absolutely awful look and taint the entire season. He’s a punter and this team is a Super Bowl favorite. He’s not worth the headache and distraction.
To be frank, I do not care about a college guy having consensual sex with a 17 year old. That's no big deal. If other people want to draw their own personal line there, I guess that's okay, but lots of us have had sex with high school girls -- we were just a few years younger at the time. I'm just interested in the "nonconsensual" part.

Of course there is. There is presently a decent chance he’s a rapist. If you let him play with that knowledge that’s a bad look.

I wasn't talking about what the team should do. That's a whole 'nother ball of wax. I was talking about what the general public and legal system should do.

Of course there is. There is presently a decent chance he’s a rapist. If you let him play with that knowledge that’s a bad look.

I wasn't talking about what the team should do. That's a whole 'nother ball of wax. I was talking about what the general public and legal system should do.
Gotcha. Well, it doesn’t matter what we do. I hope this isn’t true because he seemed like an awesome punter (never said awesome punter before) but it isn’t looking good.

Gotcha. Well, it doesn’t matter what we do. I hope this isn’t true because he seemed like an awesome punter (never said awesome punter before) but it isn’t looking good.

No, it looks awful. Like I said in the other thread, I feel bad having given this guy my attention and starting a thread about him.

Users who are viewing this thread