What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2024 Carolina Panthers: Owner Hires the Next Panthers Future Ex-Coach (1 Viewer)

I think it is mostly fan service. There are a lot of fans in Charlotte that have seemed much more a fan of Cam than the team since he was released and the stadiums have been more full of opposing fans. Tepper throwing money at issues he created.

I think Cam looked washed years ago, so I am less than optimistic. Seems like a pure upside play though.
Fan football prowess has always been an issue in Charlotte.  I know a lot of people love Cam.  I thought he was a huge asset to the community.  From a football perspective he was done after that first lengthy leg issue (ankle I think?).  He'll do way more for the community than he will the team IMO.  Hope he proves me wrong.

The more concerning thing to me is the front office.  Look at everything they did just to end up right back where they were.  That's a lot of collateral IMO.

Last edited by a moderator:
Fan football prowess has always been an issue in Charlotte.  I know a lot of people love Cam.  I thought he was a huge asset to the community.  From a football perspective he was done after that first lengthy leg issue (ankle I think?).  He'll do way more for the community than he will the team IMO.  Hope he proves me wrong.

The more concerning thing to me is the front office.  Look at everything they did just to end up right back where they were.  That's a lot of collateral IMO.

I thought Cam was still good up until the shoulder injury on the hit he took in Pittsburgh.  Was never the same after that. I also think it's good for the fans to bring him back. 

It's always sad to see more support for the visiting team on your home field.  But that's the NFL we have.  The LA Rams and/or Chargers could be undefeated but if they play the Bears, Pats, Packers, Steelers, Cowboys, Eagles, Giants, <insert old school fanbase team>... they will be cheered if they throw an INT and when the other team scores.  The way to overcome that is to become a consistent, winning team.  I hope we can get there one day, but I don't think we've even had back to back winning seasons yet.  

That said, I'd like to see Cam retire as a Panther.  

If it wasn't for the injuries, Cmac could be making the case for the best RB ever.  Never seen someone as quick as him with the power he has.  Dude moves piles like Lynch or Henry.

Excellent game all around.  It's awesome to see #1 back in there in a panther uniform. Brought some juice to both sides of the ball, it seems.  Only wish it was a home game so he could have celebrated with the home crowd.  Hopefully next week he'll have another TD or two.  

I wouldn't mind seeing PJ start and have Cam work like he did in Arizona with a few more series added.  Either way, other teams will have to game plan for the offense with and without Cam.  

Love the speed of this defense and CMC is special. 

You guys have an ultra talented running back corps and a more than competent (DJ Moore is excellent) receiving corps. There's a lot to like about your offense. If Cam can get them the ball reasonably and hasn't slowed down, that could bode really well.

Last edited by a moderator:
They looked good yesterday but I think Cam is going to be pretty overrated going forward. He missed a couple of open throws. But if it gets the team and fans excited I'm all for it. 

PJ looked better than I expected so that's good to see. 

So, what happened to the defense? Who knew Heinicke would come in and torch the defense like that... go figure.

Offense not bad, Cam was good. 

Bad decision by Rhule to go on 4th with 3+ minutes and 3 timeouts, plus 2 min warning. Punt it and play defense and you'll probably get it back with a chance to at least tie with FG. 

Nice return home by Cam but overshadowed by T. Heinicke. 

Not much to cheer about lately.  We knew Cam wasn't the long term answer at QB but now we are reminded of why the Panthers moved on from him in the first place. 

Time for the GM to address the offense. OL, OL and more OL.  Let Robby Anderson go and get help for DJ.  

Have to find that franchise QB.  Any deep playoff run is off the table until the QB job is solved. 

The question is are the people in place capable of making the right calls on what it will take to fix this. And will they make good decisions about who to bring in? 

The question is are the people in place capable of making the right calls on what it will take to fix this. And will they make good decisions about who to bring in? 

I think Rhule gets plenty of opportunity to build the team.  How many years?  I don't know.  I like the way the defense is going and looking forward to seeing how he addresses the offense.  Snow seems to be doing a decent job but I'm not sure about Joe Brady and his play calling.  Darnold was good the first few games but then it seemed defenses were onto the scheme.  It's been a struggle since.  

The GM has ties with Seattle and I have an odd feeling that they'll go after Russell Wilson this offseason.  They can certainly do a lot worse but not sure I like that idea.  Big salary for a guy that has maybe lost a step in the pocket and now has a bum finger on his throwing hand.  

GECKO said:
What are your thoughts on Phil Hoskins?  Is he in a rotation now?

I like how big snacc has played and believe he is working into the rotation.  He's currently listed as Brown's backup on the depth chart but is mixed in along with Gross-Matos.  

Panthers part ways with Joe Brady.

Thought they would give him another year. Interesting timing.  

Another bad showing.  I wonder if the first series of both halves were scripted.  Nice mix of plays, good drives capped by TDs. The rest of the game, outside of the last TD which came on a short field after a fumble... was ugly.  Play calling and execution were subpar outside of those two drives.

The team lacks leaders. 

I'd hate to see them give up on the coaching staff too early but wonder what length Tepper's leash is for Rhule.  

I'd hate to see them give up on the coaching staff too early but wonder what length Tepper's leash is for Rhule.  
His comments blaming Cam for the 4th and 1 play are not going over well with on social media. He seems to have already lost a large percentage of the fan base.

I think it is more likely than not Tepper moves on.

His comments blaming Cam for the 4th and 1 play are not going over well with on social media. He seems to have already lost a large percentage of the fan base.

I think it is more likely than not Tepper moves on.

I believe you are right. Wouldn't be surprised if Rhule is beginning to miss the college game. 

Mediocre once again.  Just no juice in the huddle. Coach pointing fingers is not a good look. 

I guess we're settling in for another top 10 draft pick... and perhaps a new coach. 

Embarrassing at this point. Once again, outside of the first drives (both off and def), these games are hot garbage. 

Tom Brady can have a bunch of XFL backup players and still put up 30+ points.  Well against this team anyway. Is our defense that much worse than the Saints?

Rhule says the process is 1000% working.  Rhule: “As I tell our team all the time, it took Jay-Z seven years,” he added. “Seven years. He had to start his own agency to become famous, to become an overnight sensation. It takes time.”

Jay-Z, you say?  7 years?  It's not like you're starting this team from scratch, coach.  2 years in and you're 10-21. You're not going to make it to 4 years, let alone 7. 

We don't need Jay-Z.  I doubt he could lead us to the SB.   Although, he might be a better coach...  

Mediocre once again.  Just no juice in the huddle. Coach pointing fingers is not a good look. 

I guess we're settling in for another top 10 draft pick... and perhaps a new coach. 

Newton looks like an old washed up boxer trying to hang on for another payday. So this is his farewell tour.   Ruhle has not had a decent QB yet so hard to judge.  Might get another year or might not.

Starting to think we may be in rebuilding mode here.   :mellow:     :lol:

Total yards - 178   

6/14 on third down

7 sacks allowed

Panthers reportedly willing to listen to offers for CMC.  Falls into the Captain obvious files but doubt teams will want to take on his salary and medical staff. 

Out like a lamb.  Fitting finish to subpar season.  Rhule retained for another year.  Interesting number of coaches fired today. 

6th pick in the draft.  Need offense and I could see them trying to trade back to acquire picks.

Panthers reportedly willing to listen to offers for CMC.  Falls into the Captain obvious files but doubt teams will want to take on his salary and medical staff. 
Yeah, saw rumors that Barkley was on the block as well. Same issues as CMC. Just can't seen them moving with those contracts and an injury filled season. 

Out like a lamb.  Fitting finish to subpar season.  Rhule retained for another year.  Interesting number of coaches fired today. 

6th pick in the draft.  Need offense and I could see them trying to trade back to acquire picks.
I think the best thing about keeping Rhule is that there has been a ton of coaching turnover in college and now NFL. Tepper's Panthers do not look like a team that will have their pick of the litter by any means.

ESPN's Jeremy Fowler reports that the Panthers plan to talk to Vikings OC Klint Kubiak for their offensive coordinator vacancy.

The Panthers controversially fired former OC Joe Brady midseason, reportedly because coach Matt Rhule wanted to establish the run more. That's where Kubiak could come in, as the Vikings have employed one of the most run-heavy attacks in the league over the past few seasons with feature back Dalvin Cook. Kubiak has been with Minnesota for the past three seasons, first as a quarterbacks coach for two years and then in 2021 as the offensive coordinator. He is the son of former NFL coach Gary Kubiak.
Panthers fans...I am so sorry.

New OC Ben McAdoo.  Better track record as an OC than a head coach, so he's got that going for him. 

Reports that perhaps Rhule wants to head back to college.  Possibly eyeing the Michigan job if Harbaugh decides to leave for the NFL.  If he wants that I say good bye and good luck.  We need a professional coaching staff.  Odd timing, though, if this is true... hiring McAdoo and then splitting if offered a nice college gig?  

Wouldn't mind seeing Tepper hire Brian Flores and let him go to work for a few years.  

QBs I do not want to see in a Panther uniform next season:

1. Derek Carr.  Capable of taking a team to the playoffs; not capable of leading a team to a SB win. Shows signs of flash but just not that guy.  Inevitably makes that killer mistake. And I'm afraid they'd over pay him. 

2. Jimmy Garoppolo.  See Derek Carr. 

3. Baker Mayfield. See Derek Carr.

4. Teddy Bridgewater. See Teddy Bridgewater.

5. Andy Dalton. See Derek Carr.

6. Ryan Tannehill.  See Derek Carr. 

7. Case Keenum. See Andy Dalton.

8. Carson Wentz.  Interesting but no.  

9. Kirk Cousins.  Best of the bunch so far but don't want to see what they would pay him to lead us to an early round playoff exit, at best.  Cost too high. Same as with Derek Carr and/or Garoppolo.  

10. A current team backup such as Colt McCoy or Marcus Mariota. Fine gentlemen, I'm sure, but not the answer at QB.

All imo

New OC Ben McAdoo.  Better track record as an OC than a head coach, so he's got that going for him. 

Reports that perhaps Rhule wants to head back to college.  Possibly eyeing the Michigan job if Harbaugh decides to leave for the NFL.  If he wants that I say good bye and good luck.  We need a professional coaching staff.  Odd timing, though, if this is true... hiring McAdoo and then splitting if offered a nice college gig?  

Wouldn't mind seeing Tepper hire Brian Flores and let him go to work for a few years.  
What is McAdoo's OC philosophy?  I assume with Rhule wanting more "Run heavy" offense, it will be a RBBC approach killing DG Moore's value for a few more years.  Unless the Def is so bad its all garbage time Passing.  

Rhule heading back to college?  Can't take the heat even with that nice fat wallet keeping him comfy?  

Had not heard that yet, but I can clearly see it happening.  He is not ready for HC in NFL, maybe in a few years he can return. 

What is McAdoo's OC philosophy?  I assume with Rhule wanting more "Run heavy" offense, it will be a RBBC approach killing DG Moore's value for a few more years.  Unless the Def is so bad its all garbage time Passing.  

Rhule heading back to college?  Can't take the heat even with that nice fat wallet keeping him comfy?  

Had not heard that yet, but I can clearly see it happening.  He is not ready for HC in NFL, maybe in a few years he can return. 

There was a report recently that he has shown interest in returning to college. Not sure if totally true but I imagine he has to keep all options on the table.  McAdoo became HC with the Giants after his success as their OC and previously with Green Bay.  He's a Tom Coughlin disciple who believes in a good mix of run and pass.  He was the play caller under McCarthy when they were with Rodgers in GB.  

Brady favored a pass happy offense and Rhule wants more run mixed in.  Supposedly, this is in line with McAdoo's game plan.  We all want a nice mix of run/pass but either way, the OL needs desperate attention this off season.  

Speaking of DJ Moore... there are players on the roster that believe DJ could and should be used like Deebo Samuel with the niners.  They say he's capable of being that type of weapon and is like a WR trapped in a RBs body (or vice versa).  Deebo is thicker, especially below the waist but DJ does have explosive ability after the catch.  Interesting possibility for sure, but knowing the Panthers, they'd over use him in the backfield and get him injured.  

There was a report recently that he has shown interest in returning to college. Not sure if totally true but I imagine he has to keep all options on the table.  McAdoo became HC with the Giants after his success as their OC and previously with Green Bay.  He's a Tom Coughlin disciple who believes in a good mix of run and pass.  He was the play caller under McCarthy when they were with Rodgers in GB.  

Brady favored a pass happy offense and Rhule wants more run mixed in.  Supposedly, this is in line with McAdoo's game plan.  We all want a nice mix of run/pass but either way, the OL needs desperate attention this off season.  

Speaking of DJ Moore... there are players on the roster that believe DJ could and should be used like Deebo Samuel with the niners.  They say he's capable of being that type of weapon and is like a WR trapped in a RBs body (or vice versa).  Deebo is thicker, especially below the waist but DJ does have explosive ability after the catch.  Interesting possibility for sure, but knowing the Panthers, they'd over use him in the backfield and get him injured.  

Love your posts and appreciate you keeping this place afloat but I strongly disagree.  When were we winning?  When Cmac was crushing it.  Couple of freak injuries IMO.  Reminds me of Fred Taylor.  Volume doesn't make these guys more injury prone.  It's being in the wrong place at the wrong time.

Love your posts and appreciate you keeping this place afloat but I strongly disagree.  When were we winning?  When Cmac was crushing it.  Couple of freak injuries IMO.  Reminds me of Fred Taylor.  Volume doesn't make these guys more injury prone.  It's being in the wrong place at the wrong time.
Cmac has had some bad luck for sure. I'm actually glad he didn't put a lot of additional miles on his body this year.  This team has many good parts in place but still needs to solidify the OL, find that franchise QB, and find the right coaching staff.  Of course there are several teams that are looking for the same thing and it's easier said than done.  

Cmac has had some bad luck for sure. I'm actually glad he didn't put a lot of additional miles on his body this year.  This team has many good parts in place but still needs to solidify the OL, find that franchise QB, and find the right coaching staff.  Of course there are several teams that are looking for the same thing and it's easier said than done.  
What is easier?  Upgrade the OL or find a franchise QB? 

Most successful teams have build part from FA and most from Draft selections (gotta make moves!). 

Reports came out yesterday that the Panthers are back in the hunt for DeShawn Watson. I wonder if a Flores hiring gains more traction coupled with Watson news.  

What is easier?  Upgrade the OL or find a franchise QB? 

Most successful teams have build part from FA and most from Draft selections (gotta make moves!). 

Reports came out yesterday that the Panthers are back in the hunt for DeShawn Watson. I wonder if a Flores hiring gains more traction coupled with Watson news.  

Man I hope so.  If Watson wanted to go to Miami, perhaps Flores being there was part of that attraction.  I think Watson would immediately make this team a contender.  Especially with a healthy Cmac.  

I think upgrading the line would be easier than finding a franchise QB.  One draft Rhule went all defense, another he went WR in 2nd after taking another defender in the 1st.  A mix of draft and FA to build the line is needed. But signing all FA at OL would become expensive quickly.  Need guys on rookie deals mixed in.  

This reminds me of when Derrick Henry broke his foot. I saw some comments associating his injury with how much he is used. His broken foot happened early in the game, and it was just bad luck. It had nothing to do with the volume of carries he gets per game.

Man I hope so.  If Watson wanted to go to Miami, perhaps Flores being there was part of that attraction.  I think Watson would immediately make this team a contender.  Especially with a healthy Cmac.  
Tepper said he was going to change the culture when coming to Carolina, and that was in reference to what went down in the organization under Richardson. Bringing in Watson would be the opposite of changing the culture. It would be bringing in a player who has sexual misconduct lawsuits against him by 22 women who don't know each other, and are from 4 different states. It isn't a coincidence with these women making these allegations against Watson. Sure Watson would more than likely make the team a contender, but I'd rather him not be a Panther. There doesn't need to be a conviction to use your common sense that this guy is a sexual predator. 

Tepper said he was going to change the culture when coming to Carolina, and that was in reference to what went down in the organization under Richardson. Bringing in Watson would be the opposite of changing the culture. It would be bringing in a player who has sexual misconduct lawsuits against him by 22 women who don't know each other, and are from 4 different states. It isn't a coincidence with these women making these allegations against Watson. Sure Watson would more than likely make the team a contender, but I'd rather him not be a Panther. There doesn't need to be a conviction to use your common sense that this guy is a sexual predator. 

I appreciate your opinion and I'm sure it is shared by lots of people.  I also agree that it would likely bring heat upon the organization.  I'm not trying to say that Watson is without blame or innocent in any way.  I do believe that he will come out of this and be a different person on the other side. I don't believe he is a monster but he certainly hasn't been a model citizen either. 

If someone doesn't want anything to do with him I completely understand that. I believe in forgiveness and the ability to obtain redemption.  Time will tell and I'm neither defending him nor condemning him. 

Just from a football perspective, I just think that once this is settled, some team is going to have an all-pro QB for years to come.  A QB with a chip on his shoulder chomping at the bit to prove himself both on and off the field. Not to compare crimes (or in this case, accusations since he hasn't been charged with a crime), but there have been players in the past that have gotten past horrible accusations/events to go on to play in the league without further trouble (e.g. Vick, Roethlisburger). 

If someone doesn't want anything to do with him I completely understand that. I believe in forgiveness and the ability to obtain redemption.  Time will tell and I'm neither defending him nor condemning him. 
He hasn't asked for forgiveness. He has denied all of the allegations.

He hasn't asked for forgiveness. He has denied all of the allegations.

He's been quiet likely at the request of his attorney.  We don't know what he's thinking.  It's possible he wants everything out in the open and to apologize for what he thinks happened (in his point of view) but has been advised against it at this time.  I'm sure it's complicated and everything will come out in due time.  He's no saint, for sure.  But I'm not convinced he's done everything he's accused of.  I'm no lawyer or have any stake in the outcome from a personal stand point.  Just have a suspicion that, while he's acted inappropriately, he is not going to be charged or convicted of a crime.  I think they'll settle and he'll tell his story, apologize, etc. If that happens and the league doesn't suspend or take any of its own action, he'll get past this and some team will prosper.  Some teams won't have anything to do with him either way.  Others want to win.  

But again, I don't know.  If Tepper wants nothing to do with him, then case closed and they should shut down any reports that they are interested. I'd love to find a gem in the draft.  

Users who are viewing this thread